Thread: Mike Ditka thinks NY Super Bowl is stupid

Default Mike Ditka thinks NY Super Bowl is stupid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...an-its-stupid/

Mike Ditka, politely, on NY Super Bowl: “I mean, it’s stupid”

Yesterday, we brought you word of Hall of Fame coach Don Shula, who seemed mildly confused as to why anyone would play a Super Bowl in New York in February.

As you might imagine, former Bears coach and Hall of Fame tight end Mike Ditka had a stronger opinion.

“The weather’s going to be a problem,” Ditka told Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “They made a big mistake. The game shouldn’t be there. I mean, it’s stupid.”

Ditka’s no stranger to playing in harsh conditions, but his concern was more with the chance the weather affects the product on the field, and the people who are paying big money to watch it.

“First of all, it’s not fair to the players,” Ditka said. “It’s not going to be fair to the fans. It’s not going to be that enjoyable.

“I mean, I understand it’s the Super Bowl and it’s a privilege to play in the Super Bowl. It’d be nice to be playing in Miami or San Diego or New Orleans or somewhere the weather is conducive to guys being able to show their talents. . . .

“I’m just saying, if you get extreme cold or you get snow during the game, then it’s unfair to the fans, to the players, to everybody. You’re not going to be able to perform at near the level you’re used to. And the element of luck comes into it, and it shouldn’t happen in that game. That game should be based on the people on the field who make the plays.”

That’s a quaint belief, and one that went out the door the league started hanging Super Bowl sites as carrots in exchange for money for new stadiums, opening the door to the kind of situation we have here this week.

Default Re: Mike Ditka thinks NY Super Bowl is stupid

Playing well under harsh conditions is also a talent, and one that teams not in domes or based in the south have valued since forever, and built their teams around that goal.

More of a crock is when a dome team, built to play at 72 degrees only, plays all the way to a championship in those same perfect, un-football-like conditions (not the case this year).

As a fan, if i were going, I'd prefer to be comfortable. As a TV watcher, though, I have no problem with playing football under the elements, and the teams suited to doing so advance.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-28-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this whole "playing this Super Bowl in NY/NJ is Armageddon for the sport" thing is overblown. For starters, there have been plenty of major NFL playoff games that have been played in frigid conditions, yet it hasn't brought the sport to it's knees. I like this idea. It's something different. The Super Bowl is being played in the media capital of the world, a place that has supported two NFL franchises for a long time. The weather will make it interesting. Both teams play in the same weather. Tough luck if you can't adapt.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Those NFL playoff games in cold weather those teams earned that HFA advantage to have it set there.

The SB site that is beyond their control so I can see why people would find it problematic I see both sides here but I won't exactly be too upset if this ends up being a disaster to Goodell because my biggest issue with this isn't so much the weather as that they wouldn't go out of their way to defend playing in a cold weather outdoor stadium if this was Kansas City or Green Bay in fact they would never consider returning at that point.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those NFL playoff games in cold weather those teams earned that HFA advantage to have it set there.

The SB site that is beyond their control so I can see why people would find it problematic I see both sides here but I won't exactly be too upset if this ends up being a disaster to Goodell because my biggest issue with this isn't so much the weather as that they wouldn't go out of their way to defend playing in a cold weather outdoor stadium if this was Kansas City or Green Bay in fact they would never consider returning at that point.

Good point about teams earning HFA advantage.

As a Colts fan, I obviously enjoy indoor football. I love it when I attend games and it can certainly make for some entertaining outcomes. The Super Bowl here two years ago was a contest between teams executing in perfect conditions with no obstructions, which was certainly great to watch.

That being said, playing in the elements is an integral part of the NFL season. Cold weather makes up a substantial amount of the games, especially in the playoffs. Any legitimate championship team should be able to produce in nasty elements, so I have no trouble at all with the biggest game of the season being played outdoors in the cold. Adjusting to adverse weather conditions is essential for a great football team, so I think it's pretty fun to see who will do it best when the stakes are highest.

I'm not an either/or person. I love watching an indoor Super Bowl like Giants-Pats that is a contest of teams executing in perfect conditions, but I also like seeing how teams can adjust to bad weather. It's a necessary part of the game.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So much of the SB revolves around events leading up to the actual game. We got damned lucky our year to host and were able to make the NFL sit up and take notice....but we were damned lucky. Think of what a fiasco fans would be having this year if it were held here. Would the Zipline be enjoyable in -10 degree weather?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Honestly, I would have no problem at all if the NFL put just a few cities that are virtually guaranteed to have warm weather on a permanent rotation. Miami, Tampa, Phoenix, San Diego. I don't think you could go wrong with just rotating between those four as those four have all hosted in the past and done it well. Does Indy deserve to host again? Sure. Would I be pissed if they didn't? Not really.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I'm still all ***** and giggles about how Dallas got theirs after screwing Indy.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..