Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forbes: Pacers value increased from $383M in 2013 to $475M in 2014

Mood

Exclamation Forbes: Pacers value increased from $383M in 2013 to $475M in 2014

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Forbes: Pacers value increased from $383M in 2013 to $475M in 2014

What is that? An increase in value of more than 20% in one year? I'd have to question the model that gave these values.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

So - one could say that Mr. Simon put an additional 92 million in his pocket.

I think he could go over the tax line juuuuust a little to keep this squad together.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think he could go over the tax line juuuuust a little to keep this squad together.
    IF these numbers actually represent what he could sell the franchise for, and IF he did gain 90 million in one year, it seems logical to reason he could lose tens of million in any given year as well. I doubt he makes any operating decisions based on this number.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie4Three For This Useful Post:

I was interested in this number so I checked recently but 2014 had not been released yet. Compare this number to the JOB era. From what I remember I think it is up well over 200 million since 2009. If they win the championship and smash Miami in the process with the slight chance of winning 73 games, the number could be between 600 and 700 million next year.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

The theoretical worth of something is not the same as money in the pocket.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

22nd in the league most of the increase was because of a league wide increase as a result of the upcoming TV deal.

Although our increase was ahead of the curve

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That's the argument that keeps repeating. The only way that money is available is if the franchise is sold. It isn't useful for operating expenses because to dip into it incurs debt - and the loan value of an asset with very few buyers is not going to come anywhere close to how much it might have been rated by Forbes.

However, now there will be people in the city claiming that Herb stole that increase in value if he doesn't go deep into the LT because, after all, he just got a check for that $90M increase don't ya know...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BBL!

BRING BACK LANCE!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    But how often does something increase in value if it's not making more money?

Over the last year, there's no doubt that the Pacers have increased their ticket sales, concessions, merchandise sales, etc. Now there is the TV dealt to add to that.

The Pacers are making a lot more money right now than they were in prior seasons. The increase in value is a reflection of that.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Over the last year, there's no doubt that the Pacers have increased their ticket sales, concessions, merchandise sales, etc. Now there is the TV dealt to add to that.

The Pacers are making a lot more money right now than they were in prior seasons. The increase in value is a reflection of that.
    Yep. Herb didn't make another $90m this year, but this increase in value directly correlates with an increase in ticket sales, merchandise sales, and general profit increases. The raise in price means the Pacers are making a lot more money.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Note though that we are still only #22 out of 30 on the list. So while the Pacers' (theoretical) value may have risen, so have pretty much all other NBA teams. Even the lowly Bucks (dead last) had a 30% increase. Our revenue isn't great either, significantly below other small market teams like SA or OKC. But hopefully our higher profile this year will help...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

There are a lot of reasons why a business losing money year-over-year might have an increase in (an already positive) value. One (or more) of its assets may have increased in intrinsic value - for instance, property it owns, or its machinery, or its intellectual property - but that doesn't necessarily mean it has a corresponding increase in positive cash flow (i.e. making money).

In this case one of the explanations for the increase of the estimate is that the Pacers' share of the league TV deal has gone up. That's probably not the only thing, and I would certainly believe the Pacers are bringing in more money than in previous years.

The argument stands, though, that a theoretical valuation of something is not a direct reflection of a certain amount of money available to spend. The valuation is only as good as the person who is willing to spend that amount to get it. The fewer the customers, the less likely valuation will match actual sale value - and the more likely the only way to get that money out is to actually sell.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

But how often does something increase in value if it's not making more money.
    It's very common, most notably the value of one's home. The value can go up or down, and it doesn't influence how much money you have in the bank or in your pocket.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

A lot of what goes into these values is potential over the long term. Potential can be a fickle wench.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

The CIB has a pretty good argument to stop making these payments to the Pacers. At this point, the team is very successful, and they are turning a profit without it. (I know this article isn't directly referencing profit, but team values don't go up when a team is struggling to make ends meet)
    Last edited by boombaby1987; 01-22-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    @qandrews9428

29. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's very common, most notably the value of one's home. The value can go up or down, and it doesn't influence how much money you have in the bank or in your pocket.
    Yeah but your home doesn't generate money for you. It's just a home. I should have been more specific with my comments and said "sports franchises" instead of "something". I realize there are some external factors here, but I have a hard time believing that the Pacers would have a substantial increase in value if they weren't bringing in considerably more money. To me, the rise in Pacers' value seems pretty easily explained. More tickets are being sold, more concessions are being sold, and more merchandise is being sold. Since the business is making more money, it's worth more.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    The CIB has a pretty good argument to stop making these payments to the Pacers. At this point, the team is very successful, and they are turning a profit without it. (I know this article isn't directly referencing profit, but team values don't go up when a team is struggling to make ends meet)
    This is why I don't think that the LT is a big deal. If the Pacers have to pay it to keep Lance, then we all know that the CIB will bend over and reimburse them in one way or another. I don't think they've ever told Ir$ay or $imon "no" before.

How would a Franchise possibly rise in potential value if it were losing its current owner money? How can that possibly be explained?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    How would a Franchise possibly rise in potential value if it were losing its current owner money? How can that possibly be explained?
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question.......

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    Besides what Sollozzo pointed out (that a new owner might think he can make money), there are a lot of things that can't be monetized directly but have worth. Prestige, "good will" (in quotes because there actually is a very specific accounting procedure for handling good will as an asset), value of breaking things apart and selling them separately, and so forth.

Losing money in a given year has nothing to do with the actual value of your assets unless you are mortgaging them to pay the debt.
    BillS

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Yeah but your home doesn't generate money for you. It's just a home. I should have been more specific with my comments and said "sports franchises" instead of "something". I realize there are some external factors here, but I have a hard time believing that the Pacers would have a substantial increase in value if they weren't bringing in considerably more money. To me, the rise in Pacers' value seems pretty easily explained. More tickets are being sold, more concessions are being sold, and more merchandise is being sold. Since the business is making more money, it's worth more.
    But you're confusing total value with annual revenue.

Just because it's 'worth' $92M more doesn't mean he's making $92M more every year; that value is spread over a period of returns. The shortest amount of time I'd expect this would value returns for would be 5 years, meaning only an annual increase of $18.4M. A more conservative estimate would probably factor in a valuation over 10 years, meaning the average increase in returns would be $9.2M per year.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Besides what Sollozzo pointed out (that a new owner might think he can make money), there are a lot of things that can't be monetized directly but have worth. Prestige, "good will" (in quotes because there actually is a very specific accounting procedure for handling good will as an asset), value of breaking things apart and selling them separately, and so forth.

Losing money in a given year has nothing to do with the actual value of your assets unless you are mortgaging them to pay the debt.
    I honestly did not know good will is considered an asset. Dont want to de-rail this thread, but if you get a moment I would love if you could message me more about this. I suck at math, but the whole concept is fascinating to me.

On topic, good for the Pacers. I dont think it means much, but its definitely better than having a bad report

Scarcity is a huge piece of the puzzle that I have not seen posted on here. There are only 30 NBA franchises. 30 years ago there were not as many billionaires as there are today. The more billionaires there are, the longer the line is to own an NBA team. I don't think I need to get to deep into Supply and Demand with you all. Most of these guys are hot shots that are looking to compete in something. A sports franchise gives them the opportunity to do just that. Aside from the Donald Sterlings and a few others, it is not all about the Benjamin's. If a franchise was losing tens of millions of dollars and the owner wanted to sell, there would still be a line of bidders, because it gives bored billionaires a release and an opportunity to beat up on other billionaires. So, a sports franchise is a little bit different from a lemonade stand. It is not just revenue plus assets equals value.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

My property value went up on my house...does that mean I will see a check?

This does not mean that now Simon can get into the LT. But it also doesn't negate that either.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: