Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montieth: The Stephensons At Home In Indiana

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Montieth: The Stephensons At Home In Indiana

It wasn't teabagging, he mooned a female trainer while she was checking him for a stress fracture.

And I'm sure a lot of other positive details about Lance's life are left out as well, would that be covering them up? No, because the article isn't meant as a biography with every little detail being given. Sucks that a feel good article has to go this direction.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wasn't teabagging, he mooned a female trainer while she was checking him for a stress fracture.
    Oh ??

http://www.wackbag.com/threads/peyto...trainer.10340/
    http://boston.barstoolsports.com/ran...inst-her-will/
    http://www.sportramble.com/tcfbs-ran...derek-jeter/2/

And just to note -- 'twas not I that derailed the thread.

Lance, Lance, and Lantz hmmmm I'm guessing they all have nicknames around the house or communication would not be easy on the mother lol.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Man, If you cant feel good about that story, and feel the need to mention things negative , then possibly one needs to take a long hard look in the mirror

I remember as a big Lance fan when we drafted him , and the allegations that followed how some said he would be out of the league or he would end up in jail etc etc.

To think now roughly four years later people are almost to tears at the thought of Lance signing with someone else......

Wow
    Sittin on top of the world!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Is it too early to think of a nickname for Lantz? How about Born Second?

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    The second coming?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Born Already.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    The second coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Born Already.
    Conceived Ready

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    just to irk … not to irk them, but to show that pride
    Well, that sure sounds familiar.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

This reporting sure does blow away a bunch of stereotyping about Lance:

- He has a close relationship with his Father, he's not some Ghetto fatherless hood
    - He and his father pride themselves in being "old school"
    - He got up at 5 am every morning in high school to work out and perfect his craft
    - Both his parents drive a car. This isn't some downtown New York projects family
    - His grandfather earned a college degree.

As the article puts it: "both Father Lance and Pacer Lance reject the 'playground player' tag that some have put on the Pacers guard."

Lance and his family don't sound anything like your stereotypical New York playground kid and inner city parents or lack thereof. This reporting by Montieth has been a nice contribution.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 01-29-2014 at 09:57 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I have no reason to believe this, but I just feel like they call Lantz 'Z'. It seems right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Man, If you cant feel good about that story, and feel the need to mention things negative , then possibly one needs to take a long hard look in the mirror

I remember as a big Lance fan when we drafted him , and the allegations that followed how some said he would be out of the league or he would end up in jail etc etc.

To think now roughly four years later people are almost to tears at the thought of Lance signing with someone else......

Wow
    You were one of a select few.(fans) Back in the days of the war of LS vs.AJ.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    You were one of a select few.(fans) Back in the days of the war of LS vs.AJ.

AJ?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    AJ?
    It's negligible, but I'd take him over Sloan. NOW LET'S FIGHT ABOUT IT!

Lance is misunderstood. He isn't a "thug" or a "goon". If you watch him interviewed, he is actually a humble guy. Not cocky and arrogant.
    David "And One" West

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

This cat has one of the most unique stories in the NBA. A New York high school legend who no one wanted to take a chance on except for the great Larry Legend. Now he has become one of the more dynamic players in the entire NBA. I will go into mourning if we don't keep him and may never recover as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's negligible, but I'd take him over Sloan. NOW LET'S FIGHT ABOUT IT!
    I was actually trying to figure out what the initials stood for. There's Anthony Johnson back in the day and other AJ's here and there. I guess he meant A.J. Price, but not sure when there was a Lance v. A.J. Price debate.

I was actually trying to figure out what the initials stood for. There's Anthony Johnson back in the day and other AJ's here and there. I guess he meant A.J. Price, but not sure when there was a Lance v. A.J. Price debate.

I don't know if there was a Lance v. Price debate either, probably, moronic debates like that is what Pacers Digest specializes in. Josh Friggin McRoberts has people staking out sides.

Also, we shoulda kept McBob.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

This reporting sure does blow away a bunch of stereotyping about Lance:

- He has a close relationship with his Father, he's not some Ghetto fatherless hood
    - He and his father pride themselves in being "old school"
    - He got up at 5 am every morning in high school to work out and perfect his craft
    - Both his parents drive a car. This isn't some downtown New York projects family
    - His grandfather earned a college degree.

As the article puts it: "both Father Lance and Pacer Lance reject the 'playground player' tag that some have put on the Pacers guard."

Lance and his family don't sound anything like your stereotypical New York playground kid and inner city parents or lack thereof. This reporting by Montieth has been a nice contribution.
    Who was stereotyping Lance with any of those things?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who was stereotyping Lance with any of those things?
    Yeah, for me "playground player" only has to do with the style of play on the court, not with anything about how you were raised or how hard you work.

And, yes, Lance shares the ball a LOT more than most of the NYC playground style players he could be compared to, but he still seems to prefer the flash and dazzle one-on-one showing you up at the basket that tends to be associated with that style.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Wonder what would have happened to Lance had he ended up at Kansas instead of Xavier Henry.

Lance's college recruitment story is really interesting. Lance was originally a heavy IU lean under Sampson (there's actually a funny picture outside the bathroom at Prime 47 formerly Mo's downtown, it is a young Lance in an Isaiah Thomas IU jersey with the owners on either side of him), so I began watching a lot of tape of him. Lance's high school game was a lot of flash with not a lot of the substance we see now. Sampson had a guy on his staff, the name escapes me now, but the guy was big in the Maryland-Virginia, and NYC areas. That was what had Devin Ebanks committed to IU, and Lance was expected to do the same, that is of course until Sampson was caught cheating and canned.

Kansas then emerged as Lance's preferred destination, but Kansas was also recruiting Xavier Henry and basically Xavier committed first and Lance and Kansas had end the recruitment. Lance didn't want to compete for playing time anyway and Kansas was at the scholarship limit. At this point, Lance's recruitment had kind of farted out, most of the really big schools had filled all their slots and you had the reported attitude issues off the court really dragging him down. Thus Lance ends up at Cincinatti, not a slouch program by any measure, but not a national power any longer either. He has a solid, but unspectacular year there playing small forward which causes him to end up dropping to the 40th pick.

If Lance ends up at Kansas by committing before Xavier Henry (or at IU by Sampson either not getting caught or Lance sticking with the Hoosiers), he does not drop to the 2nd round even with all the attitude questions. Self made Henry the focus of that Jayhawks team offensively and probably would have done the same with Lance. That Kansas team went 33-3 and had X. Henry, The Morris twins, Cole Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, all guys in the NBA, and they got a ton of attention. Who knows where Lance ends up then, maybe he gets drafted by a big city team and gets swept up in the current there, maybe he still ends up on the Pacers, but we have to pick him at 10 and don't get Paul George....one of the more interesting "what ifs" for a player and team in the past 5 or so years really. Clearly glad it played out this way for all parties.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-30-2014 at 11:56 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I was referring to AJ Price. The past doesn't matter, I just remembered 90sNBArocked supporting Lance with me in the dark days.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Born Readier

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Wonder what would have happened to Lance had he ended up at Kansas instead of Xavier Henry.

Lance's college recruitment story is really interesting. Lance was originally a heavy IU lean under Sampson (there's actually a funny picture outside the bathroom at Prime 47 formerly Mo's downtown, it is a young Lance in an Isaiah Thomas IU jersey with the owners on either side of him), so I began watching a lot of tape of him. Lance's high school game was a lot of flash with not a lot of the substance we see now. Sampson had a guy on his staff, the name escapes me now, but the guy was big in the Maryland-Virginia, and NYC areas. That was what had Devin Ebanks committed to IU, and Lance was expected to do the same, that is of course until Sampson was caught cheating and canned.

Kansas then emerged as Lance's preferred destination, but Kansas was also recruiting Xavier Henry and basically Xavier committed first and Lance and Kansas had end the recruitment. Lance didn't want to compete for playing time anyway and Kansas was at the scholarship limit. At this point, Lance's recruitment had kind of farted out, most of the really big schools had filled all their slots and you had the reported attitude issues off the court really dragging him down. Thus Lance ends up at Cincinatti, not a slouch program by any measure, but not a national power any longer either. He has a solid, but unspectacular year there playing small forward which causes him to end up dropping to the 40th pick.

If Lance ends up at Kansas by committing before Xavier Henry (or at IU by Sampson either not getting caught or Lance sticking with the Hoosiers), he does not drop to the 2nd round even with all the attitude questions. Self made Henry the focus of that Jayhawks team offensively and probably would have done the same with Lance. That Kansas team went 33-3 and had X. Henry, The Morris twins, Cole Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, all guys in the NBA, and they got a ton of attention. Who knows where Lance ends up then, maybe he gets drafted by a big city team and gets swept up in the current there, maybe he still ends up on the Pacers, but we have to pick him at 10 and don't get Paul George....one of the more interesting "what ifs" for a player and team in the past 5 or so years really. Clearly glad it played out this way for all parties.

I thanked your post but I had to point out that this is one of the coolest stories I've read about Lance. Sorta cooler than the Larry Bird connection in the Pacers article by Montieth.

Throughout the NBA years several of us have really complained about how many great players the Pacers either "lucked" out on getting or mistakenly passed up on in the draft. I'm still bitter about not getting Patrick Ewing in the draft and I was a little kid when that happened. With that said, I'm so happy about the 2010 draft. They only had picks 10 and 40 but they wound up drafting 2 guys that would probably be taken between picks 1-5 if there was a redraft today.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

In Indy I spend more time on the south side than anywhere (went to HS there and most of my friends are from there) and have never seen an NBA player there. Really interesting/cool that Lance lives there. I have seen 3 or 4 Pacers at Keystone Mall on the north side, and I probably spend about 10% as much time around there as I do the south side. Two really different parts of town. Nothing wrong with the south side but its definitely middle class, not upper.