Thread: 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

Default 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...phrey-selected

In a nod to both the excellence of those who were in their first year of eligibility as well as those who waited some time for their turn, former Seattle Seahawks tackle Walter Jones, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks and former New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan led the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2014.

The class was selected after a nine-hour meeting of the Hall's Board of Selectors, believed to be the longest-ever meeting of the selectors. Also voted in on Saturday were former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Andre Reed, cornerback Aeneas Williams, as well as defensive end Claude Humphrey and punter Ray Guy.

Default Re: 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

No Dungy or Harrison :/
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't think they're first ballot HOFers well Dungy anyways.

Harrison has the numbers but he spent his career with Manning though well most of it I don't recall him being much of a factor with Jim Harbaugh I can't help but wonder if that works against him well that and his legal issues.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Harrison has the numbers but he spent his career with Manning though well most of it I don't recall him being much of a factor with Jim Harbaugh I can't help but wonder if that works against him well that and his legal issues.
    Harrison's first two years in the league without Manning were very productive for a young receiver. And let's remember that while Jim Harbaugh was a gamer, he wasn't exactly Brett Favre when it came to racking up passing stats. Plus he went downhill pretty quickly after that 1995 AFC Championship Game run.

In 1996 as a rookie, Harrison racked up 8 touchdowns and 836 yards. Not bad for a rook. Jim Harbaugh only threw 13 touchdowns that season, Paul Justin threw 2, and Kerwin Bell 1. So Marvin Harrison as a rookie accounted for exactly half of the team's passing touchdowns. Pretty impressive.

In 1997, Harrison's second season, Harbaugh was on his last leg and only started 12 games. Harbaugh started 12 games and Paul Justin 4. The team only had 16 passing touchdowns that season, with 6 of them going to Harrison. He also had 866 yards. Again, pretty good numbers, especially when you consider the low quality passers who were throwing him the ball.

Harrison's first two seasons in the league were pretty damn good when you consider that he did not have very great passers throwing him the ball, particularly in 1997 when Harbaugh was finished and we went 3-13 to get the Manning pick. Too many people brush Harrison and Wayne off because they played with Manning. Thankfully Wayne put a lot of that to pasture when he somehow managed 960 yards with the garbage Collins/Painter/Orvlosky trio, and then carried Luck through his rookie season. But Harrison's first two seasons were so long ago that a lot of people seem to forget that he was immediately a stud receiver. There's no doubt that he was a major security blanket for Manning early on and Peyton has said it numerous times.

I don't see people marginalizing Jerry Rice's career just because he was fortunate enough to play with Joe Montana and Steve Young. Harrison is 7th all time in receiving yards, 5th in receiving touchdowns, and 3rd in receptions. He's unquestionably one of the very best in the history of the position. It's a shame he was left off.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Ray Guy finally got in, that's cool. Dude deserves it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

So much ******** that Harrison wasn't first ballot. He's a top 5 WR all time in my book. He should get in next year for sure.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Depth > 1 Good player khaos01207's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

Rice had Joe Montana and afterwards Steve Young, still a first ballot HOF
    3000th Post :
    1-11-14 10:54 PM

I also think with Harrison he wasn't nearly as media friendly(to put it mildly) its a large part of why I don't think the HOF that seriously because that shouldn't even be an issue if the talent is there.

That being said while I think Dungy is a good coach I don't think he's an HOF one.

Harrison's 8 year peak, Holy Crap!!!

Averaged 103 Receptions, 1,402 yards, 12.6 TD's

Wonder if the Off-Field incident had any bearing? Regardless, he will get in. Probably next year.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...se-forgive-me/

Sapp asks Strahan, “Please forgive me”

Hall of Famer Warren Sapp said last week that Michael Strahan does not deserve to join him in Canton, inciting a war of words between the two of them. But after Strahan was elected to the Hall of Fame on Saturday, Sapp apologized.

Sapp said today on NFL Network that he approached Strahan on Saturday night and asked for forgiveness.

“I saw Michael Strahan last night,” Sapp said. “I grabbed him and hugged him and wouldn’t let him go. I said, ‘Please forgive me.’”

Sapp and Strahan have disliked each other since both were active players, and it’s doubtful they’re ever going to be buddies. But they’ll always be fellow Hall of Famers, and Sapp may have taken a small step toward burying the hatchet.

Sports Logo

Sapp's a tool. Do something other than talk **** about people to get your name in a headline.

I put Harrison not getting in due to the glut at WR. Andre Reed and Tim Brown have been on the ballot for years. Cris Carter wasn't a first ballot HOFer either.

Dungy not getting in on the first ballot isn't a surprise as well. Bill Parcells wasn't even inducted on the first ballot!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    I put Harrison not getting in due to the glut at WR. Andre Reed and Tim Brown have been on the ballot for years. Cris Carter wasn't a first ballot HOFer either.

Dungy not getting in on the first ballot isn't a surprise as well. Bill Parcells wasn't even inducted on the first ballot!
    This. I know many on another board think it is some kind of anti Indiana view, but this all comes down to the fact that there is a glut of WRs that need to get in. Reed and Brown both deserve to go in and have been waiting. Marvin will get in next season or the next one.

If Parcells is not a first ballot then Dungy is not deserving of first ball. Heck, I do not even know of he is really a HOf coach.

Sports Logo

I don't really have a problem with Andre Reed getting in. But I have a huge problem with him getting in over Harrison and Brown. He simply wasn't as good as them and it isn't really all that close, especially concerning Harrison. How long a guy's had to wait shouldn't be a reason to vote for him. It should be a red flag to voters that "hey, maybe this guy really isn't a HOFer?" I don't care about first ballot or whatever, the best guys that are eligible should be the ones getting inducted, that's all.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Marvin should have gotten in. I get Andre and Tim, but they arent Marvin and they should step aside for another year. Just how it should've been.

Dungy deserves it cause his complete body of work with the NFL.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

I'm not sure Dungy's really a HOF coach.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm not sure Dungy's really a HOF coach.

Yeah I agree. He has a Super Bowl ring, but there are plenty of Super Bowl winning coaches who aren't in the Hall of Fame, right? Outside of the Super Bowl season, he has one AFC Championship Game appearance and one NFC Championship Game appearance. I just don't know if he has a wide enough body of work to be a Hall of Fame worthy coach. His career was relatively short and there just aren't enough successes, IMHO. Certainly not a first ballot HOF'er.

Harrison OTOH was a snub as far as I'm concerned. He is absolutely one of the very elite in the history of his position.

Dungy will get in though because he made history being the first black head coach to win a SB. He's a very good coach but not a HOF one IMO

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

You have to keep in mind that the NFL HOF voting is much different than the other major sports where people vote on your credentials, and yeah/nay on if they think you are a HOF-er.

Football is limited to 5 inductees per year (excepting old-timer selections from a special committee). If you make the final 15, chances are that a huge amount of people consider you HOF-worthy.

Since only 5 recent players make it, rarely if ever does it include more than one player from a position. Andre Reed getting in basically made Marvin wait. I don't think he will wait very long though.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

When is Edgerrin eligible? Can't wait for Manning, Harrison, and James to be in the HOF
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    When is Edgerrin eligible? Can't wait for Manning, Harrison, and James to be in the HOF
    I guess next year, but there is no way that he'll be a first ballot HOF'er.

Actually I think it might be the season after that he would be eligible I think he played for Seattle in 2009 briefly. But I don't think he'll be in the HOF because he fell off after he left the Colts.