Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forbes: Pacers value increased from $383M in 2013 to $475M in 2014

Default Re: Forbes: Pacers value increased from $383M in 2013 to $475M in 2014

Maybe Simon can sell to a rich owner who isnt afraid to go into the luxury tax.

I would think that there are team valuation factors that consider the level of fan support.

One year ago it was not clear that even an average level of fan support, in terms of attendance, concessions, merchandise, TV ratings, all of this, was something that was possible for this franchise. Any 3, 5, or even 10 year study would not suggest it to be the case.

Now it is clear that such support can be gained. It's not automatic, but it can happen. If the seats continue to be filled and the jerseys keep getting sold, then the value stands to keep going up, moreso than the actual profits resulting from the tickets and merchandise. Call it a consumer confidence factor, if you will.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is why I don't think that the LT is a big deal. If the Pacers have to pay it to keep Lance, then we all know that the CIB will bend over and reimburse them in one way or another. I don't think they've ever told Ir$ay or $imon "no" before.
    Extremely doubtful. In fact, chances of that happening border on the area of .0000000001%. Both the Colts and the Pacers are tied up in long term agreements. They emptied the CIB/City piggy bank during the last round(s), taxes were raised to cover it and there will be no more talk of money until the next round of negotiations. And I am sure they are told "no" a fair amount when they ask for City/CIB resources for this and that which are not specifically addressed in the agreements. Budgets for years have been set and any new money has to come from somewhere and what politician wants to keep going back the public on a regular basis and tell them their food will cost yet 1% more.

I did a lot of research on the CIB during the 2008 operating funds shortage over at Lucas. The CIB is a pot that many more draw from than just the Pacers and Colts. Arts groups, civic organizations, promotion entities to draw visitors and conventions for the hotel/restaurant industries. They have monthly public meetings, public budget disclosure and its all on their website. Its not like they can just write them a check and no one would know.

The only chance that the city would even consider specifically funding Lance's contract, under any ruse, was if a couple of the board members were season tix holders who attended board meetings in #1 jerseys and who could convince the mayor to go to the public to give away (invest if you want) even more tax dollars.

So in other words, going into the LT is all on Mr. Simon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seeker80 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by seeker80 View Post
    Extremely doubtful. In fact, chances of that happening border on the area of .0000000001%. Both the Colts and the Pacers are tied up in long term agreements. They emptied the CIB/City piggy bank during the last round(s), taxes were raised to cover it and there will be no more talk of money until the next round of negotiations. And I am sure they are told "no" a fair amount when they ask for City/CIB resources for this and that which are not specifically addressed in the agreements. Budgets for years have been set and any new money has to come from somewhere and what politician wants to keep going back the public on a regular basis and tell them their food will cost yet 1% more.

I did a lot of research on the CIB during the 2008 operating funds shortage over at Lucas. The CIB is a pot that many more draw from than just the Pacers and Colts. Arts groups, civic organizations, promotion entities to draw visitors and conventions for the hotel/restaurant industries. They have monthly public meetings, public budget disclosure and its all on their website. Its not like they can just write them a check and no one would know.

The only chance that the city would even consider specifically funding Lance's contract, under any ruse, was if a couple of the board members were season tix holders who attended board meetings in #1 jerseys and who could convince the mayor to go to the public to give away (invest if you want) even more tax dollars.

So in other words, going into the LT is all on Mr. Simon.
    Yeah, my comments were mostly in jest. You gave a good overview of the situation though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Now it is clear that such support can be gained. It's not automatic, but it can happen. If the seats continue to be filled and the jerseys keep getting sold, then the value stands to keep going up, moreso than the actual profits resulting from the tickets and merchandise. Call it a consumer confidence factor, if you will.
    And Lance is a big part of that. He brings that extra pizzazz. I have quite a few friends that are fans of other teams, and they now enjoy watching the Pacers and even root for them when they're not playing their favorite teams. And that's saying something, because most of them are moronic Bulls fans. They aren't buying jerseys, but they are buying tickets and concessions. They're watching from home driving up TV ratings.

Outside of Lance, and PG on occassion, the Pacers are bland and boring IMHO. No one else on the roster is exciting to watch, outside the basketball purist view.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, my comments were mostly in jest. You gave a good overview of the situation though. Thanks.
    Its all good. During the 2008 deal I was pretty worked up about how the proposition was so one sided, but it was the City leaderships who decided to invest thru the CIB in these "industries". One could argue about the return, but I think they made a pretty good gamble.

But there is also a limit to what the public will swallow and its best that they/we don't overplay our hands.

Even in the Heart of Basketball Country, there are some who don't know Pick and Pop from picking your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    And Lance is a big part of that. He brings that extra pizzazz. I have quite a few friends that are fans of other teams, and they now enjoy watching the Pacers and even root for them when they're not playing their favorite teams. And that's saying something, because most of them are moronic Bulls fans. They aren't buying jerseys, but they are buying tickets and concessions. They're watching from home driving up TV ratings.

Outside of Lance, and PG on occassion, the Pacers are bland and boring IMHO. No one else on the roster is exciting to watch, outside the basketball purist view.
    Yeah, Lance is definitely one of the biggest fan favorites since Reggie retired. People at the Fieldhouse love Lance. He routinely brings the crowd to their feet. Lance gives the Pacers personality. Pacer fans love him and a lot of opponents/opposing fans don't like him. But everyone pays attention to him and knows who he is. Everyone has an opinion on him.

We're obviously going to win a lot of games with or without Lance, but Lance could definitely be the difference in us having the best record in the league as opposed to having just a really good record. Their are multiple reasons we will blow last year's record out of the water, such as PG's explosion and better bench play. But Lance's explosion is a huge reason to. I just don't buy that we're going to be able to replace most of Lance if he leaves. Coaching has definitely played a huge factor in Lance's development, but the main reason Lance is great is because he possesses a very unique skill set that cannot be coached. Lance is a true talent.

If they don't pay the LT for Lance, then fine. But be ready for potential reduced fan buzz, reduced national buzz, teammates upset that they lost their pal, and maybe a dent in the W/L column. Doesn't seem like an ideal path for a team that has only recently regained it's stature in the local community. It's not my money, but not paying Lance will be a bitter pill to swallow given the amount of money that we shelled out to garbage players over the years, plus the fact that the franchise has been given so much taxpayer subsidies.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they don't pay the LT for Lance, then fine. But be ready for potential reduced fan buzz, reduced national buzz, teammates upset that they lost their pal, and maybe a dent in the W/L column. Doesn't seem like an ideal path for a team that has only recently regained it's stature in the local community. It's not my money, but not paying Lance will be a bitter pill to swallow given the amount of money that we shelled out to garbage players over the years, plus the fact that the franchise has been given so much taxpayer subsidies.
    That's the case whenever any player with a local fanbase and close teammates goes. There will be people (and teammates) upset when Danny moves on. I know people who were upset when Dunleavy was let go (probably not teammates, though ). Few of them decided to just chuck the team because of it.

Lance has moved into this position over part of a single season. To say that Herb needs to bet tens of millions on him because the city expects or requires it is ignoring the realities. I don't know many people out there who think of the Indiana Stephensons and those other guys they can't remember who are on the floor with him.

We get a little confused because the Pacers haven't had this kind of exciting player for years (if ever - previous players one might mention still didn't stir up the constant excitement Lance does). Therefore, we think people are putting their eggs in one basket and that the business of the NBA requires keeping that one player At All Costs. Far too many teams have done that and lost their fans anyway when they mortgaged fundamental parts of their team to keep that one guy.

Besides, what happens if Lance simply decides that he wants to play in the New York spotlight? Will that be blamed on Herb?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I don't think anyone is saying Herb needs to bet tens of millions on him, nor saying he needs to be kept at all costs.

But if the Pacers go up to the LT, and Lance signs for 2-3 mil extra, that's a hard pill to swallow. If someone just gives him a ridiculous contract then you let him walk, but like I've said before, you'd really have to look at the committment Herb has to winning a ring if 2-3 million is too much, which is peanuts in the grand schme of things.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying Herb needs to bet tens of millions on him, nor saying he needs to be kept at all costs.

But if the Pacers go up to the LT, and Lance signs for 2-3 mil extra, that's a hard pill to swallow. If someone just gives him a ridiculous contract then you let him walk, but like I've said before, you'd really have to look at the committment Herb has to winning a ring if 2-3 million is too much, which is peanuts in the grand schme of things.
    Only if you think the cost is the cost only of the additional money paid to Lance. At minimum, even by only going over the initial LT threshold, we'd be talking a $3M LT break equaling about $10M in costs. And if the only possible way to structure it means Roy's next contract pushes us higher into the LT and for more years (so the repeater kicks in), that's some pretty significant expenses that begin to be more than what the CIB kicked in.

All I'm saying is that it isn't quite as simple as "pay Lance an extra few $M and it really doesn't cost that much".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I understand there's an owner in Seattle looking for a team. That'd work for everyone...
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Only if you think the cost is the cost only of the additional money paid to Lance. At minimum, even by only going over the initial LT threshold, we'd be talking a $3M LT break equaling about $10M in costs. And if the only possible way to structure it means Roy's next contract pushes us higher into the LT and for more years (so the repeater kicks in), that's some pretty significant expenses that begin to be more than what the CIB kicked in.

All I'm saying is that it isn't quite as simple as "pay Lance an extra few $M and it really doesn't cost that much".
    But it's only for one year, then you get cap relief.

Scola/Copeland/OJ fall off the books. Solo will have a team option. They'd have $10-15M+ to get a bench and fill out the lineup gaps. Not the greatest, but not unworkable, especially with such a strong starting lineup.

Say Lance gets 11M for that year, you're looking at just south of $66M total. The LT cap for14-15 season is projected to be around $75M, so the LT threshold for 15-16 would probably be around $78M. You'd have $12M to get you 7 players. You can fill your end of the bench guys, say 3 of them, at less than $1M but we'll just keep it even 1M. So you'd have about $9M left with at least 4 spots to fill. It's not the best, but it's certainly feasible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

How much do you think that the Pacers would make from hosting three or four NBA Finals games? My guess is that routinely advancing far into the NBA playoffs would cover a nice chunk of the LT expenses. There's no way to get around the fact that losing Lance would make the Pacers a weaker basketball team. They could still be great without him, but they will have definitely lost something. Lance gives the Pacers a better chance of advancing far into the NBA playoffs and therefore making more money.

Besides, the only people who really understand the whole luxury tax stuff are diehard types that post on forums like this. Most casual observers don't really care about nuances like that. They will go to the Fieldhouse and see that the Pacers are without an exciting young player that they used to have.

It's going to come down to how much ownership values putting the best possible product on the floor. There are a lot of billionaire owners out there who would kill to be in the Pacers' position and would spend whatever it took to hang that championship banner.

While I'm looking at future salary, it should be noted the Pacers only have two players (George Bros.) under contract for the 16-17 season. The Pacers have staggered their salaries nicely. A core of PG/GHill/Lance/Roy will keep you competitive.

How much do you think that the Pacers would make from hosting three or four NBA Finals games? My guess is that routinely advancing far into the NBA playoffs would cover a nice chunk of the LT expenses.
    Assuming an average ticket price of $100 and sold-out 7-game series Finals with HCA gives an additional ticket sales revenue of about $1.85M per game and a total of about $7.4M. Assuming there are absolutely no variable costs associated with the extra games means it covers at most75% of the non-repeater tax. Of course, you'd have to base your decision on the idea that it's a pretty good lock that you get to the Finals with HCA and it goes all 7 games. Once you get into repeater land the fraction drops significantly.

There's no way to get around the fact that losing Lance would make the Pacers a weaker basketball team. They could still be great without him, but they will have definitely lost something. Lance gives the Pacers a better chance of advancing far into the NBA playoffs and therefore making more money.
    Meaning you disagree with Larry that a piece can be found to put in place. Fair enough.

As much as there are players I love and would hate to lose, Lance is not like a LeBron or a Durant or even a Paul George to the extent that losing him means the team will never be as good.

There are a lot of billionaire owners out there who would kill to be in the Pacers' position and would spend whatever it took to hang that championship banner.
    People keep saying that, but how many of them are in Indiana?
    BillS

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    Herb Simon has to easily be in the top half of NBA owners when it comes to net worth.

Assuming an average ticket price of $100 and sold-out 7-game series Finals with HCA gives an additional ticket sales revenue of about $1.85M per game and a total of about $7.4M. Assuming there are absolutely no variable costs associated with the extra games means it covers at most75% of the non-repeater tax. Of course, you'd have to base your decision on the idea that it's a pretty good lock that you get to the Finals with HCA and it goes all 7 games. Once you get into repeater land the fraction drops significantly.

Meaning you disagree with Larry that a piece can be found to put in place. Fair enough.

As much as there are players I love and would hate to lose, Lance is not like a LeBron or a Durant or even a Paul George to the extent that losing him means the team will never be as good.

People keep saying that, but how many of them are in Indiana?

Bird's comments about Lance were mostly GM-speak. If he said that he'd pay Lance whatever it took, then it would look like he put his foot in his mouth if we are unable to keep him. But there's no doubt that Bird wants to keep this kid badly. Of all of Bird's great moves, picking Lance in the second round when no one else was willing to take a chance on him might be his best.

I'm not saying that Lance will ever be as good as Lebron or even Paul George. But Paul George wasn't "Paul George" immediately. Even though PG and Lance came in the same year and are the same age, PG basically has two years of substantial experience over him right now. PG was starting by the end of their rookie season while Lance barely touched the court. In year 2, PG continued to have a substantial starting role while Lance had a very small bench role. It wasn't until last year that Lance had an important role on the team.

I don't know how good Lance will be, but I do know that he has taken drastic leaps in each of the last two seasons. After watching the NBA for years, I also know that it's extremely rare for a good player to peak as young as 23. The best years of Lance are still in the future and there is no telling how good he will be. I want him to be in a Pacer uniform when we find out. Having two wings like PG and Lance is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a franchise. They are the same age, came into the league the same year, and have games that complement each other perfectly. You don't let that get away.

Who are we going to replace Lance with if he leaves? We don't have much flexibility to upgrade from the outside. If he leaves, there is going to be a massive talent downgrade anyway you slice it.

I'll give ownership the benefit of the doubt that they'll do the right thing.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Herb Simon has to easily be in the top half of NBA owners when it comes to net worth.
    He's just outside the top-10. Forbes has 16 NBA owners listed as billionaires.

NBA owners by individual net worth:

1. Paul Allen (Blazers): $15 billion
    2. Mikhail Prokhorov (Nets): $13 billion
    3. Micky Arison (Heat): $5.7 billion
    4. Richard DeVos (Magic): $5.1 billion
    5. Stan Kroenke (Nuggets): $5 billion
    6. Dan Gilbert (Cavs): $3.5 billion
    7. James Dolan (Knicks): $3.1 billion
    8. Herb Kohl (Bucks): $3 billion
    9. Tom Gores (Pistons): $2.6 billion
    10. Mark Cuban (Mavs): $2.4 billion
    11. Herb Simon (Pacers): $2.2 billion
    12. Joshua Harris (76ers): $2.1 billion
    13. Donald Sterling (Clippers): $1.9 billion
    14. Glen Taylor (T-Wolves): $1.7 billion
    15. Robert Pera (Grizzlies): $1.5 billion
    16. Tom Benson (Pelicans): $1.2 billion
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

This is why I as a fan just won't be able to sleep at night if we lose Lance because of LT concerns. Wouldn't paying the LT be akin to chipping off some Simon Mall stock? It won't make a dent to a guy worth two billion dollars.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

That's what TV revenue, winning, and having a superstar does (just ask Cleveland).

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

This is why I as a fan just won't be able to sleep at night if we lose Lance because of LT concerns. Wouldn't paying the LT be akin to chipping off some Simon Mall stock? It won't make a dent to a guy worth two billion dollars.
    My guess is Simons has allocated a certain thresholds to differing enterprises. And with the retail market being uncertain, he can't go off pulling funds from one out of sentimentality sakes. You don't accumulate that kind of wealth by saying, "hey I can afford it lets do it". That type of mind frame causes guys like Sprewell to go broke. Lets say he does throw the 11 million at Lance. Pays 15 million on top of that in LT and lack of revenue sharing. Then you see him go over a threshold (if there is). Then a region decreases in jobs. Which decreases in extra spending cash. Which decreases patrons to the stores leasing at Simon malls. They close the doors. And whamo you have no revenue coming in.

No expansion. No jobs created in other regions.

This is all Lance Stephenson's fault...Well maybe not. But this goes beyond just signing Lance. Simon went into the LT before. Please don't think that Simon is some rich fat cat not wanting to spend his money so we lose our favorite player. There are more variables to this than we know and will ever know.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Where is the link on this? Forbes says as of Septhember of 13 Herb is worth 1.95. http://www.forbes.com/profile/herbert-simon/

Mood

FYI.

David Simon makes 10.5 million a year. Yes the CEO and chairman of Simon Property Group makes less than Danny, David, and Roy.

...but then there are stock options....and bonuses....

http://www.forbes.com/profile/david-simon/

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Where is the link on this? Forbes says as of Septhember of 13 Herb is worth 1.95. http://www.forbes.com/profile/herbert-simon/
    It's a bad year when you lose $250m.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    It's a bad year when you lose $250m.

IN March it said that he was worth that 2.2 Billion. So maybe he had obligatory buyouts in the three months. idk.