View Poll Results: Comfortable w Pacers offering Lance the following contract?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6-8 M

8 5.97%
  • 8-10 M

57 42.54%
  • 10-12 M

50 37.31%
  • 12-14 M

14 10.45%
  • 14+ M

5 3.73%
  • Do not re sign and look elsewhere

0 0%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance?

Default Re: What are you willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do realize Scola is getting paid 10mil this year and 11mil next year. How do you replace that with some scrub. Also Bird gave up Green, Plumlee and a 1st for him because of the great value in Scola, you don't throw that away. There are other options to be made.
    Scola makes $4,508,504 this year and $4,868,499 next year. His contract next year is not guaranteed, which is why waiving him clears up space for Lance.

Bird gave up all that for Scola because he wanted to go for a championship this year and he wasn't getting that done with Green or Plumlee. If he wants to continue to contend, he's not going to do that by keeping 34-year-old Scola over 23-year-old near-All-Star Lance.

Look, I like Scola. But Lance is not only more important NOW but also in the future.
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 01-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    What he and his agent needs to understand is Granger is a competent replacement if Lance and his agent want ridiculous money.

But the current Granger isn't a competent replacement for the current Lance. Granger cannot pass, score, push the ball, and rebound like Lance. Lance is simply a superior player to Granger at this point. I'm not trying to rip on Granger, because he has been a solid wing off of the bench. But it is what it is. Not only is Lance great, but he also makes his teammates better. Lance's agent will also be able to sell the fact that Lance and PG are the exact same age and could potentially play their entire careers together.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scola is one of the top front court mid-range shooters in the league. He would be a starter for many teams in the league. Granted, Scola does not creat his shooting opportunities; most of his made shots, especially mid-range, are assisted. He simply is very good at putting the ball in the basket.

It is very unlikely that the Pacers could replace Scola with another player in the league capable of providing scoring from the locations on the floor that Scola can score from. Copeland cannot carry Scola's shoe strings, let alone fill his shoes.

If one were to talk about David West, he is also irreplaceable, although for other reasons. He can score inside and out, he can rebound and defend, create his own scoring opportunities and he leads both on and off the court.

CJ is one of the best PGs we've had on the team in many years... and he is only the backup at the position! He is not a player that our bench can afford to lose either.

If we need to shed salary by eliminating some of the greater bench salaries, the first to go will be Copeland, not Scola. The second will be Mahinmi. Granger's and Butler's salaries are not on the books next year, although one or both could be re-signed.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    Scola makes $4,508,504 this year and $4,868,499 next year. His contract next year is not guaranteed, which is why waiving him clears up space for Lance.

Bird gave up all that for Scola because he wanted to go for a championship this year and he wasn't getting that done with Green or Plumlee. If he wants to continue to contend, he's not going to do that by keeping 34-year-old Scola over 23-year-old near-All-Star Lance.

Look, I like Scola. But Lance is not only more important NOW but also in the future.
    You are very wrong, Rockets pay the rest of his contract.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This isn't as easy as one may think....especially for everyone's favorite scapegoat in the Starting Lineup.

Whose going to replace GH in the Starting lineup?

Lance? If it's Lance that will be the Starting PG....whose going to be the Starting SG and/or SF? Are we going to find one for the remaining Salary cap space after re-signing Lance ( which won't be that much left to spend )?

Also....unless you want to trade GH before this year's Trade Deadline ( in 3 weeks ), trading GH after February 20th would mean that we'd have to make Salaries match in any trade starting in the Offseason and therefore add Salary to the 2014-2015 books ( which you don't want to do ). The only option after the trade deadline is to trade GH to a Team that has enough Salary Cap space to absorb GH's contract without sending anyone back...which I still think is near impossible to find without costing the Pacers any additional assets.

As I said...it's always easy to scapegoat GH and say dump him ( even in favor of Scola...which IMHO doesn't make any sense ) but...it's not as easy and clear cut when you begin to see how difficult it would be to do that.

If anyone in the 9 man rotation that will be cut...it would be Scola. I hate to lose him cuz he's IMHO a good Value Player for what he does...but cutting Scola ( cuz of his unguaranteed 2014-2015 Salary ) is the easiest way to clear enough Salary to make a big enough offer to Lance.

One of those 9 players is Granger. Can the Pacers re-sign Granger even if they let Scola go with paying Lance a near max salary?

Then what about being able to re-sign Hibbert?

Not aiming this at you, so don't think I am. Too many are only looking at the present with no regard to the future.

Mood

I'd sign lance to a 5 year 50mil with incentives built in. I'd also trade Dwest this summer for a promising young PF. Have Scola start. Sign Jordan Hill this summer. Let Danny walk. This will give Pacers financial flexibility for the future to keep the core intact (ie Roy Hibbert).

Hibbert / Mahinmi
    Scola / J.Hill / Copeland
    P.George / Copeland / S.Hill
    Stephenson / G.Hill / Johnson
    G. Hill / Watson / Sloan

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    You are very wrong, Rockets pay the rest of his contract.
    That's technically correct, but for our salary and cap purposes the numbers Aw Heck provided are what counts.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

One of those 9 players is Granger. Can the Pacers re-sign Granger even if they let Scola go with paying Lance a near max salary?

Not aiming this at you, so don't think I am. Too many are only looking at the present with no regard to the future.
    Meh. Paul/Lance/Roy all making 30% max with 10 other guys making vet minimum and you're a lock for 10 championships, easy. Right? Right?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    That's technically correct, but for our salary and cap purposes the numbers Aw Heck provided are what counts.
    True, but you don't let a 10 - 11mil guy walk to save 3 mil and then go out and pick up a scrub for a mil. to ultimately only save 2 mil. Scola is not your typical 4 mil guy, he is 10 mil. Period! Pacers have much better options.

You keep the best bang for the buck, we are lucky to have Scola for that contract, you don't throw that away!!!
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 01-24-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but we are definitely paying Scola 4.5 million dollars a year, the Rockets are paying the remainder of his original contract.
    @qandrews9428

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but we are definitely paying Scola 4.5 million dollars a year, the Rockets are paying the remainder of his original contract.
    That is correct

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/luis-scola/

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Same question applies to letting Lance walk. Who replaces what he brings?

I believe Paul George can more than adequately fill the SG position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post

Another backup PF? They're everywhere. Slow-footed PF's who can hit a mid-range jumper are not that hard to find.

REALLY!

Then why didn't the Pacers have one prior to getting Scola? Why did Bird have to trade his 013 1st rd pick Plumlee and the 014 pick to get a b/u PF then?

THEY AREN'T EVERYWHERE!

[QUOTE=beast23;1775663]

Copeland cannot carry Scola's shoe strings, let alone fill his shoes./QUOTE]

Great post!! I especially liked this part of it. LOL!

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Whatever keeps us able to pay Roy when he opts out after next year. That's the far, far bigger problem that's coming.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

REALLY!

Then why didn't the Pacers have one prior to getting Scola? Why did Bird have to trade his 013 1st rd pick Plumlee and the 014 pick to get a b/u PF then?

THEY AREN'T EVERYWHERE!
    Backup PFs ARE everywhere. Scola is a great one and would be a starter on a bad team. But my goodness, if the Pacers chose to keep two declining players on the wrong side of 30 over a dynamic, improving 23-year-old...I don't know where to start. It wouldn't be keeping Kendrick Perkins over James Harden bad, but it would be in the same category.

I LIKE SCOLA. I swear I do. I would keep him and let Lance walk if he commanded more than $12 M. But if the options are keeping a freaking backup PF and a 1-time All Star with surgically repaired knees that's notorious for slow starts over a shooting guard whose presence has helped create one of the best starting lineups in the NBA over the last two years and continues to improve, you keep the shooting guard. You keep the shooting guard if you want to compete now and long-term.

The Spurs have been playing fat Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner at backup PF and they seem to be doing OK.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    My question: Are you guys willing to get rid of Scola this summer to make the $ work, if that's what it takes?
    Absolutely and without question. Scola is already going to be 34. He will be done soon.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pay Lance 10M/yr (if I had it). If he gets any better, which could happen if he improves his shot further...his pay check will rise further.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    But the current Granger isn't a competent replacement for the current Lance. Granger cannot pass, score, push the ball, and rebound like Lance. Lance is simply a superior player to Granger at this point. I'm not trying to rip on Granger, because he has been a solid wing off of the bench. But it is what it is. Not only is Lance great, but he also makes his teammates better. Lance's agent will also be able to sell the fact that Lance and PG are the exact same age and could potentially play their entire careers together.
    Yes, Lance is playing like an all-star on a fairly regular basis. Danny is shadow of his former self. On top of that, Lance is currently playing as well as Granger ever has played when you account for his assist, rebounds and complete game. Danny's 20+ppg happened on sub .500 teams that specialized in the 3 point shot. That's not good basketball as we saw in the JOb era.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Again, someone will have to run the numbers based on the assumption that GH is dumped for literally nothing ( which I think will be near impossible to do and would cost the Pacers assets that they cannot afford to lose ) and Lance is signed to some $12+ mil Starting Contract.

I mentioned this already in another thread. I think that the Pacers will have more options and flexibility when it comes to making a MAX level offer to Hibbert while retaining Lance at whatever price he is eventually paid ( even to the tune of $12 mil ). Unlike this upcoming offseason....the Pacers have far more Capspace in the 2015-2016 offseason since CJ, Copeland and Scola come off the books. It will be difficult to fill the roster....but not impossible.

Look at what the Spurs have done and you can see what direction this Team would have to take....essentially build around a core set of Starters with Mix-N-Match Players that fit their System and role.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

What am I willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance.... what ever Larry feels is right for the team.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Anyone who thinks Lance is making less than 10m a year is hilarious. IF we get him for 10m a year that will be a steal! Dude is leading the league in triple doubles and is our most consistent player all year. If G hill gets 8m a year, that pretty much tells you that Lance will at least get 10. I will be so happy if Lance gets 10 that will be such a good deal for our franchise.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 01-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    My question: Are you guys willing to get rid of Scola this summer to make the $ work, if that's what it takes?
    Anyone who would rather have Scola than Lance needs their head checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Anyone who would rather have Scola than Lance needs their head checked.
    If it were just Scola then you're right but it's not. It's would you rather have Lance or Danny, Scola and Hibbert. I think I'd take Danny, Scola and Hibbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Anyone who thinks Lance is making less than 10m a year is hilarious. IF we get him for 10m a year that will be a steal! Dude is leading the league in triple doubles and is our most consistent player all year. If G hill gets 8m a year, that pretty much tells you that Lance will at least get 10. I will be so happy if Lance gets 10 that will be such a good deal for our franchise.
    The bold times 10. David West, at nearly 34, is being paid 12M/yr. Yes, he's worth that. Lance's value is in that neighborhood. Goodness gracious we paid Troy Murphy about that much to help win 40% of our games.

Lance > Granger and Scola (combined) all day long. I love what Lance and Granger bring to the table, this is the best Pacers team we will probably ever see but we have to be realistic going forward.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post: