Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Suns Postgame Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Suns Postgame Thread

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    40-7 points off the bench. Thats the game right there. The Bench played terrible, but Lance even with this triple double didn't do much to help the bench out. Infact he basically turned in to Allen Iverson during his entire 1st quarter run with the bench.
    lol.. on one play Danny was standing open in the corner hands ready for a pass from lance.. next play danny didn't even bother getting ready to shoot. then when lance does get him the ball the clock expired.. I think that was what danny was upset about heading to the bench. lance has been missing him in the corners at times. which leads to next point.

the second unit has very little chemistry.. add to it the fact no one on this team can hit shots right now and this is the result... losing to PHX at home.

maybe teams are figuring out the pacers schemes. I liked this team a lot better when they moved the ball. the excessive one on one overdribbling is not what I thought this team was all about.

our 2nd unit is looking to get up shots too quickly and I think our starting lineup has stopped moving the ball and just overdribbling here more recently.

keep this up and buh bye 1 seed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Too many guys struggling at once, plus not enough energy from the opening tip.

Credit to Phoenix for their play. Plus they're a bad matchup for our D when they put 3 point shooters at PF and C.

The refs seemed... inconsistent to me as well.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I honestly don't know what the problem is...but I bet behind close doors the players do.

Its a long season but this last road trip combined with tonight game is definitely a cause for concern.

Last year we almost beat the heat in a tough seven game series, and this year a lot of people think were ready for them, but last year the heat won 27 freakin games in row!!

Thats dialed in, and I would love to see the Pacers achieve even half a streak like that
    There isn't a problem. We were going to lose 2 games in a row eventually

Sports Logo Sports Logo

suddenly GG has morped into a serviceable player.

I know its cold but I didn't expect to see hell freeze over this soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Right now I would say Plumlee, Green, Barbosa> Mahinmi,Scola, Watson. Crazy to think about for a team that supposedly "fixed" the bench problem. Bird's probably having nightmares right about now. Maybe they will get it turned around, but it's hard for me to even watch Scola right now on both ends of the court.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vogel's refusal to give Copeland a chance is starting to get a bit irritating, IMO. I'm not a big fan of signing him, but we might as well give the guy a shot, especially on nights like tonight when the other bench players aren't giving you anything on the offensive end.

At this rate, we will probably dump Copelad in the off season, only to watch him morph into a 15 ppg player on a winning team next year.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Vogel's refusal to give Copeland a chance is starting to get a bit irritating, IMO. I'm not a big fan of signing him, but we might as well give the guy a shot, especially on nights like tonight when the other bench players aren't giving you anything on the offensive end.

At this rate, we will probably dump Copelad in the off season, only to watch him morph into a 15 ppg player on a winning team next year.
    As much as he stuck with Augustin and GG last season (yes, I know some of it was necessity, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaang), I am not surprised he is sticking with the likes of Granger and Scola desite 0 production.

A few weeks ago- Our bench is great

Now- our bench sucks

How about we just let the season go by before we start determining whether they suck or not?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Going through the Shot chart and saw ( but expected ):

Dragic in the 1st half - 8 for 12 shooting ( I assume GH and CJ defending him )
    Dragic in the 2nd half - 3 for 9 shooting ( with PG24 hounding him for most of the 2nd half )

Many of you will have to speak for how good GH/CJ was defending Dragic ( probably horrifically ).....but I have no idea why Vogel DOES NOT switch up the defense on the opposing Team's best Guard that is lighting up our Team ( as joew8302 said ). Vogel does this eventually in the 2nd half if not in the 4th QTR....but he should have PG24 on the opposing Teams Guard the second that Player starts lighting us up...not wait until the other Team has blown up a huge lead against us. That's just poor coaching there.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

we just can't beat the suns can we
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

What happened to our great 3 point defense? We seem to be getting burned from downtown of late

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I'd be proud if the Suns were the lone team to sweep the Pacers this year. They play great, hard team basketball that is not gimmicky but conforms to the strengths of their players. Gerald was running the pick and roll better than anyone on our team not named Lance. Their sets create real spacing, giving their penetrators (even Ish) the opportunity to find open guys. Playing good offensive teams continues to pound home the increasingly perturbing fact that our offense is bad. The passing, the execution, the spacing, the decisiveness early in the shot-clock, all contributing to our poor efficiency on 'O'. I'm close to just giving on this season on offense. PG needs to be about 3X more effective on the PnR, and West and Luis have had hesitation moves without the moves when catching triple thread at the top of the key. Nobody in the world has enough time to list the bad on offense this season.

Ian Report: Mahinmi didn't get a whole lot of minutes, maybe only three or so in the second half. He missed a put back attempt in the second quarter, though I thought both he and Lance got fouled on the play. I will dock him points for being a little late on Dragon/Blur a few possessions. It's certainly tough when they are so capable of handing the ball off and Ian and Roy aren't sure if their guys are backing them up. (See PG's "switch" back onto Dragon on the Miles dunk.) But Ian was half a step slow on Dragon/Blur as they made their way to the hoop; both were super effective like electric on Gyarados scoring at the rim tonight, but he could have overplayed. Also, no fouls, which always leaves me lightheaded. About a 'C-'.

What's up with the transition D? Is this a legitimate weakness of the team, or is it a lack of hustle lately? Teams are running right by us.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:

Was nice to see we came back and made it competitive and had a chance to pull it out near the end. Sometimes a team is just a bad matchup, or you're not hitting shots, can't stick your head in the over every loss. Individual wins and losses are just too fluky to take too much from.

This game reminded me a lot of the Golden State game from last season when Paul George had 0 points. I said in that game thread that I wasn't concerned then, and I'm not concerned now. I do wonder if we pushed the gas pedal a little too hard at the beginning of the season though.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    What's up with the transition D? Is this a legitimate weakness of the team, or is it a lack of hustle lately? Teams are running right by us.
    We were number top in transition defense last year, could be mainly lack of effort, which was evident in 1st half.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I'm close to just giving on this season on offense. PG needs to be about 3X more effective on the PnR, and West and Luis have had hesitation moves without the moves when catching triple thread at the top of the key. Nobody in the world has enough time to list the bad on offense this season.
    We've been struggling offensivly for the past 3 seasons, part of it has to be on Vogel, part of it has to be our lack of passing/dribbling ability.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    We've been struggling offensivly for the past 3 seasons, part of it has to be on Vogel, part of it has to be our lack of passing/dribbling ability.
    It's something I've been trying to put my fingers on the whole season. We're a good-shooting, talented, turnover-prone team, but it seems like we should be better than 19th of the 30. I'm starting to think it's the power post offensive sets, especially to start the game. We're not utilizing Hill well, running too many PnRs for PG, force feeding an inefficient center, asking too much of a non-quite-decisive-or-creative-enough power forward, and getting way too far into the shot clock without good backup options. We're using the entirety of the floor, every one of our passes, all of the weak side screens that aren't helpful. I can't tell if it's too complicated or just wasteful. I would like a smart person to tell me what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    getting way too far into the shot clock without good backup options.
    That is a big part of it, we hold on/dribble the ball way too much, like Larry Bird mentioned in one of his recent interviews, our decision making isn't as crisp.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    We have lots of shot makers, but one and only one table setter. This is partially why Lance has been so effective and our offense has looked better this season.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was the Gerald Green I got all f*****g excited for last year. WTH.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Was nice to see we came back and made it competitive and had a chance to pull it out near the end. Sometimes a team is just a bad matchup, or you're not hitting shots, can't stick your head in the over every loss. Individual wins and losses are just too fluky to take too much from.

This game reminded me a lot of the Golden State game from last season when Paul George had 0 points. I said in that game thread that I wasn't concerned then, and I'm not concerned now. I do wonder if we pushed the gas pedal a little too hard at the beginning of the season though.
    We need the All Star break. I have mixed feelings about Paul, Roy, and the coaching staff not really getting a full break. Hopefully Scola gets the rest he really needs to be able to go farder.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

This has been quite an eye opener to see how good the Suns really are.
    They're speedy, have good shooters, and Dragic is quite a sparkplug.
    Have got to give them credit where credit is due; they're pretty good.

What really stood out as the difference maker in this game was the
    3-point shooting. They went 8-17 for 47%, while we were only 1-15
    for 7%. So if we made 2 more 3-pointers (3-15 20%) and they made
    1 less (7-17 41%), we would have been at 1/2 their 3-point shooting
    percentage but still would have won the game. That was too big of
    a disparity to overcome and was our killer.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 01-31-2014 at 01:24 PM.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This has been quite an eye opener to see how good the Suns really are.
    They're speedy, have good shooters, and Dragic is quite a sparkplug.
    Have got to give them credit where credit is due; they're pretty good.

What really stood out as the difference maker in this game was the
    3-point shooting. They went 8-17 for 47%, while we were only 1-15
    for 7%. So if we made 2 more 3-pointers and they made 1 less we
    would have won the game. That big of a disparity was the killer.
    Got to give Jeff Hornacek credit too.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

No one else has mentioned this so I will. Chris and Quinn had an interesting stat after the game. Teams returing from a 4 game road trip or longer are 21-19 in their first game back home this season. I wonder what the record is when there is only 1 day between games, I would guess the record is even worse.

if the game were tonight instead of last night - everything else being equal the Pacers win.

PLus as Hicks said the Suns offense is the exact type of offense that gives us the most trouble. Our most difficult play to defend is the high pick and roll with point guard and center. Roy cannot get out and stop the ball handler and he cannot get out and contest threes. Generally the pacers have been able to adjust to this play well enough to be 35-10, but the Suns run this play extremely well, so it is tough for us.

Nothing to be concerned about, still in excellent shape to get homecourt in eastern conference and overall. I expect a 6-1 record between now and the allstar break
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-31-2014 at 08:29 AM.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    That was the Gerald Green I got all f*****g excited for last year. WTH.
    A run and gun style just suits him far better than the slow conventional offense the Pacers run. You put him on the Pacers right now and I guarantee that he struggles again.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: