Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 381

Thread: Super Bowl Thread

  1. #226
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,909

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    When that ball sailed over Manning's head I think we all knew it was a bad omen but nobody wanted to admit it...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  3. #227
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    The tougher, more physical team usually wins.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  5. #228
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Underdogs? The Broncos were like 3 point favorites, which is about equal to the Peyton Manning tax Vegas gives them. They were a 1 seed and had the same record as Denver. They were not underdogs.
    Over twice as many people were rooting for the Broncos.

  6. #229
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over twice as many people were rooting for the Broncos.
    Is that the official tally?

    Even if that were true, that doesn't make them underdogs. It just makes them less popular.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  8. #230

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    while denver was terrible all over, i think doug mallory must have taken over before the game as defensive coordinator.
    i don't think i have seen such a horrible defensive performance ever in the sb.
    so many missed/blown tackles.
    simply embarrassing to watch.

  9. #231

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great performance by the Seahawks. I thought they were the better team so not surprised at the outcome, the margin did though. Denver picked a bad time to have their worst game of the year.

    BTW, for the reasons stated above, don't think this reflects badly on Manning's career. They had a great year and beat the teams they were supposed to, Seahawks were better.
    Except that the media will never let him live this down and yes I thought Seattle was the better team to begin with they play in a much tougher conference the only real competition Denver had besides NE probably would've been us. The AFC is a weak conference so Denver losing I expected not the margin though. I never understand why people think great offenses beat great defenses it doesn't happen.

    A comeback story that ends badly go figure.

  10. #232
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A comeback story that ends badly go figure.
    I wouldn't say it's over yet. I don't think we've seen the last of Peyton Manning.

  11. #233

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wesley Welker 0-3 in Super Bowls.
    Yep which is why I thought Denver shouldn't have bothered with him or John Fox as head coach I figured they would've lost earlier though.

    I can honestly say I'm happy for Russell Wilson since he's a likeable guy I can't say the same for Pete Carroll.

    It wasn't Manning's year after all such a tease.

    What sucks for us is that people are going to say Russell Wilson is the best QB in the draft because he's the first to win the SB.

    And they shouldn't have worn the orange uniforms 0-4 in SBs

  12. #234

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tougher, more physical team usually wins.
    especially when the opponent looks totally unprepared, all night long
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  14. #235

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't say it's over yet. I don't think we've seen the last of Peyton Manning.
    Except I don't see Denver getting back to the SB I mean I didn't think Manning would ever get back to an SB or win another to be honest no NFL QB has ever won SB's with two different teams it wasn't going to happen tonight.

    Seattle is the better team but the focus will be on how Manning failed not that Seattle deserved to win.

  15. #236
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    I actually kind of like Pete Carroll

    Those that are saying it are right--it's tough to root against a class act like Russell Wilson. Happy for him, happy for Seattle, just really hate the way it turned out for Peyton.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  17. #237

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Congrats to Seattle. 35 years is a long time to go without a pro sports title.
    Its been a great weekend for them Stern retires and this.

    I would've been happier for them had they beat New England

  18. #238
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except I don't see Denver getting back to the SB I mean I didn't think Manning would ever get back to an SB or win another to be honest no NFL QB has ever won SB's with two different teams it wasn't going to happen tonight.

    Seattle is the better team but the focus will be on how Manning failed not that Seattle deserved to win.
    I don't know, I could see Denver going back next year, but that window is pretty small. The AFC is in flux right now. The old guard (Manning's Broncos and Brady's Patriots) are just that--old. Honestly the best young team on the rise is probably the Colts. Then you still have the two irritating AFC North teams with Super Bowl winning QBs, and solid coaching (Pittsburgh & Baltimore). Denver will walk into next season as the favorites to make it back, although like you, I rather doubt they actually do.

  19. #239

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually kind of like Pete Carroll

    Those that are saying it are right--it's tough to root against a class act like Russell Wilson. Happy for him, happy for Seattle, just really hate the way it turned out for Peyton.
    Ugh! Even though I hate USC he did set them back years with those violations and pretty much threw everyone under the bus and now he gets rewarded. Shows karma doesn't really exist.

    Beyond that Seattle doesn't bother me although I can see why they would hate Richard Sherman etc.

    But really this is just a wasted season for Manning. Seriously all that for nothing. And Eli

    The real SB was Seattle/SF
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 02-02-2014 at 10:32 PM.

  20. #240
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,909

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that the media will never let him live this down and yes I thought Seattle was the better team to begin with they play in a much tougher conference the only real competition Denver had besides NE probably would've been us. The AFC is a weak conference so Denver losing I expected not the margin though. I never understand why people think great offenses beat great defenses it doesn't happen.

    A comeback story that ends badly go figure.
    Why should the media let him live it down? The only thing worse than Manning's performance was the Bronco's team performance.

    Manning has arm strength issues, and questionable decision-making in big games. The Seahawks went right after him, hard, and he and the entire team folded.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #241
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh! Even though I hate USC he did set them back years with those violations and pretty much threw everyone under the bus and now he gets rewarded. Shows karma doesn't really exist.

    Beyond that Seattle doesn't bother me although I can see why they would hate Richard Sherman etc.

    But really this is just a wasted season for Manning. Seriously all that for nothing.
    Yeah, I know, definitely a dick move by him to bail on them after he got them into that mess, but that's major college football for you. He's pretty charismatic and seems like he would be a good coach to play for, so I don't particularly mind him.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  23. #242

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why should the media let him live it down? The only thing worse than Manning's performance was the Bronco's team performance.

    Manning has arm strength issues, and questionable decision-making in big games. The Seahawks went right after him, hard, and he and the entire team folded.

    I was referring to his career not necessarily this game yes he picked the worst time to play his worst game but the AFC is a weak conference they can get to the SB but they need to be built like an NFC team to win the whole thing.

    Yes he's getting older it is interesting you think he has questionable decision making when just two weeks ago he played a great game against the Pats in the AFC title game apparently that wasn't a big one(yes I know not as big as the SB) but people pick and choose which games he's in that are great versus those that aren't. That's what bugs me I mean if you think he sucks or isn't the GOAT just say so. I'm annoyed when they talk about how he has to win (insert big game) in order to validate his career because apparently the past 16 years weren't enough apparently. But come next season they will continue this lame narrative.

    I do think Pete Carroll is a good coach I don't like or really respect the guy. I mean if Seattle won back in SB 40(like they probably should've) I would've been far happier for them.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 02-02-2014 at 10:38 PM.

  24. #243

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay has got to be feeling pretty vindicated right now.
    Pinball numbers led to nothing but a crushing big game defeat to a team that plays defense and more balanced.
    Yep I just hope he doesn't tweet anything about this even though you know how thrilled he was to see Manning lose.

  25. #244
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    There are some similarities between Pags and Carroll as far as being player first coaches so hopefully the Colts can win with him in charge.

  26. #245

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    I don't see how Manning getting to the Super Bowl and having the statistically best season of his career means Irsay is vindicated with anything, speaking as someone who supports the new direction.

    Are people really saying Peyton not winning a Super Bowl here makes the season a failure? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Yes it's a gut wrenching ending but it doesn't negate the wins the Broncos had this season, including the Playoffs. Had they lost to San Diego or New England perhaps, but like I said, there's no shame in losing to a better team. Now the performance they put out from top to bottom was a shameful but it does happen in one game playoff situations.

  27. #246

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how Manning getting to the Super Bowl and having the statistically best season of his career means Irsay is vindicated with anything, speaking as someone who supports the new direction.

    Are people really saying Peyton not winning a Super Bowl here makes the season a failure? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Yes it's a gut wrenching ending but it doesn't negate the wins the Broncos had this season, including the Playoffs. Had they lost to San Diego or New England perhaps, but like I said, there's no shame in losing to a better team. Now the performance they put out from top to bottom was a shameful but it does happen in one game playoff situations.

    The goal is to win an SB all those records are worthless if you aren't hoisting the Lombardi so yes it does justify Irsay's decision. Of course even if the Broncos won it was still the right decision I just hate Irsay's revisionist history on the whole thing you dumped Manning because you didn't think you would get another SB out of him and he wasn't worth the price. Don't tell me you let him go as a favor to him that's just garbage. Owners are out for themselves(rightfully so) anything else is lipservice.

    Unfortunately though it will be less about how Seattle deserved to win and more about how Manning failed which is rather unfair to Seattle.

  28. #247
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,909

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes he's getting older it is interesting you think he has questionable decision making when just two weeks ago he played a great game against the Pats in the AFC title game apparently that wasn't a big one(yes I know not as big as the SB) but people pick and choose which games he's in that are great versus those that aren't.
    It's not every big game, it's just too many of them that it happens.

    If enough people tell someone that they have a tail eventually a person needs to quit denying it and instead turn around and take a look.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  30. #248

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    He's not perfect obviously but you need to be a complete team to win an SB and while Denver can put on an offensive show Seattle is a far more complete team in comparison at least based on today's game. Denver reminded me of the past Manning teams here live and die by the QB unfortunately Manning picked the worst time to have his worst game.

    The real SB was the NFC title game.

    If anything I think whoever won the AFC was going to end up getting owned by the NFC representative anyways.

    It just bothers me that despite winning an SB he's going to be considered a choker and his career is worthless for only having one SB ring when there are many QBs who don't even have one and just yesterday he was going to be the GOAT. Its the overreaction that I don't get I mean if you don't think he's great that's fine I mean we all have our opinions.

    Its not easy to win an SB despite what the media tells you.

  31. #249

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Peyton played fine considering how bad his line was playing. Not to mention horrible field position and no run game.

    If a QB gets no help his play of course is gonna suffer.

    People talk about Mannings failures as if hes Tony Romo.

    Peytons entire team played like garbage tonight. You expect miracles from him. And when he fails to deliver you say he chokes in the postseason.

  32. #250
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,200
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Super Bowl Thread

    Peyton most certainly did not play fine...the whole team was terrible sure. That includes him unfortunately.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •