Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case Study: 24 point loss to the Suns...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Case Study: 24 point loss to the Suns...

Has anyone noticed that most of our losses are blowouts? Meaning a team had to play out of their mind and have their best game of the season to beat us?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone noticed that most of our losses are blowouts? Meaning a team had to play out of their mind and have their best game of the season to beat us?
    Out of our 8 losses, 5 have been by double figures. That's certainly interesting.

I tend to think it is when the Pacers don't or can't for whatever reason bring the necessary energy to win a game. Plus aren't 5 of our losses on the second of a back to back.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I tend to think it is when the Pacers don't or can't for whatever reason bring the necessary energy to win a game. Plus aren't 5 of our losses on the second of a back to back.
    Yes and I believe 3 are the 4th game in five nights

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Yes and I believe 3 are the 4th game in five nights
    And that is why when I analyse the schedule I probably look at the back to backs, 4 in 5 nights, long road trips as what makes the schedule tough as much or more than who the opponent is.

It is no coinsidence that we probably played our best of the entire season on the recent 4 game homestand, where there were no back to backs, no travel for about 11 days. You get plenty of rest and practice time - that makes a huge difference, and I would contend that it makes a bigger difference for the Pacers than most teams - rest and practice time. We need energy to play our game and we need to be together and practice time brings our game together

Yeah, that's a good point. There have been a few teams who have just shot out of their mind to beat us.

First loss of the season against Chicago: They still had D-Rose back then and were clearly fired up to play us since we had just beaten them in Indy. They couldn't miss from three and Taj Gibson played like Charles Barkley.

Loss @ OKC: We had just beat SA the night before. OKC with a healthy Westbrook is probably just a better team than the Pacers, especially when they are at home. We were just killed by an elite opponent that night when we were tired from the night before.

Loss @ Toronto: We just played like crap in that game.

Loss @ Atlanta: No Born Ready and again played like crap.

Loss @ PHX: They shot an insane 11-16 from three.

We've only lost three close games this season: @ Por, @ Mia, Det. In order to beat us, you basically have to be shooting out of your a** on a night where we look like complete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Loss @ PHX: They shot an insane 11-16 from three.
    Is 11 3pters really that great of a performance or is it just the FG%?
    11 3's seems pretty average for a good shooting team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Is 11 3pters really that great of a performance or is it just the FG%?
    11 3's seems pretty average for a good shooting team.

Portland leads the league in threes with 10 per game. So yeah, 11 made threes in a game is a lot. Phoenix averages 9.5 a game, so they beat their average against us.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...FieldGoalsMade

Quote Originally Posted by Powww View Post
    They couldnt miss a shot, the first half looked like they were playing NBA Jam on Sega with the ball on fire. Everything they shot went in. Add their energy and lack of ours, and this is what happened. We shouldn't be worried at all by this, it happens. We not going to win em all.

What we should be worried about is Ian Mahinmi not being good at basketball. He isn't good at anything. Scola threw him that pass under the basket and it was a wide open dunk, and he just fumbled it out of bounds. I wanted to set my TV on fire. Seems like a great person and God bless him for that, but man I hate seeing him on the floor playing basketball.

AND..............................that's why Larry Bird ALMOST had Robin Lopez in the off-season traded here. If New Orleans was not looking for a trade that had them taking back no salary. But they were, because they wanted to sign Tyreke. So they chose to trade Robin to Portland. But rest assured, Larry knows exactly what you know. That our back up center position is truly our only MAJOR weak link. That's why Bynum's name keeps coming up. I would be comfortable with trading Ian in a deal that gives us a better backup big, and signing Bynum as a third stringer who if he works his but off in the weight room, and continues to get healthy can become a second stringer MAYBE. What if we could get Monroe from Detroit? What would it take to get him? I imagine Detroit would want something major from us. Unless it's a 3 team deal. Where they get what they want mostly from another team, send us Monroe, and we send them maybe Solo or Orlando along with Ian.
    Last edited by Grimp; 01-24-2014 at 02:50 PM.

^^ SMFH...............

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    To be fair, Hill was injured last night. Vogel wasn't even sure if Hill would play. He was a last minute decision and he was obviously slowed down from the injury that he picked up in GS. His D isn't overrated at all. If anything it is underrated in this forum.

Then why was Hill playing when it was obvious he was a liability? Hill can't guard quick PG, and we've seen it ever since he donned on a Pacers uni.

I could just as well say Hill's "D" is overrated on PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

The opinions on his defense vary.

If some rate him as the best defensive point guard in the NBA. Yes that is overrating him.

If some rate him as a top 5 defensive point guard in the NBA, then yes that is overratating him.

If some rate him in the top 10. That is questionable and he might be around tenth.

If some rate him between 10-15. that is probably about right.

I would rate him around the 10th best.

Pacers ask him to do a lot, leaving him on an island on pick and rolls as Roy sags back into the lane. That is tough.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Then why was Hill playing when it was obvious he was a liability? Hill can't guard quick PG, and we've seen it ever since he donned on a Pacers uni.

A few things about this post:

1. Dragic is NOT a quick PG. He's a PG with size who has a good dribble/hesitation move. Dragic is the type of player that utilizes timing/length to get to the basket a lot more than he does quickness. So the fact that he had a good game against Hill doesn't help the argument that Hill can't guard quick PG's.

2. Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Jeff Teague, Tony Parker, D. Rose, Mike Conley, Isaiah Thomas, and Kemba Walker are some of the quickest PG's in the league, and all had below average shooting/scoring games against the Pacers, with Irving, Wall, and Walker having horrible games. 4 of those players I just listed are AS players this year. Hill guards the other teams PG's. I don't think its a coincidence that THIS many players at that position scored and shot poorly against the Pacers. Hill is a fine defender, and this year has been his best defensive year since he came to this team.

3. Because of our defensive system (chasing the guard through the screen) a good mid range shooting PG with the size/skill to make contested shots is going to do better than other PG's against us. This is why Westbrook, Lillard, and Dragic had good games against us. But even out of those 3, only Westbrook really killed us from the field (Lilard shot poorly but got to the FT line)

4. GH isn't the type of PG that blitzes the ball handler, applying pressure and causing disruption. He's a positional defender. He doesn't allow many open shots, and he has to play more one-on-one defense against opposing points than maybe any other PG in the league. To do that night in, night out, in today's NBA is tough and something that shouldn't be taken so lightly.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 01-24-2014 at 04:05 PM.