Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe, but then again isn't that normally when players and coaches alike who aren't involves in ASW go on vacation?
    Yeah, I guess my point was that it *could* have been a perfect opportunity for some of the coaching staff and Bynum to forego a bit of time off and instead work him into the system at a convenient time in the schedule.

Not saying that if they choose instead to take the week off I would be upset at them or anything, but with our 'win now' mindset, it also would not have surprised me to see the coaches sacrifice the time off if they felt it gave Bynum and the team a chance to be more successful.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Funny that you and Hicks jumped on the Isiah example and ran away from the FRANK VOGEL LOST THE TEAM, WENT ON A SERIES OF BLOWOUTS THAT ENDED IN A LOCKER ROOM FIGHT...all over chemistry issues of introducing a player to backup minutes in the 2nd quarter, a player that's still on the team.

That s*** isn't ancient history and that's not some other coach. That team was on-track and winning games post-JOB and for a window of about 2 weeks looked like the worst team in the freaking NBA. Gnome and I traveled to see those games so they are ingrained in my mind. Gnome talked to Foster the night the locker room fight happened and you know what his mood was like? Depressed and frustrated.
    As far as this current team is concerned, something that happened three years ago is about as ancient as Columbus sailing the ocean blue. There were no West and Hill back then. The team had a losing record and had never made the playoffs together. Several key players were still very young. The stench of O'Brien still loomed large. Plus Vogel was still basically a brand new coach who was still earning the respect of the team and figuring out how to run things.

Since this locker room spat occurred three years ago:

- The team got it's playoff cherry popped by the Bulls.
    - It added West and George Hill, who instantly brought their winning attitudes and professionalism to the team.
    - There was a massive turnaround in the 11-12 season in which we had the 5th best record in the league, won a playoff series, and took the Heat to 6 games. Hibbert is an all-star.
    - With Granger out last year, PG becomes an all star and the team takes the Heat to 7 games.
    - This season, they have had the best record in the league for most of the year. PG turns into a legit superstar, Hibbs an all-star, Lance is out of his mind.
    - Most importantly, multiple people who cover the Pacers/NBA say that this is as close of a locker room as you'll ever see.

So yeah, I have just a tiny tiny tiny bit more faith in this team's locker room maturity now than I did three years ago. Just a tiny bit more.....

There aren't going to be any sides taken here. It will be 14 to 1 if Bynum tries to pull any stunts. I'm sure that Vogel and Bird made all of this very clear to Bynum.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

So you're pretty comfortable with the last 2 weeks? I mean it's only a 2 week stretch of bad losses to PHX and DEN and nearly a bad loss to SAC and BRK. They only fell behind OKC for the top seed so really it had no impact on their title chances.

And that's not even due to any Bynum issue. That's just regular basketball.

Yes, for a team that's not just playing "wouldn't the 4 seed be nice" basketball and really just building for next year I am pretty darn worried about a 1-6 stretch of chemistry disaster. I'll be happy to apologize when they beat Miami in game 7 in Miami and then win game 7 in OKC too, even though my worry wouldn't have been wrong because I'm worried about losing the seeding rather than whether they can win a road game or not.

I'm debating the idea that literally nothing can possibly be negatively affected by signing Bynum, it's just all for free with no possible consequences. I think that view is very naive.

This team doesn't have the safety net of "just happy to be here" that the 10-11 team did. And Lance was truly a zero-risk guy, unknown nationally, 2nd round rookie, who cares if he doesn't produce. Lance failing then cost the team 10 times less than Bynum failing now. No one noticed outside of Indy and Lance wasn't even getting cheap signing Bynum money. The team expectations were very low, they weren't even in the playoffs at that point.

If a team with zero pressure can be almost instantly derailed by a rotation change then why can't a team with no margin for error succumb to a similar change?

My point is not "this WILL happen". My point is "oh, there is nothing to worry about" is just nuts. Of course things can go wrong, the risk assessment is way off from most circles.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not worried at all. A lull was inevitable. They'll work it out. Better now than right before the playoffs.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Nice! We didn't even have to give up JO to get him.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Sorry to multi-post but this is for a different debate point with Sollozo, something I think is more reasonable.

Sure, I'm not saying this squad isn't more mature and unified. And still they just fell apart starting with the GSW 2nd half without an outside influence. The issue is that the other team had NOTHING TO LOSE. I mean literally nothing. If that team went 1-6 and it mean they stayed at the 9th or 10th seed, so be it. We were just happy that Frank was playing Hibbert and working through the post game and going all smash-mouth.

That team could brush off Lance getting 10 minutes or even losing some games because just losing a bit less and playing a bit more inspired was a success.

This more mature team has massively higher expectations and therefore much less margin for error. There is no debating that point. The Bynum signing is even viewed as the Pacers going all-in to win this year. Heck, the Scola deal was viewed that way too.

This team doesn't get to hold it's head up high if it loses to Miami in the ECF, let alone losing in 5 games in round 1. That other squad did.

So yes, it's true this team is better equipped to handle things, but the problem is that the thing they are being asked to handle is tenfold worse than what the previous squad had to deal with. Do I think this team could handle 8 minutes of a Solo Hill in the 2nd quarter experiment that didn't work out? Yes.

But who thinks Bynum moving into the Pacers rotation is the same as Solo moving into the rotation, let alone an unknown 2nd round pick that is behind Roy, Tyler and Paul in terms of development plan? What ESPN reporter was asking Danny Granger what he thought about Lance getting 10 minutes vs Dallas? None. No one cared. With Bynum they do.

The team is in a better place but the challenge has been drastically raised. No room for error with a lot more eyes on the situation.

And I'm pro-Pacers on this of course. If these guys somehow recover Bynum or even shed off a failed attempt without a blip then it says more about them than the off-season work put in to avenge a playoff loss.

I think it's a gamble, but I also think/hope they can pull it off. It's enough of a risk that I'll be thrilled about it, whereas most of Pacers nation is treating it like "oh, no big deal, either it works or not, they won't bat an eye either way".

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    You're worried about a two-week stretch at the beginning of Vogel's tenure. And they recovered and got it worked out.
    Apples, oranges, and all that, plus you're just going way too far with it, lol...
    That, and since then Lance grew up, Hill and West came in and made a huge impact on the culture of the team, Paul George is growing into another Hill/West kind of guy in the locker room (according to someone who is occasionally inside said locker room, per private conversation), not to mention the presence of the other players who have never been known to be drama-makers, and the rest of this coaching staff, and Bird. There are many reasons to not be alarmed about what Bynum might or might not do to this team and its chemistry. And this is all assuming Bynum's going to **** with things in the first place, which he has every reason NOT TO DO right now for the sake of his career, and because he's been known to be on best behavior on strong, title-contending teams, AND we have at least some talk from Cleveland saying he wasn't a bad guy up there.

I feel like this is a massive overreaction to a disturbing hypothetical that seems, to me at least, very unlikely to happen in the first place.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

That, and since then Lance grew up, Hill and West came in and made a huge impact on the culture of the team, Paul George is growing into another Hill/West kind of guy in the locker room (according to someone who is occasionally inside said locker room, per private conversation), not to mention the presence of the other players who have never been known to be drama-makers, and the rest of this coaching staff, and Bird. There are many reasons to not be alarmed about what Bynum might or might not do to this team and its chemistry. And this is all assuming Bynum's going to **** with things in the first place, which he has every reason NOT TO DO right now for the sake of his career, AND we have Cleveland players saying he wasn't a bad guy up there.

I feel like this is a massive overreaction to a disturbing hypothetical that seems, to me at least, very unlikely to happen in the first place.
    Paul George's demeanor suggests he is becoming less mature, not more mature. And Lance, although he can focus it better most times, is still a loose cannon at many times.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Not worried at all. A lull was inevitable. They'll work it out. Better now than right before the playoffs.
    There was talk last night from Candace and the team that everyone's basically long-term tired right now and needs a break. I'd almost bet money that the source of our problems right now. I think they'll be recharged by the end of the month after most of them have a week off.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Frank takes over 17-27 Pacers

They go 9-5 with 2 of the losses coming in OT (just missing an 11-3 run). Only the final game of this stretch, an OT loss to PHX, features any Lance PT (he gets 4 minutes).

Then Lance starts getting his regular "development" minutes. They beat GSW then go on the road to lose to OKC, DAL and HOU by 24, 8 and 17 (and the DAL game was never that close). The fight happens at the HOU game. They return home and lose to PHI by 10 and then @MIN by 26 and Lance time ends (a few mop up minutes in blowouts after that).
    GSW +9
    OKC -24
    DAL - 8
    HOU -17
    PHI - 10
    MIN -26

The 9-5 team just went 1-6 with Lance put into the bench rotation, mostly 1st half only, and none of the losses were even close. OKC was good but not the elite team, DAL was the better team at that time. HOU was .500 (ie, no better than the Vogel version of the Pacers) and PHI was sub-500. MIN that won by 26 in Indy was one of the worst teams in the NBA (16-50 then)
    Yeah Dallas was the better team at the time. Better as in THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT SEASON. And Oklahoma City absolutely was an elite team by that point. They won 55 games that year and lost to Dallas in the WCF's. Durant and Westbrook were already firmly entrenched as elite players by 2011, particularly Durant. So we're going to blame blowout losses on the road to the two Western Conference Finalist teams on the "Lance Experiment"? That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it and is absolving too many other players of blame. Look, Born Ready clearly wasn't ready at that point, but those two losses were against SUPERIOR OPPONENTS.....superior as in eventual NBA champion and other Western Conference Finalist. Losing on the road in Houston? Well, Houston did actually win more games than the Pacers that year, even though they missed the playoffs in the tough West. These were tough road games in the West that a young inexperienced team like the 2011 Pacers are supposed to lose

The truth is that the 2011 Pacers were still an extremely young team and them getting drilled on the road by a couple of superior opponents was hardly a surprise. It also wasn't even a complete surprise when we lost to Minny and Philly at home. These sorts of things happen when you are an 8 seed team, which is what those Pacers were. There was a reason that everyone was excited when we competed hard and lost 4-1 to the Bulls. The expectations were not high that season. It was still a young team that was nowhere near ready to take the next leap, but they at least showed something big by competing against Chicago. Then Bird added West and Hill, and the team matured greatly. The rest is history.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Paul George's demeanor suggests he is becoming less mature, not more mature. And Lance, although he can focus it better most times, is still a loose cannon at many times.
    So he's *****ing too much about the refs. So do a lot of star players. Doesn't mean they're otherwise NOT mature in the locker room. I'm basing this off of what I've been told by someone who would know, and otherwise I think if you judge Paul on the entirety of what he says and does on/off the floor, the dude is pretty clearly to me a mostly mature person. I'll leave it at that.

Lance, yeah, he's still a loose canon sometimes, but everything we've heard reported about him since his rookie seasons shows us he's taken huge leaps and bounds forward in a maturity since then. I highly, highly doubt he's liable to cause any fights in the locker room today or moving forward.

It's a possibility, but a very low one IMO.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

One other story that Trader Joe can verify.

The Pacers met at a high profile downtown restaurant to work out the contract with Bynum and his agent (both in person). Bird, Pritch and Vogel were the Pacers team. It sounds like the planning was fairly last day type stuff as well, so perhaps these talks picked up recently and went quickly after that.

I guess Bird isn't too impressed with really any backup centers in the NBA (not Ian directed at all) and laughed at how they still all want big money due to size (which you have to give).

Vogel apparently made a very serious push on the point that "this is a team and we expect team play" and even "we are interviewing you as much as you are us" regarding his chance to join the Pacers. Sounded like Frank was pretty concerned about potential issues and moreso than he was excited about the addition. This is not to say he doesn't want the player, just saying that his current mindset is in line with the debates we've been having, ie "chemistry is important, we won't tolerate issues". I'm sure if/when things settle in he'll love having the Bynum option.

I guess I thought it was sort of weird that they wouldn't hammer out a deal at BILF, and I was pleased but not surprised to hear Vogel pushing the concepts Vogel always pushes. It's why he's one of the best.

*edit - and who turned around that banner so fast? To me it's almost a bit weird to already have that up in BILF. At least wait till the guy can attend a game first. What if something comes up in the next 2 weeks and things fall apart? What benefit is there to having it up last night?

I suppose they think the high profile name will help ticket sales, although at this point do they need much help in that area?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-02-2014 at 03:10 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sollozo, it's certainly normally possible that the team faced a couple of tough teams and that sent them into a spiral. But the problem here is we know 100% that Lance got into a lockerroom fight with vet players in the middle of this run and that outside of that run the team played a much higher brand of ball.

They faced other blowouts but then also won the night before or after.

I wasn't trying to downplay the quality of DAL or OKC but I admit it sounds like that. The issue was the quality of their own competition. They could have lost by more to OKC and DAL if either of those teams wanted to throttle them and were absolutely non-competitive in Houston. Foster expressed his frustration directly to Gnome and I, that's not 2nd hand info.

That stretch was not just "playing some bad ball" right now, there was a chemistry issue that wrecked the output on the floor. Insiders don't even try to deny it when I bring it up...casually and more in reference to how far things have come, etc.

Also this isn't a Lance-bash. He was young and part of the problem but most have at least indirectly acknowledged that other problem players were moved which really helped chemistry. Lance had to mature and has done a pretty good job of that so far.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So you're pretty comfortable with the last 2 weeks? I mean it's only a 2 week stretch of bad losses to PHX and DEN and nearly a bad loss to SAC and BRK. They only fell behind OKC for the top seed so really it had no impact on their title chances.

And that's not even due to any Bynum issue. That's just regular basketball.

Yes, for a team that's not just playing "wouldn't the 4 seed be nice" basketball and really just building for next year I am pretty darn worried about a 1-6 stretch of chemistry disaster. I'll be happy to apologize when they beat Miami in game 7 in Miami and then win game 7 in OKC too, even though my worry wouldn't have been wrong because I'm worried about losing the seeding rather than whether they can win a road game or not.

I'm debating the idea that literally nothing can possibly be negatively affected by signing Bynum, it's just all for free with no possible consequences. I think that view is very naive.

This team doesn't have the safety net of "just happy to be here" that the 10-11 team did. And Lance was truly a zero-risk guy, unknown nationally, 2nd round rookie, who cares if he doesn't produce. Lance failing then cost the team 10 times less than Bynum failing now. No one noticed outside of Indy and Lance wasn't even getting cheap signing Bynum money. The team expectations were very low, they weren't even in the playoffs at that point.

If a team with zero pressure can be almost instantly derailed by a rotation change then why can't a team with no margin for error succumb to a similar change?

My point is not "this WILL happen". My point is "oh, there is nothing to worry about" is just nuts. Of course things can go wrong, the risk assessment is way off from most circles.
    I agree with what u are saying ( in principle )....the Pacers ( right now ) can be considered the proverbial "Train that can be derailed by a penny left on the train tracks". The question will be what Vogel does to integrate Bynum into the lineup....whether Bynum does end up as Mahinmi's replacement with regular back up minutes in the rotation....or is truly considered as the 3rd Center of the Team and only played when Vogel waves the "white flag of surrender" or "lights the victory cigar" ( in both cases, I mean play Copeland ).

I will admit...I am loathe to change what is working. The best case scenario for Bynum is that he completely replaces Mahinmi in the lineup. Despite what many may think of Mahinmi....swapping him out for Bynum will affect team chemistry. The question is whether it works out for the better or not.

My guess ( and hope ) if that happens is that we will see a lot of "I wish Mahinmi was on the court, cuz Bynum is not at doing this or that" posts in the game thread.....while expecting to see the opposite "I'm glad that Bynum was on the court, cuz Mahinmi wasn't able to do this or that" type of posts in the game thread.

The only thing that I DO NOT want to see is a Two-Headed Backup Center rotation. My preference is to go with one or the other....not some mish-mash of both. This is mainly because I want to build chemistry with Bynum and the 2nd Unit if he does get regular minutes in the rotation.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

So he's *****ing too much about the refs. So do a lot of star players. Doesn't mean they're otherwise NOT mature in the locker room. I'm basing this off of what I've been told by someone who would know, and otherwise I think if you judge Paul on the entirety of what he says and does on/off the floor, the dude is pretty clearly to me a mostly mature person. I'll leave it at that.

Lance, yeah, he's still a loose canon sometimes, but everything we've heard reported about him since his rookie seasons shows us he's taken huge leaps and bounds forward in a maturity since then. I highly, highly doubt he's liable to cause any fights in the locker room today or moving forward.

It's a possibility, but a very low one IMO.
    I'm not just talking about the whining, which, as you seem to know by your tone, annoys the hell out of me. He also almost always blames teammates for his mistakes. You see Quinn mentioning this a lot on the broadcasts. I can live with the Celebrations, but except for the one 6 game stretch where he was very good, he has not played like an all star, let alone an all-star starter over the last month. The effort has not been consistently there, he tends to fall asleep on defense a lot more, and generally just settle for offense with jump shots. (If he's not just standing off in a corner looking for a 3)

Consistency is a part of his maturity as well. He's still inconsistent, maybe that will improve? I just don't like his mentality at all, feel like he feels he is self entitled, he was whined about the refs multiple times now on Twitter, and honestly, these phantom foul calls he is looking for just don't exist. When he starts attacking the rim more, he may have a case, but a majority of the time, he is not going to get a call for a touch foul on his elbow as he is releasing a contested jump shot. Just doesn't happen. He's started to pull a D-Wade too where he just whines to the ref instead of getting back on defense which kills the Pacers in transition.

Also, he tries to make the flashy play almost always. There's a straight pass available to a wide open 3 point shooter but he will try to make the bullet pass to Ian(and then blame Ian for not catching the poor pass.) Additionally, he will try to make behind the back passes, and nifty dribble moves, when frankly, he is still not a good ball handler, although much improved from last year. His turnovers are so frustrating because he never seems to learn.

Maybe he is more mature in the locker room like your source says, but from everything I've noticed, he really has not improved in maturity on the court.

In regards to Lance, I mostly agree with you, but I still worry about his team attitude sometimes. We've seen it when he is chasing triple doubles. He is really good at not retaliating though, even though he does seem to be taken advantage of refs regarding his reputation sometimes.

Overall, they are 23, but I would really like to see some more improvement, specifically from Paul.
    @qandrews9428

That, and since then Lance grew up, Hill and West came in and made a huge impact on the culture of the team, Paul George is growing into another Hill/West kind of guy in the locker room (according to someone who is occasionally inside said locker room, per private conversation), not to mention the presence of the other players who have never been known to be drama-makers, and the rest of this coaching staff, and Bird. There are many reasons to not be alarmed about what Bynum might or might not do to this team and its chemistry. And this is all assuming Bynum's going to **** with things in the first place, which he has every reason NOT TO DO right now for the sake of his career, and because he's been known to be on best behavior on strong, title-contending teams, AND we have at least some talk from Cleveland saying he wasn't a bad guy up there.

Yeah, it's weird/sad that the Irving story gives us all some comfort with Bynum, but it does.

But I really wonder what the Digest view of Bynum's impact on a team would be if he had signed with Miami, OKC or POR instead. Often Digest puts a lot of emphasis on the BnG uniform when evaluating a player, as in their rating instantly goes up a few notches.

Bynum is less risk and has more upside now because he signed with the Pacers? I like optimism but not too much I suppose.

And I'm sorry if all the posting and attitude sounds like I'm mad or I hate the idea. I'm passionate about one sub-point which is the risk assessment. That's all. I say it's more risk, but I also think we have great guys and that this could be a lot of fun in a few months if it works out. Hard to be a game changer when I already thought they would win a title, but somehow this could be one.

Separate topic that you guys might already have going a few pages back:

If Bynum fails here is this the very end of his NBA/basketball career? If not now and here then when, where and why?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Paul has been dreadful lately, at least by starter/AS standards.

He, not Hill, got lit up by Joe Johnson. Then he moved over to Livingston and consistantly let him go free to the rim both on picks and even just head to head spin and dribble moves. It was borderline disgusting from a guy that is normally a superior defender.

He looks unmotivated. And in that way it shows immaturity because he either hasn't learned to handle his own fame or hasn't learned to handle the dog days of the grind. All the guys have stretches, but Paul's really stands out for length and how bad he's been on both ends.

To me that's not a factor because the LR is all about West, Roy, Granger, Hill and Vogel, plus a bunch of younger guys or bench guys that support and respect those players.

If anything Paul might get his own talking to if some of the defensive effort keeps up (ie down).

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great points made by all as usual on PD.

Going to summarize as simply as possible.

I trust in the LEGEND.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One other story that Trader Joe can verify.

The Pacers met at a high profile downtown restaurant to work out the contract with Bynum and his agent (both in person). Bird, Pritch and Vogel were the Pacers team. It sounds like the planning was fairly last day type stuff as well, so perhaps these talks picked up recently and went quickly after that.

I guess Bird isn't too impressed with really any backup centers in the NBA (not Ian directed at all) and laughed at how they still all want big money due to size (which you have to give).

Vogel apparently made a very serious push on the point that "this is a team and we expect team play" and even "we are interviewing you as much as you are us" regarding his chance to join the Pacers. Sounded like Frank was pretty concerned about potential issues and moreso than he was excited about the addition. This is not to say he doesn't want the player, just saying that his current mindset is in line with the debates we've been having, ie "chemistry is important, we won't tolerate issues". I'm sure if/when things settle in he'll love having the Bynum option.

I guess I thought it was sort of weird that they wouldn't hammer out a deal at BILF, and I was pleased but not surprised to hear Vogel pushing the concepts Vogel always pushes. It's why he's one of the best.

*edit - and who turned around that banner so fast? To me it's almost a bit weird to already have that up in BILF. At least wait till the guy can attend a game first. What if something comes up in the next 2 weeks and things fall apart? What benefit is there to having it up last night?

I suppose they think the high profile name will help ticket sales, although at this point do they need much help in that area?
    I don't get the point of your post bombing of this thread, especially this post--what do you expect the coach to say? "Please sign with us, don't go to the Heat!? How much must we pay?!!!" We get it, the signing could be bad, it could be good.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Bynum, on his worst day, is three times the player that Mahinmi is on his best day. Bynum, at his peak, is arguably the best center in the league, and even at his current rate is better than most, and surely -- by far -- the best backup center.

There is no way he doesn't fall into the rotation at some point provided he's both healthy and behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Bynum, on his worst day, is three times the player that Mahinmi is on his best day. Bynum, at his peak, is arguably the best center in the league, and even at his current rate is better than most, and surely -- by far -- the best backup center.

There is no way he doesn't fall into the rotation at some point provided he's both healthy and behaving.
    A healthy motivated Bynum yes, but I won't put my faith in either of those until I see him on the court.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post

The Laker version of Bynum, yes, I would agree. The current version of Bynum? I think he's an improvement on offense for the sole fact that he can catch the ball and has a few post moves, but defensively I think him and Ian are a wash. Again, Zach Lowe had a pretty nice breakdown of Bynum on Grantland that is well worth the read.

He looks unmotivated. And in that way it shows immaturity because he either hasn't learned to handle his own fame or hasn't learned to handle the dog days of the grind. All the guys have stretches, but Paul's really stands out for length and how bad he's been on both ends.
    He looks tired.

This whole "play Paul George as the primary defender and the primary offensive threat for 40 minutes a night" thing is a serious problem.

We need Danny to play better so PG's minutes start going down. Danny, I love ya dude, but we need more from you than we're getting.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    He looks tired.

This whole "play Paul George as the primary defender and the primary offensive threat for 40 minutes a night" thing is a serious problem.

We need Danny to play better so PG's minutes start going down. Danny, I love ya dude, but we need more from you than we're getting.
    And if not, I think we need to start playing Orlando Johnson and Soloman Hill from time to time to rest PG a bit more, maybe

39. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    He looks tired.

I agree that Danny needs to play better, but we also need more offensive production from George Hill. Seize those opportunities young fella!

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post: