Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Still Say The Pacers Are Underdogs To win The Title

Default Re: I Still Say The Pacers Are Underdogs To win The Title

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We didn't just lose though we were completely run out of the building. Don't give me this crap about back to backs. The Suns just beat us at home after a 4 games in a 5 nights stretch and on the second night of a back to the back. Its not a guaranteed loss and never an excuse for an elite team to get absolutely man handled like we did.

We match up poorly with them, and our last win came over them two years ago and they have gotten alot better since then. So have we but they are still a better team.
    We don't match-up poorly with them, especially if Lance is as good as people around here like to think. We don't match-up poorly with anyone. When this team is focused there isn't a team in the league better than it, or more versatile. Doesn't mean it doesn't have weaknesses, but to take advantage of those weaknesses usually require a team to be playing one of their best games of the season. When this team loses it is because it is unfocused, and lazy. That is going to happen over and 82 game schedule. When this team is playing A+ basketball it is simply the best team in the league bar none, especially if Bynum is able to rebuild his career.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    We don't match-up poorly with them, especially if Lance is as good as people around here like to think. We don't match-up poorly with anyone. When this team is focused there isn't a team in the league better than it, or more versatile. Doesn't mean it doesn't have weaknesses, but to take advantage of those weaknesses usually require a team to be playing one of their best games of the season. When this team loses it is because it is unfocused, and lazy. That is going to happen over and 82 game schedule. When this team is playing A+ basketball it is simply the best team in the league bar none, especially if Bynum is able to rebuild his career.
    I'm sorry its easy to say we are the best, but its not backed up by reality. The Thunder have an almost identical record, playing a significantly tougher schedule missing one of the best players in the league.

Without Westbrook, could we beat them. I think we could. But if Westbrook comes back healthy I don't see anybody in the league stopping them.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I'd say GS's starting lineup is more talented than ours. Thunder and Heat could be as well, depending on how you match up the different players. Not sure what the point of it all would be though?
    For the Starting Lineup....yeah...they are as talented as us. Heck...add in Barnes and their top 6 Players could be considered comprable. But beyond that....the rest of the bench is simply no comparison. The Warriors has some combination of Crawford and ( in a pinch ) Kent Bazemore playing backup PG minutes....Draymond Green playing backup PF.

I've watched a lot of Warriors games and the one thing that the Warriors TV play by play guys mention is that their bench is really weak and lack the necessary depth to get that far. If anything, the Warriors are like the 2011-2012 Pacers. They have a very strong Starting Lineup.....but their bench consists of Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green, Marisse Speights, Jordan Crawford and ( when healthy ) JONeal.

On paper...it looks decent....but in reality...it's quite terrible. There's a reason why Curry, Lee and Klay play 36 to 38 minutes and Iggy 33 nog.....for the same reasons why we so heavily relied on our Starters last season...cuz the Bench simply doesn't cut it.

The Warriors will make the Playoffs....they may even squeak into the 2nd round....maybe Curry would even pull out a win or two with his insane shooting....but they won't go that far simply cuz they don't have enough depth to sustain a deep Playoff run.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think part of what has given us problems with the Thunder is that KD is the only player that PG simply cannot guard. Obviously nobody is able to stop KD, but a guy like Lebron can at least body him up a bit, and make his scores a bit more contested. And then on top of that Westbrook is a matchup nightmare for us as well. He's too big and athletic for the long arms of GH, and he's too smart and quick for Lance to guard. There's literally nobody on our team that has the right tools to guard Westbrook, except PG and he has to chase KD around.

The way for us to beat the Thunder is to slow the game way down, pound it inside, and take advantage of our size and strength. IF (big if) Bynum were able to be anything close to healthy, then there's another scoring piece coming off the bench.

When we play our best game, I think we can beat the Thunder. But it would certainly require us to play at our best

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For the Starting Lineup....yeah...they are as talented as us. Heck...add in Barnes and their top 6 Players could be considered comprable. But beyond that....the rest of the bench is simply no comparison. The Warriors has some combination of Crawford and ( in a pinch ) Kent Bazemore playing backup PG minutes....Draymond Green playing backup PF.

I've watched a lot of Warriors games and the one thing that the Warriors TV play by play guys mention is that their bench is really weak and lack the necessary depth to get that far. If anything, the Warriors are like the 2011-2012 Pacers. They have a very strong Starting Lineup.....but their bench consists of Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green, Marisse Speights, Jordan Crawford and ( when healthy ) JONeal.

On paper...it looks decent....but in reality...it's quite terrible. There's a reason why Curry, Lee and Klay play 36 to 38 minutes and Iggy 33 nog.....for the same reasons why we so heavily relied on our Starters last season...cuz the Bench simply doesn't cut it.

The Warriors will make the Playoffs....they may even squeak into the 2nd round....maybe Curry would even pull out a win or two with his insane shooting....but they won't go that far simply cuz they don't have enough depth to sustain a deep Playoff run.
    I don't think you guys understood what I meant by more talent 1-5. What I mean by that is our 5th, 4th, and usually 3rd best player, are better than theirs. When you even it out over 5 guys Durant and Westbrook may be enough to equal it out, but if you go position by position no other team other than Portland has a 5 guys who can match us at every position. They might have players who can overcome that difference, but their 4th and 5th players don't really stack up on their own. Miami only has Lebron who is better than Paul. Every other position we have a better player. The Thunder have Durant and Westbrook, then we have the advantage in the last three positions. Duncan was great, but at this point he is at best on par with West, so even they only have Parker. Portland on the other hand I feel like their 4th and 5th player are either equals or really close to being equals to ours, at least with how West has played the majority of the season.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never said it was a good excuse to lose in the second night of a back-to-back on the road, I really wish they would play better in those situations. But we don't. And therefore, to draw conclusions from that game would be ill-advised. Because our play in those situations is not indicative of our true level of play.

Our only encounter this year with OKC, was on the 2nd night of a back-to-back, on the road, at the end of a long road trip. I know you want them to dominate game in and game out, but reality is --- that was a schedule loss. OKC is playing very well right now, and Indy isn't, so it's REAL easy to get sucked into the Durant-mania. But Indy has played better than them for most of this season. I wouldn't get sold by Durant's explosion lately... I've said it before, and I stick by it --- he isn't going to continue that all the way through this playoffs. And Indy is going to find their groove again and all of this will be silly talk.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-03-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think part of what has given us problems with the Thunder is that KD is the only player that PG simply cannot guard. Obviously nobody is able to stop KD, but a guy like Lebron can at least body him up a bit, and make his scores a bit more contested. And then on top of that Westbrook is a matchup nightmare for us as well. He's too big and athletic for the long arms of GH, and he's too smart and quick for Lance to guard. There's literally nobody on our team that has the right tools to guard Westbrook, except PG and he has to chase KD around.

The way for us to beat the Thunder is to slow the game way down, pound it inside, and take advantage of our size and strength. IF (big if) Bynum were able to be anything close to healthy, then there's another scoring piece coming off the bench.

When we play our best game, I think we can beat the Thunder. But it would certainly require us to play at our best
    I agree. It definitely is more challenging of a match-up than the Heat. Hopefully having Granger more focused on defense will help out with Durant and Westbrook by allowing Paul to guard Westbrook.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Don't take an opponent seriously, and it is bound to bite you in the ***.
    If they make it to the Finals you obviously have to take them seriously... My point was it's very unlikely that Portland makes the jump from the 11th best team in the West at the end of the 12-13 season to making the Finals at the end of 13-14 with roughly the same personnel... You generally take steps to get there...

Portland is a fantastic up and coming team... I'll be surprised if they aren't in the Western Finals... But I will be shocked if they get past there...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

This team is almost perfectly constructed for the playoff grind. When the games slow down the Pacers can easily revert to bludgeoning teams with physical play, post scoring and putbacks. If Bynum can provide a reliable bench contribution this advantage could border on dominance.

Two things work against this advantage:

1. The Pacers star is a level (or two lately) below those operating in Miami or OKC. Get in a series with too many one possesion games and these guys can (will) make the difference. PG really needs to recapture the offensive effeciency he displayed early in the season. If he can do a better job offsetting their stars production I'm not convinced there will be that many games that come down to one shot.

2. Ball security. Larry Legend was 100% correct. Get the turnovers under control or all those extra possesions created by the defense & rebounding mean nothing. I believe if the Pacers win the possesion battle against either of these two teams they will win the series.

I don't see the Pacers as underdogs. I see three teams on the top level who all have the pieces to win a title. It will come down to the team who best understands who they are, owns it and consistently executes.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 02-04-2014 at 06:50 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Indiana beats Miami, they win the title.
    David "And One" West