Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is NBC making the same mistake again?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Why is NBC making the same mistake again?

So I guess Fred Armisen is going to lead Seth Meyers's band on his Fallon replacement. That sounds pretty awful. That's the antipathy of chemistry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every time i see the title of the thread i think it is about the Olympic coverage even though I know the topic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How was Fallon's show?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How was Fallon's show?
    I forgot to watch or record it... Was sick last night so bed was early.
    I've seen exactly one FB review though and it was very positive.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

THought the debut was really good. I watched most of it, but fell asleep toward the end. Didn't get to see U2 second performance.

I think Fallon will be great. He has a certain gravitas about him and he comes off as a loveable goof ball. Where as Conan always came off a bit pretentious to me, even if he was funny.

Fallon does great at skits, so even if the guest line up sucks he can make great skits. He also always did great audience participation bits, hope he is able to keep it up.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I wonder if truth be known if NBC was never happy with Leno for some reason? Or maybe it was just a constant question of 'What if' since Letterman went on to a successful run on CBS opposite the Tonight Show.... something that was long questionable at best until Letterman showed it could be done.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wonder if truth be known if NBC was never happy with Leno for some reason? Or maybe it was just a constant question of 'What if' since Letterman went on to a successful run on CBS opposite the Tonight Show.... something that was long questionable at best until Letterman showed it could be done.
    I think its more of NBC has a stragety of trying to promote its own stars as much as possible. The Tonight Show had always been its own thing even if it was under the NBC umbrella. Now with Fallon on board its an NBC brand, its now at 30 rock. Seth Meyers, another NBC product is on late night. All the Saturday Night Live crews go on to star in NBC sitcoms.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Apparently Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show is a whole lot like Jimmy Fallon's Late Night except with an updated, but similar styled, set. Not that there's anything wrong with that but there doesn't appear to me to be much changed at all to try and be closer to the previous mold that both Leno and Conan seemed to aim for.

So the question is.... Will that work at the 11:30PM time slot? Is that what harmed Conan (trying to morph into a preconceived idea of what the Tonight Show should be)?

------

-John Wooden

Apparently Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show is a whole lot like Jimmy Fallon's Late Night except with an updated, but similar styled, set. Not that there's anything wrong with that but there doesn't appear to me to be much changed at all to try and be closer to the previous mold that both Leno and Conan seemed to aim for.

So the question is.... Will that work at the 11:30PM time slot? Is that what harmed Conan (trying to morph into a preconceived idea of what the Tonight Show should be)?
    Should be fine, he is doing what he is good at.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Pretty good editing work here from last night's TS with Jimm Fallon:

------

-John Wooden

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Fallon's writers are stupendous, genuinely. Outside of musical bits the guy has absolutely zero talent, he's not quick, he's not witty, he's just flat not funny (in my opinion obviously) on his own. The announcer/sidekick guy he has is far better than he is off the cuff. If he looked like Letterman, and didn't give Lorne Michaels good head, that dude would still be getting booed off stage at open mic nights.

The dude is so out of his element. I don't meant to make it sound more serious than it is (which is not at all), but you've got to get serious every so often when you're manning The Tonight Show. You get 8 or so minutes with the sitting president, every term, usually multiple times.

Whatever, Leno just always lobbed up hanging curves I guess, won't be much different I suppose. At least Conan could sugarcoat it with a political knowledge that'd make a legit presidential scholar grin. I'm just bummed Late Night's so commercialized, give Charlie Rose The Tonight Show.

Also, Free The Roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Fallon's writers are stupendous, genuinely. Outside of musical bits the guy has absolutely zero talent, he's not quick, he's not witty, he's just flat not funny (in my opinion obviously) on his own. The announcer/sidekick guy he has is far better than he is off the cuff. If he looked like Letterman, and didn't give Lorne Michaels good head, that dude would still be getting booed off stage at open mic nights.

The dude is so out of his element. I don't meant to make it sound more serious than it is (which is not at all), but you've got to get serious every so often when you're manning The Tonight Show. You get 8 or so minutes with the sitting president, every term, usually multiple times.

Whatever, Leno just always lobbed up hanging curves I guess, won't be much different I suppose. At least Conan could sugarcoat it with a political knowledge that'd make a legit presidential scholar grin. I'm just bummed Late Night's so commercialized, give Charlie Rose The Tonight Show.

Also, Free The Roots.
    Fallon has slow jammed the news with The president atleast twice. The FLOTUS has been on his show over the years 3-4 times as well. He does great with political figures, because he doesn't treat them like politicians! Could you ever imagine Laura Bush or Even Hilary Clinton giving you the history or Mom Dancing? All Leno ever did was set them up with corny one liners.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Fallon's monologues, IMHO (and caveat: I've only caught two of them) have been disappointing. The normal show schtick is not much different than his Late Night show (and fine) but I think the monologues will need to be tweaked which could simply be shortened (so they don't stand out like a sore thumb when they are off) or better writing or just less trying to appease the 11:30 crowd. Then again, I can't say I really saw Fallon's LS monologues to know if they were any better.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I don't know why he bothers with a monologue. Just start off behind the desk or walk right to it as the crowd applauds, and use that time for an extra something else. It could still be something topical.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Fallon has slow jammed the news with The president atleast twice. The FLOTUS has been on his show over the years 3-4 times as well. He does great with political figures, because he doesn't treat them like politicians! Could you ever imagine Laura Bush or Even Hilary Clinton giving you the history or Mom Dancing? All Leno ever did was set them up with corny one liners.
    All of that is a gigantic problem for me. The guy's an even bigger lightweight than Leno. I don't know, maybe I'm working my way towards being a curmudgeon and late night talk shows aren't held in the same regard as they used to be.

But seriously, give Charlie Rose The Tonight Show.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fallon's monologues, IMHO (and caveat: I've only caught two of them) have been disappointing. The normal show schtick is not much different than his Late Night show (and fine) but I think the monologues will need to be tweaked which could simply be shortened (so they don't stand out like a sore thumb when they are off) or better writing or just less trying to appease the 11:30 crowd. Then again, I can't say I really saw Fallon's LS monologues to know if they were any better.
    this has always been my biggest gripe with Fallon. Even on his late show, he just seemed lost up there during them. i hadn't watched him in quite some time, I hoped he would have grown into the role a bit better by now, but I guess not.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    All of that is a gigantic problem for me. The guy's an even bigger lightweight than Leno. I don't know, maybe I'm working my way towards being a curmudgeon and late night talk shows aren't held in the same regard as they used to be.

But seriously, give Charlie Rose The Tonight Show.
    For the life of me, I cannot remember the last time I watched any of the national broadcast late night shows. Imo, they have always been about the same content wise, it's just that now there is not only more competition but honestly better quality entertainment from various sources. That and my sense of humor has changed over time or evolved past the standard late night options.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

http://tvline.com/2014/02/22/nbc-her...rn-miniseries/

NBC to Revive Heroes With 13-Episode Miniseries — Will Any of the Original Cast Return?

Heroes Reborn MiniseriesYatta!…? NBC’s Heroes shall be reborn, with an event miniseries from creator Tim Kring.
    The Peacock network has ordered 13 episodes of a new standalone arc titled Heroes Reborn, with all storyline and character details currently being kept under wraps. The miniseries will air sometime in 2015, preceded by a web series that will introduce the characters and new storylines.

The following teaser ran during NBC’s coverage of Saturday’s Winter Olympics:

“The enormous impact Heroes had on the television landscape when it first launched in 2006 was eye-opening,” NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke said in announcing the project. “Shows with that kind of resonance don’t come around often and we thought it was time for another installment.
    “We’re thrilled that visionary creator Tim Kring was as excited about jumping back into this show as we were and we look forward to all the new textures and layers Tim plans to add to his original concept,” Salke continued. “Until we get closer to air in 2015, the show will be appropriately shrouded in secrecy, but we won’t rule out the possibility of some of the show’s original cast members popping back in.”
    The news comes 10 months after TVLine reported that MSN was pondering a continuation of the series as part of a push for its Xbox platform.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Lots of Americans like to see the President look, you know, Presidential. If I wanted to see non-funny cheerleading, I'd watch Chris Matthews.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I hope Milo (and his family) and the guy who played Hiro return. That's it. But give Milo his original powers back.

They ruined the bad guy by making him good. They ruined the cheerleader by making her whine for 3 seasons. They ruined the "guy with the horned rim glasses" too. They kinda ruined Hiro too, cause we never got to see him progress to his future badass self.

I'm fine with less action, but please develop the characters this time, not keep them the same for 3 damn seasons!

Hell, I'd be fine if they picked up right after season 1.

Alas, I think we'll see an entire new cast....
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

I would bet anything that CNN is talking to Leno right now about taking over for Piers Morgan.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Upon reading the whole first part of the thread about how the proof is in the ratings, it's pretty funny to see Fallon dominating the ratings like nobody's business.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Upon reading the whole first part of the thread about how the proof is in the ratings, it's pretty funny to see Fallon dominating the ratings like nobody's business.

I don't think that him dominating at the beginning is very surprising to anyone. There is a huge newness factor. If he is still dominating in three months, then he will deserve major props.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Conan also had really good ratings at the beginning, and they just continued to fall off.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I agree that its not a huge deal and of course he will fall off some, but he still has ratings that are very impressive even for a first week. I don't watch TV live, so unfortunately I havent watched either for a while, but I liked both Leno and Fallon. But I think the network is in better shape right now than it was for the previous changeover.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014