Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: LeBron James apologizes for word

  1. #1
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,997

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default LeBron James apologizes for word

    Of course Lebron gets off easy when he used "retard" in an interview. When Roy said no homo last year in his postgame interview, he was bashed by the media and fans. This just shows how Lebron will always get off easy by everyone. He probably wont get fined

    http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...-word-retarded
    Smothered Chicken!

  2. #2

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Stop being a victim.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Sounds like you're a little stretched out about this....

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    It's not just that it was Lebron instead of Roy that makes people go "meh". I think it's wrong and I cringe equally whenever I hear someone use either derogatory term but in general people care less about the feelings of people with mental/developmental disorders than they do about homosexuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    I don't mean to be a jerk here and understand that using the word "retarded" is not exactly the nicest thing to do, but when you're in your 20s right now it was a word that was used constantly around you by your peers growing up. It's really hard to take it out of your vernacular. I know that doesn't necessarily make it "right", but I do feel like the fact we make athletes apologize for stuff that a lot of people use on a daily basis is a silly double standard.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,804

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be a jerk here and understand that using the word "retarded" is not exactly the nicest thing to do, but when you're in your 20s right now it was a word that was used constantly around you by your peers growing up. It's really hard to take it out of your vernacular. I know that doesn't necessarily make it "right", but I do feel like the fact we make athletes apologize for stuff that a lot of people use on a daily basis is a silly double standard.
    Just because a lot of people use a word every day doesn't somehow make it right. One of the ways to fight it is to get public figures to stop using it and to admit it's wrong when they do it.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because a lot of people use a word every day doesn't somehow make it right. One of the ways to fight it is to get public figures to stop using it and to admit it's wrong when they do it.
    I'm just saying unless you're going to chastise every person you meet for saying it, it is a double standard.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just saying unless you're going to chastise every person you meet for saying it, it is a double standard.
    You're right and I do. Each one, teach one.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Starting to wake up.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,390
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Sometimes it's easy to forget that there are many who consider
    "retarded" to be a derogatory slur, even if no harm or insult was
    intended.



    Gotta watch what you say, especially being so in the public eye
    and setting an example for your young fans.

  19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,997

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be a jerk here and understand that using the word "retarded" is not exactly the nicest thing to do, but when you're in your 20s right now it was a word that was used constantly around you by your peers growing up. It's really hard to take it out of your vernacular. I know that doesn't necessarily make it "right", but I do feel like the fact we make athletes apologize for stuff that a lot of people use on a daily basis is a silly double standard.
    I understand that but still it's not something that a star athlete should say and it's just surprising people aren't making a bigger deal out of this
    Smothered Chicken!

  21. #12

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be a jerk here and understand that using the word "retarded" is not exactly the nicest thing to do, but when you're in your 20s right now it was a word that was used constantly around you by your peers growing up. It's really hard to take it out of your vernacular. I know that doesn't necessarily make it "right", but I do feel like the fact we make athletes apologize for stuff that a lot of people use on a daily basis is a silly double standard.
    I completely agree. Almost anyone LeBron's age uses that word liberally. I grew up in a family where one of our family catch phrases seemed to be "are you retarded?" Fully realize, of course, that there are better words to use now. But it really is part of the vernacular.

  22. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IN
    Posts
    547
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Really? This is what we are talking about? How retarded.

    Obviously the NBA is against the use of the word retard. Remember the Black Eyed Peas song that was used in the Finals..."Let's get it started"...originally it was "Let's get retarded"


    @Pacers24Colts12

  23. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,202

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just saying unless you're going to chastise every person you meet for saying it, it is a double standard.
    Which is the exact point of the OP. He's showing a crystal clear example of Roy being held to a certain standard and asking if LeBron is going to be held to the same one.

    I really don't care about what Roy said, nor LeBron, but I care about how each is treated by the NBA.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  24. #15
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    The people who keep using the word in this thread to mock the whole situation just don't get it.
    @qandrews9428

  25. #16
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is the exact point of the OP. He's showing a crystal clear example of Roy being held to a certain standard and asking if LeBron is going to be held to the same one.

    I really don't care about what Roy said, nor LeBron, but I care about how each is treated by the NBA.
    We're talking about King Flop that has never been fined for the rule for flopping. I just don't think what you are seeking is going to happen because the wealthy has to protect their interest.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  26. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    I'm all for people being as nice and as respectful as possible. What I'm not all for is people using what amounts to censorship tactics and intolerance to control another person's thoughts, beliefs, or words. For example, those intolerant people who demanded the Duck Dynasty guy be fired for merely holding a different view of morality than they do. It's sickening, and it's a frightening downward slope for society.

  27. #18
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,005

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right and I do. Each one, teach one.
    Trust me I'm not trying to be flippant about the overall use of the term, I'm just saying it should be what you do if you're truly going to be against it. Make everyone apologize, not just an athlete.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  29. #19

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    I admit I expected more backlash but this happened during SB week so it doesn't register right now and well I have another unPC theory about it but I digress.

  30. #20
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're talking about King Flop that has never been fined for the rule for flopping.
    …but he has been fined. Does anyone have a video of him saying this? I don't understand fully without knowing what all went down.
    DG for 3

  31. #21
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    I'm still waiting for Bill Gates to apologize for Word.

  32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  33. #22

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Hasn't Lebron done this before?

    EDIT: Yep he has

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trueho...ory?id=6517744

    BOSTON -- LeBron James opened his postgame comments Monday by saying he's sorry for using the word "retarded" in a previous news conference.

    "I want to apologize for using the 'R' word after Game 3," James said after the Heat's Game 4 overtime victory against the Boston Celtics. "If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize."

    The Miami Heat star muttered the word after Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals as he and Dwyane Wade listened to a question about Wade's takedown of Boston guard Rajon Rondo.

    James had his hand covering his mouth when he said, "That's retarded," as a reporter asked Wade whether the play that dislocated Rondo's elbow was dirty.

    Earlier Monday, James was asked to clarify his use of the characterization, but declined.

    "I didn't understand the question," James said. "It is definitely blown out of proportion. I don't think Dwyane is a dirty player. It's the same as ... I don't think that is a great question. I think that's a stupid question. I don't know why someone would even ask that question."
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    …but he has been fined. Does anyone have a video of him saying this? I don't understand fully without knowing what all went down.
    I didn't realize he had been fined. All the fine list I have looked at didn't show his name. I did see Wade on there last year tho.

    I don't think there is a vid, just reporter Q&A before game. Typical dumb question from a reporter is all.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  36. #24
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,384

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    I have two mentally disabled children. Using the word retarded is a great deal different than using "retard". As for the word retarded, in my era it was not derogatory and afaic if people don't mean it that way...I don't care. But nobody should be using the word "retard".

    Edit: I just listened to the video and it was immature but hardly offensive. People need to grow some skin.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 01-30-2014 at 08:28 PM.

  37. #25
    Member pacers27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NWI
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LeBron James apologizes for word

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be a jerk here and understand that using the word "retarded" is not exactly the nicest thing to do, but when you're in your 20s right now it was a word that was used constantly around you by your peers growing up. It's really hard to take it out of your vernacular. I know that doesn't necessarily make it "right", but I do feel like the fact we make athletes apologize for stuff that a lot of people use on a daily basis is a silly double standard.
    You could also say the same thing about derogatory terms for gay people.
    PG24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •