Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am saying that because some people seem to be just assuming it will work out as long as he doesn't cause lockerroom drama just because his individual stats were slightly better. While ignoring the team stats. Granted he is more likely to succeed here in a winning environment. It just annoys me when people lose all sense of perspective just because a player is a Pacer.

Being overly pessimistic is just as annoying.
    Here's my thing. There's a perception among some that he wasn't productive in Cleveland. I've seen people state that they don't think Bynum will play. I've seen others saying he'll get limited minutes.

By showing his stats (especially mpg) compared to Mahinmi I was hoping people would see that he was already playing at least to Mahinmi's level in Cleveland. And that's all we're really looking for out of him (though I'd love to see Roy's minutes decrease some). He gives us a needed, capable third center (whether he's #2 or #3). Anything more we get is gravy. He's not going to be a guy like Fez that gets us excited but never gets on the floor (well, unless he has an attitude implosion). And my expectation is that he'll have a significant impact on the second unit offense. He's someone that the opposing defense will have to work to stop which should open up opportunities for the other players (as Quinn said the other night).

The Pacers have suggested that Bynum will move past Mahinmi in the rotation. Will he? I don't know, but I hope he does. And I think the Pacers have to say that and set that goal to motivate him. They need him to come in and work hard to fit in with the team. If he thinks he's coming in to sit on the bench until an emergency then I doubt he puts in the work he needs. So now we just wait and see what happens in practice and how he (and Mahinmi) responds to the competition.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So what was Andrew's Bynum's conduct detrimental to the team??

I wouldn't be surprised if he called out Irving for being a ball hog and playing no defense, but we can't have him calling out LeDecision 2.0. Irving has been disappointing to me.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

The only reason I like the move is to keep him away from our competitors. We don't need him going to OKC or Miami and go back to a 20 and 10 monster. Afaic, I really hope they cut him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Here's my thing. There's a perception among some that he wasn't productive in Cleveland. I've seen people state that they don't think Bynum will play. I've seen others saying he'll get limited minutes.

By showing his stats (especially mpg) compared to Mahinmi I was hoping people would see that he was already playing at least to Mahinmi's level in Cleveland. And that's all we're really looking for out of him (though I'd love to see Roy's minutes decrease some). He gives us a needed, capable third center (whether he's #2 or #3). Anything more we get is gravy. He's not going to be a guy like Fez that gets us excited but never gets on the floor (well, unless he has an attitude implosion). And my expectation is that he'll have a significant impact on the second unit offense. He's someone that the opposing defense will have to work to stop which should open up opportunities for the other players (as Quinn said the other night).

The Pacers have suggested that Bynum will move past Mahinmi in the rotation. Will he? I don't know, but I hope he does. And I think the Pacers have to say that and set that goal to motivate him. They need him to come in and work hard to fit in with the team. If he thinks he's coming in to sit on the bench until an emergency then I doubt he puts in the work he needs. So now we just wait and see what happens in practice and how he (and Mahinmi) responds to the competition.
    Maybe I missed it....but I don't recall the Pacers themselves saying that Bynum would move past Mahinmi in the rotation. When did they suggest this?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Maybe I missed it....but I don't recall the Pacers themselves saying that Bynum would move past Mahinmi in the rotation. When did they suggest this?
    They have said that he will backup Roy not Ian for starters but I haven't seen a direct quote saying that Bynum is second in line.

How is a back up center going to ruin a rock solid locker room? What fantasy lands do yall live in? Is he going to come in and start killing our players one by one like some scary movie?

If the guy acts up he will get cut, the leadership and the culture of this franchise is strong enough for one player to ruin is. He isnt Paul or Roy, where he is the absolute key to us winning, he is a back up center. If this works out and he shows at least half of what he used to be he is better than Mahinmi.

He has had some really solid games with the Cavs and if he can have some of those with us we will be major winners.

Main key here is hopefully Mahinmi never has to play again.

This is hilarious, ruining the chemistry.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powww For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    They have said that he will backup Roy not Ian for starters but I haven't seen a direct quote saying that Bynum is second in line.
    I guess we will see what will happen. I don't get the sense that Bird/Vogel will simply hand over Mahinmi's spot to Bynum without seeing how well ( or not ) he's going to fit into the offense...much less the offense. None of us ( at this point ) have any clue as to how Bynum will fit into the lineup. Color me "skeptical" about how much of an impact Bynum will have until Vogel settles on a consistent rotation....specifically if Bynum TRULY does take Mahinmi's spot in the rotation or not.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

If I read all the pros and cons about Bynum. One thing I think people are missing is this is the 15th man on the roster, no more, no less. He has no history with the Pacers. He is no different than Donald Sloan or any other Pacer. Until he arrives, he does not have a track record with the Pacers.

You can declare what you want about him but until he arrives and participates with the team, no one knows. Debate all you want but it is nothing but speculation. Bird does not know and he sure has more knowledge than any of us. Have at it and for the really good prophets, tell me the winning Power Ball numbers.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    If I read all the pros and cons about Bynum. One thing I think people are missing is this is the 15th man on the roster, no more, no less. He has no history with the Pacers. He is no different than Donald Sloan or any other Pacer. Until he arrives, he does not have a track record with the Pacers.

You can declare what you want about him but until he arrives and participates with the team, no one knows. Debate all you want but it is nothing but speculation. Bird does not know and he sure has more knowledge than any of us. Have at it and for the really good prophets, tell me the winning Power Ball numbers.
    +100......I agree with what this smart guy says!

I guess we will see what will happen. I don't get the sense that Bird/Vogel will simply hand over Mahinmi's spot to Bynum without seeing how well ( or not ) he's going to fit into the offense...much less the offense. None of us ( at this point ) have any clue as to how Bynum will fit into the lineup. Color me "skeptical" about how much of an impact Bynum will have until Vogel settles on a consistent rotation....specifically if Bynum TRULY does take Mahinmi's spot in the rotation or not.
    Not sure what you mean offense,,,,,, offense. Do you mean offense much less defense or the other way around.

My take is that offensively he can't be worse than Ian. Defensively maybe but a signing like this I doubt they sit him and I doubt Bynum would willingly sign for a 3 rd string backup spot with no minutes. These moves also prove you are right or wrong as a front office as well so Bird is also invested here.

Bird also doesnt strike me as a guy who would bring in a veteran player if he didn't expect him to win a roster spot in the rotation this late into the season.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-04-2014 at 01:57 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't be surprised if the meeting went something like this:

Larry: Shut up and listen. We have a good situation for you here. Not much will be expected of you other than to be ready when we ask you to be. You have an opportunity to show the NBA what you're about and come out better for it at the end of the season. And just maybe you'll get another ring out of it and be a part of that. And if you screw it up I promise you won't hear from another NBA team. Don't believe me? Ask your agent.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wasn't there rumors that he was getting pissed at Irving for not make 'winning plays'?
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    and was then made to look like a great hire thanks to the 5th best player in the league right now (Lance Stephenson, Paul George, Andrew Bynum, and Kevin Durant are above him... in that order).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    You could wonder a lot of things, actually. I always wonder why I love women's feet.
    Rex Ryan posts here?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    Wasn't there rumors that he was getting pissed at Irving for not make 'winning plays'?
    Yea I saw that, I think he was mad at everyone for not knowing how to win or something like that

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Not trying to stick up for Bynum cause I have no idea. But, with the latest about Deng talking how bad it is in Cleveland, maybe Bynum wasn't to far off base and just didn't handle the situation well. Reasoning to bring Deng in cause coming from Chicago and being a vet.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 02-04-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Not sure what you mean offense,,,,,, offense. Do you mean offense much less defense or the other way around.
    Yes, that is what I meant....offense/defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1
    My take is that offensively he can't be worse than Ian. Defensively maybe but a signing like this I doubt they sit him and I doubt Bynum would willingly sign for a 3 rd string backup spot with no minutes. These moves also prove you are right or wrong as a front office as well so Bird is also invested here.

Bird also doesnt strike me as a guy who would bring in a veteran player if he didn't expect him to win a roster spot in the rotation this late into the season.
    You mean like when Bird brought in Fez two seasons back?

I agree with everyone that Bynum just has too much talent to be sitting on the bench. But given many factors ( lack of any real and consistent playing time over the last 2+ seasons, questions about how he'd fit on defense and the impact of switching out Mahinimi....whose been doing a solid job as a Backup Center, affect to team Chemistry, how'd he fit into the offense, etc. ), it is difficult for me ( objectively ) to declare this a homerun ( as in, he's such a great fit on the offensive/defensive end that he's a CLEAR upgrade over Mahinmi and will be a HUGE difference Maker ) or just a single ( as in, we finally have a 3rd Backup Center so that we don't have to see West/Scola on the floor at the same time ). I'm not saying that Bynum will have a bad impact on the Team....I'm just saying that I really can't pass any judgement on what impact ( good or bad ) that Bynum would have on the Team until Vogel settles down on a consistent rotation.

Also...before any of you call me a "Bynum Hater cuz I am Pro-Mahinmi"....believe me....I WANT THIS TO BE A HOMERUN....I recognize that Mahinmi has A LOT of offensive deficiencies, I just recognize that Mahinmi has been a VERY POSITIVE impact on the defensive end and changing this lineup will affect the Team IN SOME FASHION. I just no idea what that impact will be. I just have to approach this rationally and reasonably until I can see what Bynum has to offer and how Vogel uses him. Until then....he's no better than the 3rd Backup Center on this Team that can actually block a shot what will comfort me with the notion that I don't have to see West/Scola pretend to defend the paint .
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-04-2014 at 06:34 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

Uhh....there was no empty locker next to West's locker?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Haven't had time to sift through everything... have they said when he expects to actually be with the team yet?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I'm not one bit concerned. The Pacers have dealt with SJax, David Harrison, Rawle Marshall, Jamaal Tinsley, Shawne Williams, etc. But some of those guys had the Pacers over a barrel. Here they've committed nothing to Bynum. If he's a major headcase, we keep him around for a month and cut him to the curb. If he's that bad, he will way 450lbs in 6 months and his career will be over.

Yes, that is what I meant....offense/defense.

You mean like when Bird brought in Fez two seasons back?

I agree with everyone that Bynum just has too much talent to be sitting on the bench. But given many factors ( lack of any real and consistent playing time over the last 2+ seasons, questions about how he'd fit on defense and the impact of switching out Mahinimi....whose been doing a solid job as a Backup Center, affect to team Chemistry, how'd he fit into the offense, etc. ), it is difficult for me ( objectively ) to declare this a homerun or just a single. I'm not saying that Bynum will have a bad impact on the Team....I'm just saying that I really can't pass any judgement on what impact ( good or bad ) that Bynum would have on the Team until Vogel settles down on a consistent rotation.
    You know as well as I do why Fez was brought in. Foster rings the retirement bell and we sign a FA center to help out with the lack of depth which is a lot different than signing Bynum this year.

Basically if you have to reach for examples then you are probably denying the reality of the situation. Bird brought him in becuase he thought he could contribute and replace Ian in the rotation. If he didn't then why sign him and for the so called chemistry Ian brings what does he actually do? You can't run the pnp with him and he basically is a guy you can cheat off of since he can't score which hinders the offense. Personally I think a guy who gets double teamed in the post is a better asset than a cutter to the basket with bad hands and who can't set screens without bailing on them before contact.

Ian's chemistry on defense isn't bad but its nothing to right home about. People still attack the rim a lot and he still fouls them a lot.

Offensively though it just boils down to another wrinkle you can add. Scola can't post up anymore so essentially the second unit becomes a limited offensive unit with no post presence.This is bad against teams like Miami who go small but its even worse against big teams like the Pistons who can play a steady Center rotation of Monroe and Drummond which exposes Ian's poor post up defense.

Candace Buckner tweeted that Vogel expects Bynum to join the team Thursday or Friday, that he'll be on the bench in street clothes Friday night.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ian's chemistry on defense isn't bad but its nothing to right home about. People still attack the rim a lot and he still fouls them a lot.

Offensively though it just boils down to another wrinkle you can add. Scola can't post up anymore so essentially the second unit becomes a limited offensive unit with no post presence.This is bad against teams like Miami who go small but its even worse against big teams like the Pistons who can play a steady Center rotation of Monroe and Drummond which exposes Ian's poor post up defense.
    He gets called for fouls, it is questionable if a lot of them are fouls cause if his name was Hibbert, Howard, Chandler, Gasol, or something it is highly unlikely they would get called.

We have a post presence in Granger. A lot of good things have come from it because teams almost always double or triple team him in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Candace Buckner tweeted that Vogel expects Bynum to join the team Thursday or Friday, that he'll be on the bench in street clothes Friday night.
    Any idea when he will be able to get playing time? Right after All Star break maybe?