Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Warriors Post Game Thread

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers Warriors Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Hibbert is extra special for those of us who were watching during his rookie season in 08-09. I remember when it seemed like he would pick up two fouls after being in the game for about 30 seconds. The way that Hibbert has turned into an elite interior defender without fouling is one of the most remarkable things I've ever witnessed as a Pacer fan. Major credit to Hibbert and the coaching staff who obviously spent countless hours on this.
    Somewhere Roy credited the staffer who pointed out to him the verticality rule and completely changed his game (and our franchise). Maybe somebody can dig that up.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was Frank. Just another reason for why he's been a Godsend.

After the game, I asked Roy if there was a moment when he learned to use this verticality.

He didn’t hesitate before answering.

“The summer between my second and third year,” said Hibbert.

Unlike his normal routine since entering the NBA, he stayed around his coaches that offseason. “Instead of going home and working out, I stayed in Indiana,” he said. “Frank [Vogel] broke down some film for me of Dwight doing it.

Hibbert viewed the tape that his then-assistant coach prepared and realized just how effective the technique could be. “I watched it, and did drills over and over again after workouts,” he said. “I’m not just saying it because Frank is the coach [now]. He was an assistant — he wasn’t even the lead assistant. It was just something he threw in there.”

While seeing how well Howard made it work was somewhat of an epiphany, Hibbert said that the notion wasn’t entirely new. Going straight up for a block is something all big men are taught at an early age and something that he had unsuccessfully tried to incorporate into his game more during his rookie year, when he “stood straight up, but they called fouls.”

During that first year in the league, frustrated with constant foul trouble, the big guy changed up his style. “Half way through that, I was fouling too much, so I tried to take charges,” said Hibbert. “Charges weren’t working — I was too tall to take charges, and it messes with your body. So I just went ahead and learned to go straight up.”

With practice has come (near) perfection, and the focus that a young Vogel put in Hibbert’s mind only furthered his ability to maintain the discipline not to foul; instead of initiating the encounter at the rim, Roy now simply waits and absorbs the energy of the penetrator.
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...g-straight-up/
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It was Frank. Just another reason for why he's been a Godsend.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...g-straight-up/
    It is unreal how awesome Coach Vogel is. Just perfect for us.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    If I recall correctly, a basket there would have also given them their first lead and the crowd which was already going nuts would have exploded.
    Nope. We were up 4. A basket there would cut it to 2 or 1 but we'd still have the lead.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

I don't know why people say that Scola had a lot of turnovers. The box score credited him only with 1
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Lance in the first half is the number 1 reason I don't want to make him the "point guard" by name in the starting lineup. And is why Hill's presence is so crucial. Sometimes Lance goes into, time to shoot mode too easily. Interesting stat I saw today from Zach Lowe, Lance's usage rate is only around 19% which when you consider how much he gets the ball with the bench that really makes you realize still how often it is Hill or PG doing the majority of the work with the starters.

Still loved that Lance stayed strong on the boards all game and dump trucking Curry was amazing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The bottom line is that it's no coincidence that the team has done nothing but win since George Hill arrived.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Lance always seem to hit his 3s in the 4th. Should just wait til then to shoot them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I loved how obviously scared Curry was by the end of the game to even put a shot up in the paint. Basically he was terrified of shooting in that area after Roy successfully shadowed him on that first half play where Curry tried to shoot a floater over roy and just shot it completely over the backboard. You could see a look on Curry's face that basically said "Holy **** how did that 7 foot guy shadow me"

Roy's so good on defense that it takes him totally changing a dominant offensive players game over the course of 5-6 plays for me to notice it, but by the end of that game Curry had basically decided if I'm shooting it's going to be a jumper. Where as early on he was trying to attack the hoop. 55 is just so good that most nights there is no offensive player that even makes it really show.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    This...I know there tends to be a little leeway with this but last night took it to new heights...highlighted by a few times at the very top of the circle you had Bogut literally taking two or 3 steps either left or right to stay between Curry and G. Hill til Steph got a shot off....unbelievable...reminded me of the old Knicks where they fouled you every single time down the floor knowing the officials werent going to call a foul every single time
    It's extremely annoying but it is something Jax coaches and that the Pacers team he was on got away with to an extent. Bogut though is downright dangerous about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    It is unreal how awesome Coach Vogel is. Just perfect for us.
    The craziest part is this guy is a disciple of Slick Rick Pitino (who failed in the NBA spectacularly) and Jim O'Brien. Just let that sink in a moment.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The craziest part is this guy is a disciple of Slick Rick Pitino (who failed in the NBA spectacularly) and Jim O'Brien. Just let that sink in a moment.
    Great minds learn first hand from other's mistakes.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Weird floor conditions last night. Too much wax???
    No kidding......seriously...I counted at least 5 times when Players slipped on the floor. That was really wierd.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Lance took questionable deep threes, but I seem to recall they were late in the shot clock. The other quick twos left a bad taste in my mouth, but I don't think they were necessarily bad shots. Teams will always go under the screen against Lance until he proves he can knock down the 15-20 footer consistently. I do wish he'd realize when his shots not falling he can still get to the rim at will instead of getting frustrated and trying to force the issue with his jumper.

The thing that is so bizarre about the story that JOB supposedly recommended Frank to replace him is that JOB recommends the youngest guy on his staff after repeatedly refusing to play the young gusy on the team? I mean what the hell is that, it doesn't make sense.

My opinion I came to as I was bizarrely thinking about this last night, is that JOB didn't realize Frank was going to be good and was just trying to be a troll. The thing I especially love about this theory is that I don't have to give JOB credit for anything good going on with the team.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I feel bad for Roy because at the beginning of the season he was really blocking everything and getting some notice. I mean, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that DPOY is his, but people eat those blocks up. People have just stopped coming into the paint for the most part and have made it almost impossible to get blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Lance always seem to hit his 3s in the 4th. Should just wait til then to shoot them.
    No kidding. Stephenson is money when he's shooting important threes in the last five minutes. Seems like he is always hitting shots then.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeah Lance seems to think he is a great shooter now. I thought he took a number of bad shots. And what is it with him taking long three pointers. A couple I saw were 2 or 3 feet beyoind the 3-point line. There is no reason for him to take those.
    I totally agree here....I was really wondering why Lance was taking so many jumpshots. I looked at his shot chart...and he only made 6 shots out of 17....4 inside the paint ( which I expect ), 1 at the FT line and that 3pt shot in the 4th. The majority of his shots were outside of the paint as jumpshots.

But as I said earlier, I think the Warriors did a good job of closing up any drive penetration to the paint.....which is how Lance usually exploits the defense. There were times when Lance did attack the basket effectively....but I think that this mainly happened when the Pacers were on a fast break and the defense wasn't setup yet.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The thing that is so bizarre about the story that JOB supposedly recommended Frank to replace him is that JOB recommends the youngest guy on his staff after repeatedly refusing to play the young gusy on the team? I mean what the hell is that, it doesn't make sense.

My opinion I came to as I was bizarrely thinking about this last night, is that JOB didn't realize Frank was going to be good and was just trying to be a troll. The thing I especially love about this theory is that I don't have to give JOB credit for anything good going on with the team.
    I give JOB credit for leading by terrible example. Vogel watches how he coaches and manages games, takes down notes, and then writes "DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS!!!" over his notes. If we ever find a complete 100% anti-JOB, we will have found the perfect basketball coach.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I was at the game....I'm glad that the Pacers pulled out the win....cuz seriously, I did not want to see the Team lose.

A few thoughts:

- GH did his best to defend Curry....but I don't know why PG24 was defending Klay most of the night when he should have been defending Curry in the 2nd half once the Ws offense got rolling. I know that it would mean that GH would have to likely defend Klay....but I'd rather have Klay try to beat the Pacers rather than Curry beat the Pacers in a shoot out ( which Curry can do when it comes to a close game ). At some point late in the 4th QTR....Vogel finally switched PG24 onto Curry and IMHO really disrupted his flow and really forced him to try to score.

- Lance did make some really good plays and some good dishes ( including that 3pt shot in the 4th that I think really slowed the Ws momentum )....but he really seemed to have a very quiet game. I'm glad that he was able to pull down a lot of the rebounds, scored in double digits and dished out 7 assists.....but I was waiting for Lance to really take over on the offensive end.....hoping that he'd attack the basket a lot more....but instead...I saw him take a lot of jumpshots that I was fairly confident that he would regularly make.

NOTE - after re-watching the game....it's very possible that the Warriors defense was good enough where they were able to effectively close up and defend the paint...hence make it difficult for drive penetration.

- The only Players that really caused a lot of damage was Lee...he was ( for some reason ) the only Player that attacked the basket and got to the line regularly. Maybe it was just me not noticing...but the Ws took a lot of jumpshots. With shooters like Klay and Curry....that's entirely possible....but it was to the point where it just looked like they were going to shoot their way out of that game to close the gap. Luckily, tonight wasn' the night for that.

- I have no idea how the Ws could figure out how to use Iggy on the offensive end more often....but the Offense consisted of Iggy as a 4th scoring option. I get that he's the defensive stopper on the team...but that just seems like a waste not to use him more in the offense.

- I saw a lot of Pacer Fans at the Oracle Arena rockin' their Old-School Pacers gear...a lot of PG24 Jerseys......and ( most notably ) overheard a lot of respect for the Pacers by Warrior fans. There is the standard "hate" that Bandwagon Warrior fans...but I heard a lot of "damn, this Team is good" from Warriors fans.
    I don't know if somebody's answered this since, but I think the reason Lance was taking jump shots was because the warriors were purposely hanging back off of his screens and giving him the jump shot. It worked for a while, but I think our coaches finally told Lance he needed to assert himself and drive more.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Not sure I get your math on this. You do realize Rondo makes 13 million next year right?
    Thanks. No I was not aware. I was under the impression he was on a flat rate contract at 10 per for the next 3 seasons including this one. Instead, he is at 12 M per this year and 13 next then up for a new contract.

Theres no way I want Rondo at that rate esp coming off a major knee injury.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I loved how obviously scared Curry was by the end of the game to even put a shot up in the paint. Basically he was terrified of shooting in that area after Roy successfully shadowed him on that first half play where Curry tried to shoot a floater over roy and just shot it completely over the backboard. You could see a look on Curry's face that basically said "Holy **** how did that 7 foot guy shadow me"

Roy's so good on defense that it takes him totally changing a dominant offensive players game over the course of 5-6 plays for me to notice it, but by the end of that game Curry had basically decided if I'm shooting it's going to be a jumper. Where as early on he was trying to attack the hoop. 55 is just so good that most nights there is no offensive player that even makes it really show.
    It also helped that PG24 was finally defending Curry one on one at the end of the game.....why he wasn't doing it a lot earlier was really surprising to me. Vogel usually sics his pit bull ( PG24 ) to defend / hound the opposing Team's scoring PG in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    I'm going to regret this... But, I don't understand the joke?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...inslows-arrest
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Are you serious? wow..
    a backhanded personal attack and at same time make yourself the victim in very same breath.. ?

sigh

Anyone here who has been around here long knows and will vouch for my posting history .. and how I treat/talk to people... Even you should know better...

Instead, a lighthearted comment on other thread meant to illicit a smile and a little ribbing amongst what I THOUGHT was a fellow PD comrade, gets turned into a big deal like I personally attacked and severely damaged your psyche and feelings..

So , I'm done here.. so disgusted I'm just gonna take a week or 2 away from this place on my own accord ... It's not worth it to me to get upset..

Sorry guys , but this guy knows how to push all the right buttons.. congratulations PacersPride mission accomplished good job

I have no idea what all this is about and not taking it personal regardless. I understand many on here are fascinated by Lances play. I just don't want to see the Pacers overpay for a guy that is playing to get paid. The trip dubs that Lance is putting up would not be possible on 90% of the other teams in this lg. I realize I am most likely in the minority here but I do not believe Lance is worth over 10 Million.

Knowing darn well if we overpay him our bench is going to suffer significantly. Right now no one seems to have an idea on what Lance realistically will get pd this offseason but like several of you I am guessing some team will come along and overpay. The bulls are already trying to pump up his value it sounds like.

I truly do like Lance, but I am very leery of handing over 10 Million + to a kid that is doing pelvic thrusts and making behind the back passes on a consistent basis. Lance is on his way to becoming a great player if he is surrounded by the right group of guys. His maturity or lack thereof is a big concern for me at 10M+. At 7-8 M not so much. but over 4 years 12 Million give or take is a lotta bread and this team is going to need a bench.

I want to see Lance in BnG next year but not at a whatever it takes to keep him here mentality. I don't think Danny is going to have an offer over 6 this offseason. I cant see any team offering him over the MLE w the unknown of his knee. Danny can most likely be back here at 4-5 M for about two seasons.

long story short, small market franchises have to keep an eye on the bottom line. I hope lance is back next year but like Bird said, if the asking price becomes too steep we will find someone else. my hunch is we could find 3 strong role players if Lance does indeed sign elsewhere for 12 or more.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Not to get off on this tangent, but Rick was pretty successful during his tenure coaching the Knicks. And JOB was pretty successful while coaching the Celtics.

Overall I don't see anything unusual. Rick and Jim are not that much alike in how they coach, so why should we expect Frank to be like Rick or Jim.

I think that is totally unfair and a completely unfounded opinion. I mean really?

edit: OK, I know it was a joke.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-21-2014 at 03:19 PM.