Thread: For those still on dial-up

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default For those still on dial-up

WOWEEEEE

I just signed up for the Accerlator on my Dial-up ISP (chilitech). $4/mo and wow is this great!!! No change to my normal service but about a 5 min download and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Somehow it compresses files for faster browsing and it keeps some switches open (that normally go off/on/off/on.....anyway...this is sweet.

My total bill is now $16.50/mo. (paid a year in advance) I'm trying the 14 day free trial and wow!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Default Re: For those still on dial-up

Yeah I did that with Talkamerica, $14.95 a month. I think what it does is compresses data, sends it, then reopens it once it gets to your PC. Mine is called Turbo.

Mood

I just encountered my first problem tho. I tried to respond to your other post with a smiley. I clicked the (more) button and got an Internet Explorer message. SOmething about encountering a problem with ad-ons and needing to shut down. Happend twice so it wasn't coincidence.
    Darn...can't use smilies from home I guess.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

PistonsDynasty

You guys need to just move up to DSL. It's only $21 a month. Just $5 more then what you are paying now.

Some of us don't have DSL or broadband available - wish I did.

My accelerator at times blocks any web pages from opening - click on a link and the "page not found/available" comes up. I turn off the accelerator and it's fine - then I can turn it back on.

Not sure why - just a note of caution. Other than that it's great - esp the reduction in image quality which helps save a LOT of time.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

It depends on where you get it. I pay 39.95 for mine but I have a 1.5 line. We are getting the new fiber optic lines here this year and they will be 10X what I have now.

But it is worth every penny. Check with your phone company and see when they are getting fiber optic if they say a year or more go get a cable modem they are better than basic dsl.

My only options for DSL would be satellite DSL which is pretty salty - $70/mo plus the satellite fees (which I don't have right now) - figure over 100/month.

Ain't worth it - I'll wait on SBC.

Sports Logo

No satelite dsl is not worth it.

PistonsDynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on where you get it. I pay 39.95 for mine but I have a 1.5 line. We are getting the new fiber optic lines here this year and they will be 10X what I have now.

But it is worth every penny. Check with your phone company and see when they are getting fiber optic if they say a year or more go get a cable modem they are better than basic dsl.
    For most regular users all you need is a 1.5 line and that's pretty damn fast!! You can't get Yahoo DSL in your area? Because it's much cheaper.

I still can
    t believe there are people in the USA still using dail-up. WOW, my DSL comes with dail-up for free. Maybe I can make a deal with someone and they can throw me a few bucks and I'll let them use my dail-up account since I never use it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsDynasty
    For most regular users all you need is a 1.5 line and that's pretty damn fast!! You can't get Yahoo DSL in your area? Because it's much cheaper.

I still can
    t believe there are people in the USA still using dail-up. WOW, my DSL comes with dail-up for free. Maybe I can make a deal with someone and they can throw me a few bucks and I'll let them use my dail-up account since I never use it.
    Wow, is DSL really that slow? My cable blows that away. I play alot of first person shooters online and I ping in the low 40's. If I test the speed on an online bandwidth speed test, I'll go over 3Mb upload and just under 2Mb download.

The thing about the cable/dsl argument is that while cable offers faster speeds usually, it's shared between the users in your local area so the more people the slower the speed.

DSL is dedicated(sorta) so you're likely to get a more even "result". Of course you can luck out like me, I have cable and noone in my apartment complex but me has it so I sit on download speeds of between 400-600kb/s (Kilobytes, not kilobits)

Not only am I stuck on dialup but I am lucky to get 31.2 and 28.8 is more common. My lines are clean and I have 2 lines here and both are the same speed.

When our area got DSL I was all ready to sign up...thinking my only snag might be how they calculated distance. That's when I learned I am behind a 'gain pair'. That's why my 56K modems have never been past 31.2. I believe there might be more modern 'gain pairs' that don't limit 56K modems but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is I am more at the mercy of the telco than I realized.

I know Cinergy has/had some plans for broadband using powerlines. I have a feeling I'll see that before I see DSL here.

And cable has no plans to string anything out this way and that is something I don't understand. Maybe 20 years ago it didn't make sense to do it but there are many more houses out here now and they are behind the same 'gain pair' as me. I can't imagine people not lining up for the cable broadband service if it was offered. That would easily trump the satellite tv and dialup we get now.

Satellite internet is just way too expensive IMHO.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

ReggieMiller8325

i have comcast.net and browse with mozilla about 50 bucks a month.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMiller8325
    i have comcast.net and browse with mozilla about 50 bucks a month.

and I have a son headed for Cathedral High School at about $800/month. I gotta stick with what I can afford.

you at $50 me at $16.50.

although I could see with his homework load how faster speed might save him time, htere has got to be a trade-off somewhere.
    Now, for years I've heard how prices have got to come down, etc. When does that happen???

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Not only am I stuck on dialup but I am lucky to get 31.2 and 28.8 is more common. My lines are clean and I have 2 lines here and both are the same speed.
    26.4 here - live 7 miles from the nearest server - just something I've learned to live with.

It's OK unless someone posts a movie file (or when images get too big but the accelerator helps with that a LOT).

The other time it gets bad is when it's really wet. I have buried phone lines here which is good when there's ice but I have to think a lot of water screws the signal up - voice snaps, crackles and pops and if I can get on at all it's something truly horrible - like 4.8 or 7.2