Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul George Needs More Marketing

Default Re: Paul George Needs More Marketing

Paul's been marketed well. We don't have that many nationally televised games and he was 3rd in all-star voting. High popularity-limited exposure (relative to other superstars/teams)=well marketed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Who gives a ****, really? I couldn't care less if he didn't shoot another commercial in his life, as long as he keeps playing well and keeps doing so for the Pacers.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a bit of a feedback loop that leads well-publicized players to draw fans to teams leading to more publicity which draws more fans ... etc.

In particular, a player with national exposure who sells jerseys nationwide can be the key to getting games on TNT or ABC.

I don't care about the commercials, either, but a nationwide fanbase couldn't hoit.

That said, for this year advertisers were looking at PG as a guy who couldn't even draw enough to help his team sell out their own arena last year. Given that, he wasn't going to be considered a nationwide draw.

He busts a move or two as an ASG starter and things take off.

This guy gets it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Melo is the only reason the Knicks are even talked about, only reason they get 59,000 national games a season.
    That explains why Knicks got national games before Melo was a Knick. Knicks had a Xmas game in 2009 when they finished 29-53.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo

I was at Walmart the other day and I saw one of those NBA Fit fruit displays where they try to promote eating fruit for kids. On the side, they had PG24 on the side...along with the other more "Brand Name" NBA Players like Dwight, Griffin, Durant, Melo, etc. When I saw that...I was surprised.

Could the NBA do a better job of marketing PG24? Sure they can...but I think that they have taken a step in the right direction and the marketing of PG24 has already begun.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Maybe he doesn't get commercials because he's a bad actor who can't stop staring at the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Maybe he doesn't get commercials because he's a bad actor who can't stop staring at the camera?
    You mean George Hill? lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really hope PG get's on 2k15's cover though
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why does he need to do more commercials? Why does it matter? Honestly I prefer it when the athletes on my favorite teams don't do commercials.
    Agree. I'm all for guys on my favorite squad not whoring themselves out for marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    Agree. I'm all for guys on my favorite squad not whoring themselves out for marketing.
    SMH....Marketing brings...Casual fans, more jerseys sold, make Indianapolis good place for FA to play for now that we have a star, MORE NATIONAL GAMES,ect, Ect, ECT...I mean damn, isn't this what we always wanted?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG has about as much marketing this season as I would expect. It wasn't until the Heat series that anyone outside of Indiana really payed much attention to him. He got his NBA commercials. But this year he has been hot from the start. And people have noticed. Hence the 3rd most votes for the ASG. But we are also mid season. Guys don't have the time to be making commercials right now. Expect to see more PG commercials and marketing next season, when he has the full off season of being a star.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul's already in a few NBA commercials. Pacers have never been in very many local commercials.

He received the 3rd most votes in the entire league, even casual fans know who he is and like him. That is completely awesome, no Pacer has ever come close to that.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

A lot of the guys you're comparing him to who have a higher profile have had name recognition for years going back to college like Steph at Davidson and Kyrie at Duke. Paul George was basically a complete unknown to anyone who's not a regular NBA fan until April of 2013. He's blown up so quickly it's almost impossible for him to be at the center of a national ad campaign.

I think starting next offseason Paul George will become one of the faces of the league. First, he's good looking. My wife is obsessed with him and Scola and will only watch Pacers games if one of them is in. He's also great in front of a camera and a good interview. The way he's plays basketball (a lot of dunks and threes) is really fun.

By next season we'll all probably be sick of seeing Paul George commercials. It just takes time for a get to get a reputation that marketers think they can translate into something that sells products.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    A lot of the guys you're comparing him to who have a higher profile have had name recognition for years going back to college like Steph at Davidson and Kyrie at Duke. Paul George was basically a complete unknown to anyone who's not a regular NBA fan until April of 2013. He's blown up so quickly it's almost impossible for him to be at the center of a national ad campaign.

I think starting next offseason Paul George will become one of the faces of the league. First, he's good looking. My wife is obsessed with him and Scola and will only watch Pacers games if one of them is in. He's also great in front of a camera and a good interview. The way he's plays basketball (a lot of dunks and threes) is really fun.

By next season we'll all probably be sick of seeing Paul George commercials. It just takes time for a get to get a reputation that marketers think they can translate into something that sells products.
    If this is the case, I don't think we can call him a superstar.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this is the case, I don't think we can call him a superstar.
    Why? Because he can't make commercials during the season?

Mood

SMH....Marketing brings...Casual fans, more jerseys sold, make Indianapolis good place for FA to play for now that we have a star, MORE NATIONAL GAMES,ect, Ect, ECT...I mean damn, isn't this what we always wanted?
    SMH.....
    NO! It's not what I want. I'm for winning a championship, not for a popularity contest. It could be me and only 10 other fans in the whole arena...win a ring, and I'm good. And, IMO, marketing any Pacer player won't be the reason a FA will come here. It will be a combination of cash and being a perennial contender.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George is virtually the only superstar that doesn't get the publicity as other players..Curry has PLENTY of commercials as hell as Harden (and hes no superstar, but i can see the whole beard thing being his gimmick). The only commercial he got was the NBA fantasy league..this guy should be all over tv..or at LEAST during NBA games..what's the deal?
    I prefer the team approach. Much like SC requesting PG exclusive interview, and he stated unconditionally it would have to be a team interview.

Guy has plenty of money, prefer he focus on basketball and not his acting skills.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

He'll probably get more ads after the season, especially if he makes the Olympic team.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

@Pacers24Colts12