Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider: Do Pacers have best shot at Lowry?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN Insider: Do Pacers have best shot at Lowry?

Haven't seen anything on here about this and I'm not sure if this even belongs on the main forum, but if anyone can help that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN Insider: Do Pacers have best shot at Lowry?

Do Pacers have best shot at Lowry?
    January, 27, 2014
    JAN 27
    2:13
    PM ET
    By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com
    RECOMMEND11TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    Toronto point guard Kyle Lowry continues to be one of the more intriguing players who could be moved prior to the NBA's Feb. 20 trade deadline.

Lowry is set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season and, not too long ago, appeared to be a good bet to be traded this season. But that changed after the Raptors started to play so well in the weeks that followed the Rudy Gay trade. Where do things stand today, with Toronto (22-21) currently a game behind Atlanta for the No. 3 seed in the Eastern Conference playoff race? Here's the latest.

ESPN's Marc Stein reports on Monday that the sense around the league remains that Toronto is more likely to trade Lowry than keep him, because the Raptors want to prevent losing him for nothing.

So what's stopping a deal from going down? Even if the Raptors are intent on trading Lowry, one issue is the lack of a market. Few contending teams are in dire need for point guard help, and at this point none are interested enough to part with much. Stein notes: "Issue here hasn't changed: No team out there willing YET to meet Raps' asking price for PG who, nice as he's playin, can bolt in free agency."

I wrote about this back in early December, speculating at the time that Miami, Indiana, Golden State and Memphis were the four contenders that made the most sense for Lowry. But since then, the Heat acquired Toney Douglas, the Warriors added Jordan Crawford and the Grizzlies dealt for Courtney Lee.

Might Lowry be piece that gets the Pacers over the top? If the point guard is in fact traded sometime over the next 24 days, Indiana may now be the likeliest landing spot.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

So basically, speculation.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So basically, speculation.
    I am under the impression the Raptors are trying to clean house and build for the future despite leading the Atlantic division....but if they want to trade for assets while not taking back significant long-term salary....we have no one that can fit that bill. Does Lowry make sense for the Pacers? Sure, more depth...the better.....he'd be an upgrade to CJ and many here think the GH is overpaid ( and have no problem jettisoning him out the nearest airlock for a bag of chips ). But what would be the cost for the Pacers? Would the Raptors even want GHs ( overpaid to some ) contract?

I'd be interested in why this guy thinks that the Pacers would be a possible landing place for Lowry.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Get it done Larry.

He's expiring, so he'd likely want a raise to keep him next year, and we're scraping for every penny for Lance. Cope & CJ? not enough, I'd think. You could let him walk and then have more money for Lance, with Cope gone, but is Sloan then your backup PG next year?

just don't see a fit
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

This would be Riverboat Larry. If he traded Hill for Lowry, Larry is banking on being able to re-sign Lowry and Lance for pretty nice deals or else the team is in trouble at the point guard position from now on. I really doubt it happens, but Lowry at point guard would make us a better team.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I'm not a fan of Lowry. I don't think this deal has any real shot of happening because I don't see us having the assets to get him, but he's been kind of a diva in his previous stops. Up until this season, he has had a history of being given the reigns as the starter only to lose them to his backup at some point. I've read some not so flattering stories about his locker room demeanor as well. And again, why mess with something that is working so well? Just doesn't add up to me.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I don't really see how we would be good trade partners in this situation. We don't really have the young pieces they're looking for and I don't get why they'd want Hill.

Lowry is turning it on this season because its a contract year. Last time Lowry turned it on....it was also a contract year. No thanks, which is a shame because when he has it turned on like this he one heck of a player. He is also injury prone.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    Get it done Larry.
    With what? What do the Pacers want that the Raptors can give to meet their goal of "getting something" in return for trading Lowry?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I don't really see how we would be good trade partners in this situation. We don't really have the young pieces they're looking for and I don't get why they'd want Hill.
    Can't Bird just push the "Override Trade" button on his PS3? That works in video games....I am sure that it is as easy to make trades in the real NBA .

If we were to trade for Lowry I would assume it would be because they couldn't find another partner and scrambled.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd give them George Hill for him, and if Lowry walks in the offseason, that at least clears a big chunk of money off our capspace giving us more wiggle room. Lowry's clearly the superior player, but they might prefer the fact that Hill's locked up long-term considering the article mentions Toronto's worries over losing Lowry for nothing is their reason for wanting to deal him.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Don't need Hill to go to Toronto, he can go to a 3rd team that has the assets Toronto is looking for.

I don't want to see Hill traded or any of the starters right now. We need Hill and his 3pt shooting. But this summer might be a different story. Have to cross that bridge when we get there.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Don't need Hill to go to Toronto, he can go to a 3rd team that has the assets Toronto is looking for.

I don't want to see Hill traded or any of the starters right now. We need Hill and his 3pt shooting. But this summer might be a different story. Have to cross that bridge when we get there.
    Not to argue in favor of this trade or nothing, but isn't Lowry a comparable 3 shooter? I don't think we would lose out in the scoring department by swapping Hill for Lowry. Defensively though? And isn't Lowry fairly injury prone?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Not to argue in favor of this trade or nothing, but isn't Lowry a comparable 3 shooter?
    Only this season. Lowry is shooting 39.5% from 3 this year while Hill is at 39.7%.

Career-wise, they are not close at all, though. Lowry is at 34.8% while Hill is at 37.6%. Hill's worst was 32.9% in his rookie year. Lowry's worst was 25.5% in his 3rd year and he has had 3 seasons below 30%.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Lowry is in his contract year, he wants a big pay day, he's never played in the playoffs, and he has fallen out with many teams. Don't think he fits Pacers.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Nah, I'm good. I like this team
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Unless they wanna do it for scraps it ain't happening. I'm talking like a Cope + CJ + Solo + a couple 2nd rounders for Lowry + one of their end of bench scrub guys type deal. So, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Unless they wanna do it for scraps it ain't happening. I'm talking like a Cope + CJ + Solo + a couple 2nd rounders for Lowry + one of their end of bench scrub guys type deal. So, yeah.
    I wouldn't even give that much. We don't need Lowry and it's too high of a price to pay just to get rid of Copeland's contract. CJ is actually on a contract that I'd like to see us keep.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Nah, I'm good. I like this team
    They are bloody good!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No thanks. Don't mess with chemistry dudes. If we do anything I'd say a back-up BIG as insurance only for a Pacer-Heat series, someone to fill in a foul plagued Hibbert slot.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont think Larry has any interest at all in Lowry..I do however think he would like to do a Copeland for Kaman trade...

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Lowry will just take away some shots from PG, Lance and Hibs..... and that ain't good