Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 381

Thread: Super Bowl Thread

  1. #251
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,786

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not perfect obviously but you need to be a complete team to win an SB and while Denver can put on an offensive show Seattle is a far more complete team in comparison at least based on today's game. Denver reminded me of the past Manning teams here live and die by the QB unfortunately Manning picked the worst time to have his worst game.

    The real SB was the NFC title game.

    If anything I think whoever won the AFC was going to end up getting owned by the NFC representative anyways.

    It just bothers me that despite winning an SB he's going to be considered a choker and his career is worthless for only having one SB ring when there are many QBs who don't even have one and just yesterday he was going to be the GOAT. Its the overreaction that I don't get I mean if you don't think he's great that's fine I mean we all have our opinions.

    Its not easy to win an SB despite what the media tells you.

    Seattle was definitely a more complete team, but they absolutely should not have been a more complete team on a 43-8 level. These were two 13-3 teams, one of which had one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. This game came down to execution, not skill level. Denver was PLENTY talented enough to win this game. Seattle wanted it more all night long while Denver had a pathetic dear in their headlights look from the start. The Broncos completely crapped their pants in all three phases of the game. Seattle gets all of the credit in the world for obviously making Denver scared, but Denver's effort and execution was quite frankly pathetic. The Colts beat the Seahawks. The Seahawks are obviously great, but this should not have been a 43-8 game under any circumstances.

    And no one on the planet is ever going to say that Manning's career is worthless. Everyone agrees that he is a top 5 or 10 QB of all time, and most would probably say 5 at this point. But he simply hasn't quite executed at a level to be the very best. He has had two opportunities to win a second Super Bowl ring, but just didn't get the job done. Four years ago he threw a catastrophic pick six against the Saints. Tonight his offense put up just 8 points. Sure the Broncos entire team was hideous tonight, but he was pretty bad himself. Manning is a top 5 all time quarterback IMO, but he just hasn't done enough with his Super Bowl opportunities to be considered the best.

    As far as this Seattle D is concerned, I think they are maybe the best of all time when you factor in how the current rules overwhelmingly favor the offensive side of the ball.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-03-2014 at 12:36 AM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  3. #252

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton most certainly did not play fine...the whole team was terrible sure. That includes him unfortunately.
    He did fine with what he had. A QB cant make a guy block or catch the ball. Get open or even run to the right spot

  4. #253

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seattle was definitely a more complete team, but they absolutely should not have been a more complete team on a 43-8 level. These were two 13-3 teams, one of which had one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. This game came down to execution. Seattle wanted it more all night long while Denver had a pathetic dear in their headlights look all game. The Broncos completely crapped their pants in all three phases of the game. Seattle gets all of the credit in the world for obviously making Denver scared, but Denver's effort and execution was quite frankly pathetic. The Colts beat the Seahawks. The Seahawks are obviously great, but this should not have been a 43-8 game under any circumstances.

    And no one on the planet is ever going to say that Manning's career is worthless. Everyone agrees that he is a top 5 or 10 QB of all time, and most would probably say 5 at this point. But he simply hasn't quite executed at a level to be the very best. He has had two opportunities to win a second Super Bowl ring, but just didn't get the job done. Four years ago he threw a catastrophic pick six against the Saints. Tonight his offense put up just 8 points. Sure the Broncos entire team was hideous tonight, but he was pretty bad himself. Manning is a top 5 all time quarterback IMO, but he just hasn't done enough with his Super Bowl opportunities to be considered the best.

    As far as this Seattle D is concerned, I think they are maybe the best of all time when you factor in how the current rules overwhelmingly favor the offensive side of the ball.

    There's no such thing as the GOAT but because Manning has only 1 ring his career will be considered worthless because despite all the records and MVPs he only has one ring when the goal is to have well more than 1 ring. Its how its going to be perceived even if it isn't reality.

    I mean this season was such a waste all that and to play the worst game of your career on the biggest stage his career will be considered a fraud.

    I don't agree with that but its going to be portrayed as such why people act like it won't is beyond me.

  5. #254
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,786

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no such thing as the GOAT but because Manning has only 1 ring his career will be considered worthless because despite all the records and MVPs he only has one ring when the goal is to have well more than 1 ring. Its how its going to be perceived even if it isn't reality.

    I mean this season was such a waste all that and to play the worst game of your career on the biggest stage his career will be considered a fraud.

    I don't agree with that but its going to be portrayed as such why people act like it won't is beyond me.
    He only has one ring because he didn't play well enough in the two other Super Bowls to get a second . I get that there is no official GOAT ranking or anything like that, but these are legit criticisms. He just simply has not executed at a high enough level on the biggest stage to be considered the best by most people who follow the sport closely and care to debate such things.

    Peyton has had his opportunities. It's not as if he's played on weak teams his entire career. This guy has played in three Super Bowls, but simply didn't get the job done in two of them. He played OK against New Orleans up until the crushing pick 6, but he was downright awful tonight. No one is saying that the guy's career is worthless, but these are legit criticisms.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  7. #255
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    20 minutes ago




    good thing it's fairly warm

  8. #256

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Of course they are legit criticisms but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. Maybe Manning was meant to only win 1 ring I agree that is very disappointing.

    The best team doesn't always win its the one who shows up in this case I think the best team won and they showed up. Defense wins championships not offense.

    But it will be shown as how Manning has failed, choker, etc and all those records etc don't really mean much when it comes to his career even though he's still a great QB(just not today)

    Nobody ever says this about Jim Kelly even though he went to four straight SBs and lost, or Marino all those records and no rings how come he's not a choke artist.

  9. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Easily the worst Super Bowl I've ever seen. I was pulling for Denver, sure, but above all else I wanted to see an exciting game. Yeah... 0 for 2. Let's hope we're treated to something better when the Super Bowl eventually comes back to Indy.

    The Seahawks have the makings of a dynasty. Maybe now Seattle can shut up about losing the Sonics to a superior class of people in OKC.

  10. #258

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    I don't know the Niners/Broncos SB was the worst

    That was 55-10 and it had Montana and Elway in it.

    Like I said the real SB was the SF/Seattle game they really were the two best teams in the NFL when it came down to it. Denver had the fortune to play a bad AFC conference and were exposed to show the NFC is the superior conference.

  11. #259

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Seahawks have the makings of a dynasty. Maybe now Seattle can shut up about losing the Sonics to a superior class of people in OKC.
    I'm glad they're in the NFC. That way if they become the early-2000's Patriots they can be someone else's roadblock every year.

  12. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know the Niners/Broncos SB was the worst

    That was 55-10 and it had Montana and Elway in it.
    I said the worst I've seen, not the worst ever. 49ers vs. Broncos was way back in 1990, long before my football fandom began.


    Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad they're in the NFC. That way if they become the early-2000's Patriots they can be someone else's roadblock every year.
    If we play our cards right, we could become the class of the AFC for the foreseeable future, and maybe even become the Bills to Seattle's Cowboys, or, preferably, vice versa.

  13. #261

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said the worst I've seen, not the worst ever. 49ers vs. Broncos was way back in 1990, long before my football fandom began.




    If we play our cards right, we could become the class of the AFC for the foreseeable future, and maybe even become the Bills to Seattle's Cowboys, or, preferably, vice versa.
    I have no desire to become the Bills it was bad enough the Saints beat us in the SB but to experience that 4 times in a row? I don't think so.

  14. #262
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,500

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Denver now owns the record for most SB losses... 5...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #263
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,293

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton played fine considering how bad his line was playing. Not to mention horrible field position and no run game.

    If a QB gets no help his play of course is gonna suffer.

    People talk about Mannings failures as if hes Tony Romo.

    Peytons entire team played like garbage tonight. You expect miracles from him. And when he fails to deliver you say he chokes in the postseason.
    I wouldn't say that he chokes in the post season, but I would say that he doesn't play his best when it matters most more times than not. One measure of greatness is how you can step up your game with the whole season on the line. The great ones elevate their game on the biggest stages. Don't really see it from Manning most of the time. I was really hoping he had a great game tonight and put some of the doubters to rest......but alas.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  17. #264

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Except you have always said he has so why the change of tune now? I mean really at least own it.

    Weren't you expecting this to begin with? After all you said the Broncos shouldn't have even been the odds on favorite for the SB because of Manning. I didn't trust Denver either they fooled people actually getting to the SB though. There's something missing with this team and it goes beyond Manning at this point.

  18. #265
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,500

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except you have always said he has so why the change of tune now? I mean really at least own it.

    Weren't you expecting this to begin with? After all you said the Broncos shouldn't have even been the odds on favorite for the SB because of Manning. I didn't trust Denver either they fooled people actually getting to the SB though. There's something missing with this team and it goes beyond Manning at this point.
    The first play of the game the ball goes sailing over Manning's head. And from that moment on Manning never looked comfortable. He's the unquestioned leader of the team... if he's not comfortable then everyone else feeds off of it and they are off their game too.

    Manning took a **** on the biggest stage and put another chapter into the book about him choking in big games.

    At this point it is what it is. He owns it. If he doesn't want to own it then he best come as close as he can to running the table in the playoffs on these last few years he's in the NFL.

    Teams know how to beat him. Let the pressure of the moment get to him and let the pressure of the defense get to him. Then watch it snowball.

    Meanwhile, use that weak arm against him.

    Manning wasn't the only reason they lost of course, but he also wasn't there shining star amongst trash either. He played like crap and looked uncomfortable the entire game. It's easier to admit this stuff when he's wearing an orange jersey.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #266

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Of course he played badly hard to dispute that but the Broncos were bad in all phases of the game they were outplayed and outcoached. The better team won but instead the focal point will about how Manning failed.

    Not that Seattle was the superior team they deserve credit for that because they were dominant. We've seen this before #1 Offense(Bills) vs #1 Defense(Cowboys) and we knew how that ended as well. Why was this going to be different? I expected more than 8 points though but that's about it. I didn't think Denver was going to win.

    No its how Manning failed in the SB yet again what a complete and utter loser he is after the season he's had. I get QBs get a ton of credit and also the blame that goes with it but they don't say this about Jim Kelly who lost 4 SBs in a row. I mean at least Manning has won 1.

  20. #267
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,664

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Look what happened in the Denver - Indy game this season, it was a really hyped regular season, SNF game and he was playing in hostile environment (once the game started) and the Colts got pressure on him and hit him, and although he didn't look terrible, the Colts still found a way to get the win.

    That damn botched snap that led to a safety really screwed them over. As if it's not already the biggest game that most of these guys have played in, you have that happen 15 seconds into the game? Manning and the Broncos were on edge the rest of the game, and although Peyton did get into a rhythm, a few times, when the game was still somewhat in reach, the rest of his team collectively **** their pants.

    Thomas gets a big catch for a first down, then fumbles? Come on. Moreno had like 2 almost fumbles. Special teams giving up a TD return on kickoff? My God it's telling how much the team relies on Peyton. If he's rattled and not comfortable everyone just ***** their pants.

    Manning didn't play well, and set the tone with early struggles for the rest of the team to freak out and be horrible.

    Wilson had like 15 passes tonight. I still can't believe the Seahawks ran away with this win so easily. I can totally understand people saying they are the better team, the more complete team, they have the best defense and all. But it's Peyton Manning and that historic record breaking offense. At least make it a game. I don't give a damn how good their defense is.

    Seahawks were playing preseason football in the 4th QTR.

    The Colts beat this damn team, well they beat both teams, but we beat Seattle. We actually scored points when the game wasn't completely over.

    I feel horrible for Peyton and yes, he set the tone for the bad play, but man, the coaching and rest of the team gave him ZERO chance to make it interesting.

    F Denver, though. Glad Elway doesn't get another Super Bowl, but still feel for Peyton. Depresses me.

    Go Colts, Go Pacers, Go Peyton (when not playing Colts)
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 02-03-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  21. #268

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Elway doesn't really bother me I mean if he didn't spurn the Colts they wouldn't have been in Indy to begin with.

    I like John Fox way more than Pete Carroll though.

    Putting that aside hearing via police scanner Seahawks fans burning down Seattle is sadly more "entertaining" than the game itself. I'm glad when Indy did win the SB that nobody trashed the city in the process.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  23. #269
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,664

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    I just hope Peyton can get another ring before it's all said and done. Obviously as long as it doesn't affect the Indianapolis "football" Colts

    It just sucks because Peyton only has a few more years left, and this Seahawks team is young and will be contenders for a decade more than likely.

    I like Wilson and Coleman (the deaf fullback) they are class acts.

    Sherman, to be honest, isn't that bad either. He had nothing but praise for Peyton after the game on Twitter. Said something along the lines of "Peyton is the classiest guy. I can learn a lot from him." Then said, "Let's enjoy this win, Seattle, no need to bash a future HOF player"
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  24. #270
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    So after USC and now Seattle, when do people start heaping praise on Carroll? It's not like he was a disaster in New England, made the playoffs twice then had an 8-8 year but had to deal with replacing Parcells after he took them to a Super Bowl, his stint there was more successful that Parcell's record wise though.

    It's honestly hard to believe the guy's 62, he's full of **** and vinegar. Guys love playing for him.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  26. #271
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,664

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So after USC and now Seattle, when do people start heaping praise on Carroll? It's not like he was a disaster in New England, made the playoffs twice then had an 8-8 year but had to deal with replacing Parcells after he took them to a Super Bowl, his stint there was more successful that Parcell's record wise though.

    It's honestly hard to believe the guy's 62, he's full of **** and vinegar. Guys love playing for him.
    People are going to have negative opinions on him because he left USC when he realized they were going to be getting penalized for illegal recruiting or whatever it was.

    Dude is a great coach, though. He doesn't look 62 at all. My God he could pass for being in his mid 40's
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  28. #272
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,637

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Honestly, him being shady as a college coach just makes me like him more. Ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  30. #273
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    It's pretty amazing that two of the best coaches in the league right now came from...the Pac-12?

  31. #274
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    502
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did fine with what he had. A QB cant make a guy block or catch the ball. Get open or even run to the right spot
    But any QB that has a throw sail right over his intended receiver and into the arms of the defender will catch flak every time. That was ALL Peyton. Matter-of-fact, when that happened, I sarcastically replied, "that's the Peyton we all know and love."

  32. #275
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    502
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody ever says this about Jim Kelly even though he went to four straight SBs and lost,
    Are you kidding me?!? I, and I guarantee many others, consider the Scott Norwood field goal miss one of the biggest choke jobs in Super bowl history!

    or Marino all those records and no rings how come he's not a choke artist.
    That's cause Marino didn't go into the playoffs always having the #1 offense. Peyton did, numerous times...and then would get out-played. Sometimes by scrub QBs. Also, what's the one thing that Peyton is known for in big games....he easily gets rattled and will throw an interception, usually, at the most critical times.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •