Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Indiana Pacers Operating on 1-Year Championship Window?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are Indiana Pacers Operating on 1-Year Championship Window?

I choose to not worry about next season and enjoy this wonderful season. In Bird we trust.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger OTOH is gone IMO. That is a given. Granger is not going to be a factor in our salary situation at all nor will he be any kind of true backup plan for losing Stevenson. Maybe that idea gets tossed around as negotiating leverage but TPTB won't be actually going there when the rubber hits the road. I'm not even sure they'd be interested at the vet minimum right now..
    Why do you think the Pacers have no interest in Granger at all? If the team can't keep Lance why wouldn't they want to keep Granger? It is unlikely that you will find someone better than Granger. To add to that Granger wouldn't have to learn the system or how to play with the other players. It would be idiotic to not want to keep Granger no matter what happens with Lance.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If it were me I would trade Copeland for a future draft pick, we are not using him and his best position is the 3 where we have enough players. I would also send Solomon Hill and maybe even Donald Sloan that's 5,386,003 in room right there leaving us 13.6 million, Try and re sign Both Lance and Danny if we can get Danny for a low enough cost but no so low its insulting to him. Pay Lance a starting salary of 10 Million and Danny the rest.

Lance is in that sweet spot of potential, we can see his potential but he does not live up to it night after night, will he take the next leap next year??? Not sure but not sure I would be willing to spend 50 million to find out. Danny is a year younger than West, and remember West was out for a while before he came to the Pacers with an Injury as well. I think I would try and Keep Danny over paying Lance 13 million a year. Of course that could turn into a disaster if Lance takes that as motivation to turn into Michael Jordan, or the other we pay him that and he never develops.

I am glad I dont have Larry's job.

Is it true that for the luxury tax to be in effect they would have to finish next year above the tax? Like if lance is signed and that puts us over into the tax we would have the whole season to find a way to get under it?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    Is it true that for the luxury tax to be in effect they would have to finish next year above the tax? Like if lance is signed and that puts us over into the tax we would have the whole season to find a way to get under it?
    Would have till trade deadline next season.

This was talked about when Grizz was getting under last year.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

get rid of ian and cope, somehow, and we should be fine.... Stephenson is too important of a piece to let go

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Would have till trade deadline next season.

This was talked about when Grizz was getting under last year.
    That would give some breathing room depending on the deal lance gets, granger isn't an obstacle for resigning lance, the writing is on the wall. The only thing preventing lance from returning is him getting a near max deal from another team.

As long as we have Roy, PG, and Frank..the Pacers have a shot at a championship.

To me this season, they are the favorites. They should win. That doesn't mean they have a window. This team will likely be the best defensive team in the league so long as those three are a part of the organization, and that'll always give a team a shot in the playoffs.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why do you think the Pacers have no interest in Granger at all? If the team can't keep Lance why wouldn't they want to keep Granger? It is unlikely that you will find someone better than Granger. To add to that Granger wouldn't have to learn the system or how to play with the other players. It would be idiotic to not want to keep Granger no matter what happens with Lance.

I think Bird will quickly know if Lance can be kept and decide if he needs to move on or not. If we do move on I'd think Granger would be our next choice. He's better then any player we could get with the MLE and we can pay him more then the MLE due to his Bird rights. It's possible that both players will net more then we can afford but I doubt if Danny goes for more then 7 mil in the free agent market. I would have sworn this scenario would have been the opposite before the season begin.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    If it were me I would trade Copeland for a future draft pick, we are not using him and his best position is the 3 where we have enough players. I would also send Solomon Hill and maybe even Donald Sloan that's 5,386,003 in room right there leaving us 13.6 million, Try and re sign Both Lance and Danny if we can get Danny for a low enough cost but no so low its insulting to him. Pay Lance a starting salary of 10 Million and Danny the rest.
    I am glad I dont have Larry's job.
    I hope we can trade Copleand for a 2cd. but I think we may have to throw in a pick if we wait until next summer. We teams know you have to dump salary to stay under the LT, that service comes at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    There is absolutely IMO 0% chance they let Lance get away I believe. And Granger is not a substitute for Lance nor will he want to play for what I think the Pacers will value him at. Even if Lance wants nothing to do with the Pacers and bolts, giving a contract to Granger that he would be satisfied with would be detrimental in finding a replacement that is 50% of what they'd be losing in Lance. Granger is not in any way shape or form a suitable consolation price for losing Lance.

Granger simply doesn't fit into the plans IMO because he'll cost too much for what he brings and he's going to be one of the easiest pieces to jettison and keep salary in check to afford what they'll need to pay Lance.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    There is absolutely IMO 0% chance they let Lance get away I believe. And Granger is not a substitute for Lance nor will he want to play for what I think the Pacers will value him at. Even if Lance wants nothing to do with the Pacers and bolts, giving a contract to Granger that he would be satisfied with would be detrimental in finding a replacement that is 50% of what they'd be losing in Lance. Granger is not in any way shape or form a suitable consolation price for losing Lance.

Granger simply doesn't fit into the plans IMO because he'll cost too much for what he brings and he's going to be one of the easiest pieces to jettison and keep salary in check to afford what they'll need to pay Lance.
    If Danny wanted a large contract I would agree with you, but I dont think that he would. Number one, whose going to give him a larger contract? He's probably looking at a MLE type of contract at best right now and I think that works well for what the Pacers can give.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The premise of this piece might work if the Pacers were in the West. But in the East, where the only other contender is aging very rapidly, the Pacers are still Lloyd Christmas.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Lance is still very young. Try to talk Lance into a 3 year $27 million deal (3rd year player option), then give him a longer and more expensive contract when he has matured, and hopefully Danny would be happy enough with a cheap MLE 3 year agreement (also 3rd year player option) until he can prove that he can stay healthy. Let Scola go and try to bolster the 4 with young talent to make sure that both Lance and Danny are able to be kept.

Wake up, Chandler.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Dumb BR article. Our star is 23 and we've got a great coach. Our window is huge.

This is why I do not understand the David West contract. Why pay him 12 million a year for 3 years. They should have played hardball with him and made it a 12-10-9 scenario. His role on the team is going to diminish every year. You don't over pay for guys in their 30's. I can't stand the idea that in 2 years we will be paying 12 million for a guy who will average 10 and 5.

As for Lance, they are not letting him get away. You have to have 3 guys who are special on a contender. They will cut Scola and that will be enough to sign Lance. Copeland will be the back up 4 next year, and it will work just fine because Lance will be driving and dishing when plays with the 2nd unit. And OJ and Soloman will have to pick up their games to contribute at the 2 and 3 positions.

If the Pacers do not make the Finals, then all bets are off in my opinion and you'll see Hill traded on draft night, because right now he is way too inconsistent for 8-9 million a year. THey can find a spot up shooter who plays D for much less than 8 million.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This is why I do not understand the David West contract. Why pay him 12 million a year for 3 years. They should have played hardball with him and made it a 12-10-9 scenario. His role on the team is going to diminish every year. You don't over pay for guys in their 30's. I can't stand the idea that in 2 years we will be paying 12 million for a guy who will average 10 and 5.

As for Lance, they are not letting him get away. You have to have 3 guys who are special on a contender. They will cut Scola and that will be enough to sign Lance. Copeland will be the back up 4 next year, and it will work just fine because Lance will be driving and dishing when plays with the 2nd unit. And OJ and Soloman will have to pick up their games to contribute at the 2 and 3 positions.

If the Pacers do not make the Finals, then all bets are off in my opinion and you'll see Hill traded on draft night, because right now he is way too inconsistent for 8-9 million a year. THey can find a spot up shooter who plays D for much less than 8 million.
    I agree with you about Hill, but not about West. Yes West will be older, but the intangibles and toughness he provides make him worth the contract IMO. It is no coincidence the Pacers turnaround coincided with Frank becoming coach and West being signed.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think eventhough not a game changer for us, Draymond Green could have been a factor for us last season. I don't understand the drafting of Miles when we had Pendy. Green could have stepped in when Granger went out and would have been an upgrade over G. Green and Young.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I too, believe West could end up being the odd man out. I think he is more important to the team than G. Hill, but is more tradable than G.Hill. The Pacers should have structured West contract where he was paid a lot this year and it dropped over the years. The hold up with trading West would be it'd have to be done at the deadline this year to get an expiring back and it isn't going to happen. This being said, I think having lance of the team for another 5 years is bigger than having west for 2.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

The easiest solution is just moving Copeland. That will allow us to offer Lance a competitive offer.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Given the comments that Vogel ( I think ) and Bird have made about Copeland...my concern is that the backup PF position will be filled by Copeland if the plan is to let Scola go.

As to the expected question of how one may feel about having Copeland as the Backup PF to West......I will give a response that I cannot form any type of "reasonable and well-informed" opinion of having Copeland filling that role since we haven't seen him do it on a regular basis. Copeland ( for now ) has only been a very expensive "break out the cigar" or "wave the white flag of surrender" type of Player......only getting garbage minutes. To be fair, no one should really say that Copeland can ( or cannot ) fill that role without seeing him actually play as the Backup PF on a regular basis alongside the rest of the 2nd unit.

But based off of my initial "gut" feeling...I'm not going to lie...I'm not comfortable with Copeland filling the backup PF role. I don't think that it will be as bad as Hansbrough being the backup PF....

I just pray that Copeland REALLY works on his mid-range jumpshot this season.

Working on his "D" is mandatory as well.

Moving a player to free up salary takes another team who has the cap, who is willing, and who wants what you want to trade whether it's Mahinmi, Copeland, GHill, or DWest. It isn't impossible, but in all likelyhood it will take some sweetner to get the deal done. A 2nd rd pick might not be enough sweetner to get a deal done.

It's not as easy as some feel it is.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

sav

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Factual error in the article - Copeland is on an ending contract next year, same as Scola and Watson (and NOT the same as Mahinmi).

Anyway, I don't think that article adds anything new. Basically it's analysis that we've gone over on PD a zillion times. Well ok, the author tacked on a sensationalist headline on top, but really as several people have pointed out, our championship window is open as long as we have PG, Roy, and Coach Vogel. Nothing to see here.

I do think it would be interesting to ask PD members to rank the starters in terms of importance from 1-5. This might help answer the question "If we have to lose one starter, who should it be?"

36. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I do think it would be interesting to ask PD members to rank the starters in terms of importance from 1-5. This might help answer the question "If we have to lose one starter, who should it be?"
    1 - PG
    2 - Hibbert (permanent top 2 status b/c of interior defense)
    3 - Lance
    4 - West
    5 - Hill

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: