Thread: NBA VP says if players ultimately don't want to wear sleeved jerseys, league will listen

Default NBA VP says if players ultimately don't want to wear sleeved jerseys, league will listen

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-will-listen/

NBA VP says if players ultimately don’t want to wear sleeved jerseys, league will listen

The sleeved jerseys the NBA rolled out last season and has expanded the use of this year have gotten a mixed reaction from players and fans alike.

The vote that counts, however, is the one made with dollars spent on them by the fans, and that’s why we saw all 10 teams that played on Christmas Day wearing them, and it’s why the decision was made to go with the sleeves for the All-Star game in New Orleans this season.

The league is a business, but it isn’t one that will sacrifice on-court product for a short-term money grab. So, if over time a majority of players express their unhappiness with the sleeves, the NBA might listen.

From Ric Bucher of Bleacher Report:

“We don’t have any intention to do anything that is going to compromise the play on the court or that the players are against doing,” Sal LaRocca, the NBA’s executive vice president of global merchandising said. …

In any case, LaRocca said plans for next year’s Christmas Day uniforms and the 2015 All-Star Game already are being discussed. If the All-Stars make it clear they don’t like the look or feel of this year’s uniforms, the league will respond accordingly.

“If the feedback is that the players don’t want to wear them, we won’t,” LaRocca said. “We are 50-50 partners with the players in everything we do.”

Here’s the thing: The players are making just as much money as the league is off of these and all other jersey sales. It’s a 50-50 revenue split in this area, so despite certain players expressing their unhappiness with (or blaming substandard shooting performances on) the sleeves, if fans continue to buy them in volumes that exceed expectations, the jerseys and their sleeves are likely to be here to stay.

Default Re: NBA VP says if players ultimately don't want to wear sleeved jerseys, league will listen

Revenues are one thing, but it seems nobody has ever touched on the real goal, to get the "Thug" look out of the NBA for good.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA VP says if players ultimately don't want to wear sleeved jerseys, league will listen

I hope they get rid of the stupid tee shirt look......NOW!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Revenues are one thing, but it seems nobody has ever touched on the real goal, to get the "Thug" look out of the NBA for good.
    This is messed up logic. I don't know if I should say this or not, but I'm going to say it anyways. Anyone calling NBA players thugs is basically a supposedly more correct way of being racist.
    Last edited by boombaby1987; 01-28-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    @qandrews9428

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

AKA they aren't selling as well as they expected.

...for the All Star game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait what? Regular NBA sleeveless jerseys create a "Thug" look??? Did I comprehend this correctly?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Wait what? Regular NBA sleeveless jerseys create a "Thug" look??? Did I comprehend this correctly?
    Dunno where that comes from, either. I've not seen any demographic breakdown on who likes or doesn't like the sleeved jerseys, and I've never seen anyone associate basketball jerseys with "thugs".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Guess that's possible since sleeves covers more of Birdman's tatoos.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This is messed up logic. I don't know if I should say this or not, but I'm going to say it anyways. Anyone calling NBA players thugs is basically a supposedly more correct way of being racist.
    I'm not calling NBA players thugs. Thats why I put " " around it.
    But no one can deny the stereotypical gangster attire you see in wrap videos. Or on many inner city streets in the USA. Its usually a long baggy basketball/football jersey with some saggin jeans and a turned cap. Even Justin Beiber has sported this look on the regular in his new bad boy phase. I'm sure the NBA does not like their jerseys associated with such a look.

Thus they go with a Jersey style that is the opposite of what out there on the streets, a form fitting Athletic shirt that looks garish unlike the the other formfitting options from brands like underarmor.

^^ Did you just mention Justin Beiber and THUG in the same breath ?? AYFKM ??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think they went with sleeved style because the T-shirts with player names and numbers were selling very well and jersey sales are probably down. However, I think they failed to take into account the price point that the t-shirts are 1/3 the cost of the least expensive Gift Shop jersey (and I think they want to take money back from the knock-offs).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I have to agree with you I mean at first it started with players dressing more professional to games, more ticky tack rules and now this is just another thing. I know its un-PC to say but they want the NBA to be more "positive"

I mean the brawl in Detroit was not only a dark part of Pacers history but NBA history and they have all these players covered up in tattoos the NBA wants to cover that up in these jerseys NBA players don't appear "Thug-like" and also make $$$ in the process.

Kills two birds with one stone.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I have to agree with you I mean at first it started with players dressing more professional to games, more ticky tack rules and now this is just another thing. I know its un-PC to say but they want the NBA to be more "positive"

I mean the brawl in Detroit was not only a dark part of Pacers history but NBA history and they have all these players covered up in tattoos the NBA wants to cover that up in these jerseys NBA players don't appear "Thug-like" and also make $$$ in the process.

Kills two birds with one stone.
    Not to mention that today the league's star player are much more brand conscious in terms of how they carry themselves.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Would it really be that difficult for someone to just wear a t-shirt underneath their NBA jersey?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Would it really be that difficult for someone to just wear a t-shirt underneath their NBA jersey?
    No, and it's not, but a lot of people shelling out the money for jerseys and such want it to be as "authentic" as possible, and wearing a t-shirt underneath, while a sensible solution, isn't perfectly ideal. These sleeved jerseys could be authentic and worn without a t-shirt underneath it. Not to mention a lot of, ahem, overweight people or people who are insecure with their bodies prefer not to wear what amounts to a tanktop in public. It's a money making scheme, just like alternate jerseys. They are just going for more of a mass appeal with it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not calling NBA players thugs. Thats why I put " " around it.
    But no one can deny the stereotypical gangster attire you see in wrap videos. Or on many inner city streets in the USA. Its usually a long baggy basketball/football jersey with some saggin jeans and a turned cap. Even Justin Beiber has sported this look on the regular in his new bad boy phase. I'm sure the NBA does not like their jerseys associated with such a look.

Thus they go with a Jersey style that is the opposite of what out there on the streets, a form fitting Athletic shirt that looks garish unlike the the other formfitting options from brands like underarmor.
    and what stops these "thugs" from just wearing the new NBA jersey? Nothing. "Thugs" wear the jerseys because they like basketball/sports. It has nothing to do with no sleeves.

And the NBA LOVES seeing Snoop Lion wear a Danny Granger jersey btw. http://instagram.com/p/LwwVYBP9Ho

It has nothing to do with a wanting a "culture change" or appeasing fans that don't look appealing in a sleeveless jersey. They started the sleeves because it's another revenue stream, partly from some fans needing the new thing, but far more because it creates space for the advertising patches that're coming.

and what stops these "thugs" from just wearing the new NBA jersey? Nothing. "Thugs" wear the jerseys because they like basketball/sports. It has nothing to do with no sleeves.

And the NBA LOVES seeing Snoop Lion wear a Danny Granger jersey btw. http://instagram.com/p/LwwVYBP9Ho
    Because the new Shirt Jersey doesn't fit the fashion profile of the "thug"

I never said it was the sole reason for the new Jersey but I think it was definitely on their radar as something they wanted to address.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    No, and it's not, but a lot of people shelling out the money for jerseys and such want it to be as "authentic" as possible, and wearing a t-shirt underneath, while a sensible solution, isn't perfectly ideal. These sleeved jerseys could be authentic and worn without a t-shirt underneath it. Not to mention a lot of, ahem, overweight people or people who are insecure with their bodies prefer not to wear what amounts to a tanktop in public. It's a money making scheme, just like alternate jerseys. They are just going for more of a mass appeal with it.
    So overweight people will buy a form fitting jersey instead? That is like squeezing into a "slim" dress shirt when you need the regular cut. I'm not sure those are who this is aimed at. I have rarely seen a person wear the normal jersey without a t-shirt under it and if you are big you just order them bigger.