Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Still Say The Pacers Are Underdogs To win The Title

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I Still Say The Pacers Are Underdogs To win The Title

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think some people are wrongly discounting Portland. If there is a team out there that I am scared to face in the playoffs it is them. They are the only team who has a starting 5 that can match our talent at all 5 starting positions, and possibly exceed it in total.
    I think they're an excellent team, but I believe it's going to be incredibly difficult for a team with basically zero playoff experience to win the West.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

OKC to me is the most difficult challenge. Alot can change in a few months, but I don't see SA or even MIAMI, beating us in a 7 game series. They might win 1-2-3 games but I just don't even see a seven game series out of them. OKC is different, Durant is one of those rare, take-over-the-game, win-my-team-to-win players...LeBron has always needed a lot of help (DWade/Bosh)...Durant is carrying OKC with their second best player not even playing. Miami falters when DWade OR Bosh isn't on the court with LBJ.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I think some people are wrongly discounting Portland. If there is a team out there that I am scared to face in the playoffs it is them. They are the only team who has a starting 5 that can match our talent at all 5 starting positions, and possibly exceed it in total.
    I'd say GS's starting lineup is more talented than ours. Thunder and Heat could be as well, depending on how you match up the different players. Not sure what the point of it all would be though?

Sports Logo

Yeah I agree. They play inside out, so when they dont catch fire from outside they can still bang you inside and get to the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    I think they're an excellent team, but I believe it's going to be incredibly difficult for a team with basically zero playoff experience to win the West.
    This...this...this...
    I don't think there has ever been, at least in my time, a team with no playoff experience, especially not even make the playoffs prior, then get to the finals. Everyone has to pay their dues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Without Westbrook they are playing better than both us and Miami. Right now they would beat us both even without him.
    They sure looked good vs Washington last night. Just saying all the teams will have ups/downs. This board will be very down on Pacers in down moments, and back talking about how we should be favorites in our good moments.

Also, please don't act like OKC is better without Westbrook. We went through this last year when they got bounced by the Grizzlies without Westbrook.
    Last edited by brownjake43; 02-02-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Why is Portland suddenly not in the discussion? Also, I think a team like GS could get hot and surprise some people. I don't know about a title, but I wouldn't want to face them if I was a top West team.
    Portland this year= Denver last year. Not sure they are built to win in the playoffs. Will they win a lot of regular season? Of course, but relying on the 3, especially in the playoffs, is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Why is Portland suddenly not in the discussion?
    You gotta crawl before you walk... And walk before you run...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    You gotta crawl before you walk... And walk before you run...
    Don't take an opponent seriously, and it is bound to bite you in the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    They sure looked good vs Washington last night. Just saying all the teams will have ups/downs. This board will be very down on Pacers in down moments, and back talking about how we should be favorites in our good moments.

Also, please don't act like OKC is better without Westbrook. We went through this last year when they got bounced by the Grizzlies without Westbrook.
    Dude read a post entirely before you disagree. And dont judge a team by there last game. Both us and OKC looked pretty bad last time out anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without Westbrook they are playing better than both us and Miami. Right now they would beat us both even without him.
    RIGHT NOW THEY ARE yes but that is exactly why you can not say they are CLEAR CUT favorites when we get to the playoffs because you are comparing them while Durrant is playing out of his mind and they are playing at their best compared to us while we have hit a rough stretch......Will they be contenders yes obviously but you just don't know how the ebbs and flows of an 82 games season will go.....the Pacers have during stretches looked like the best team in the NBA, SA has looked like the best team in the NBA at some points this year and I bet at some point Miami will go on a nice run and look like the best team in the NBA at some point as well.....If you are asking who is currently playing the best basketball in the NBA then yes OKC would be the probable answer but to say they are already clear cut favorites come playoff time is a bit of a loose comment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    RIGHT NOW THEY ARE yes but that is exactly why you can not say they are CLEAR CUT favorites when we get to the playoffs because you are comparing them while Durrant is playing out of his mind and they are playing at their best compared to us while we have hit a rough stretch......Will they be contenders yes obviously but you just don't know how the ebbs and flows of an 82 games season will go.....the Pacers have during stretches looked like the best team in the NBA, SA has looked like the best team in the NBA at some points this year and I bet at some point Miami will go on a nice run and look like the best team in the NBA at some point as well.....If you are asking who is currently playing the best basketball in the NBA then yes OKC would be the probable answer but to say they are already clear cut favorites come playoff time is a bit of a loose comment IMO.
    At what point has SA looked like the best team in the NBA. And yeah Durant is playing out of his mind, this is his him going 100% IE what he will be doing in the playoffs. Imagine what he will be doing in the playoffs with Westbrook.

Hell they could easily win the championship without him.

They are going to be the underdog until the defeat Miami and go to the Finals
    "We want Miami"

I don't consider the Pacers underdogs, as they will likely finish with the best record in the East, but the Playoffs will not be a cake walk for the all the way to the ECF. Its shaping up that a team like Detroit will end up getting the 8th seed, and thats a team that is physical enough to give the Pacers fits. Honestly detroit is the last team the pacers would want to see in the first round. THen you have a team like Toronto who is 4th or 5 right now, which means a possible 2nd round match up. Another really tough match up.

Miami as the 2nd seed looks to have an absolute cake walk to the ECF.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Heat are the two-time Champions. I don't know if we are underdogs per say, but I wouldn't call us the favorites either.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand everyone is enamored with Durant right now, but I don't think he's winning it this year. Blowing his wad too early, was like the DRose MVP season where he killed himself every night and fizzled in the post-season. Can't do it.

OKC beat us...... at their house on the end of a brutal road back-to-back in which we had beaten SA the night before and played tough ones in LA and Portland. It was a brutal road trip, and pure evil on the NBA's part to stick OKC at the end with no break at all. I don't get too worked up about that loss. I still think Indy could smoke OKC in a playoff scenario with their D, length, size and strength. I just don't see Durant pulling it off over 7 games. He's awesome and all.... but put a fresh Paul George on him? He's not gonna be dropping 40 every night. Westbrook back? Put Lance/Hill on him. Stick Hill on RJackson. We have the guys to bother them.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I agree with this I think they can take the East but not sure who they could beat in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I understand everyone is enamored with Durant right now, but I don't think he's winning it this year. Blowing his wad too early, was like the DRose MVP season where he killed himself every night and fizzled in the post-season. Can't do it.

OKC beat us...... at their house on the end of a brutal road back-to-back in which we had beaten SA the night before and played tough ones in LA and Portland. It was a brutal road trip, and pure evil on the NBA's part to stick OKC at the end with no break at all. I don't get too worked up about that loss. I still think Indy could smoke OKC in a playoff scenario with their D, length, size and strength. I just don't see Durant pulling it off over 7 games. He's awesome and all.... but put a fresh Paul George on him? He's not gonna be dropping 40 every night. Westbrook back? Put Lance/Hill on him. Stick Hill on RJackson. We have the guys to bother them.
    We match up horribly with the Thunder. We can bother them but we can't really stop them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They might be a tough out for us, but I think you're a little too influenced by OKC's recent surge and Indy's recent lull.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

We match up horribly with the Thunder. We can bother them but we can't really stop them.
    The last time we beat them Danny was still our best player, and Harden wasn't a Rocket yet. Durant, Westbrook, and Harden combined for 75 points. They scored 37 points in the fourth quarter. Despite all of that we still won by 5 points 103-98. Since then we have lost 3 straight.

Looking at the box score it seems the key to beating them is the same as the Heat, Royzilla and BAMF. In the past 4 games both of them of be consistently good on offense. Combined there has only been two games where one of them shot worse than 50%. In those games Roy was 4-9 and West 5-11, which in all practicality might as well be 50%. On the flip side, Paul and Hill have been more bad than good, rarely shooting above 40%. Get Roy and West going early, tell Paul (especially Paul) and Hill to focus on defense, and I think we win more than not.

The biggest hindurance for the Pacers winning the title will be their offenisve efficiency. I dont any championship team has been this poor on the offense. Only the Detriot Pistons have ranked 19th in OFF EFF and won the title in the last 10 years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The last loss to them, though, and this can't be emphasized enough --- was on the end of a road trip, 2nd night of a back-to-back. It might seem like we have a true 3-game losing streak goin, but that last game was a schedule loss, would have been amazing had we won it.

The last loss to them, though, and this can't be emphasized enough --- was on the end of a road trip, 2nd night of a back-to-back. It might seem like we have a true 3-game losing streak goin, but that last game was a schedule loss, would have been amazing had we won it.
    We didn't just lose though we were completely run out of the building. Don't give me this crap about back to backs. The Suns just beat us at home after a 4 games in a 5 nights stretch and on the second night of a back to the back. Its not a guaranteed loss and never an excuse for an elite team to get absolutely man handled like we did.

We match up poorly with them, and our last win came over them two years ago and they have gotten alot better since then. So have we but they are still a better team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We've lost many back-to-backs this season, and almost all of them badly. That's not crap; it's a consistent occurrence. Five of our ten losses this year were on the 2nd night of a back-to-back, on the road. That's 50% of our losses. Whether Phoenix does a better job than us at it than us is irrelevant; this *team* is not good on the 2nd night of a back-to-back on the road.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-03-2014 at 02:50 PM.

We've lost almost every back-to-back this season, and almost all of them badly. That's not crap; it's a consistent occurrence.
    Doesn't mean its an excuse to lose. Which you were trying to use by calling it a schedule loss. And even if it were an excuse, it would be no excuse to get absolutely destroyed.