View Poll Results: Comfortable w Pacers offering Lance the following contract?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6-8 M

8 5.97%
  • 8-10 M

57 42.54%
  • 10-12 M

50 37.31%
  • 12-14 M

14 10.45%
  • 14+ M

5 3.73%
  • Do not re sign and look elsewhere

0 0%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question What are you willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance?

Lot of discussion about Lance's upcoming contract this offseason. Personally I think his value will become clear in the postseason in terms of what he will likely get paid, ie how players perform in the playoffs often go along ways in determining payouts (reference Hibbert 2 seasons ago and Paul last season - both had huge postseason performances that increased their value).

Its been posted by some that we should pay Lance whatever it takes to keep him in a pacers uniform. I think that's out of the realm of possibility for a small market franchise but to even suggest Lance get paid more than DWEST to me is just nonsense imho.

I know we got several lance threads but simply interested in what many on here feel comfortable with seeing the Pacers pay to Lance this upcoming offseason.

Until I see Lance mature on several levels, esp in regards to him making smart passes as opposed to SC highlight passes I am not ready to see the Pacers commit 20% of their cap room to born ready. Albeit I hope he is back next season, I don't believe this Franchise can afford to invest a significant portion of cap space and still have a competitive roster, specifically as it pertains to the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What are you willing to see the Pacers pay to keep Lance?

I know I am in the minority, but I think Lance is a big time benficiary of the system and players around him. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player, but at times he can self distruct and his aggressiveness can hurt the team. I like Lance and would be comfortable re-signing him at about a 7-8 million dollar pricepoint, but any more than that? See ya.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said $10-12 million, which is where I think his price ends up. Any higher than that, and that contract makes me awfully nervous.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

When I look at questions like this, I look at the "market" and what similar players at the same position are making.

I look at guys like Demar Derozan, Aaron Afflalo, and Wes Matthews are making and I think that somewhere between 8 and 10 Million makes the most sense. When we start talking about paying another guy more than 9-10 Mil/yr on a team that already has a few high priced guys and has to watch the bottom line closely, then it makes it tough.

Lance is obviously playing at a high level this year and has been really impressive. But at the same time, (as other posters have pointed out) I think he benefits by the players he's playing with.

If we do end up paying Lance more than $10 mil/yr, then we will need to get used to seeing the type of bench that we saw last year, because we would be lucky to be able to afford that moving forward.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

$10m per on average.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

$14M+? Three max guys on the same team?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $14M+? Three max guys on the same team?
    I don't see Bird paying that amount. He likes Lance but that is too much.

I think 8-10 million at most.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

11. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Whatever it takes. I want to win.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

can we merge these lance contract threads
    Impossible Is Nothing

Assuming he keeps up this level of play (currently 13.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 5.2 apg), I see his salary floor as $10 million/year. As I mentioned in another thread, Lance's average stats are very similar to Nicolas Batum's, who signed a 4-year, $44 million contract last year. So I see Lance getting a similar deal.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

Until I see Lance mature on several levels, esp in regards to him making smart passes as opposed to SC highlight passes I am not ready to see the Pacers commit 20% of their cap room to born ready. Albeit I hope he is back next season, I don't believe this Franchise can afford to invest a significant portion of cap space and still have a competitive roster, specifically as it pertains to the bench.

When have the Sports Center highlight passes ever cost the Pacers a game? He usually only does them when we are blowing a team out, which makes it seem like he does it all the time since we are always bulldozing teams. But when we're playing a close game against a top opponent, he is much more secure with the ball. The two games against the Heat this year are a perfect example. He only had 2 turnovers in each of those games. That's very good considering the Heat play very suffocating defense against the Pacers. I don't remember Lance doing anything overly stupid in either of those games, which tells me that he understands that there is a time and place for the Sports Center passes. If dumb passes from Lance cost us a game against the Heat, then I'll be the first to criticize him. But it hasn't happened yet. You can be confident that Vogel has made it very clear to him that there is a time and place for the showy passes.

I could care less if he has a couple of dumb turnovers when we're up 20 against the Wizards. He's just trying to entertain the crowd and give them something fun to go home with.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

My question: Are you guys willing to get rid of Scola this summer to make the $ work, if that's what it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    My question: Are you guys willing to get rid of Scola this summer to make the $ work, if that's what it takes?
    Yes because Scola is only going to get slower and even more un-athletic. I like Scola a great deal and would have loved to have him on this team for a multi-year deal several years ago. Lance makes the second unit go, and he is young. There are plenty of bigs out there who could be had for cheaper deals who can also hit the pick and pop mid range. We are paying Scola around 6 million this year? Heck I'd imagine that Copeland will come in and play the back up 4 spot next year and give us the same production.

I'd like to see the Pacers get a bit younger or more athletic at the back up 4 spot.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Whatever it takes. I want to win.
    Those two statements cancel eachother out at some point. Lance isn't good enough to receive "whatever it takes" type of money. If some team foolishly throws near max money at him, we don't need to offer the same amount. If we did, then we see a lot of changes to the roster, and we become a team with a few high priced good players, and zero depth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

In short, yes.

I like what Scola brings, but I think replacing his contributions would be easier than replacing Lance. But at the same time, I think Copeland or Ian would be moved first.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't like it but I would be willing to. I don't think Scola has a long-term place on the team. His veteran savvy and scoring are nice, but not at the cost of a major contributor like Lance. Scola is replaceable.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Those two statements cancel eachother out at some point. Lance isn't good enough to receive "whatever it takes" type of money. If some team foolishly throws near max money at him, we don't need to offer the same amount. If we did, then we see a lot of changes to the roster, and we become a team with a few high priced good players, and zero depth.
    But at the same time, the Miami Heat sign talented guys who want to chase a ring to minimum contracts. So if the Pacers make it to the finals this year, then there will be plenty of talent wanting to come chase a ring in Indiana for a year or two.

Yes. To me, at some point we need to address our lack of athletic 4 man. D.West is getting older, and Scola will only get worse at this point. Scola at $4.5 mil this yr is okay. But Scola at 4.6 mil next year is a bit steep only because I imagine that at some point the wheels will completely fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    But at the same time, the Miami Heat sign talented guys who want to chase a ring to minimum contracts. So if the Pacers make it to the finals this year, then there will be plenty of talent wanting to come chase a ring in Indiana for a year or two.
    The only talented player they've been able to sign has been Ray Allen. And he's getting paid 3.15 mil a yr..not a minimum contract.

The guys on minimum contracts; Birdman, Rashard Lewis, Michael Beasely, Greg Oden all came with baggage or injury concerns and probably needed the Heat as much as the Heat needed them.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If that's literally the only way to keep Lance, then yeah. Scola will be 34 next season while Lance will be 24.

I hope it doesn't come to that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The difference between $10 mil and $14 mil is $4 million. Copeland makes $3 mil last year. Green made $3.5 mil last year. Are we really going to balk at re-signing Lance just so we can have some extra money to throw at a guy who could potentially be a bench warmer? Spending a bit extra on Lance is a much better investment.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I guess the real answer is 1 dollar more than it takes to keep him.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

The question is would you be willing to get rid of Scola AND Danny... If Lance goes elsewhere then Danny will be resigned...

If it were at the cost of just Scola, then yes... but I would prefer Danny and Scola to Lance if it came to that...
    Last edited by bballpacen; 01-24-2014 at 11:03 AM.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

I cannot accept losing Lance just so we can have enough $$$ to fill out the bench with a Dhantay Jones, Earl Watson, Gerald Green, Ian Mahinmi, or Chris Copeland.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

i would not cut Mahinmi though, he is a good defender and not easily replaced.

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post: