Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: All star reserves

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: All star reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we're really going as far as to make this a popularity contest as to why Lance didn't get in? He was a fringe player to begin with, by no means was he a shoo-in. If a player on any other team was averaging 14, 7 and 5 but didn't make the AS team, nobody here would bat an eye. But because Lance didn't make it, it's some sort of travesty and the only reasoning that makes sense is because people don't like him?
    If that team was in first place in the Conference and the league for the majority of the season, I'd bat an eye without a doubt.

I'm a firm believer that if the player is on a team that is winning games and putting up comparable numbers to a guy that has slightly higher numbers but plays on a lesser team, I'd select the player on the winning team. If it was Jeff Teague that was selected instead, I'd totally understand. Joe Johnson has had a nice month of January. Lance leads the NBA in rebounds from the guard position and in triple-doubles. He also leads the team with the best record (when the votes were cast) in assists. I'm not saying he has to be an All-Star but he shouldn't be passed over in favor of Joe Johnson... and I'm a Joe Johnson fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why Lance is the top SG:

Best rebounder
    Best passer
    One of the best finishers around the rim
    Can defend and shoot adequately
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    What about John Wall?

*does the John Wall dance*
    What about him? He made the team.

I have no problem with people highlighting Lowry as a big snub.

I'm OK with this math relationship

Lowry = DeRozan = Lance > Afflalo >>>>> JJ.

meaning two of the first 3 should be there, and any combination of two would not be an awful choice. But JJ is an awful choice.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    What about John Wall?

*does the John Wall dance*
    What about him? He's in, no questions asked.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Affalo is the only one that really has a gripe other than Lance

Lowry: 16.6pts 4.3rebs 7.6assists 43.7fg%
    Lance: 14.2pts 7.2rebs 5.4assists 49.9fg%

Al Jefferson wouldn't take JJ's spot, so he got pushed out by the other big men.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

You know, why didn't West get a similar uproar last year? He was far more deserving than Lance has been this year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Because the Pacers were limping along through the first part of the year last season. They have the best record this year.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I think the NBA should do what the NFL did for the pro bowl this year. Take the top 24 guys regardless of conference. Gotta figure Cousins and Anthony Davis are better than Millsap and Noah
    David "And One" West

They should also eliminate fan voting. If Carmello and Kyrie are really that great, then they should lead their teams to a .500 record in the crappy east
    David "And One" West

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

The NBA All-Star Game is for the fans. I have no problem with letting the fan vote decide the starters. They don't always get it right, but who cares, this isn't the Hall of Fame. It's an exhibition game for the fans. Of all the major professional sports, the NBA All-Star festivities are the only ones I watch or pay any attention to. I like the East vs. West. I think the thing that could be tinkered with at All-Star Weekend are the other competitions.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    But it isn't always as simple as straight numbers. Those numbers come within context. There is a lot that goes into a coaches decision to select a guy. Perception of a player can be heavily weighted based on a long history of excellence, as well as more recent play. The Nets, without Lopez and without Williams for 5 games have been able to pull off a 10-2 record in January, with one more game tonight. Coaches see that, they know what he has done in the past, they see that he is the number one option. Then they look at Stephenson who is usually at best the 3rd option with the starters, it is his first year of putting up great stats, and he has no real respect for the game or his opponents. Doesn't really seem far fetched that a coach would choose Joe Johnson over Stephenson.
    Courtesy of Zach Lowe:

Alas, he has no real All-Star case, especially in relation to Lowry and Arron Afflalo. His entire platform rests upon those few key buckets and the notion that he “carried” the Nets back to relevancy in January. That is simply not true. Johnson did score at least 25 points in five of six games during a stretch that began on January 6, but he hasn’t scored more than 13 points in a game since, and he preceded that hot streak with five consecutive single-digit scoring games.
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/10...me-selections/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    You know, why didn't West get a similar uproar last year? He was far more deserving than Lance has been this year.
    West also wasn't really wanting to go; ASW fell at the same time as one of his kids' birthdays.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This gets back to what I said before....I can see valid reasons as to why Afflalo and Lowry can get in over Lance.......but Joe Johnson? NONE WHATSOEVER.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This gets back to what I said before....I can see valid reasons as to why Afflalo and Lowry can get in over Lance.......but Joe Johnson? NONE WHATSOEVER.
    I was beside myself Davis and Cousins didn't get in I just don't see how they weren't selected.

Davis not getting in was a crime even with the injury.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I was beside myself Davis and Cousins didn't get in I just don't see how they weren't selected.

Davis not getting in was a crime even with the injury.
    I am guessing that someone wanted the glitz and glam of Griffin-Force on the All Star game and ( at worst ) one "last hurrah" for Dirk Diggler. I agree with you....Davis will likely get a lot more chances to make the ASG ( like next season ) but statistically and from an impact POV....I can see more than a reasonable justification for choosing Davis over Dirk...much less Griffin.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought it was either Lowry, Afflalo or Lance. With records, I thought it was either Lowry or Lance. Joe Johnson? Makes me think that they were strongly encouraged to vote one Brooklyn Net to represent what is supposed to be a superstar filled team.
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I thought it was either Lowry, Afflalo or Lance. With records, I thought it was either Lowry or Lance. Joe Johnson? Makes me think that they were strongly encouraged to vote one Brooklyn Net to represent what is supposed to be a superstar filled team.
    I would have voted for Brook Lopez to get in before frickin JJ......that guy going down makes a greater impact than missing out on frickin JJs 15ppg. Yeah, I know that this sounds illogical and unreasonable....but so is picking JJ over Lowry, Affalo or Lance.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anthony Davis will take Kobe's spot most likely...maybe Silver will pick Dragic...I don't see where Boogie gets in unless there's a frontcourt injury. Dirk shouldn't have made it over those 2 bigs.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I was only comparing Johnson to Lance, not any other player.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Hope Lance uses this experience as another maturation opportunity. I hope he didn't expect it or doesn't pout about it.

He keeps playing the way he's played this year (within himself, more focus on quality and less flash), and he'll be an All-Star soon enough. On this team. Count on it.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2014/s...-all-star-snub

Not everyone can be an All-Star. Just like not every team can be on top.

But Lance Stephenson is adamant his performance this season for the East-leading Indiana Pacers warranted a spot for this year's All-Star Game.

A 'Winning' Player

Lance Stephenson may have reason to be mad at his exclusion from the East All-Star team. The Pacers' guard ranks sixth in the conference in win-shares, which use advanced offensive and defensive stats to estimate the number of wins a player produces for his team.

"I'm mad. I feel like I had my breakout year last year," Stephenson told reporters after practice Friday, according to The Indianapolis Star. "I showed I can play with anyone on the floor and I felt like this year, I brought a little bit more to my game.

"But other people saw it differently. I'm just going to keep working hard and prove everyone wrong."

Roy Hibbert and Paul George were the only players to make the squad from the Pacers, who lead the Miami Heat by three games in the East.

Indiana coach Frank Vogel also will be on the floor as coach of the top team in the conference. Scott Brooks of the Oklahoma City Thunder will lead the West team.

DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors, who trail the Heat in third place, 11 games back, was one of two shooting guards chosen by the East coaches, along with Joe Johnson of the Brooklyn Nets.

Stephenson said he wasn't alone in his sentiments, and that it was evident by social-media reaction after Thursday's announcement of the complete All-Star rosters.

"All of them felt like I got screwed," Stephenson said, according to The Star. "Finally, everyone is on my side."

In his third full season, the second-round pick out of Cincinnati is averaging a career-high 14.2 points per game and 50 percent shooting from the field.

Vogel said he was happy with how Stephenson responded a day after the news.

"He's not verbally saying it, but I could tell he was hurt a little bit," Vogel said, according to The Star. "But he came in and had great energy in practice today, great positive energy. He can move on and hopefully go on a tear."

At one point Friday, during the portion of the practice open to the media, team president Larry Bird stepped onto the court and patted Stephenson on the back, according to The Star's report.

"It's hard," Vogel said. "It's something he deserved and he wanted it, so it's tough. You just do what you can. You squeeze him, you hug him a little tighter and make sure he understands how important he is to us."

George, voted into the All-Star Game by fans as a starter, echoed Vogel's thoughts.

"We all feel for him," George said, according to The Star. "We're all upset for him."
    Ah well... as I said, still has some way to go in the maturity department.

http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2014/s...-all-star-snub

Ah well... as I said, still has some way to go in the maturity department.
    I actually liked his reaction. He's young and hungry. He wants to be the best and get the recognition. To be the best, you have to want it. Also, no I don't think he was being immature and I'd be the first to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I actually liked his reaction. He's young and hungry. He wants to be the best and get the recognition. To be the best, you have to want it. Also, no I don't think he was being immature and I'd be the first to say it.
    I'd just like to see him more focused on humility, his role on the team, and winning... than getting triple doubles, personal stat chasing, and going to the press because he was "disrespected".

But that's just me. He doesn't lack self confidence, IMO.

I'd just like to see him more focused on humility, his role on the team, and winning... than getting triple doubles, personal stat chasing, and going to the press because he was "disrespected".

But that's just me. He doesn't lack self confidence, IMO.
    I find it humorous that you have an avatar with him wagging his tongue like a dog...yet want him to be humble and respectful. The man is the most exciting Pacer of all-time and that includes my man Reggie. He's magical. He's Lance-A-Lot!