Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So what was Andrew's Bynum's conduct detrimental to the team??

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why are we only focusing on what happened in Cleveland. He was a little bit of a problem in LA and he didn't show much desire to get into shape and play for the Sixers either.
    This

What he did in Philly was an embarrassment. The guy was a cancer and he never even suited up because he was to lazy to get in shape like a pro. He was the ultimate me guy in Philly.

EDIT: And lets not forget he did this to a franchise who was ready to make him the franchise player and traded their face of the franchise Iggy too get him.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-03-2014 at 02:41 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Agreed. It seems he's either totally forgotten on offense, or he's the primary focus. He had best offensive play of the season when he was part of a functional unit: Scola, Lance, and Granger worked well together and played off each other. More recently, they've each been less effective. I'm not sure why.
    I know why, cause Lance Stephen spent the last week trying to make the all-star team instead of running offense.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I know why, cause Lance Stephen spent the last week trying to make the all-star team instead of running offense.
    Odd thing is, that probably hurt his chances more than helped him.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I wondered the same thing, actually. It reminded me of Al Harrington after his 40-point game. Here's hoping Vogel can reel Lance in a bit.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Being a "glass half full" kind of guy, I see 2 possible ways the sighing of AB can be helpful to the Pacers. The first of course, is if Bynum comes in, buys in and rebuilds his game. The second in a lot of ways could be even better down the road. Say Bynum comes in and causes problems in the locker room and Vogel/Bird toss him. As a Championship caliber team in the future, we should become a magnet for former AS level players to be drawn to. Success with AB shows these players that they can come here in the twilight of their career or off an injury and become a part of a winning team. Failure and an early tossing of AB would should the future want-to-be's that the Pacer will not tolerate disruption in their locker room. Win/win.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You don't bring in Bynum if your plan is to never give him a chance, so that really isn't a surprise. We will see what happens once he is brought up to speed and gets some time on the court. At this point we have no idea if we will get the Bynum that was in Cleveland, or if we got a better version. We just don't know and will not know until he is on the court. That is all I am saying cause some people seem to just assume there is no possibility other than the best possible outcome. It is the same warning I gave Colts fans when it came to Richardson. Just because he is a big name does not mean he is a guarantee to be better.
    I hope my post above shows you that atleast Cleveland Bynum is better than Indiana Mahinimi which is the whole point of the signing.

How I see the offense changing is in the post ups we have now and if teams decide to double team Bynum or not. That was a none factor with Ian and his roll was simply to be a cutter and a pnr guy on offense which he was ok at but nothing special becuase his hands were sooo bad.

Atleast with the Bynum we have more options to expose an opponents weakness and more importantly if they decide to go small we can punish them for 48 minutes with size. The Pacers strength is now even more formidable IMO.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

able is not a fan of Lance huh?
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Strangely, i worry more about our players accepting Bynum, than Bynum himself trying to fit in.

I know the guys haven't met with Bynum yet, but none of them seemed even the least bit thrilled at his arrival.
    At least he is just taking an empty roster spot. I can't see it bothering the guys that much, when we didn't loose anyone. Frank will only play him if it helps the team. If he doesn't buy in, he walks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    A combo deal would work. Also there are a lot of unhappy players in the NBA right now on certain teams. Rodney Stuckey isn't thrilled in Detroit these days. So Granger to Detroit for the expiring contracts of Stuckey and Villenueva works on ESPN and Real GM. Charlie will never see the floor but Stuckey would be an excellent back up for Lance. He can create his own shot, create for others, and be a facilitator overall off the bench.
    FOCUS!!!

FOCUS!!!

FOCUS!!!

This thread is about matters relevant to the recent signing of one Andrew Bynum. Nothing more. Nothing less.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I hope my post above shows you that atleast Cleveland Bynum is better than Indiana Mahinimi which is the whole point of the signing.

How I see the offense changing is in the post ups we have now and if teams decide to double team Bynum or not. That was a none factor with Ian and his roll was simply to be a cutter and a pnr guy on offense which he was ok at but nothing special becuase his hands were sooo bad.

Atleast with the Bynum we have more options to expose an opponents weakness and more importantly if they decide to go small we can punish them for 48 minutes with size. The Pacers strength is now even more formidable IMO.
    Except the team as a whole played worse with Bynum on the court, both offensively and defensively. There are two parts to this story. It is hard to predict how that will translate over to this team with this teams defensive system. I've already said a healthy and motivated Bynum is better than Mahinmi, but it isn't a guarantee that will be the case so stop acting like it is. It all depends on how hard he is willing to work, how much he buys into the system, and if he is capable of performing in this system. We won't know any of that until he actually steps on the floor and plays. Until that point there is no reason to assume either way. You have stats saying he did well individually, but you have contradicting stats saying his play made the team worse. Why that is, I have no idea, but I do know it makes him being an improvement far from a guarantee.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care about the numbers. My only question is can Bynum catch the ball?
    David "And One" West

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gamble, you are the man! Ian is routinely the worse offensive player off the bench. He contests shots well but commits fouls on probably half of his attempts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    FOCUS!!!

FOCUS!!!

FOCUS!!!

This thread is about matters relevant to the recent signing of one Andrew Bynum. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Guy literally can't post in a topic without trying to trade Granger and/or Hill

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I guess for me Bynum is not a great risk like he was with the Cavs or Philly.
    But he is a bigger risk than Lance. Bigger than any other mid-season acquistion by any team out there. So excuse me for saying that it isn't a low-risk move. He isn't some second rounder without history. If it doesn't work, it will be reported. Discussed. Asked about to our players in interviews.

There will be questions to Frank and the players until we see him play. Not questions on why this team is struggling. But about Bynum.

That will be annoying. And it could be risky.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I guess for me Bynum is not a great risk like he was with the Cavs or Philly.
    But he is a bigger risk than Lance. Bigger than any other mid-season acquistion by any team out there. So excuse me for saying that it isn't a low-risk move. He isn't some second rounder without history. If it doesn't work, it will be reported. Discussed. Asked about to our players in interviews.

There will be questions to Frank and the players until we see him play. Not questions on why this team is struggling. But about Bynum.

If theres any problems he gets cut. And we will have months to get the lockerroom back in order.

Except the team as a whole played worse with Bynum on the court, both offensively and defensively. There are two parts to this story. It is hard to predict how that will translate over to this team with this teams defensive system. I've already said a healthy and motivated Bynum is better than Mahinmi, but it isn't a guarantee that will be the case so stop acting like it is. It all depends on how hard he is willing to work, how much he buys into the system, and if he is capable of performing in this system. We won't know any of that until he actually steps on the floor and plays. Until that point there is no reason to assume either way. You have stats saying he did well individually, but you have contradicting stats saying his play made the team worse. Why that is, I have no idea, but I do know it makes him being an improvement far from a guarantee.
    I understand its all relative and that goes without saying which is why I was upfront with ALL the stats and how I see it playing out. His points per possesion is either better or not and defesnively the system we run is not rocket science so I am not sure how long you guys think it will take him to adjust but I don't think it will be a long time at all.

Opposing teams will attack your weakness and Ians weakness was very glaring against post ups. There is not much you can do to cover that up without double teaming and exposing yourself to 3's. Bynum has the same weaknesses as Roy with spot ups and its simply the function of having a bigger guy on the court.

The most important point though is that teams use postups more than spot ups to attack the center which is especially true for the Pacers. With Bynum there will be more continuity going from the starting unit to the bench which is important. People think we would give up rim protection but really you don't see the stats playing out that way which is why I posted the SportsVU data.

Except the team as a whole played worse with Bynum on the court, both offensively and defensively.
    I am not sure what stat measure you are using but I hope its not on/off the court stats becuase by that measure we are barely better defensively with Roy on the court. I simply don't buy into those stats since guys like Anthony Bennet and Tristian Thompson can have a major impact on them.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-03-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get these people saying "it may not work, there's no guarantee". Duh. Every transaction you ever make runs that risk. This one is no different. Gerald Green was a "may not work" and whaddaya know -- he didn't work. CJ Watson worked, Scola worked, West worked, George Hill worked, Ian also worked, Lance Stephenson worked against many odds.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Although it would have been a close call and sure maybe my position on this might have changed if I spoke with Bynum, but if I am the Pacers I would not have signed Bynum. I don't think he helps much on the court and the possible risk it too great. But I hope it works out.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I don't get these people saying "it may not work, there's no guarantee". Duh. Every transaction you ever make runs that risk. This one is no different. Gerald Green was a "may not work" and whaddaya know -- he didn't work. CJ Watson worked, Scola worked, West worked, George Hill worked, Ian also worked, Lance Stephenson worked against many odds.
    Just assuming that if it doesn't work it will automatically result the same as Gerald Green is a gross understatement to what has happened.

Bynum has league clout. He was selected to be the next Laker big. He went toe to toe with Shaq. He, at one time, was considered the best big man in the NBA. He has attitude problems. He has anger and a history of being lazy. He isn't some athletic one-dimensional high school brat that worked hard to get back into the game.

Please this situation is altogether different from that which this team has faced. He isn't Artest. He isn't Gerald Green. He isn't Lance. He is a risky move. It may pay off. But noticing it is a risk is saying the worse will happen. But I feel like some are saying it is a risk so is breathing....then sweep it under the rug.

I will cheer for him. I will hope he contributes. But if he divides a club, who I think doesn't need him, then I won't be surprised. Shawn Kemp and Vin Baker comes to mind when I think of this signing more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I am saying that because some people seem to be just assuming it will work out as long as he doesn't cause lockerroom drama just because his individual stats were slightly better. While ignoring the team stats. Granted he is more likely to succeed here in a winning environment. It just annoys me when people lose all sense of perspective just because a player is a Pacer.

Being overly pessimistic is just as annoying.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I wonder what everyone's thoughts would have been had he joined the Heat....

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

I don't live in Indiana anymore, so I have no idea how the local media is handling this. That said, it seems to be a complete non-story as far as the national media is concerned. My TV is almost always on one sports channel or another, but if I didn't follow Pacers Digest, I probably wouldn't even know we signed him.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This

What he did in Philly was an embarrassment. The guy was a cancer and he never even suited up because he was to lazy to get in shape like a pro. He was the ultimate me guy in Philly.

EDIT: And lets not forget he did this to a franchise who was ready to make him the franchise player and traded their face of the franchise Iggy too get him.
    This is what gets me about the guy. He finally got the chance to be the guy that he wanted to be and the franchise was ready to make him their face of the franchise and he was to fat and lazy.

The guy is the definition of a me first player and that is somebody we do not need around our lockerroom. What magically is going to click in his head? Thankfully he will be easy to get rid of when he becomes headache, but it is a shame our guys have to deal with the headache at all.

After pondering it for a few days, I think the signing of Bynum is great. Bynum has encountered problems in Philly and now in Cleveland as well. If he desires to continue playing basketball NEXT year, it would not bode well for him if he causes problems in Indy and gets cut loose. With the locker room we have, if he can't find a way to fit in, then he isn't going to fit in anywhere, and everybody else would probably be hesitant to pick him up. At least not at any contract amount that Bynum might like.

I look forward to a model citizen who busts his butt to give us everything he has.

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Alot of pessimism in this thread, and not entirely unjustified considering
    some of the murkier episodes in Mr. Bynum's history. However...

He is now wearing the Blue & Gold, and this is another fresh start.
    I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt, and will be rooting for him
    like any other member of the team unless he proves himself unworthy.

I hope he contributes positively and succeeds beyond anyone's wildest
    expectations, but if he doesn't, hope he at least gives it his best shot.
    He couldn't have picked a better place with the winning environment
    we have going to try getting his career back on track.

Am sitting here daydreaming now about what it would feel like to be a
    good enough player to be called up by Larry Bird to fill that final roster
    spot on this Pacers squad. What an unbelievable dream-come-true
    opportunity...heck I would tell Larry forget the contract, I'll be happy
    to do it for free!