Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawks/Pistons game has been postponed

Default Hawks/Pistons game has been postponed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hawks/Pistons game has been postponed

Looks like ATL has been pretty crippled by this storm.

The south is terrible at handling weather. It's embarrassing that 2 and a half inches can cripple a city like that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Georgia is spending like $2 billion on new stadiums for the Braves and Falcons but they can't afford a bag of salt.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I was surprised the hear Atlanta doesn't have a mass transit system they have a lil train that leads people from one Concourse to another at the Jackson/Hartfield airport. Imagine if they had the SB this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was surprised the hear Atlanta doesn't have a mass transit system they have a lil train that leads people from one Concourse to another at the Jackson/Hartfield airport. Imagine if they had the SB this year...

Atlanta has one of the largest rapid transit systems in the United States: MARTA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...nsit_Authority

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks for correcting me someone told me otherwise and I thought that didn't sound right.

However they knew about this for days and couldn't prepare for it?

Its not as if this came out of nowhere. Even with Indy running low on salt they are willing to go to places to get more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Thanks for correcting me someone told me otherwise and I thought that didn't sound right.

However they knew about this for days and couldn't prepare for it?

Its not as if this came out of nowhere. Even with Indy running low on salt they are willing to go to places to get more of it.
    Didn't Atlanta get a lot of ice though? It's hard to prepare for ice. Even prepared Indy was shut down by ice a few years back.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    The south is terrible at handling weather. It's embarrassing that 2 and a half inches can cripple a city like that.
    Georgia is spending like $2 billion on new stadiums for the Braves and Falcons but they can't afford a bag of salt.
    I don't know why, but

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

You think Michigan, Green Bay, Canada amongst others lol at Indy for shutting down government because of cold weather...hmmm.

It's about what isn't the norm. People just aren't prepared for such a different weather forecast.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Context, context, context. Indy is designed to handle snow, and a lot of AM commutes have still been totally screwed up this year. Canada laughs at Indy for shutting down for cold.

But if you live somewhere where people just wouldn't have the common awareness of things we've adapted into normalcy—driving on black ice, getting out of a skid, just basically having sufficient equipment to treat roads and sidewalks—then snow totals etc. are apples & oranges comparisons, because it's more about something people mentally and physically aren't prepared for.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

People in LA panic whenever it rains lol
    David "And One" West

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Didn't Atlanta get a lot of ice though? It's hard to prepare for ice. Even prepared Indy was shut down by ice a few years back.
    Yes but they had an ice storm three years ago around this time if that didn't give them a "what if" scenario I don't know what would've.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Added to the abnormal weather is the design of the roads and city itself. Rolling hills with sharp curves and buildings built within that adds to a recipe for disaster when the outside the norm hits.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to special ed For This Useful Post:

I live in Birmingham, AL and some of the videos are crazy. The interstates are full of empty cars where people just walked home. None of the forecasts predicted more than a light dusting so people didn't get out of school/ work till noon yesterday but it was too late by then. Many of my friends are at hotels because they couldn't make it home. There is no way a game could be played today due to how gridlocked the southeast is right now.

Ice is a different beast than snow all together. Ice shutting down even the coldest places is completely understandable, let alone a place that doesn't get either.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Looks like ATL has been pretty crippled by this storm.
    Yep.

Source: me, stuck in apartment

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Context, context, context. Indy is designed to handle snow, and a lot of AM commutes have still been totally screwed up this year. Canada laughs at Indy for shutting down for cold.

But if you live somewhere where people just wouldn't have the common awareness of things we've adapted into normalcy—driving on black ice, getting out of a skid, just basically having sufficient equipment to treat roads and sidewalks—then snow totals etc. are apples & oranges comparisons, because it's more about something people mentally and physically aren't prepared for.
    Exactly. I can tell you one thing. I'm 23 years old and I have only seen snow in Athens once or twice. And I'm talking about really light snow as well. Still, the schools were shut down, no cars were moving and everyone had come outside to play the snow. It's just something that we rarely see over here especially those of us that live in the Attica Basin. On the other hand, we're pretty used to temperatures over 95 Fahrenheit and we hold the record for the highest temperature ever recorded in Europe at 118.4 °F.

We have no problem battling an intense heat wave but we struggle with heavy rainfall and consider snowfall something extremely rare and unique.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    People in LA panic whenever it rains lol
    Don't even get me started...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Being from Indiana and having driven in Atlanta for 25 years before coming back, here are the differences:

1) The traffic sucks when the weather is perfect A drive that takes me 25 minutes during rush hour (rush minute?) in Indy would take me between 45 minutes and an hour in Atlanta. It would take more than 25 minutes at 2 am.

2) Indiana is flat Driving in Atlanta on a quarter inch of ice (or on packed-down snow that ends up like a quarter inch of ice) is not like driving on Washington street or 38th street. It would be like driving up and down the ramp of the Virginia Street Garage. Over and over again. Or, more likely, sliding backwards and slamming into someone. Remember, 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop.

3) You want to spend HOW much for equipment that will sit idle for 6 years out of every 7, and 360 days of that year? It only does this in Atlanta every decade or so. It's cheaper just to shut down the city for a couple of days.

4) MARTA doesn't go anywhere that commuters drive from We won't go into the reasons, but the rapid transit system pretty much ends right at the edge of the major suburban areas. Kind of useless unless you are an urban homesteader.

Think of 2" of snow in Atlanta as if it were a foot of snow here. What happened here then?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I think the same thing when I see the amount of snow it takes to cripple Indy. I've had as much as 18 feet of snow in a year where I live. They're calling for up to 30 inches tonight. With that amount we won't call off school and I won't miss work, in fact I never have. It's all in what you're prepared for and what infrastructure is in place to handle it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

It still probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the city to invest in some steel plows and a couple of salt trucks. Those things would last twenty years.

You can't plow ice. I also couldn't imagine finding a spot to store all that salt, just in case you needed it in a decade.

Ice shut down the entire state of Indiana for, what, a whole week back in 2006?
    Last edited by Since86; 01-29-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I think the same thing when I see the amount of snow it takes to cripple Indy. I've had as much as 18 feet of snow in a year where I live. They're calling for up to 30 inches tonight. With that amount we won't call off school and I won't miss work, in fact I never have. It's all in what you're prepared for and what infrastructure is in place to handle it.
    I agree with you. Indianapolis is terrible at handling snow. The whole storm earlier should have been wrapped up in a day, not a week.

I agree with you. Indianapolis is terrible at handling snow. The whole storm earlier should have been wrapped up in a day, not a week.

But didn't the ridiculous sub-arctic temperatures get so low that they effectively rendered the salt almost useless? I seem to remember hearing something like that.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: