Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Post-Game Thread: Pacers beat Brooklyn

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post-Game Thread: Pacers beat Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    QB blamed Bynum for Ian's butter fingers during the game so maybe not.../green
    I heard him say that too and thought it was total baloney. Ian fumbles at least one pass every game. My nickname for him is Iron Paws.

I've been ready for an upgrade for Ian since the Heat series in the ECF last year. I think that Larry Bird feels the same way. Really think about it for a minute. Larry Bird said when he returned this past Summer that the biggest needs was to sign PG to an extent ii and upgrade the bench. He got rid of almost everyone on the bench except for Mahinmi. That was the one position he was unable to upgrade during the offseason. Mahinmi has been woefully inconsistent and foul prone all season. I'm sure Larry has noticed that as well and when he had an opportunity to sign a former All-Star who once scored 42 point in a game and pulled down 30 rebounds in another for a mere 1 million dollars he jumped on it with both feet.

I'm glad this team is so close. I love the fact that they support each other. However, during the Westcoast trip, a major weakness has been exposed. If Roy Hibbert get in foul trouble, the defense decreases rapidly. Another potential problem is that if both Roy and Ian are in foul trouble, they don't have enough size to continue to defend the rim with the Scola and West tandem. Signing Bynum makes a lot of sense. If he's healthy he's the backup for 15-18 minutes and Ian is the 3rd center.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That, or agents.
    Or he asked Kobe. I think i heard George had Kobes number.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All these NBA players know each other. I have to think it's really, really easy to get someone's number if they want it. Between teammates that might have played AAU, college (obviously not in Bynum's case), or with him in the NBA, I'm sure someone has it. Charity events or off the court stuff they do together is possible. Their agents absolutely know each other so I'm sure that avenue is available.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I heard him say that too and thought it was total baloney. Ian fumbles at least one pass every game. My nickname for him is Iron Paws.

I've been ready for an upgrade for Ian since the Heat series in the ECF last year. I think that Larry Bird feels the same way. Really think about it for a minute. Larry Bird said when he returned this past Summer that the biggest needs was to sign PG to an extent ii and upgrade the bench. He got rid of almost everyone on the bench except for Mahinmi. That was the one position he was unable to upgrade during the offseason. Mahinmi has been woefully inconsistent and foul prone all season. I'm sure Larry has noticed that as well and when he had an opportunity to sign a former All-Star who once scored 42 point in a game and pulled down 30 rebounds in another for a mere 1 million dollars he jumped on it with both feet.

I'm glad this team is so close. I love the fact that they support each other. However, during the Westcoast trip, a major weakness has been exposed. If Roy Hibbert get in foul trouble, the defense decreases rapidly. Another potential problem is that if both Roy and Ian are in foul trouble, they don't have enough size to continue to defend the rim with the Scola and West tandem. Signing Bynum makes a lot of sense. If he's healthy he's the backup for 15-18 minutes and Ian is the 3rd center.
    Iron Paws...LOL. Reminds me of Rik Smits nickname in his first few years, Brick Mitts.

But seriously, you're exactly, exactly right. Most teams carry 3 bigs, and Ian, although a physical specimen and athletically gifted, reminds me of a guy who got goaded into playing basketball when he was 18 years old because he was big and tall (though I'm sure it was earlier)...whereas Bynum got drafted at around 18 years old. Thus he has a low BB IQ...never seems to know where the flow of the play is, where to be, never anticipates passes, and as a consequence, isn't ready for them when they come. It's not that he's bad, it's just that it's clear the nuances of basketball aren't second nature to him.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

If I have to see Paul George not fighting through one more pick or getting smoked on one more spin or crossover I'm going to puke. This is why I'm so annoyed by "Hill is letting us down" talk.

Going directly at Paul Joe Johnson scored easily in the 1st quarter. When Paul switched to Livingston we saw a rebirth of the pre-injury Livingston. This was the same Paul I saw struggle with Chandler and Thorton.

Paul's defense is on suck mode about 75% of the game right now which to me is by far the biggest reason the team defense is down. In one sense this is a compliment because I think his defense is that important, but of course it's a knock because he's playing it so poorly right now.

He looks a bit lazy on most middle of the game defensive trips. He can get motivated and make plays but a lot of his game has "coasting" written all over it.

This is not to say he's not a great star and a key Pacer for years to come, just that for whatever reason his DEF play the last 2 weeks just isn't that good.

Scola - good lord this slump. He is all out of sorts and looks confused half the time. A lot of guys are not reading the floor well, but he's the most lost on offense of the group.

West - his slump is over and he was dialed in last night. Several tough defensive plays and so many awesome passes. BAMF city last night.

You hate to knock a win but they beat a team that isn't playing the quality of ball their W-L record recently suggests. Nets are getting more hype than their play actually deserves. There is no confusing their quality with the Suns quality, for example. The Nets are closer to the Lakers than the Suns.

This culminated last night with the brilliant play to get Paul, not Joe, the final corner 3. And then when Trader Joe and I said "just throw the ball at a Nets foot" when they got possession with .4 left, Kidd either had Paul face the court or failed to tell Paul to face Scola to avoid having happen exactly what any sane NBA fan saw coming the entire way,

I got a laugh out of just how slow Pierce reacted to the ball hitting his butt. It was like he hadn't even considered the possibility and it just wouldn't compute. Pathetic basketball.

Don't let Livingston/JJ do anything they want against Paul and all the clunky offense and dropped passes to Ian couldn't keep you from beating the Nets by 20. They are not good and they were on a 2nd night when you weren't. It was about the lowest quality win you could get.

And if you don't think Bynum is a distraction just read this NETS POST-GAME THREAD. It's happening right here. Instead of evaluating how the team played people are talking about players talking about Bynum.

Even Hicks is doing it, the guy that thinks Bynum won't distract the locker room. Of course Hicks is no David West.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Ironically, Scola's purposeful turnover sealed the deal for the Pacers.
    Luis Scola--Savvy Veteran or Bad Passer?
    The Indiana Pacers won a close one over the Brooklyn Nets Saturday night 97-96. Along the way there were several solid plays made by the entire team, but the best might have come at the end of the game by veteran forward Luis Scola.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RZiFEjxbcQ...1600/scola.gif

It appears that he screwed up and nailed Paul Pierce in the back with the inbound pass, but if you watch closely you can tell he did it on purpose. Why Pierce had his back turned is a mystery, but it was the perfect time for Scola to lob a soft pass at his back and than watch the ball--and the remaining seconds of the game--bounce away.

No chance for the Nets to steal the inbound pass. No chance for the Nets to throw up a last second shot. Pacers win.

http://www.fatmanwriting.com/2014/02...b#.Uu6uQrS1tOA
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SamBear For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I don't agree with you on the Nyets, Seth. In January, they beat the Thunder, the Hawks twice, the Warriors, the Heat, the Knicks and the Mavs; losing to just the Thunder and the Raptors twice. Are they a great team? ****, no, they won't make it out of the first round of the playoffs in the East. But they've switched up their lineups, Kidd has gotten more comfortable, and their slow, old guys have looked less slow and less old. I think you're going overboard suggesting that Luis' savvy play is indicative of Brooklyn's issues. It was a bad game, but still a good win.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

It really was a crime the way we didn't abuse the West/Pierce matchup on offense. I hate when big teams let small teams off the hook for that.
    I just didn't understand that at all. This happens a lot, they get a great matchup and just have no way to go at it or feed the ball to that guy.

I mean Plumlee lingered with 5 fouls for a long time with no action going right at him. He can't make a strong defensive play for fear of fouling out and you don't even challenge him? I don't get it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I just didn't understand that at all. This happens a lot, they get a great matchup and just have no way to go at it or feed the ball to that guy.

I mean Plumlee lingered with 5 fouls for a long time with no action going right at him. He can't make a strong defensive play for fear of fouling out and you don't even challenge him? I don't get it.
    Between this and our overall offense, I have to wonder if the dirty little secret just might be that this encompasses Vogel's weaknesses?

Between this and our overall offense, I have to wonder if the dirty little secret just might be that this encompasses Vogel's weaknesses?
    Do you mean just not coaching? I'm seeing more of that then I would like.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Iron Paws...LOL. Reminds me of Rik Smits nickname in his first few years, Brick Mitts.
    Ha that is hilarious, never heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear View Post
    It appears that he screwed up and nailed Paul Pierce in the back with the inbound pass, but if you watch closely you can tell he did it on purpose. Why Pierce had his back turned is a mystery, but it was the perfect time for Scola to lob a soft pass at his back and than watch the ball--and the remaining seconds of the game--bounce away.

No chance for the Nets to steal the inbound pass. No chance for the Nets to throw up a last second shot. Pacers win.
    Did any one seriously think this was an accident? If they think this was a bad pass, they're high.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

It was odd. I really never thought we were going to lose the game, which is extremely unusual for me, especially when we lose a lead. Either I'm learning how this team works or I just need to go to a beer festival before every home game...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

D-West is averaging 18 a game on 49% shooting over the last 5. If we can keep that cooking as the team's D gets back we are in great shape.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    It was odd. I really never thought we were going to lose the game, which is extremely unusual for me, especially when we lose a lead. Either I'm learning how this team works or I just need to go to a beer festival before every home game...
    It was the beer festival, and you still owe me a beer from the PG dunk being number 1

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

D-West is averaging 18 a game on 49% shooting over the last 5. If we can keep that cooking as the team's D gets back we are in great shape.
    You can take it all the way back 7 games to GS. He's averaged 17 PPG over the last 7 games. He's looked very spry since that west coast road trip started. Reminds me of last year's West. The jumpers are falling and his post moves are dialed in. It definitely bodes well for us as we head down the final stretch of the season and into the playoffs.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

It was the beer festival, and you still owe me a beer from the PG dunk being number 1
    You gotta remind me when I'm on my way to see Sue.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Early in the season I felt like we hadn't been going to West enough. And here recently, though he's getting his shots, I still feel like we could go to him a bit more, esp when Lance isn't able to get to the basket in the open court and PG's J isn't falling. DW is the most consistent scoring threat we have in the half court when PG isn't hot, so why not go to him a tad more? Or at least a tad earlier in the game. Get us off to a better start offensively.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 02-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It's not just that interview. The PG interview was similar. Then Candace Buckner's tweet and the other media related tweets about the Pacers players kind of having a "meh" attitude towards the signing (interestingly enough, reaction from the Heat players had similar verbage) paint the picture. Or else yeah, I would agree.
    the way i see it is this:
    none of them have ever played or practiced with him. therefore, they simply don't have much of an opinion to work with. i imagine they have heard the negative stories about him like most have but will give him a chance to sink or swim with the team.
    i suspect bynum knows very well that he is quickly running out of chances and if he screws up here- it could very well be the end of his road in the league and no more big money.