Thread: Basketball Breakdown: Why Hibbert DPOY, George best perimeter defender

Thumbs up Basketball Breakdown: Why Hibbert DPOY, George best perimeter defender

I'm on my phone right now, can someone embed this for me please?

http://youtu.be/euy6vFfbjQ8

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Basketball Breakdown: Why Hibbert DPOY, George best perimeter defender

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Basketball Breakdown: Why Hibbert DPOY, George best perimeter defender

Great breakdown, thanks for sharing

I could watch the Pacers play defense forever. I just hope we never take for granted what we are watching every night in this defense. It is a beautiful thing to watch. Sure PG and Roy are great defenders, maybe the two best in the whole NBA, but certainly IMO the best combo defenders as a pair in the NBA.

One reason why as a team we are so good is that there are no weak links in the starting 5. Watson and Granger are not weak links. Ian is not a weak link - all three of those guys are good defenders. Only player in the top 9 who is suspect at times is Scola, but he is smart and knows what to do, so he doesn't hurt us bad at all.

But it is also important to not forget that this defense doesn't happen just because we have good defenders. Coaching staff deserves a ton of credit. And sure we can give Frank all the credit, but I think Dan Burke deserves a lot of the credit. He's in charge of the defense and if you ever hear his halftime interviews during the game he expects perfection from his defense.

But it takes a lot of work from the players and coaches to make our team defense so good. As PG said after the Warriors game they start with defense, they drill defense first, they develope defensive habbits, the players trust each other and the coaches to make the defense great.

I think this Pacers defense is as good as any team defense I have ever seen. Not going to say they are better than the 2004 Pistons, or the '99 Spurs, or the Bad Boys or the mid 90's NY Knicks, or the best Bulls defense (probably '93) but this pacers team is as good as any of those.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

And they are so good at it that it looks like they are just reacting to the play, they have clearly drilled this stuff into their minds and muscle memory so much that its part of how they play night in and night out.

UB the Bad boys or 90's Knicks played defense by fouling and getting away with it, I don't think they could do that today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

UB the Bad boys or 90's Knicks played defense by fouling and getting away with it, I don't think they could do that today.
    I don't disagree. The rules changed a couple of different times making it harder for the defense. After the '04 season was one of the times it changed. So not sure the '04 Pistons team could play that style today. but that team could adjust to the new rules and still be a great defensive team.

I guess I was including teams that at the time and against the competition back then and with the rules back then were the best defensive teams I remember.

One thing I always forget as far as rule changes. And this one helps the defense a lot. Zone is allowed. And while almost no team plays zone, they do play a defense that is a loit different from what they could before the rule changes
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-22-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Hard to say which era of teams actually plays the best Defense. Cause offensive has changed alot over the years.
    Teams back in the 90's had alot of mid-range game. Lots of guys could shoot high percentages at the mid-range, and did not dare to jack up 3's. A contested jumper by a good shooter was in some cases a better shot than passing to an open 3. Modern day players are the exact opposite for the most part. They prefer to step back to the 3 pt line even if they are open at the Elbow.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The concept of freezing ball screens instead of hedging and recovering is great! What makes it possible is great weak side help and rim protectors. Bird knew what type of defenders he would need to this scheme and got the right pieces.