Thread: Mark Tatum to become NBA Deputy Commissioner

Default Mark Tatum to become NBA Deputy Commissioner

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-spot/related/

Report: Mark Tatum to become NBA Deputy Commissioner, filling Adam Silver’s spot

At a press conference in London recently before the Nets/Hawks game there, incoming NBA Commissioner (as of this weekend) Adam Silver said that he wanted to continue the tradition of having an NBA Deputy Commissioner, the role he has filled for years next to the retiring David Stern.

Silver brushed aside the idea of who that might be, but you know he’s too detail oriented a person not to have already had a plan in place.

That new Deputy Commissioner is going to be Mark Tatum, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports, who also gives us a little background about the man.

Tatum, who is African-American, will become one of the highest-ranking minority executives in major professional sports….

Several league officials describe Tatum as bright, capable and engaging, an executive who has spent most of the past 15 years as a revenue creator for the NBA. Tatum has overseen the league’s marketing partnerships with major corporate brands, and managed sales relationships with the league’s TV and media partners.

As one league executive told Yahoo Sports, “Mark is extremely bright and talented, a guy who has the ability to be well-respected and well-liked.”

Technically Tatum has to be approved by the owners for the post, but that is more formality that anything. Silver will get his guy.

I will make only on prediction about Tatum’s tenure as Deputy Commissioner: Come June he will be cheered wildly as he comes out to announce the second round of the NBA Draft. The only real question I have is how long before Silver gets booed at that event — does he get a year honeymoon or does it start this June?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mark Tatum to become NBA Deputy Commissioner

I am so happy to FINALLY get rid of Stern!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am so happy to FINALLY get rid of Stern!!
    Silver's his hand appointed replacement, there's not gonna be any difference.

Which I'm fine with. People love to hate Stern but he's the best pro sports commissioner since Pete Rozelle and it's not really a question. That doesn't mean I like him, but he was stellar at his job, that's undeniable.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Silver's his hand appointed replacement, there's not gonna be any difference.
    You know who else helped hand appoint their own replacement? Frank Vogel's immediate predecessor.

#justsaying
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I think Stern has done so much for the NBA. Im not sure why people don't like him
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I think Stern has done so much for the NBA. Im not sure why people don't like him
    I agree that he has done a great job growing the NBA...

If other Pacer fans are like me though... I'm just a little bitter still at how he handed down punishments post-brawl...

And I do somewhat question if the league was rigged (in the early 2000s especially) on his watch... Please don't hit me Uncle Buck...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as fans do not like the guy he did help grow the league since 1982. The league's total revenue when he took over was around 118 million revenue and now it is about 4.6 billion. You got to be doing something right. As commissioner he has done a good job.

Stern has grown the game incredibly throughout the country and the rest of the world. For that, he deserves a lot of credit. However, a lot of the methods he used to grow the game have directly led to the problems that many have with the current NBA. Magic, Larry, and Michael made the NBA a global sport. But, it required proper marketing to make people in Europe and Asia aware of these players. The NBA needed to focus on superstars to reach these global fans. This led to the superstar treatment that has frustrated small-market teams for the last two decades.

Who knows how the NBA would look today if Stern didn't support the superstar model. Some fans would love to see Lebron James have to deal with the type of defense that Michael Jordan had to deal with early in his career. Others would prefer to see a more offensive game with lots of highlight plays.

Is the NFL model, where any team can do a 180 in just a few years, a better model? Would it even work in the NBA? Would the Knicks-Pacers battles have been as entertaining if there wasn't the narrative of the underdog small market team versus the big market team with it? Aside from Green Bay (due to their unique ownership structure and very small market), this is rarely discussed in the NFL. Would the current rivalry with Miami be as entertaining if they weren't viewed as this evil juggernaut?

I don't know the answers to all of these questions. All I can say is that the Indiana Pacers have shown that you can compete in the current NBA model. It may be more difficult, but it is definitely possible. I love the situation we are in right now. We will have to knock off the big money, evil empire in Miami to win a title, and that is how it should be.

So, I'll just say this: I hope Stern enjoys his retirement. I may not agree with all of his decisions, but I love the NBA. I don't want to act like I could have done it better. Stern was given a difficult job to do. The NBA could be better (as could any league), but I am happy. So, I'll thank Stern for his part in that, and wish him the best as he enjoys his retirement and no longer has to be the focal point of so much hatred around the country from NBA fans.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

Stern may have been a great commissioner at one point, but he out lived his usefulness by a decade and a half, if not longer.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    Stern has grown the game incredibly throughout the country and the rest of the world. For that, he deserves a lot of credit. However, a lot of the methods he used to grow the game have directly led to the problems that many have with the current NBA. Magic, Larry, and Michael made the NBA a global sport. But, it required proper marketing to make people in Europe and Asia aware of these players. The NBA needed to focus on superstars to reach these global fans. This led to the superstar treatment that has frustrated small-market teams for the last two decades.

Who knows how the NBA would look today if Stern didn't support the superstar model. Some fans would love to see Lebron James have to deal with the type of defense that Michael Jordan had to deal with early in his career. Others would prefer to see a more offensive game with lots of highlight plays.
    This.

Stern had a lot of success, but he put all his eggs in the basket that started the success instead of trying to diversify the appeal. There's no question the superstar model rescued the league, but we often fail to look at the years between MJ and LBJ to see that support was waning until the Next Big Guy came along (mainly because the anointed Next Big Guys really weren't). Had there been no LeBron, where would the league be now?

Any time your success plan has only one leg (ride the freakishly good player), you're vulnerable. I hope that they can combine the excitement the casual fan has over a superstar with the long-term loyalty to be gained by making all teams relevant in their own markets.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's appropriate that the last Sunday ABC game of the Stern era was the putrid Lakers vs. the putrid Knicks. That game in a nutshell illustrated the severe big market bias at the expense of quality that has existed for so long in the Stern era. I couldn't think of a better game to send him out with.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

No one will do everything right but he did grow the league to the point where players are making insane amounts of money and I am sure they would prefer to keep that!

Everyone likes to complain about Ecclestone in F1 but you have to give the man credit for growing the sport. I hate him for his backdoor dealings with the IRL and Nascar to try and kill off Champcar but I love F1.

My point is sometimes it takes a jerk to be good at growing a global brand.

I hated Stern when I was younger because of my gripes with the league that I felt he was okay with (star treatment on the court, via the refs) and because of his specific punishment of Artest (would have preferred something like 50-60 games, but then able to return) after the brawl, but I've cooled over the years. I still don't like the former, but I guess I'm 'used to it' more than I once was, and the other is a decade old event.

I think because Stern is going to retire on Saturday its easier to remember him more fondly than he really was. He had some good points and some bad ones that probably could be said about all the commissioners.

Mood

I don't like how he has treated the Pacers and how he has catered to the superstars and big markets. I also feel that his response to the situation in Detroit where the fans attacked the Pacers players was quite one sided. As Reggie has said we were attacked by the Piston fans, security did nothing to help us or stop the riot and we get blamed.