Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Peyton Manning's legacy if Denver wins SB XLVIII

Default Re: Peyton Manning's legacy if Denver wins SB XLVIII

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And as time goes on Brady is getting pushed back into the pack because the talking heads are pushing Belichick needs more credit for what the Patriots have done. Actually Manning and Brady having been taking the hits for awhile.
    Compared to Manning? I don't think so

That's what I don't agree with people say Brady is being criticized the same way Manning is they aren't judged the same I mean if Brady is the superior QB shouldn't he be judged higher than Manning? After all its about the body of work and longevity isn't it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Compared to Manning? I don't think so

That's what I don't agree with people say Brady is being criticized the same way Manning is they aren't judged the same I mean if Brady is the superior QB shouldn't he be judged higher than Manning? After all its about the body of work and longevity isn't it?
    The Pats lost two Super Bowls to the Giants by a combined 7 points. The Broncos just got beat 43-8, which might very well be the biggest embarrassment in Super Bowl history. That's why there is a difference in tone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Pats lost two Super Bowls to the Giants by a combined 7 points. The Broncos just got beat 43-8, which might very well be the biggest embarrassment in Super Bowl history. That's why there is a difference in tone.
    I guess we're going to conveniently forget that the Pats in the first SB were undefeated up until that game. They were favored to beat the Giants by 14 points. They only scored 14 points.

People seem to forget that this isn't even the worst Broncos SB loss. 55-10 vs the Niners was the worst but this just seems worse because its only been a few days removed and well the Broncos had a great offense(which people seem to think actually wins championships even though it doesn't)and were favored by 3 points.

But that's not the point nobody says every year that Brady has to win a ring to validate his legacy despite not winning an SB in nearly a decade and already having 3.

Before the narrative was Manning had to win a ring he has one then it became he has to win another. And if he had won another it would be he had to win another one after that.

They aren't judged the same I don't get how people say otherwise if Brady is better shouldn't he be the one with the higher expectations? He has more rings = Better QB.

Brady was never called a choking loser ...that never happened with Brady.
    Yes, it has happened quite often

see "Patriots vs. Jets: Who Should Take the Blame for New England's Epic Choke Job?"
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...epic-choke-job

Similar articles appeared in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. They were mostly absent this year, maybe owing to turnover in personnel, and were absent in 2005 as I recall, since 3 rings gives you a one year honeymoon, it seems.

I heard several sportscasters equating the Seattle D's domination of Denver to how the Giants D supposedly dominated the Patriots in 2007. Yep, pretty much the same, 43-8 and 17-14. Hardly different at all...
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Bleacherreport? It's asked a legitimate question. With Manning, there is no question, it's his fault.

This is what the article has to say about TB
    Tom Brady, the quarterback that has won three Super Bowls, looked frustrated on the field and didn't seem to have any answers for the Jets pass rush. Brady was sacked five times while only completing 29-of-45 passes. To say the offensive line will get a long look in the offseason probably is an understatement.

Most egregious, Brady threw an interception in his first series, his first pick in 340 pass attempts, and that seemed to immediately throw the entire Patriots offense out of rhythm. As good as the offense looked in the opening series, it never looked that smooth again until the game really no longer was in doubt.

Brady spent the rest of the game on the run, missing his receivers and generally not looking like "Tom Brady."
    That's really at the same level of the criticism that Manning gets? That's pretty tame.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

OK, he was tamely called a choking loser
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    OK, he was tamely called a choking loser
    Quote?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I guess we're going to conveniently forget that the Pats in the first SB were undefeated up until that game. They were favored to beat the Giants by 14 points. They only scored 14 points.

People seem to forget that this isn't even the worst Broncos SB loss. 55-10 vs the Niners was the worst but this just seems worse because its only been a few days removed and well the Broncos had a great offense(which people seem to think actually wins championships even though it doesn't)and were favored by 3 points.

But that's not the point nobody says every year that Brady has to win a ring to validate his legacy despite not winning an SB in nearly a decade and already having 3.

Before the narrative was Manning had to win a ring he has one then it became he has to win another. And if he had won another it would be he had to win another one after that.

They aren't judged the same I don't get how people say otherwise if Brady is better shouldn't he be the one with the higher expectations? He has more rings = Better QB.

In my earlier post, I addressed that first Pats-Giants Super Bowl. Given the historical success of the 2007 Pats offense, the 14 points were obviously disappointing. But football is a situational game and Brady did lead the Pats on an 80 yard touchdown drive with under 3 minutes left. It took the flukiest play in Super Bowl history for the Giants to pull it out on the next possession. All I'm saying is that had the Pats won that game, no one would have cared that they only score 14 points. But there is no doubt that the 14 points were disappointing for that offense.

Regardless, there is a huge difference between losing 17-14 and losing 43-8 and being down 36-0 at one point. They aren't even on the same stratosphere. The Pats loss to the Giants was a disappointment. The Broncos loss to the Seahawks was an epic embarrassment. Yes, that 55-10 Niners-Broncos one was an even worse discrepancy, but this one will forever be remembered as one of the worst.

No one was saying that Peyton had to win another ring to validate his legacy. His legacy has been set in stone for a while. In most people's eyes, he is a top five-ish quarterback who has won the most MVP's, won a championship, revolutionized the position, built up a Colts franchise from scratch, and then came back from a brutal injury to have the best statistical quarterbacking season in NFL history. Losing this game doesn't hurt that super impressive legacy. But winning the game would have substantially elevated his legacy and been a massive late career feather in his cap. That's what is key.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

check out the golfing buddies

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I wonder how many people would pick Manning as their QB for a hypothetical winner take all, life or death, game.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    PULL-EEASE.

They ask him why he hasn't won't $^#% since spygate and if all three of his rings should be ignored by everyone.

Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk ask hijm to admit that they were robbed (like the Rams offense and special teams were shut down by tapes of defensive signals... really?)

They call him a system quarterback and ask him why the Giants "dominated" him in two super bowls, as if domination somehow involved securing a win in the final seconds.

They ask him why he is 6-6 in playoff games since 2007, as if the 12-2 record before that should never be brought up.

Then he just smiles, credits his teammates, talks about how hard it is be match up with such gifted opponents, and says he loves playing football and feels thankful for the opportunity.

Then they label him an arrogant smug pretty boy who can't carry Peyton's jock.
    I must be watching the wrong sport shows, I've RARELY seen anybody talk about this in regards to Brady.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Though I understand the arguments to the contrary, it's a shame that nobody can simply appreciate Manning's greatness. He most likely has had more pressure on his shoulders than any other player to ever play the game. Especially in the latter half of his career.

Whether he's the "GOAT" or "just a top 5 QB" he's still revolutionized the entire QB position. He's still done (and is doing) things that nobody else has ever done. But we're led to believe the other things don't count nearly as much because he's lost two SB's. That's kind of a shame

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: