Thread: NBC to air Tony Dungy's interview with Jonathan Martin

Default NBC to air Tony Dungy's interview with Jonathan Martin

Weird I kind of forgotten all about this

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artin/related/

NBC to air Tony Dungy’s interview with Jonathan Martin

NBC will air part of Tony Dungy’s exclusive interview with Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin on Tuesday’s “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” at 6:30 p.m. Eastern and on Wednesday’s edition of “Today.”

The interview will air in full on a special episode of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Eastern.

Martin left the Dolphins in October amid allegations he was bullied by teammate Richie Incognito.

“He has a passion for playing football,” Dungy said of Martin on Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN.

However, Dungy added: “(He) was wounded by this whole experience, and I think that’s what will come across when people see this interview.”

Default Re: NBC to air Tony Dungy's interview with Jonathan Martin

Should be interesting and maybe we'll get a glimpse if Martin is worth pursuing.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I personally think the Colts should pass

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-teammates/

Jonathan Martin details harassment from Dolphins teammates

Jonathan Martin, the offensive lineman who left the Miami Dolphins after he was harassed by teammates, has detailed some of that harassment, which he says went far beyond the normal razzing that teammates give each other.

“There was persistent comments of a racial nature, aggressive sexual comments related to my sister and my mother,” Martin said in his interview with Tony Dungy. “I’ve spoken to my former teammates in other locker rooms across the NFL and I asked them, does this stuff go on? Is this normal rooking hazing? The consensus was, this is not normal.”

Martin says he wasn’t the only victim of bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room. And Martin also says Richie Incognito, the teammate who was suspended for his role in the bullying, was not the only bully on the team. But Martin does say that he believes he was picked on more than the rest of his teammates, for reasons he never understood.

“There were other people that got it, too,” Martin said. “I can’t say why I may have gotten more.”

Martin’s full interview with Dungy will air today at 6:30 p.m. ET on Pro Football Talk on NBCSN.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rove-him-away/

Martin never talked to Philbin about the issues that drove him away

In the interview with Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin that aired on NBCSN on Wednesday night, Tony Dungy asked Martin if he had talked to Dolphins coach Joe Philbin about the problems that eventually caused him to leave the club in October.

“I did not,” Martin said.

As Martin explained: “It was something I didn’t feel comfortable sharing because I want to be friends with my teammates. I worked hard to be friends with [offensive guard] Richie Incognito and others. I think it’s important that I build these friendships with your teammates. That was kind of my driving force.

“I turned the microscope back on myself. ‘What am I doing wrong to be treated like this? What makes me different?’ And I’m not different from any other football player.”

Martin is alleged to have been mistreated by teammates. After Martin’s departure, the club suspended Incognito for detrimental conduct, and the NFL launched an investigation about the Dolphins’ workplace conduct. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross indicated Tuesday that the findings of the investigation will be made public after the Super Bowl.

Incognito has said he got along well with Martin.

A little later in Wednesday’s interview, Dungy asked Martin to elaborate on why he didn’t reach out to Philbin.

Said Dungy: “If you were playing for me, and you had a problem, something was going on, and I was your head coach, I would want you to come to me and talk to me about it. You didn’t feel like you had that kind of relationship with Coach Philbin? . . . It’s hard for me to envision a guy who loves football not coming to his head coach and telling him about (this).”

“It’s the level of comfort,” Martin replied. “Like I said, I worked hard, for a year and a half, to be friends with these teammates, because I wanted to play football. That’s what mattered, is to play on the field. I put this out of my mind as though this doesn’t matter, right? This isn’t as important as what’s happening on the field.

“But then, just the (persistent) nature wears you on the point where it’s like if this isn’t changing, then I have to remove myself for my own health.”

Dungy’s line of questioning is something Martin could very well face if he plays again in the NFL. It’s logical to think a coaching staff will want to talk to Martin about the events that led up to his departure, as well as how he handled the situation.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'd sign him in a heartbeat if he played the interior. He's solid, young, blocked for Luck, and after all this stuff is gonna be cheap. Don't know how conceivable it is for him to move to guard, worth a shot at least.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a statement to Fox News, Incognito's attorney Mark Schamel of the law firm of Womble, Carlyle, Sandridge & Rice, said: "The coarse and unacceptable comments and text messages that were sent to Jonathan Martin were of the same poor taste as those sent by him. All of these communications were provided to Ted Wells and the NFL investigation. What they show is banter between friends, not bullying."

Schamel added: "Jonathan Martin sent text messages to Richie Incognito which included threats to send someone over to Richie Incognito's home with a 'tranquilizer gun and sandpaper condoms' to homosexually rape him. Jonathan Martin sent another that said he would 'kill (Richies’s) whole family.' There was another where Jonathan Martin indicated he would ejaculate in Richie’s face."

Martin’s attorney, David Cornwell, declined both email and telephone requests for comment. Martin’s spokeswoman, Ann Marchant, told Fox News that Wells and the NFL investigators have "the entire series of texts and it's more accurate to look at all of them," adding that to the extent Martin had made crude comments to Incognito, it was in the context of trying "to be a friend to Richie and to fit in" with the team.

She added that Incognito sent emails yet to be made public where Incognito "talks about gang raping (Martin's) mother and sister. They are very vile."
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/0...g-allegations/
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Right after this all broke, Martin texted Incognito and said that he didn't blame Ritchie or the other Dolphins, that he just can't deal with the NFL and locker rooms anymore.

Incognito is no Saint, in fact he's probably a pig, but it is Martin who is the real nutjob here. He looked for and found a convenient excuse to stop playing football and still get paid.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...onathan-martin

Incognito attorney reveals texts

More Martin, Incognito Texts Revealed

The attorney for Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito has released text messages exchanged between his client and Jonathan Martin that show the players insulting each other and talking as though they were friends.

Mark Schamel provided CBS4 News in Miami 40 pages of texts between Incognito and Martin, which date to December 2012.

More From ESPN.com
    The Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito saga has no winners. James Walker offers a few of his thoughts on the situation in Miami. Blog

Revelation of the texts comes one day after Schamel said Martin's comments and texts to Incognito were just as vulgar as the ones Incognito sent to Martin.

Schamel's recent actions come with the league expected to release its report on the Dolphins bullying case at some point after the Super Bowl. The NFLPA, also nearing the end of its own probe, said Thursday that Martin refused to speak with attorney Richard Smith, who the union retained in November to interview witnesses and examine team management's role in Martin leaving the Dolphins.

One of the graphic exchanges was dated Dec. 17, 2012. At one point during the conversation, Martin told Incognito, "Ima egg your house & light a bag of s--- on fire then ring your doorbell."

The teammates continued their banter, with Incognito responding, "I'm going to shoot you and claim self defense. I'm white ur black I'll walk."

Martin answered, saying, "I'm gonna give McDonald bath salts and lock him in your house with a tranquilizer gun & a box of sand paper condoms." Incognito replied to Martin, "Hahaha."

[+] EnlargeRichie Incognito
    AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee
    Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin talked as though they were friends in text messages released by Incognito's attorney.
    According to the report, Incognito and Martin returned to texting the next day as if nothing happened. Other texts released by Schamel to CBS4 showed similar exchanges between Incognito and Martin over the next several months, some that contained "threats" and talk about women, among other things.

Another exchange between the two came Oct. 23, when Incognito texted "F--- you!!!" to Martin, who responded with a photo that read, "I will murder your whole f---ing family."

After Martin left the Dolphins in October, there were other exchanges including when Incognito repeatedly asked Martin to call him and asked him if he was OK. Martin responded Nov. 1, saying, "Wassup man? The world's gone crazy lol I'm good tho congrats on the win."

Incognito replied, "Thanks dude. It's unbelievable all the attention this is getting. All that's important is that you feel better and know we miss u dude."

Martin then said in a text on the same day, "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all its just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little … Btw … never check yourself into a mental hospital."

Also on Nov. 2, Incognito called Martin "buddy," then pleaded for his help because he was getting "killed" in the media over the emerging scandal. However, Schamel said Martin never responded.

I'd be shocked if Martin ever plays again. What lockerroom would be willing to accept a guy that couldn't handle the game, then blamed his teammates?

Incognito probably has a defamation lawsuit. The text saying he (Martin) doesn't blame "you guys" when his allegations were painting Incognito as a racist homophobe.

How did this guy get through Stanford? You cannot be dumb enough to send a text message that torpedoes your entire claim, but then it's hard to see how anyone can be stupid enough to come up with such allegations when your text messages shows you're bantering back and forth.

What a moron.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I know that the Colts seem interested in adding anyone who handed Luck a drink of Gatorade at Stanford, but Martin is one Stanford teammate that I hope they avoid.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am truly confused about this story, but I have been amazed at all the people who have given Incognito a pass.

Dude has always been a jackass, yet some how now there is a sect of people who want to ignore that fact.

FWIW, just a confusing story. I feel like we are missing facts

Richie doesn't get a pass, but it's pretty clear IMHO that Martin was his friend and they were just behaving like 11 year old boys.

To outside people it looks like bullying, but it's really not. It's like the two NFL teammates (I forget the team) who played with each other at EMU and call each other by racial slurs, one player being white and the other black. That's just their relationship. Instead of pushing the bounds of what's racially acceptable, they're just pushing the bounds of obscenity. It's Daniel Tosh taken up a notch.

Rightly or wrongly, it's just engrained in the football culture.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-01-2014 at 05:01 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Richie doesn't get a pass, but it's pretty clear IMHO that Martin was his friend and they were just behaving like 11 year old boys.

To outside people it looks like bullying, but it's really not. It's like the two NFL teammates (I forget the team) who played with each other at EMU and call each other by racial slurs, one player being white and the other black. That's just their relationship. Instead of pushing the bounds of what's racially acceptable, they're just pushing the bounds of obscenity. It's Daniel Tosh taken up a notch.

Rightly or wrongly, it's just engrained in the football culture.
    I never disputed any of that.

I just find it odd how many people (not necessarily in this thread) have given Richie a pass, especially considering his past.

Incognito is a d-bag I'm not giving him a pass at all and I side-eye his black teammates that have no issue with him using the n-word but that's another post entirely.

Martin let people think he was being bullied when clearly he wasn't he's just mentally weak, he never even told anyone about this and let the Dolphins, and the rest of his team twist in the wind about being bullies to the point where the media and the NFL got involved to investigate this. Probably wrecked their season when you think about it considering they were in the hunt till the end of the season. That's what people have a problem with he did this to get $$$ not because he was bullied.

Makes those who are actually bullied or harrassed look bad here.

Snitches aren't well liked in the NFL fair or not he'll be hard pressed to find an NFL gig if this is what will happen. I mean if I were a teammate I'd be real hesitant.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ming-thursday/

Report: Martin/Incognito investigation report likely coming Thursday

After a period of silence, there was a flurry of activity on the Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito front last week.

Martin did an interview with Tony Dungy, Incognito responded with the help of a PR firm and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross let slip that he didn’t expect either player to play for the Dolphins in 2014. Ross also said he had an idea about what was in the forthcoming report from NFL investigator Ted Wells on the allegations of harassment leveled by Martin.

According to a report from Mike Silver of NFL Network, a few more people will have an idea about what’s in there in a few days. Silver reports that Wells’ report is likely to be delivered on Thursday.

With Ross saying neither player — Incognito is a free agent while Martin remains under contract — is going to be back, the Dolphins’ response to whatever is in the final report seems clear. There’s been some speculation that there could be fallout for offensive line coach Jim Turner, but the team hasn’t said anything other than that he remains on the staff.

The Big Lead had gotten the goods, and I’ve taken a look through them all. The major takeaways appear below:

1. Incognito accuses Martin of being gay in multiple text messages. It’s difficult to tell whether Incognito is joking, or whether he believed Martin to be gay. Martin’s actual or perceived sexuality has been a lingering (but largely unspoken) explanation for the decision of Dolphins players to allegedly single him out. After reading all of the message, it appears Incognito is joking about Martin being gay.

2. Martin declines to pay $6,000 for a trip to Las Vegas, but Incognito seems to be fine with it. “It’s all good,” Incognito says. “Let me know if u need anything.”

3. At the time left tackle Jake Long chose to sign with the Rams over the Dolphins, Incognito texted that former G.M. Jeff Ireland “didn’t make him feel welcome.” (That’s unrelated to the Martin-Incognito case, but it helps explain why Long took a lesser deal to go to St. Louis.)

4. At one point, Incognito asks Martin if Martin went to Mike Pouncey’s house after going to a bar. Martin says he didn’t, saying “No drugs for me rest of season.” That comment could attract the NFL’s attention on the question of whether multiple members of the team had engaged in illegal use of drugs, recreational or otherwise.

5. The messages reflect a genuine friendship, even after Martin left the team in late October. Incognito repeatedly reached out to Martin following his exit, culminating with this message on October 29, the day after Martin exited the locker room: “What’s up dude Glad to hear Ur ok I’m here if you ever need to talk. I’ve been through enough sh-t myself to understand.”

Several hours later, Incognito texts, “I miss Ur stinky armpits.” On November 1 (three days later), Incognito texts, “How u doing buddy? Feeling better?? I miss us.”

Martin promptly responds, saying: “Wassup man? The worlds gone crazy lol I’m good tho congrats on the win.”

Says Incognito in response, two minutes later: “Thanks dude It’s unbelievable all the attention this is getting. All that’s important is that you feel better and know we miss u dude.”

Says Martin, that same minute: “Yeah I’m good man. It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little. Btw… Never check yourself into a mental hospital.”

Incognito responds two minutes later, acknowledging that he once indeed checked himself in to a mental-health facility: “I hear ya It’s a lot to take in I’ve checked myself in before I had to threaten to beat everyone up for them to let me out. Not fun.”

The back-and-forth continues a bit longer. Several hours later, Incognito sends to Martin a link to the ESPN story that places blame on Incognito for Martin’s situation. “What’s up with this?” Incognito asks.

“I got nothing to do with it man I haven’t said anything to anyone,” Martin says.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nally-surface/

"It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little."

It's hard not to hold Martin to that being the truth.

He was tired of the football locker room in general and being teased. Incogito was a convenient person to blame.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Which pretty much is a red flag on Jonathan Martin at this point for any team considering picking him up

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Miami Dolphins lift suspension on Richie Incognito but he’s still unlikely to return

Richie Incognito’s nearly four-month suspension was lifted Tuesday — but he is no closer to returning to the Miami Dolphins.

Word came on an otherwise quiet Tuesday afternoon, but context tells the true story: It was an administrative move that had long been planned.

Incognito is in the final year of his contract, and is set to become a free agent in March. He is not expected to return.

The news comes in the same week that Ted Wells is expected to finally make his independent review of the team’s workplace conduct scandal public. Jonathan Martin, like Incognito, missed most of the season's second half, and is likewise expected to play elsewhere in 2014.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/0...#storylink=cpy