Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George Needs More Marketing

Default Paul George Needs More Marketing

Paul George is virtually the only superstar that doesn't get the publicity as other players..Curry has PLENTY of commercials as hell as Harden (and hes no superstar, but i can see the whole beard thing being his gimmick). The only commercial he got was the NBA fantasy league..this guy should be all over tv..or at LEAST during NBA games..what's the deal?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George Needs More Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George is virtually the only superstar that doesn't get the publicity as other players..Curry has PLENTY of commercials as hell as Harden (and hes no superstar, but i can see the whole beard thing being his gimmick). The only commercial he got was the NBA fantasy league..this guy should be all over tv..or at LEAST during NBA games..what's the deal?
    Newly on the scene as opposed to having been hyped from day 1.

Let's see where he is next year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The guy is an all star starter. Didn't he get the second most Eastern Conference votes, second only to Lebron?

The guy has made tremendous leaps. He has become completely mainstream to any NBA fan.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Newly on the scene as opposed to having been hyped from day 1.

Let's see where he is next year.
    Nah, Curry's been in the league for awhile and just got hot (nationally) last season so I can't go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The guy is an all star starter. Didn't he get the second most Eastern Conference votes, second only to Lebron?

The guy has made tremendous leaps. He has become completely mainstream to any NBA fan.
    This is why I'm flabbergasted. A guy with 1,211,318 votes, 275,616 more than MELO so fans know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Yeah and I don't understand why we need PG to do commercials.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Nah, Curry's been in the league for awhile and just got hot (nationally) last season so I can't go with that.
    Curry was a hyped player - though at the low end - prior to getting hot because of his background. You are also making my point because Curry was hot LAST year and has commercials THIS year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Curry was a hyped player - though at the low end - prior to getting hot because of his background. You are also making my point because Curry was hot LAST year and has commercials THIS year.
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. Paul did the same thing but not only did he go to the playoffs, he went 7 in the ECF against Lebron, went superstar mode this season AND got 3rd in votes of ALL players so why Curry get more publicity?

What do you want ?? He's in promos. He gets plenty of mention on the sports networks. You want him pimping out Hyundai's or Uggs or the local bank ??

Maybe he's happy with things the way they are. Maybe he doesn't have the need to have himself splashed all around the place. As for Curry - i don't see him on anything other than the occasional promo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. Paul did the same thing but not only did he go to the playoffs, he went 7 in the ECF against Lebron, went superstar mode this season AND got 3rd in votes of ALL players so why Curry get more publicity?
    Because there's a difference between being successful and being a standout. PG was successful last year. He is a standout this year.

Plus there's that "how many people do you draw to your ad by featuring someone in a small market" thing going on.
    BillS

Do we care? Paul is doing more than fine financially, and the team is playing winning basketball. True NBA fans know his talent, and the casual fans, if they don't know, will very soon. However, all-star numbers indicate they do. James Harden took off last year, and he wasn't in a bunch of commercials either, just how it works.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    What do you want ?? He's in promos. He gets plenty of mention on the sports networks. You want him pimping out Hyundai's or Uggs or the local bank ??

Maybe he's happy with things the way they are. Maybe he doesn't have the need to have himself splashed all around the place. As for Curry - i don't see him on anything other than the occasional promo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6AAAvc9MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8374g64kCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbsbYkDSUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukWFmNWeF2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVlaklq8l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYEHUOpwNvE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjx-dO0G7KM

NEED I SAY MORE? And he's not even as accomplished a George. PG is our market and if we to have to Pacers shine (although winning does it) we need our FACE out there doing ****.
    Last edited by 31Since1990; 01-24-2014 at 11:41 AM.

I guess I'm not the market that Curry is marketed to.

Then again, I don't get influenced by people pushing products. I guess it's just the impressionable youth that they're trying to go after ?? Don't know - to be honest - don't care. And did you give a moments thought to the possibility that PG is content with things as they are ??

Sports Logo

Curry had some amazing huge explosion games last year, I believe we will see PG getting more and more commercials. PG's big coming out was the playoffs no one paid any attention to use before then. Now all of the sudden he is getting tons of votes from casual fans you can bet he is getting offers right now.

This is why I'm flabbergasted. A guy with 1,211,318 votes, 275,616 more than MELO so fans know.
    I don't know about the local NYC market, but it's not like Melo's face is plastered all over ads.

There's only a handful of guys that get the national recognition with marketing. Tim Duncan never broke through. It doesn't say anything about their basketball ability.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

He's plenty recognized....commercials and stuff will come with time.
    On the Lance bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't know about the local NYC market, but it's not like Melo's face is plastered all over ads.

There's only a handful of guys that get the national recognition with marketing. Tim Duncan never broke through. It doesn't say anything about their basketball ability.
    Melo is the only reason the Knicks are even talked about, only reason they get 59,000 national games a season.

do you do anything but complain?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    do you do anything but complain?
    Only during working hours.

I agree. Inferior players like Carmello, Griffin, and Kyrie get way more publicity
    David "And One" West

Is now a good time to point out that just before the MIA/LAL tipoff last night, TNT and the NBA ran an All Star game featuring just PG?

Or the NBA/Yahoo Fantasy Basketball spot?

Or his NBAtv BIG spot on crowds?

Or the feature spot in the NBA Tipoff spot (This little light of mine....)?

Throw in that this has happened over about the last 4 months or so....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

A shoe deal is what solidifies a player as relevant in the national spotlight these days. Hopefully after this season Paul can sign on with Nike or Adidas. Then the commercials can be him promoting his shoes. Notice though, that comparable "breakout stars" such as Harden, Curry, and say Lamarcus Aldridge do not have shoe deals either. So, if PG lands a shoe deal, expect his national publicity to skyrocket.

^^ Nah. It won't be enough. I think he's looking for something like PG hosting the evening news, the Tonight Show or Wheel of Fortune.

Why does he need to do more commercials? Why does it matter? Honestly I prefer it when the athletes on my favorite teams don't do commercials.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why does he need to do more commercials? Why does it matter? Honestly I prefer it when the athletes on my favorite teams don't do commercials.
    There is a bit of a feedback loop that leads well-publicized players to draw fans to teams leading to more publicity which draws more fans ... etc.

In particular, a player with national exposure who sells jerseys nationwide can be the key to getting games on TNT or ABC.

I don't care about the commercials, either, but a nationwide fanbase couldn't hoit.

That said, for this year advertisers were looking at PG as a guy who couldn't even draw enough to help his team sell out their own arena last year. Given that, he wasn't going to be considered a nationwide draw.

He busts a move or two as an ASG starter and things take off.
    BillS