Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nuggets/Pacers Postgame

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Nuggets/Pacers Postgame

3-2 would be a successful road trip, even if these games aren't exactly encouraging.
    @qandrews9428

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nuggets/Pacers Postgame

The Pacers are 3-5 when Roy Hibbert records 5 or more fouls, 0-4 in the last four games it has happened.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

And another goose egg from this road trip. :vomit:
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Sports Logo

Yet another 2nd game of a road back-to-back loss. Not completely unexpected
    especially considering how they had to fight to get back into it last night.
    Not a big deal. Two days to rest before the Lakers; I expect a good showing
    in LA.

"Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Tired or not this team does not look capable of winning a title. Title level teams learn from their mistakes. How many of our losses could have been avoided by not sleepwalking through the first half. And we still arent doing it. It takes less energy to stay in a game than to come back in one.

We continue to whine to the officials not realizing we arent the Heat. Thus its counter productive. And we continue to run plays for the open man which is normally fine. But when that person is 6 for 20 its time to stop especially during an attempted comeback.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

Small, quick, athletic teams we just do not match up well against. That is who we have faced the past few games. The elite teams we may meet in the postseason do not fit that bill, hence I am not overly worried.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tired or not this team does not look capable of winning a title. Title level teams learn from their mistakes. How many of our losses could have been avoided by not sleepwalking through the first half. And we still arent doing it. It takes less energy to stay in a game than to come back in one.

We continue to whine to the officials not realizing we arent the Heat. Thus its counter productive. And we continue to run plays for the open man which is normally fine. But when that person is 6 for 20 its time to stop especially during an attempted comeback.

LeWade are going down.

13. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Pacers played well tonight. We have to realize we are not going to get foul calls playing in west coast teams home courts. No team in the West plays defense except for Memphis. West Coast is the jump shot, three ball coast. When Indy comes in with our brand of defense, we will get called for more fouls than we get called against the other team. Denver, Sac, and Phx are all track meet teams. First team to 115 pts usually wins. West Coast Ref crews are not used to seeing defense (especially our brand) in games involving Denver, Sac, and Phx. So they call fouls on us, and don't call fouls on the other team. Because defense isn't the philosophy of Denver, Phx, and Sac. This team is built to dominate the East, not the West.

The Knicks were built to outscore East teams, but also play with West Coast teams because they shoot so many 3's. But the reason why the Knicks lose, is because they play no defense. Hence why they will never get anywhere. Indy needs more offense, but it's hard to build a team with perfect defense, but also enough offense. Miami gets the closest, but only because they have Lebron. Bird needs to add more offense to our bench. We need a scoring 3 and a scoring 2. Or a scoring 2 in a trade, and just let Copeland play after PG. But WE NEED MORE OFFENSE. Mahinmi has to go as well. AGAIN in this game, Ian got a pass under the basket, and the ball just shot out of his hand into the air. He is pathetic!

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This game's timeline was pretty believable. 1st Q: Wilson Chandler's adam's apple tats punch us in the mouth to begin the game; 2nd Q: 'Lil Nate speedbags our foreheads; 3rd Q: We come out strong on offense with Lance's energy level at around 10,000 feet; 4th Q: We can't sustain it against the best NBA player whose first name is based on Cockney accents: Timofey Mozgov. I guess the foul trouble and overall defensive slowness was due to being tired. I don't really get thinking we will win every game, but I don't think we're that good, especially after demoting West to half a player.

Ian Report: Alright, so several posters have indicated that they believe he has played poorly of late. That's fine, Sam, and I will take it into consideration as time goes by. I thought he covered the absolutely deadly Denver PnR better than anyone, though that may be because the Pacers were moving in slow motion this evening. He hedged fairly well on the guards, but had trouble with the dextrous strength of the one true Mozgod (hat tip to LG33). Both he and Roy fouled out; has this happened before? It's a bummer, because other than Lance's energy and Brian Shaw denying the Nuggets crowd tacos, Ian's ferocious dunk down the lane was the only bright spot in a bad game. 'B' because he hit 3-4 free throws, and I love the damn free throws!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Pacers played well tonight. We have to realize we are not going to get foul calls playing in west coast teams home courts. No team in the West plays defense except for Memphis. West Coast is the jump shot, three ball coast. When Indy comes in with our brand of defense, we will get called for more fouls than we get called against the other team. Denver, Sac, and Phx are all track meet teams. First team to 115 pts usually wins. West Coast Ref crews are not used to seeing defense (especially our brand) in games involving Denver, Sac, and Phx. So they call fouls on us, and don't call fouls on the other team. Because defense isn't the philosophy of Denver, Phx, and Sac. This team is built to dominate the East, not the West.

The Knicks were built to outscore East teams, but also play with West Coast teams because they shoot so many 3's. But the reason why the Knicks lose, is because they play no defense. Hence why they will never get anywhere. Indy needs more offense, but it's hard to build a team with perfect defense, but also enough offense. Miami gets the closest, but only because they have Lebron. Bird needs to add more offense to our bench. We need a scoring 3 and a scoring 2. Or a scoring 2 in a trade, and just let Copeland play after PG. But WE NEED MORE OFFENSE. Mahinmi has to go as well. AGAIN in this game, Ian got a pass under the basket, and the ball just shot out of his hand into the air. He is pathetic!
    Where are you getting these stats about refs? Pretty sure they are all distributed around the NBA, not specific conferences.
    @qandrews9428

17. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This emote cracks me up
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

I think we have more than enough offense in both units to win games. The problem tonight, as much as anything, was that our perimeter players would suck in to better positions for help defense, then got caught ball watching rather than recovering back to the proximity of their men. Their man would receive the ball and either put up the three, or drive as our guys finally attempted to recover. When they drove, our centers ended up picking up fouls.

Denver executed their game plan using the quickness of their perimeter players. As in other recent games we seem to have problems with teams that load up quick perimeter players on us. The problem is not Hill alone. Lance and Paul have been failing miserably in their defense as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Teams know how to attack the Pacers, but we can adjust. Our bigs were tired which exacerbated things. We've probably never focused on trying to stop 6 foot tall players penetrating the paint but not attempting to get to the rim to be stopped. Me thinks champions are not made from that ilk, so I'm not concerned at all. We've been too busy figuring out King James...and that has been a good use of our time. Denver would never beat the Pacers in a 7 game series.
    LeWade are going down.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post

It sucks to lose to teams that aren't as good as us, but it's the NBA. We're not going to look like a powerhouse every night.

There are 82 games in the regular season. There are going to be stretches where we don't look as sharp, and keep in mind these are road games and this was a back to back, which we are currently 6-6 on the second part of a back to back.

The bottom line is we have the best record in the NBA (or at least trail by a half game, I don't remember at this point) and this loss didn't end our season. It sucks. But we'll be fine.

We haven't done anything yet. It's all about April.

I remember we looked bad to end the season last year before the playoffs and we were fine.

That being said, Denver is lucky they caught us on a back to back, on the road, and after a tough OT win in Sacramento last night. I think it'll be a different story when they visit us in Bankers Life
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

I'm just a little bit worried about Miami. 3 games back now.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Where are you getting these stats about refs? Pretty sure they are all distributed around the NBA, not specific conferences.
    Dude, trust me I watch a lot of West Coast team games. The Knicks take a lot of 3's per game ok? But in the Western Conference? You have about 9 teams that take just as many if not more. Phx, Sac, and Denver take a bunch of 3's per game. Neither team is great defensively either. A block here or there sure, but lockdown defense like Indy or Miami? No way. Refs who do their games aren't used to seeing Eastern Conference elite defense. So they have quick whistles. That's why they score so many points. Refs who do west coast games are used to jump shooting contests. Not grind it out, defense games. Physical style is not the mark of West teams. Again, cept Memphis. Look at Houston for example. 70 points in 1 half in two straight games. That's why we will have trouble playing on the home court of west teams. Home court gives them a ref advantage over us, plus playing styles. But when they visit Indy...we dominate by double digits. Why? Because the ticky tack fouls that would be called in Houston, Denver, or Phoenix aren't called on the East Coast. Hence, without those extra free throws, points, or possessions, West Coast teams look bad in our house. I use the Houston game where we smoked them by 30 as an example. The Kings game where we beat them by 25 as well.

West Coast teams could beat us in a jump shooting contest with no defense, and everyone is chucking 25+ 3's in a game. But when it's half court defense, physical, and the refs aren't officiating with a "west coast" mindset...we win and we win BIG.
    Last edited by Grimp; 01-26-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Sports Logo

Look, the Nuggets played smart tonight. They exploited their quickness and completely negated our size advantage. They sticked to their gameplan and they were able to make big shots in the 3rd quarter when we got the score close. Simply put, they outplayed us. They deserve full credit for that.

About the road trip as a whole. There has been a common issue in every one of these 4 road games. We have allowed the opposing team to dictate the pace. That's why our defense has suffered.

The difference between home games and road games has been stark. At home we are able to control the pace against the very best of them. The Indiana crowd helps a lot with that and deserves kudos for it. We have not been able to do this consistently away from home and we have not been able to do this at all in this road trip.

Our bench has been bad in this road trip as well. It would help us if they were able to provide consistent scoring. They're playing much better at home as well.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Dude, trust me I watch a lot of West Coast team games. The Knicks take a lot of 3's per game ok? But in the Western Conference? You have about 9 teams that take just as many if not more. Phx, Sac, and Denver take a bunch of 3's per game. Neither team is great defensively either. A block here or there sure, but lockdown defense like Indy or Miami? No way. Refs who do their games aren't used to seeing Eastern Conference elite defense. So they have quick whistles. That's why they score so many points. Refs who do west coast games are used to jump shooting contests. Not grind it out, defense games. Physical style is not the mark of West teams. Again, cept Memphis. Look at Houston for example. 70 points in 1 half in two straight games. That's why we will have trouble playing on the home court of west teams. Home court gives them a ref advantage over us, plus playing styles. But when they visit Indy...we dominate by double digits. Why? Because the ticky tack fouls that would be called in Houston, Denver, or Phoenix aren't called on the East Coast. Hence, without those extra free throws, points, or possessions, West Coast teams look bad in our house. I use the Houston game where we smoked them by 30 as an example. The Kings game where we beat them by 25 as well.

West Coast teams could beat us in a jump shooting contest with no defense, and everyone is chucking 25+ 3's in a game. But when it's half court defense, physical, and the refs aren't officiating with a "west coast" mindset...we win and we win BIG.
    "Dude, trust me ok," is not a source. If you find me a database that shows refs are assigned to specific conferences I will believe you, but that is not how it works.
    @qandrews9428

30. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    The bottom line is we have the best record in the NBA (or at least trail by a half game, I don't remember at this point)
    We do. We have not lost 10 games yet. Everyone else has lost at least 10 games since the 22nd.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA Refs do both conferences, they are equally bad no matter teams or what time zone they are in on a given night.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Look, the Nuggets played smart tonight. They exploited their quickness and completely negated our size advantage. They sticked to their gameplan and they were able to make big shots in the 3rd quarter when we got the score close. Simply put, they outplayed us. They deserve full credit for that.

About the road trip as a whole. There has been a common issue in every one of these 4 road games. We have allowed the opposing team to dictate the pace. That's why our defense has suffered.

The difference between home games and road games has been stark. At home we are able to control the pace against the very best of them. The Indiana crowd helps a lot with that and deserves kudos for it. We have not been able to do this consistently away from home and we have not been able to do this at all in this road trip.

Our bench has been bad in this road trip as well. It would help us if they were able to provide consistent scoring. They're playing much better at home as well.

We need more scoring off our bench. That's something Larry will have to fix before the T. Deadline. We thought Danny would come back and fix that, but he is not himself and is not as aggressive as he needs to be. Plus he's 2 season's older now than the last time we saw him healthy and on the court. So he needs to be moved before the deadline. So does Ian. Salary wise, we can move Danny for an expiring. Of a player who is offensively aggressive. Someone with a Nick Young, or Jeff Green or Marcus Thornton offensive set of skills/mindset. But who's also an expiring. Rodney Stuckey is our best bet. Unless the bosses can net two players, one with 1 year left, and the other a larger expiring. Pau Gasol would be interesting.

He's a $20 mil expiring. If we can take Nick Young with him, and dump Granger, Solo, and maybe Ian to the Lakers? And if Philadelphia, Boston, or Chicago can send L.A. one of their draft picks, and LA sends them Meeks or Farmar. I know you guys probably are not big on Herky Jerky Nick Young, but dude leagues the league in bench points right now. Averaging 17 off the Lakers bench. Nick's salary slot would replace Solo and Ian's. Except Nick would be more productive. And Gasol as a big expiring, allows us to resign Lance, and probably a cheap vet in the off season.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

NBA will probably take it down, but here's Ian's dunk:

Can't find any of Lance's highlight moves.

Edit: And.....this thread is straight Grimpin'.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Everybody always talks about a letdown on a back to back but it shouldn't be that big of a factor if you are a professional basketball player. You should be in that kind of shape. It's not like they are running a marathon or something. The altitude I can buy, but the back to back excuse...not so much. Pacers still have a ways to go in the mental toughness department by the end of the season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Everybody always talks about a letdown on a back to back but it shouldn't be that big of a factor if you are a professional basketball player. You should be in that kind of shape. It's not like they are running a marathon or something. The altitude I can buy, but the back to back excuse...not so much. Pacers still have a ways to go in the mental toughness department by the end of the season.
    I just don't get this line of thinking. Is Miami mentally weak because they lost to Boston and Sacramento among others?

This game proved we are not the 96 Bulls. We already knew that, no biggie. One loss on the 2nd night of a back to back is not the end of the world.

39. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Mental toughness isn't going to matter all too much if they just played a hell of a game the night before on the road, that went into overtime, and their legs feel like jello running up and down the court.

Yeah, they are professional athletes that have access to the best medical trainers and nutritionists, but the bottom line is they are human. It's a credit to how good we are this year that we expect to win mostly every game, usually no matter what the circumstance.

Hell, a lot of the losses we have had this year are flukey ones, and I hate to take credit away from the teams that have beaten us, but remember when Chicago beat us to end our undefeated streak?

Everyone on their team was hitting 3 after 3 after 3. Rose hit like 10 3's, well, maybe not 10, but at least 6.

Teams seem to beat us on the second end of back to backs, or teams get hot and just hit every shot against us, no matter how good we are executing our gameplan on defense. I'll take that. That's a credit to how good we have been.

No back to backs in the postseason, so we have that going for us and if we're clinching our first trip to the NBA Finals since 2000, in May or early June this year, we aren't going to remember or even care about losing to a less-talented Denver team in Denver on a back to back.

The bottom line is, I think we'll be fine. I expect to win every game, so I get a little angry when we lose, but it's not ending our season or the end of the world.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post: