Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Thread

Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

Be safe: there's a warning out on Papa John's pizzas.

Choking Hazard.

Especially the new six topping special (the pick six)

too soon?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

And Pats fans wonder why people think they are a-holes.

Besides I don't know how any Pats fan can talk about choking when they went undefeated and lost the SB against a team they were favored to beat by 14 points.

joke (jōk)
    n.
    1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
    2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
    3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
    4. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    5. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

equal time:

Did you hear that Tom Brady couldn't be present for the birth of his son?

Yes, but it's OK. Belichick made sure that somebody videotaped it for him.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-03-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

And yet it would be considered trolling considering you're in a forum on a team the said QB was once the face of.

It would be like me going to a Celtics or Pats forum mocking Tom Brady after his SB losses. I could do that but really what would be the point? I don't like Tom or anything Boston related and I'd be nothing but a troll if I did that.

That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Colts helped give teams a great blueprint of how to beat this Denver team. We hit Manning, flustered him, and our healthy defensive backs jammed Denver's receivers and limited their YAC's, which is how they succeed against other teams. This is why I have a lot of faith in Pags as a head coach. Seattle did a lot of what we did, just with a more talented team.

Still, there is just no excuse for a 43-8 whooping. None. Not on this level. Peyton's body language after the safety made it seem like the safety was worth 20 points instead of 2. That team just immediately looked flustered. I've never seen such pathetic execution. I guarantee that the Colts would have put up way more of a fight last night, as would about any other team.

You nailed it. Something I noticed his whole playoff career with the Colts. He always made me nervous and non confident with his body language and demeanor during high pressure games. I thought maybe he had matured enough and played through enough playoff games now that that had all but disappeared, but I didn't really believe it. Unfortunately, last night proved my theory even more. Feel bad for him though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    They hyped up Dan Marino as well along with various other athletes but again.....
    That's exactly what I mean. He gets so hyped up (more than any other athlete other than Lebron) that he's EXPECTED to win. Anything less is failure.

Another point I was trying to make with the 'look through the eyes of average fan' bit was think if you're not a Peyton fan, yet, you're a fan of football. Almost half the commercials that has an athlete is a Peyton Mannning commercical. He breaks all these records and is revered by most sports analysts and columnists everywhere. But on numerous occasions he comes up short. Or, in other words, what if the media was shoving someone like Philip Rivers down our throat. Being talked about constantly, and have a zillion commercials. Has productive seasons, yet, doesn't even come close to reaching a super bowl. You can't tell me at some point you start thinking he's overrated. Especially, if he goes one-and-done several times, gets completely shut-out and blown-out in the same game... and when finally makes it to the big dance, makes rookie-esque mistakes. And it's not like say....Barry Sanders...where he's considered one of the greatest, but didn't have a chance; Peyton has had multiple chances. Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike about a week ago, and they were talking about Peyton's lagacy, and if he deserves criticism. Carter said yes. And when he was questioned compared to other QBs, Carter said, "yeah, but Peyton always had one, if not THE, top offenses, and still came up short many times.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    That's exactly what I mean. He gets so hyped up (more than any other athlete other than Lebron) that he's EXPECTED to win. Anything less is failure.

Another point I was trying to make with the 'look through the eyes of average fan' bit was think if you're not a Peyton fan, yet, you're a fan of football. Almost half the commercials that has an athlete is a Peyton Mannning commercical. He breaks all these records and is revered by most sports analysts and columnists everywhere. But on numerous occasions he comes up short. Or, in other words, what if the media was shoving someone like Philip Rivers down our throat. Being talked about constantly, and have a zillion commercials. Has productive seasons, yet, doesn't even come close to reaching a super bowl. You can't tell me at some point you start thinking he's overrated. Especially, if he goes one-and-done several times, gets completely shut-out and blown-out in the same game... and when finally makes it to the big dance, makes rookie-esque mistakes. And it's not like say....Barry Sanders...where he's considered one of the greatest, but didn't have a chance; Peyton has had multiple chances. Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike about a week ago, and they were talking about Peyton's lagacy, and if he deserves criticism. Carter said yes. And when he was questioned compared to other QBs, Carter said, "yeah, but Peyton always had one, if not THE, top offenses, and still came up short many times.
    Rivers would be overrated based on how he plays not because of the commercials that's just noise to me I don't care about athlete endorsements I mean I don't buy something because a celeb endorses it.

And offenses don't win championships defenses too. I mean if last night didn't tell you then the 1990 and 1992 Bills, 2001 Rams, 2002 Raiders, 2007 Patriots were also a clue as well.

The 1999 Rams were probably the exception and they literally won that at the very last second on a defensive play.

My point is if the pundits think Manning isn't the GOAT or they think he's overrated and should never even be in the conversation that's fine but stick with it and don't put him in the conversation.

Except they will come September because its the best "storyline" they have I mean really nobody else registers in comparison. Romo perhaps but he can't even make the playoffs. Everyone else is dull to talk about as far as the media is concerned. The narrative has to keep going until he retires then they will be forced to move onto someone else.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton was awful. Best offense of all time, and he only puts up 8 points. Its the same thing every year in the playoffs with PM.
    David "And One" West

My point is if the pundits think Manning isn't the GOAT or they think he's overrated and should never even be in the conversation that's fine but stick with it and don't put him in the conversation.
    But he was playing in a game that would have given him some major ammo in any GOAT debate. How can pundits ignore that?

Last night's game absolutely gave him an opportunity to be put in the GOAT conversation. He has the longevity, stats, MVP's, wins, etc., but he only has the one championship. Winning a late career Super Bowl after this record breaking season and comeback from injury would have been a HUGE feather in his cap. So yeah, there was certainly a conversation to be had depending on how he played.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    But he was playing in a game that would have given him some major ammo in any GOAT debate. How can pundits ignore that?

Last night's game absolutely gave him an opportunity to be put in the GOAT conversation. He has the longevity, stats, MVP's, wins, etc., but he only has the one championship. Winning a late career Super Bowl after this record breaking season and comeback from injury would have been a HUGE feather in his cap. So yeah, there was certainly a conversation to be had depending on how he played.

The same reason they ignored that they said the exact same thing in the last SB loss and yet they went right back and said he needs to win this game to enhance his legacy even though he was supposed to be out of the conversation.

If you haven't noticed the pundits contradict themselves all the time. Which is why nothing they say now will matter come Fall.

And even if the Broncos had won this game he still wouldn't be in the conversation because no one game would've done that no matter what the pundits say. People will always have their opinions on whether they think he's good or not.

All it would've done was made him the 1st NFL QB to win an SB as a starter for two different teams that's pretty much it.

Instead they'll talk about how he failed and not how great Seattle was I mean yes he was bad last night but Seattle was incredible too but it will be overshadowed by "Manning is a failure" because its a more interesting storyline than talking about a Seattle team with a dominant defense that doesn't have any real stars (except Sherman although he's been rather restrained since the NFC title game)

Peyton deserves most of the criticism he gets. Without a resurgent run game and defense back in the Super Bowl year, his tenure in Indianapolis is arguably not a complete success (I would say the Super Bowl victory and Peyton's adroit game management in the SB the Colts won makes it a success). Division titles and MVP's are regular season accolades, what matters is the playoffs. You ask nearly anyone in Indy who the Colts beat in the Super Bowl they could tell you. I bet a lot of people in Indy forget the Pacers ever made the NBA Finals 13 years ago and who beat them. TBH that rarely even crosses my mind now.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Peyton deserves most of the criticism he gets. Without a resurgent run game and defense back in the Super Bowl year, his tenure in Indianapolis is arguably not a complete success (I would say the Super Bowl victory and Peyton's adroit game management in the SB the Colts won makes it a success). Division titles and MVP's are regular season accolades, what matters is the playoffs. You ask nearly anyone in Indy who the Colts beat in the Super Bowl they could tell you. I bet a lot of people in Indy forget the Pacers ever made the NBA Finals 13 years ago and who beat them. TBH that rarely even crosses my mind now.
    What exactly is a complete success here? More than 1 SB? 2? I mean yes I think we should've won more and wished we did but looking back I'm surprised we even won 1 to be honest considering the team is built for the regular season and not the postseason. Unfortunately Irsay never realized that till after Manning left go figure.

I mean I think the Manning era was successful to say otherwise seems rather ridiculous to me. I mean the Bills of the 90s went to 4 SBs and lost that's a fail right there. Or the Eagles with McNabb/Andy Reid 1 SB appearance.

Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

My only issue with the Manning criticism is if he's not the greatest to ever play they why continuously say "Well if he wins this game he can enter the GOAT conversation" I mean if he sucks just say so and stick with it. I mean nothing he does here on out will matter at this point right? But come Fall this will start back up again because he has to "redeem" himself. Have to keep this narrative going I guess.

And yes most if not every other Pacers fan remembers who we lost to in the NBA Finals it was the Lakers and it was hard to ignore considering it became the first of 3 championships Kobe/Shaq won in a row. And as sad as that was I think the 1998 season was more brutal I thought that team was better than the one that did go to the Finals.

You just knew this was coming

http://t.co/ec49lqA4Eh

You just knew this was coming

http://t.co/ec49lqA4Eh
    The title is one thing but the entire article talks about Luck being better....
    Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts has the complete package.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The title is one thing but the entire article talks about Luck being better....
    Except the fact that he won an SB = Is Wilson the best QB of the 2012 draft class was the whole point of the title. I mean I get what you are saying but I don't think winning an SB automatically makes him better and the title is just a headline grabber. I mean Tavaris Jackson has a ring now he's not better than say Matt Hasslebeck.

I also don't expect Mike Wells to be too objective either with his Indy ties and all.

Mood

What exactly is a complete success here? More than 1 SB? 2? I mean yes I think we should've won more and wished we did but looking back I'm surprised we even won 1 to be honest considering the team is built for the regular season and not the postseason. Unfortunately Irsay never realized that till after Manning left go figure.

I mean I think the Manning era was successful to say otherwise seems rather ridiculous to me. I mean the Bills of the 90s went to 4 SBs and lost that's a fail right there. Or the Eagles with McNabb/Andy Reid 1 SB appearance.

Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

My only issue with the Manning criticism is if he's not the greatest to ever play they why continuously say "Well if he wins this game he can enter the GOAT conversation" I mean if he sucks just say so and stick with it. I mean nothing he does here on out will matter at this point right? But come Fall this will start back up again because he has to "redeem" himself. Have to keep this narrative going I guess.

And yes most if not every other Pacers fan remembers who we lost to in the NBA Finals it was the Lakers and it was hard to ignore considering it became the first of 3 championships Kobe/Shaq won in a row. And as sad as that was I think the 1998 season was more brutal I thought that team was better than the one that did go to the Finals.
    A lot of it is because he usually starts off so well in the regular season. Many people start thinking: "This could actually be the year he gets his second ring." The regular season keeps him in talks about how great his legacy, could/should/would be. But whether you like it, or disagree, people remember champions the most...especially as time goes by. When you look up players or teams from long past, you hardly think about how they did in the regular season...you check out how many championships they won. Records get broken and stats come and go, but championships are etched in stone forever.

And about past players and teams that didn't get that elusive trophy...when the pundits talk about a good QB that retires ringless, who do they compare him to? Dan Marino. He's infamous for not getting a ring.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

A lot of it is because he usually starts off so well in the regular season. Many people start thinking: "This could actually be the year he gets his second ring." The regular season keeps him in talks about how great his legacy, could/should/would be. But whether you like it, or disagree, people remember champions the most...especially as time goes by. When you look up players or teams from long past, you hardly think about how they did in the regular season...you check out how many championships they won. Records get broken and stats come and go, but championships are etched in stone forever.

And about past players and teams that didn't get that elusive trophy...when the pundits talk about a good QB that retires ringless, who do they compare him to? Dan Marino. He's infamous for not getting a ring.
    Except regular season doesn't really mean anything beyond postseason seeding yes this season the two top seeds actually made it to the SB but it doesn't always happen that way. When the Colts won it all they weren't the #1 seed the Chargers were. Defense and a ground game matter when it comes right down to it. I mean how many high flying offenses won it all? I mean why do people think that will change all of a sudden?

The playoffs are different you never know what teams show up on what day the 2011 Packers looked unbeatable and got upset at home by the Giants who barely got into the playoffs. There are too many variables in the NFL postseason especially in a one and done format the best team doesn't always advance just the one that was good on that day.

Mood

Except regular season doesn't really mean anything beyond postseason seeding yes this season the two top seeds actually made it to the SB but it doesn't always happen that way. When the Colts won it all they weren't the #1 seed the Chargers were.

The playoffs are different you never know what teams show up on what day the 2011 Packers looked unbeatable and got upset at home by the Giants who barely got into the playoffs. There are too many variables in the NFL postseason especially in a one and done format the best team doesn't always advance just the one that was good on that day.
    Exactly. And in that sense, that's what makes Peyton an enigma. He has record-breaking regular season games, then fizzles out in playoff games. I mean, how can someone break all these records and win multiple MVPs, yet, look very average come playoff time?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Exactly. And in that sense, that's what makes Peyton an enigma. He has record-breaking regular season games, then fizzles out in playoff games. I mean, how can someone break all these records and win multiple MVPs, yet, look very average come playoff time?

Gee I don't know other teams might actually be better? Hard to believe but you need more than one player to win a championship(except where Peyton is concerned apparently)I'm not saying he hasn't played badly or anything he has but people act as if he didn't play well the past two postseason games. Or how the Colts used to crush Denver in the playoffs.

I mean if you haven't noticed most if not all his postseason losses ended up being to teams that ended up winning the SB. They weren't deserving to win? Why?

The playoffs are about matchups we won it all in 2006 because we matched up well with the teams we faced.

Denver didn't match up well with Seattle but the Colts do. Yet the Colts couldn't match up with the Pats but the Broncos could.

I agree with your position about matchups being very important.

It's also important to not clutter up any argument with incorrect info. 6 games out of 12 is not all, or even most (playoff losses to non-champions Titans, Dolphins, Jets, Chargers, Chargers again, and Jets again).

I mean if you haven't noticed most if not all his postseason losses ended up being to teams that ended up winning the SB.

Most if not all but apparently its half although the Titans did end up in the SB that season

Regardless the NFL is a one and done format its not like the NBA or MLB where the best team usually wins its whoever was good on that particular day and some teams match up better with others.

Should I repost the career playoff numbers of Peyton, Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana again? I would really really love how people would explain to me how Peyton's numbers, which pretty much match all the rest of the QBs numbers, are consided "average" when their numbers are supposedly for the QBs who belong in the GOAT discussion.

I just don't think people actually realize how good PM has performed, on average, throughout the playoffs. I say "on average" for a reason, because yes he has some stinkers. He also has some really good playoff performances that balance out those stinkers. Just like Brady, Aikman, and Montana. It's just a shame how Peyton is defined by his stinkers, and people think that's the "real" Peyton playoff performance.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Should I repost the career playoff numbers of Peyton, Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana again?
    Nah - just list their championships. That should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Should I repost the career playoff numbers of Peyton, Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana again? I would really really love how people would explain to me how Peyton's numbers, which pretty much match all the rest of the QBs numbers, are consided "average" when their numbers are supposedly for the QBs who belong in the GOAT discussion.

I just don't think people actually realize how good PM has performed, on average, throughout the playoffs. I say "on average" for a reason, because yes he has some stinkers. He also has some really good playoff performances that balance out those stinkers. Just like Brady, Aikman, and Montana. It's just a shame how Peyton is defined by his stinkers, and people think that's the "real" Peyton playoff performance.
    You make a valid argument, but QB rating means very little to me when judging playoff performance. A QB could have a very good game and then fold or choke or throw a costly pick in the 4th quarter with the game on the line and his numbers would still look good. Anybody that says that Peyton hasn't played below average in the posts season is kidding themselves. You can even see it on his face. He's not the same QB in extreme high pressure games.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Nah - just list their championships. That should be enough.
    Hopefully pogi doesn't move the goalposts. I can't hit moving targets.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.