Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Lakers Postgame Thread

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Lakers Postgame Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PAUL GEORGE IS AWFUL LETS TRADE HIM HES WORTHLESS MIGHT AS WELL TRADE HIM FOR A BAG OF POTATOES AND ADAM MORRISON!
    How insulting for the potatoes.

I loved the play where (I think) PG inbounded to CJ who passed to David, back to PG and he threw it behind the back to someone for the layup.

Mood

Sports Logo

A nice win to close out the road swing. Only 4 turnovers really stands out.
    D.West with an especially good line, and Lance with a nice game too other
    than going only 3-9 from the stripe.
    Am quite happy with 3-2 on this road trip...WTG Pacers!
    "Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    The PG hate is about to start in 3..2..1..
    Dude, stop. Nobody hates PG. Nobody's claiming that he shot well last night, but everybody's glad he's a Pacer and nobody wants to get rid of him.

Stop making everything extreme. That's what 13-year-olds do.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    In other words, I don't even really take pleasure from beating them at this point, because they're just so bad.
    Speak for yourself. Any win over the Lakers is a good win.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I stayed up to watch the game, and I'm glad I did. Solid night. PG had a couple amazing shots, and there were several times where the Pacers ball movement was really a thing of beauty.

I don't really understand what's up with our FT shooting. It seems like that's a place we should really shine. But PG missed 4, Lance missed 6, and Roy/Ian both missed 1. Those would have put the game out of reach early.

In other news, both the Spurs and the Blazers lost last night. If only the Heat had lost as well, it would have been a perfect night.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

very good road win. Could have played better, but the defense was better than what it was the past few games
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Lance and PG24 are the only players you really can't criticize on this board. West is a distant fourth.
    Lol why green? You're pretty spot on
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 01-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

3-2 on the west coast road trip isn't the best, but hey we'll take it. It'll be nice to get back into BLF for a few games. First up? Some revenge on the Suns!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Didn't see the whole game (missed most of the 4th), but George Hill's aggressive play on offense was well appreciated. He got to the cup quite often. Looks like he made up for a sub-par shooting night from PG, DG, and Luis.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

This road trip couldn't have ended soon enough! Between the Pacers' defense (which finally tightened up last night), their poor shooting, bench play, general fatigue and what I thought was some questionable officiating on the road as a whole (given I'm not one to really ever lean on officiating one way or the other), I really hated watching the Pacers for most of this stretch, if I'm being quite honest.

A few quick thoughts from me...

1. Defensive communication can be fixed, and was an issue on the road, but over-helping is becoming a nasty tendency. How many hot starts did the opponent get off to because Lance or Paul George over-helped on someone penetrating, leaving a shooter wide open? Let Hibbert do his job. Stay at home on your man. It was frustrating to see this issue recur for all 5 games.

2. I know it's sacrilege to criticize George Hill after he was perhaps the most consistent player on that road trip, but the above item starts with him allowing penetration with a favorable angle to the basket. I thought Hill's perimeter D was inconsistent this road trip. When he allowed guys to drive, he often gave them an angle right to the basket, versus forcing them to take a more rounded path and buy time for bigs to slide over and do their thing at the rim.

3. Roy Hibbert looked fairly listless for this road trip. Tired? Foul trouble definitely. Like to see him re-energized a bit.

4. Back to Lakers game: there were some eye-rolling moments, and the Pacers definitely let the Lakers hang around despite a vast talent differential—let's be honest, the Pacers should have won by 20+ if PG24 hits even close to his average—but I was hugely impressed with the hustle, the work on the boards, and how clean Indiana was with the ball. Goes to show, if they're clean with the balls and keep turnovers to single digits, they'll win almost every game.

5. But also some negatives. CJ Watson had a nice steal last night, but was mostly horrendous on both ends of the court for this road trip. I can live with his shot being inconsistent, but he seems to let that affect his defense as well, and he just can't. Luis Scola has a road trip to forget, and I'm surprised his drought has last THIS long, but hopefully lesson learned from Scola is that footspeed isn't your strong suit, so sometimes giving someone else the shot is better than botching it at the rim and setting up a 5-on-4.

6. And we should talk about Granger separately. I get what Vogel is doing with Granger. This is a long-term play/gamble. This is also why there is no way in hell the Pacers will trade Granger at the deadline short of an amazing deal, IMO, because there is a lot of in-season investment here. Vogel knows Granger is still, for lack of a better word, short on a few things (as Quinn pointed out, lifting through contact is one of them), and is trying to give him the regular season to figure it out in time to be an impact bench player in the postseason.

The gamble is this: is this the best Granger can do at this stage in his career, can he become a consistent impact player by the time the playoffs roll around, and if not, is it worth him taking considerable minutes from other options (Cope?) in the process?

My take: you know what you're going to get with a guy like Cope. I'm not sure you know the answer to Granger yet. A guy like Cope won't be that deciding factor that gets you past the Heat, probably. A guy like Granger might be. So it's a calculated, smart risk, although it is still a risk. I think, mostly, Granger is at a crossroads in his career, and needs to make a decision: how do I impact this game off the bench? Frankly, his offense has been sputtering, and his defense has been inconsistent. He's trying to make the offense happen, and that just might come together at some point. But quite honestly, I don't see the same intensity, consistency or effort on defense that we're used to. If we're honest: he can be lazy on defense this season.

Granger has to make that decision and figure out how he's going to impact every game he comes into. He can impact games on defense! I think he's so concerned with his shot right now, he's got tunnel vision as far as his role goes, and for him to make a difference when it matters, he's going to have to see the bigger picture of what the team needs from him each night.

Just my take.

7. Last night was a great reminder that, if Ian finds hands and can play strong, he's a damn fine backup option. It helps that I could body the Lakers' bigs, of course. But credit where credit is due: Ian played strong last night, and made some tough catches too. More of that, please!

8. Someone will eventually need to explain what the hell happened to Orlando Johnson. I got a lot of flak for suggesting he had regressed considerably by his look at the beginning of the season, but his play in these blowouts has done nothing to suggest that's not the case. He's largely out of the rotation save mop-up blowout duty, but from what we have seen this year, he looks like a guy who belongs in the D-League.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

The highlight of this road trip was David West. His offense has been super dialed in over the last five games. He has looked like 12-13 West out there. He's had dialed in post moves and his fadeaway jumpers have been falling. I'm really glad to see his offense play well.

I know that the Lakers are a bad team, but this is the most important Lance stat of the night: ZERO TOURNOVERS. The Lakers were simply no match for his aggression and skill level. The idea that the Pacers could just plug in some Joe Schmo and get similar results just doesn't fly, IMHO. Another huge rebounding night too. I loved the series where he dunked it, then on the Lakers possession we came up with the ball and he led PG with a perfect QB pass which led to a dunk. That was all Lance in a nutshell. Glad he put on a show with Reggie sitting court side.

Hill's aggression was key to this game. Roy had a solid double double. PG was obviously forcing things at home.

There was great ball movement between Lance-Granger-Scola. There's one play that sticks out in my mind where Granger hit Scola for a beautiful close bucket. All of those guys were making extra passes when they were in together. CJ also hit some big shots off of the bench.

Mahinmi was very solid off of the bench. Loved the pass to Granger and then that offensive rebound where he put it back up and scored. Good D too.

All in all, 3-2 isn't a bad road trip. 4-1 would have been great, but 3-2 was expected. In hindsight, the Denver loss was virtually guaranteed since we had just played OT the night before and had to deal with the altitude. The Phoenix loss was ugly, but they were just red hot and you have to tip your hat to them. Now we have 7 of our next 9 games at home and should really do some damage. Over the next couple of weeks, we have the opportunity to get revenge against Phoenix, Portland, and Denver.

The Lakers are indeed awful. What Kobe does with his career and body is his business, but if that were me I'd strongly consider sitting out the rest of this season and just focus on getting 100% for next year. That team's season is finished.

I still love watching Gasol though. It's a shame that the end of his prime is being wasted on such a bad team. He still has beautiful post moves and can knock down those long J's after pick and pops. Pau Gasol should have his jersey hanging from their rafters someday.

That Marshall kid is definitely legit.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-29-2014 at 08:46 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

We have 8 until the allstar break, with only two on the road. At Atlanta at Orlando.

But what worries me is we don't have more than 1 day off between games auntil after the next four. Hope we can power through those. But coming home from road trip and only having 1 day between games is tough. I think our motivation against the Suns will be vvery high, but I just hope our legs aren't shot

Any road win is a good win. Nice to see the bench have a good game.
    I hope we aren't hung over from the road trip so our guys can put a beat down on the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Didn't see the whole game (missed most of the 4th), but George Hill's aggressive play on offense was well appreciated. He got to the cup quite often. Looks like he made up for a sub-par shooting night from PG, DG, and Luis.
    Good call. I thought the same and meant to mention it, but forgot.

He doesn't have to score a lot of points to be effective, but the aggressiveness helps.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Luis Scola's missing shot is starting to worry me. 38.8% fron the field for the month of January, while taking pretty good, open shots for the most part. And after shooting 53.7% for the month of December.

Only 4 team turnovers is amazing though
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Won the west coast series. Played a lot of skilled, athletic, energized youths on the road and done pretty well. I'll take it.

Best win our home game againstthe Suns or I might get trade happy again...lol. But seriously, Pacers better put a hurtin on them boys.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Luis Scola's missing shot is starting to worry me. 38.8% fron the field for the month of January, while taking pretty good, open shots for the most part. And after shooting 53.7% for the month of December.

Only 4 team turnovers is amazing though

Most of his misses seem to be just a tiny bit off, so you have to think that they will start falling again. I'd be worried if he was downright bricking shots, but that's not really the case.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I stayed up to watch the game, and I'm glad I did. Solid night. PG had a couple amazing shots, and there were several times where the Pacers ball movement was really a thing of beauty.

I don't really understand what's up with our FT shooting. It seems like that's a place we should really shine. But PG missed 4, Lance missed 6, and Roy/Ian both missed 1. Those would have put the game out of reach early.

In other news, both the Spurs and the Blazers lost last night. If only the Heat had lost as well, it would have been a perfect night.

The Thunder play the Heat soon I believe. The Heat need to lay a loss in the Thunders lost column.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I'm not concerned with Scola, but in the deep back of my mind, I am a little concerned of our max guy PG throwing up bricks every other game (sorta speak).

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Good call. I thought the same and meant to mention it, but forgot.

He doesn't have to score a lot of points to be effective, but the aggressiveness helps.
    If we can get that effort - not necessarily the results, but the effort - from Hill consistently, we'll be in good shape come June.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    The Heat need to lay a loss in the Thunders lost column.
    That's a tough one. We're up 1 game to the Thunder vs 3 to the Heat, but the Heat should have a much easier remaining schedule. The Thunder are more likely to pick up some losses from other teams in their division.

I think I'm still hoping for a Heat loss.

Enjoy your time at PD!

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

It was ugly but they won, time to move on. I am just thrilled that the 10:30 game starts are over! That was the last pacific time zone night game for the rest of the season. The only WC road games we have left are Memphis, Minnesota, Houston & Dallas that's it!

Think about this, the Pacers have the best record in the league (although its damn close) and we have already finished playing all but two of the west playoff teams in their buildings. And the two we have yet to play Dallas and Houston do not scare me much. Sure they could drop one or both of those games but its not like the Pacers will face them in the finals.

OKC still has road games against Miami, Indiana, Houston, Dallas, Portland, LAC & Phoenix (I know not playoff but can score)

The Spurs have back to back road games against LAC and Portland with more road games against Golden State, OKC, Houston, Dallas and that team in Indiana.

The Blazers still have road games against Indiana, Clippers, (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Memphis, New Orleans in 8 days all on the road) Then an eastern conference road trip that includes Miami, Chicago and Atlanta.

The Heat have yet to play the Clippers, Suns, Golden State, Oklahoma City, Houston, San Antonio on the road yet. Plus games against Indiana and Chicago.

The Pacers are in a very good position, they are going to get rejuvenated over the all star break, this is a very good year to be a Pacer fan.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    2. I know it's sacrilege to criticize George Hill after he was perhaps the most consistent player on that road trip, but the above item starts with him allowing penetration with a favorable angle to the basket. I thought Hill's perimeter D was inconsistent this road trip. When he allowed guys to drive, he often gave them an angle right to the basket, versus forcing them to take a more rounded path and buy time for bigs to slide over and do their thing at the rim.
    Disagree. Everyone complains about George Hill letting his guy get by, but I rarely see him get beat by his man in 1 on 1 (unless its one of the super speedy PGs of the league). You guys aren't realizing that when his man gets into the lane, its off the Pick and Roll, which is where team defense comes into play. Our defense is designed to so that the guy getting screened goes over the screen to stop the 3 and trail the ball handler as he is funneled into the lane into Roy, who drops back to protect the rim. It looks like GH is getting beat, but that is whats supposed to happen. Now where the defense has broke down this trip has been in the off-ball rotations and digs to delay Roy's man (the screener) and give him a chance to recover. Often times the off-ball players were digging too hard and then didn't recover in time to run their man off the 3pt line.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Any road win is a good win. Nice to see the bench have a good game.
    I hope we aren't hung over from the road trip so our guys can put a beat down on the Suns.
    PLEASE let us destroy the Suns. Living in Phx, and going to that game, I've gotten nothing but crap then from everyone around here. I need some redemption!

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    The Thunder play the Heat soon I believe. The Heat need to lay a loss in the Thunders lost column.
    I'm much more concerned with having a better record than the Heat than the Thunder. At this point its almost a guarantee we will see the Heat in the EC Finals. The chances we see the Thunder aren't so sure. I'll be rooting for the Thunder.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Mood

Kind of an ugly game, but we seemed to be in control essentially the entire time. I'll take it.

It'd be nice to read a post game thread that wasn't 50+% about posters commenting on other posters. That **** is very old.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I don't mind the Denver loss, but I'm irritated losing to Phoenix. Can't lose to GG, Plumlee, and Marcus Morris
    David "And One" West

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post: