Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

Wait, there is a narrative out there that we signed Bynum as a measure against Greg Oden? I don't mean to correct the Legend, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You'll all see when it's Greg Oden vs Andrew Bynum one on one deciding game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, on a last second hook shot.

(I'm also a Nigerian Prince who has a lot of money I'd like to give away).
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, there is a narrative out there that we signed Bynum as a measure against Greg Oden? I don't mean to correct the Legend, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    Wait, it gets dumber! We signed Bynum to keep him from teaming up with Oden!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdw For This Useful Post:

Factoring in the scenario, people saying he'll join the team next week. After next week, it's the week leading up to all-star weekend. After all star weekend, we don't play until Tuesday against Atlanta, and Wednesday in Minnesota. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's when we'd see him play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just thought of something, don't recall if it's already been mentioned here.

With the All-Star break coming up shortly, and considering that both A) Frank Vogel and staff will be coaching the game and B) Bynum isn't even joining the team for "a week or so" - I am realizing that the timing of all this is a bit unfortunate.

*IF* Frank and staff were not coaching the All Star team, it would be the perfect time for them to meet with Bynum and give him a crash course in the Pacers playbook and philosophy.

But, because the coaching staff will likely be very busy, and Bynum won't be arriving here until precisely that busy time...

I am starting to understand why Frank is saying its going to be 'several weeks'

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm late to the thread, so maybe this has been covered, but I'm just surprised this actually happened. Neither good or bad surprised, just straight out bolt out of the blue shocked. This doesn't seem like our type of move at all.

That said, I don't really think Bynum moves the needle either way. I don't think he'll be a problem, but I'm not expecting him to be an asset either. In fact, it won't surprise me if he barely plays (but then, as this transaction proved, I've been badly wrong before).

What's interesting though is that it seems we've become a destination city for bought out players. You know, the guys who used to sign in droves with teams like the Heat, Knicks, or Lakers. So whether Bynum works out or not, I think this deal could be the blueprint for future additions when we're struggling with luxury tax. So be prepared to welcome players with all sorts of warts in the coming years.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So what was Andrew's Bynum's conduct detrimental to the team??

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    .............. thanks to the 5th best player in the league right now (Lance Stephenson, Paul George, Andrew Bynum, and Kevin Durant are above him... in that order).
    Wha, wha - what ??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lets look at the history here on Bynum for a moment. this kid was drafted straight out of HS by the Lakers. He had to play with Kobe who has been known to butt heads with Shaq and D12 along w Bynum at one time. Then this kid is traded to philly which has not won much since AI and prior to that Barkley & Dr. J. Cleveland appears to be a franchise nobody wants to play for. Kyrie wants out and Deng echos the same sentiments.

in addition to the knee issues and dealing w kobe, dysfunctional franchise in the cavs, and then philly maybe the guy was losing his desire to play ball. not aware of all the attitude issues other than he was reportedly sleeping with an asst coaches wife in Cleveland. but I am willing to dismiss whatever went down in lala land and Bynum did contribute to a championship.

watching highlights of him dominate the bulls and Noah earlier this season does give reason for hope that if he can keep his head on straight this guy can help us win a championship.

this is really a perfect situation for him in that he is playing for the first time perhaps ever in his career in an offense that is suited to maximize his strengths. in la it was all about kobe. Cleveland played more or a perimeter game. here he can focus on playing ball in an offense that is all aobut playing inside out.

Bynum wants to get paid. this is a strong signing for the BnG. Bynum can accomplish winning and putting himself in a position to get paid this offseason. albeit not likely by us,,, but if he helps this team win a Championship both parties will have benefitted.

if Bynum wants to get paid he is going to do all he can to help this team win. unless he has some other attitude issue im not aware I say give this kid a chance just like we did w Lance who many of us including myself was not a big fan of when this team decided to roll the dice w him.

Pacers now have a total of 5 all stars at one time or another on their current roster. not sure if scola ever was but he and lance almost give us 7.

my hunch is again bynums gonna be a good soldier because at the end of the day.. or this season more specifically he wants to get paid.

good times for the Pacer Faithful. I still don't know if we can beat the Thunder but we gotta get there first.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerCrazy View Post
    I know there have been various rumors but did it ever come out what he did? The team doesn't seem excited about him coming in.
    Bennet is the "new guy" joining the group. All the Pacers have worked hard to get to where they are today, and Bynum clearly has not earned the right to be a part of such a close knit group. Players will be cold and distant until Bynum proves himself.
    David "And One" West

Who knows what happened in Cleveland. There are a lot of rumors, but considering what we are hearing from other guys like Deng and rumors about Kyrie not wanting to be there make me think it is just a terribly run team with no leadership in the locker room (something the Pacers have a plethora of).

Now, let's think about things from Andrew Bynum's perspective. We don't really know exactly how much interest there was from teams to sign him, but I think it is safe to say that teams weren't exactly knocking down the door to get to him. Why? Some teams don't want to take a risk on a guy who has had significant knee problems, others don't want to deal with a guy with supposed major attitude issues. So, Indiana and Larry Bird come knocking and decide to give him a chance. Now, every GM in the NBA is watching. Bynum was an incredible player in LA (a winning team with great leadership), but couldn't make it work when playing on teams with no leadership. He now is back on a team that has a great chance to win a title and has very strong leaders in the locker room. If Bynum screws this opportunity up, his NBA career is over....no question about it. His injury concerns combined with the attitude issues will be way too much if he can't get it turned around. He is in the best possible situation right now. He is on a team that doesn't really need him, but will look to him to provide a few minutes off the bench. He could be a big part in our playoff run. If Bynum avoids any problems and stays healthy, the interest in him as a free agent will skyrocket. He is too valuable of a player to pass on because of injuries (David West ring a bell?). If he can show that he isn't the immature player that some say he is, he will be rewarded handsomely by a team in need of some size.

So, I think we have very, very little to worry about. If Bynum can't make it work here, he doesn't have much of an NBA career left. If he can, I imagine a lot of NBA GMs will look at him differently and be willing to take a shot (assuming they are a reasonable contender with strong leadership).

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

Strangely, i worry more about our players accepting Bynum, than Bynum himself trying to fit in.

I know the guys haven't met with Bynum yet, but none of them seemed even the least bit thrilled at his arrival.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    I think I read something about the supposed "coach's wife" story didn't have much to stand on cause the "supposed coach" isn't even married.
    I read the article but can't remember all the details. I thought it was referring to Mike Brown and if that's the case he is married. Usually even false stories take off on the Internet. I've never seen one just go away like that. If there is anything to this it exceeds Ron Artest crazy.
    A: You're a millionair basketball player with a lot of women to choose from.
    B: The age difference
    C: Your bosses wife
    D: It cost you 6 million dollars

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

watching highlights of him dominate the bulls and Noah earlier this season does give reason for hope that if he can keep his head on straight this guy can help us win a championship.
    This board would go into meltdown mode if he shot as much as he shot in that game. He took (and made) some tough shots that if those don't fall...well there's your new target of this board's hatred.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Just thought of something, don't recall if it's already been mentioned here.

With the All-Star break coming up shortly, and considering that both A) Frank Vogel and staff will be coaching the game and B) Bynum isn't even joining the team for "a week or so" - I am realizing that the timing of all this is a bit unfortunate.

*IF* Frank and staff were not coaching the All Star team, it would be the perfect time for them to meet with Bynum and give him a crash course in the Pacers playbook and philosophy.

But, because the coaching staff will likely be very busy, and Bynum won't be arriving here until precisely that busy time...

I am starting to understand why Frank is saying its going to be 'several weeks'
    Maybe, but then again isn't that normally when players and coaches alike who aren't involves in ASW go on vacation?

As for when he plays, I'm telling myself the end of February beginning of March until I see and hear otherwise. I'm hoping it's closer to just after the AS break though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I'm late to the thread, so maybe this has been covered, but I'm just surprised this actually happened. Neither good or bad surprised, just straight out bolt out of the blue shocked. This doesn't seem like our type of move at all.

That said, I don't really think Bynum moves the needle either way. I don't think he'll be a problem, but I'm not expecting him to be an asset either. In fact, it won't surprise me if he barely plays (but then, as this transaction proved, I've been badly wrong before).

What's interesting though is that it seems we've become a destination city for bought out players. You know, the guys who used to sign in droves with teams like the Heat, Knicks, or Lakers. So whether Bynum works out or not, I think this deal could be the blueprint for future additions when we're struggling with luxury tax. So be prepared to welcome players with all sorts of warts in the coming years.
    The Pistons of 2002-2008 did very well with bought out players. They didn't have great success signing other teams free agents (McDyess was the best in that period), but were a destination for the top bought out players. Since the Pacers are on pace to duplicate that type of success (1 NBA title, 2 NBA finals, 6 straight ECFs), you're correct IMO in saying be prepared for that.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    Lets look at the history here on Bynum for a moment. this kid was drafted straight out of HS by the Lakers. He had to play with Kobe who has been known to butt heads with Shaq and D12 along w Bynum at one time. Then this kid is traded to philly which has not won much since AI and prior to that Barkley & Dr. J. Cleveland appears to be a franchise nobody wants to play for. Kyrie wants out and Deng echos the same sentiments.

in addition to the knee issues and dealing w kobe, dysfunctional franchise in the cavs, and then philly maybe the guy was losing his desire to play ball. not aware of all the attitude issues other than he was reportedly sleeping with an asst coaches wife in Cleveland. but I am willing to dismiss whatever went down in lala land and Bynum did contribute to a championship.

this is really a perfect situation for him in that he is playing for the first time perhaps ever in his career in an offense that is suited to maximize his strengths. in la it was all about kobe. Cleveland played more or a perimeter game. here he can focus on playing ball in an offense that is all aobut playing inside out.

Bynum wants to get paid. this is a strong signing for the BnG. Bynum can accomplish winning and putting himself in a position to get paid this offseason. albeit not likely by us,,, but if he helps this team win a Championship both parties will have benefitted.

if Bynum wants to get paid he is going to do all he can to help this team win. unless he has some other attitude issue im not aware I say give this kid a chance just like we did w Lance who many of us including myself was not a big fan of when this team decided to roll the dice w him.

Pacers now have a total of 5 all stars at one time or another on their current roster. not sure if scola ever was but he and lance almost give us 7.

my hunch is again bynums gonna be a good soldier because at the end of the day.. or this season more specifically he wants to get paid.

good times for the Pacer Faithful. I still don't know if we can beat the Thunder but we gotta get there first.
    Very well put........
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ve-ever-heard/

Larry Bird says notion that Pacers signed Bynum to keep him from Heat is ‘the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’

The Pacers signed Andrew Bynum for the remainder of the season, and some think it was a move based purely in defense — off the court, much more than on it.

Indiana has been the best team in the East over the first half of the season, and team chemistry has been at at all-time high. Head coach Frank Vogel has his players locked in on the singular goal of finishing the regular season with the league’s best record, so if there are any postseason Game 7s this year, they’ll be played on the Pacers’ home floor.

Adding a questionable personality in the middle of a successful season like this one seems to be a risky move for the Pacers, at least on the surface. Unless, of course, they have little use for Bynum in the grand scheme of things, and simply wanted to make sure he didn’t land on another contender’s roster.

That’s all pure nonsense to Pacers GM Larry Bird, however, who wasn’t exactly kind in responding to that specific allegation.

From Mark Montieth of Pacers.com:

“I ain’t worried about next year,” team president Larry Bird said following the Pacers’ game-day shootaround on Saturday. “We’re in the now. We’re going to do everything we can to go as far as we possibly can.” …

Bird scoffed at the notion that the Pacers might be signing Bynum merely to keep him away from Miami or other contending teams.

“We don’t have the money to throw around and let them sit on our bench,” he said. “That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”

The Heat were said to be one of the teams interested in Bynum once he became available, and the Pacers’ reported interest came a little bit later. Most assumed that Indiana would only grab Bynum as a preventative measure, in order to ensure that Miami didn’t scoop up another big body to deal with Roy Hibbert come playoff time.

But the reality is that Bynum isn’t really a fit for what the Heat do defensively, which has historically involved more active bigs who have been expected to be able to cover the ground necessary to get out to the perimeter on defensive rotations.

It’s been clear from the preseason that the Pacers are all-in this year, and Bird knows better than anyone how slim the window can be for a team’s title chances. He clearly believes Bynum is an upgrade to the bench and nothing else, but the fact that the Heat or another contender can’t have him now certainly doesn’t hurt Indiana’s long-term prospects.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Always seemed like the best scenario for Bynum was a place with low expectations and a good culture. Always thought San Antonio made a ton of sense. I guess we do too.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I read the article but can't remember all the details. I thought it was referring to Mike Brown and if that's the case he is married. Usually even false stories take off on the Internet. I've never seen one just go away like that. If there is anything to this it exceeds Ron Artest crazy.
    A: You're a millionair basketball player with a lot of women to choose from.
    B: The age difference
    C: Your bosses wife
    D: It cost you 6 million dollars
    If there was any truth to it I doubt that the post would've been removed. I also don't think there is a lot of truth to it because his former teammates, agent, and friend didn't seem to know what went wrong other than he was jacking up wild shots and looking disinterested in practice. It's very specious if you ask me.

I just think that the Cavs needed an excuse to exercise the out-clause and they decided to put all the blame on Bynum.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/andr...issue-1.456882
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 02-02-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I honestly think Brown's just way too nice. The guy's a pushover and lets the inmates run the asylum, he commands zero respect.
    Why respect a coach that stands away from the huddle at the scorer's table while his assistant coach comes up with offensive plays? One of the most comical moments I've ever seen as an NBA spectator was during the Lebron years, and in a heated contest (with I believe the Celtics) in the final moments, the camera cut to Mike Brown looking like a deer caught in the headlights, with the image of his entire team behind him in the huddle while the guy whose name escapes me (went on to coach the Pistons) drew up the final play. My brother, who at the time, was a giant Mike Brown supporter, even took the time to let out a small chuckle. Mike Brown would make a great defensive minded assistant coach. But when you lack the ability to control a locker room, or understand a basic rudimentary offensive system, you're essentially a glorified assistant with a title of Head Coach. One of the main reasons his tenure in La La Land was so short.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Comparing Isaiah to Vogel is pretty hilarious. Comparing Artest to Bynum is almost as hilarious. Bynum has had his incidents, but he's no Artest. Plus, Artest was a starter... Bynum is a cheap backup.
    Funny that you and Hicks jumped on the Isiah example and ran away from the FRANK VOGEL LOST THE TEAM, WENT ON A SERIES OF BLOWOUTS THAT ENDED IN A LOCKER ROOM FIGHT...all over chemistry issues of introducing a player to backup minutes in the 2nd quarter, a player that's still on the team.

That s*** isn't ancient history and that's not some other coach. That team was on-track and winning games post-JOB and for a window of about 2 weeks looked like the worst team in the freaking NBA. Gnome and I traveled to see those games so they are ingrained in my mind. Gnome talked to Foster the night the locker room fight happened and you know what his mood was like? Depressed and frustrated.

mid-game as Foster stood next to us to rest his back
    Gnome: "Tough night?"
    Foster: "You have no idea"

The only thing you have now is West and some bonding experience. But don't tell me that Jeff Foster wasn't a mature vet with some say on the team. There were guys on that team that were mature and many that are still on this team that have always been considered good guys.

Lance had ZERO profile in the national media sense and the Pacers weren't trying to fend off Miami and OKC for the #1 NBA record. So all that maturity and the West addition is offset by the fact that this team is in a much more precarious position in terms of how much fall off they can take in relation to their goal (a title) and how much more distracting a Bynum failure now would be vs the Lance experiment a couple seasons ago.

When Lance failed no one outside of Indy, and even most media within Indy, even noticed. Just more losing by a team that was losing yet again with some unknown temp coach. When (if) Bynum fails EVERYONE will notice, reporters will fly to Indy to interview people specifically about the failure and how it is affecting the team. You won't be able to cleanly cut the cord because Bynum is a national story of interest in the same way Tebow or even Kim Kardashian are - people are curious about the failure as much as the success.

And that team could take 3-4 game blowout losses with virtually no impact on their current position. 8th seed and playoffs was a borderline goal and achievable even with a serious losing record. 3 weeks of bad ball and frustration over trying to wedge a new guy into the mix could mean giving up home court in the only 2 series you care about - Miami and the Finals.

The point with Isiah's team was that no one on Pacers Digest or elsewhere thought that team was about to be a first round out epic meltdown. Even the fans that didn't like the defensive brand or were annoyed by Artest's weirdness had to admit that the team was seriously making it work. They were winning A LOT of games, they were the best team in the East just like they would be the following year when they didn't meltdown in the 2nd half.

In fact Isiah's season followed by Carlisle's season is my point - chemistry is more important than talent, period. No amount of talent could savage Isiah's season and he even had Brad Miller to help even if Ron lost it. Carlisle lost Brad which meant he had to rely on Ron much more, not less. Carlisle put Tinsley on the bench to start the season as well. So he 100% had less overall talent to work with but had a much better result because he coaxed some buy-in out of everyone.

It's that delicate.

And while Hicks may not have been one to worry about Granger's return, it was a big story. I'd have to look to see if Montieth did an article on it, but certainly lots of other sports journalists did. So this "what are we worried about" angle rings false as h*** to me. Granger was a proven teammate of ALL the main guys. He was a key guy with West, Roy, Hill and Paul. It's like people forget he already had played with those guys and had winning chemistry with them (6 games vs Miami playoff run).

And yet we are supposed to worry that a proven guy who has teammates giving him hugs and high 5s on his first bucket after his return in Detroit might be a chemistry problem, and we aren't supposed to worry that this exact same group of players/coaches can easily tolerate an outsider with a known track record of chemistry issues.

Give me a break. Maybe Hicks is above having to pick a side, but a lot of people around this city are not. Either Bynum is a worry and a bigger one that Granger, or Granger was easily going to fit back in because we don't even have to worry about Bynum.

I am NOT SAYING BYNUM WILL FAIL. I'm not discussing that at all. I'm saying that an addition like this is always a risk, no matter how strong the team bond already is. Adding some D-League bench guy that no one has heard of, no big deal. But adding a "celebrity" player now as famous for his failures as his successes? Yes, that will always be a risk, even to Bird's Celtics or Magic's Lakers.

I am also NOT SAYING IT MIGHT NOT BE AN EPIC WIN. This very well could be our Rasheed Wallace, it's got a lot of similarities. Best defense in the NBA adds a very tall, very long big man to play with a team that already features a DPOY frontline star type? Added on a buyout deal on the cheap. And the player has a history of chemistry issues?

It's identical to me. The potential impact could be a reduction in PPG allowed on a level similar to those Pistons, or certainly it could impact the team overall in that way. Bynum working hard and healthy enough to do what is asked of him? Good lord.

But the risk is higher than people think, and it ties to his health and national attention more than it does to whether Roy or West can handle dealing with him.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The one seemingly noticeable difference between Sheed and Bynum is that Sheed was thought to be liked and even respected by pretty much all of his teammates everywhere he played...Im not really sure you can say that regarding Bynum to this point...lets hope it turns out hes liked and respected by the team here...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Frank takes over 17-27 Pacers

They go 9-5 with 2 of the losses coming in OT (just missing an 11-3 run). Only the final game of this stretch, an OT loss to PHX, features any Lance PT (he gets 4 minutes).

Then Lance starts getting his regular "development" minutes. They beat GSW then go on the road to lose to OKC, DAL and HOU by 24, 8 and 17 (and the DAL game was never that close). The fight happens at the HOU game. They return home and lose to PHI by 10 and then @MIN by 26 and Lance time ends (a few mop up minutes in blowouts after that).
    GSW +9
    OKC -24
    DAL - 8
    HOU -17
    PHI - 10
    MIN -26

The 9-5 team just went 1-6 with Lance put into the bench rotation, mostly 1st half only, and none of the losses were even close. OKC was good but not the elite team, DAL was the better team at that time. HOU was .500 (ie, no better than the Vogel version of the Pacers) and PHI was sub-500. MIN that won by 26 in Indy was one of the worst teams in the NBA (16-50 then)

They go 10-8 the rest of the way including an OT win over the #1 seed Bulls. They make the playoffs thanks to a 20-18 run that was 19-12 outside the Lance experiment. They misssed the #7 seed by 4 games and made the playoffs by 2 games. They had some buffer that could absorb a 1-6 run instead of a 4-3 run. Do the current Pacers have that buffer over OKC and MIA?

UNKNOWN BENCH PLAYER. LOW MINUTES. VOGEL COACH. CHEMISTRY.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're worried about a two-week stretch at the beginning of Vogel's tenure. And they recovered and got it worked out.
    Apples, oranges, and all that, plus you're just going way too far with it, lol...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: