Thread: Shooting at Purdue

Default Shooting at Purdue

Glad nothing like this happened when I was there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shooting at Purdue

Pretty depressing, and kind of scary. Especially since I can picture exactly where everything happened, and was just there ~ 8 months ago.

I have a fairly good idea of where most things still are but I think Purdue has changed a bit since I last set foot there.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Shooter's a piece of **** named Cody Cousins. Victim's a senior named Andrew Boldt.

I was shocked to find out the shooter was born in my hometown and then moved to Ohio. So sad the victim was supposed to graduate this Spring

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Had some mutual friends with the victim. Guy was supposedly super nice and often went the extra mile for his students. Heard a story of hin staying up super late to help a student on a project.

Really sad he went like this.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Yes, kind of a weird situation. Seems personal, but I am curious what the actual motive was.

Definitely depressing to think about him being set to graduate in a few months. I was in the same situation a year ago.

I'll be real interested to hear the motive in this case. When I first heard the story, I thought maybe it was a bully situation from the victim, but by all accounts of his personality that seems to not be the case. Why would someone throw their life away over a minor quibble? These things very rarely make any sense. Sigh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be real interested to hear the motive in this case. When I first heard the story, I thought maybe it was a bully situation from the victim, but by all accounts of his personality that seems to not be the case. Why would someone throw their life away over a minor quibble? These things very rarely make any sense. Sigh
    My first thought was probably grades when I found out the guy was a TA. Pressure over grades and college can make people insane.

So sad to hear about how close the victim was to graduation and ready to start a new chapter in his life to have it cut short.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    My first thought was probably grades when I found out the guy was a TA. Pressure over grades and college can make people insane.

So sad to hear about how close the victim was to graduation and ready to start a new chapter in his life to have it cut short.
    I think they were both TAs. Maybe not the same class, but you think there would be some understanding there if grades were a factor.

It's now coming out that the victim was stabbed as well as shot. Even more personal. Another level of brutality in this crime. All over school? Jealousy? Hard for me to fathom.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I think they were both TAs. Maybe not the same class, but you think there would be some understanding there if grades were a factor.
    They were both TAs under Dave Meyer

I read that the shooter is facing 65 years. My question is how anybody can kill another person on purpose and premeditated and get anything less than a life sentence.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I read that the shooter is facing 65 years. My question is how anybody can kill another person on purpose and premeditated and get anything less than a life sentence.
    Do we have any lawyers here who can better explain this? It seems like a case that should be given a capital murder charge, which would carry the possibility of the death penalty. Premeditated, total disregard for human life, etc.

The rumor is this was about a girl. So sad. So unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Do we have any lawyers here who can better explain this? It seems like a case that should be given a capital murder charge, which would carry the possibility of the death penalty. Premeditated, total disregard for human life, etc.
    Because he is white?

But more seriously (though I wasn't entirely joking), the prosecutor can still go for the death penalty down the line. They might not, because that gets expensive. The Google says they have to allege and prove that one of the following occurred. The only one of these that looks to apply is 3, maybe. Not sure. (edit: I should add they also need to show one of these if they want the life sentence instead of the 45-65).

(1) The defendant committed the murder by intentionally killing the victim while committing or attempting to commit any of the following:

(A) Arson (IC 35-43-1-1).

(B) Burglary (IC 35-43-2-1).

(C) Child molesting (IC 35-42-4-3).

(D) Criminal deviate conduct (IC 35-42-4-2).

(E) Kidnapping (IC 35-42-3-2).

(F) Rape (IC 35-42-4-1).

(G) Robbery (IC 35-42-5-1).

(H) Carjacking (IC 35-42-5-2).

(I) Criminal Gang Activity (IC 35-45-9-3).

(J) Dealing in cocaine or a narcotic drug (IC 35-48-4-1).

(2) The defendant committed the murder by the unlawful detonation of an explosive with intent to injure person or damage property.

(3) The defendant committed the murder by lying in wait.

(4) The defendant who committed the murder was hired to kill.

(5) The defendant committed the murder by hiring another person to kill.

(6) The victim of the murder was a corrections employee, probation officer, parole officer, community corrections worker, home detention officer, fireman, judge, or law enforcement officer, and either:

(A) the victim was acting in the course of duty; or

(B) the murder was motivated by an act the victim performed while acting in the course of duty.

(7) The defendant has been convicted of another murder.

(8) The defendant has committed another murder, at any time, regardless of whether the defendant has been convicted of that other murder.

(9) The defendant was:

(A) under the custody of the department of correction;

(B) under the custody of a county sheriff;

(C) on probation after receiving a sentence for the commission of a felony; or

(D) on parole; at the time the murder was committed.

(10) The defendant dismembered the victim.

(11) The defendant burned, mutilated, or tortured the victim while the victim was alive.

(12) The victim of the murder was less than twelve (12) years of age.

(13) The victim was a victim of any of the following offenses for which the defendant was convicted:

(A) Battery as a Class D felony or as a Class C felony under IC 35-42-2-1.

(B) Kidnapping (IC 35-42-3-2).

(C) Criminal confinement (IC 35-42-3-3).

(D) A sex crime under IC 35-42-4.

(14) The victim of the murder was listed by the state or known by the defendant to be a witness against the defendant and the defendant committed the murder with the intent to prevent the person from testifying.

(15) The defendant committed the murder by intentionally discharging a firearm (as defined by IC 35-47-1-5):

(A) into an inhabited dwelling; or

(B) from a vehicle.

(16) The victim of the murder was pregnant and the murder resulted in the intentional killing of a fetus that has attained viability (as defined in IC 16-18-2-365).
    Last edited by dal9; 01-27-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Because he is white?

But more seriously (though I wasn't entirely joking), the prosecutor can still go for the death penalty down the line. They might not, because that gets expensive. The Google says they have to allege and prove that one of the following occurred. The only one of these that looks to apply is 3, maybe. Not sure. (edit: I should add they also need to show one of these if they want the life sentence instead of the 45-65).

(3) The defendant committed the murder by lying in wait.
    I was interested to look up the stats on this, and the anti-death penalty group Death Penalty Focus, lists the breakdown of death row inmates by race.

White 43.15%
    Black 41.83%
    Latino 12.52%
    Other 2.52%

From the initial news reports, it doesn't seem like #3 will apply to him either. I didn't get the impression he was lying in wait, but searched him out and attacked him. Will be interesting to see when it goes to trial.