Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

  1. #1
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    I just get tired of hearing it.

    Yes, there were much more superstar centers in the 90's. But there are actually MORE talented centers now.

    Here's all the legit true centers in the NBA today:

    Roy Hibbert
    Dwight Howard
    Joakim Noah
    Tim Duncan
    Pau Gasol
    Marc Gasol
    Andrew Bogut
    Tyson Chandler
    DeAndre Jordan
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Brook Lopez
    Omar Asik
    Nikola Pekovic

    That's just the talented ones... I'm probably missing a few, but off the top of my head..
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    I'd say Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan are more power forwards, but I get your point

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan are more power forwards, but I get your point
    Except they aren't, but I appreciate your misguided input. :-)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  5. #4
    Member pacers27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NWI
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Actually, they are. They log most of their minutes at the 4.
    PG24

  6. #5
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except they aren't, but I appreciate your misguided input. :-)
    You are both right! Several of these players came into the league as PF and have since converted to Centers. Not unlike what many PGs have done... Both of those guys came into the league as PF

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member *astrisk*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    484
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    As did joakim and Tyson Chandler... Tim Duncan is highly regarded as arguably the greatest power Forward in the history of the NBA

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Well Duncan does play more of a PF offensive style than a back to basket center type. Being the tallest guy out there isn't enough, we'd never think of Dirk as a center. Tim and Pau are classic PF/C tweeners based on their style of play.

    But this debate is moot to your bigger point because in the sense this stupid "no centers" comment is made they 100% count. The comment typically means "no focal point bigs that play near the rim a lot" - face up, great passer, or otherwise.

    Ian could probably start for some teams even with the butter hands.


    For those that weren't watching TNT this was just brought up in regards to why they only take "front court" players now - because there weren't enough AS centers. Except every year there is at least one, and homer aside I'd rather see Melo coming off the AS bench and Roy starting just because all those wings will be a bit goofy. I'd love to see Howard just dunk all over Melo trying to guard him till he begs off the court.


    The NFL is the same way. A few years ago the TE was "dead" and only Tony Gonz and maybe 2-3 others played the position. Then it was the FB position that was going to be eliminated. And then some teams looked to change styles and went back to the power game. Teams like the Colts made a habit of running 2 TEs instead of none. Teams looking to control the ground starting using the FB or at least pulled a TE into the backfield to fill that role.

    Sports analysts love to act like we've never seen cycles in team strategy before. Then they try to "fix" the "problem" with suggestions for rules changes, etc. rather than just letting the nature of competition sort it out instead.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-21-2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: back to basket...whoops

  11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  12. #8

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    With Embiid, Okafor, Towns Jr, etc. entering the league in the next couple of years, I think the C position will be in good hands

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:


  14. #9

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except they aren't, but I appreciate your misguided input. :-)
    Gasol and Duncan are more power forwards in my opinion, but I appreciate your ability to accept differing opinions

  15. #10
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gasol and Duncan are more power forwards in my opinion, but I appreciate your ability to accept differing opinions
    I could have the opinion that Barrack Obama is the Prime Minister of England but it doesn't make it true. I accept your opinion for what it is: WRONG.

    :-)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  16. #11
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,637

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    And Anthony Davis. He is a bit more face up right now and is so young and lean he seems like an NBA PF, but going forward he'll bulk up a bit and is already dominating space near the rim.


    The other funny thing is that TNT basically went down the list of frontline guys keeping David Lee off the West AS team and a ton of them were PF/C types.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,891

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Uhh Pau and Duncan are absolutely power forwards. As they have gotten older and slower they have moved to the center position, but looking at their games, they don't play like centers.

    Look back when the league still had the center position for the ASG


  19. #13
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Anthony Davis. He is a bit more face up right now and is so young and lean he seems like an NBA PF, but going forward he'll bulk up a bit and is already dominating space near the rim.


    The other funny thing is that TNT basically went down the list of frontline guys keeping David Lee off the West AS team and a ton of them were PF/C types.
    Yup.

    Players evolve thru out there careers, it's a bit ridiculous when fans can't see this.

    Larry Bird changed positions. Tyson Chandler. Kevin Durant. Tim Duncan. There is a long list tho I don't feel like going over them all...
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  20. #14
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uhh Pau and Duncan are absolutely power forwards. As they have gotten older and slower they have moved to the center position, but looking at their games, they don't play like centers.

    Look back when the league still had the center position for the ASG

    As long as you agree that Paul George and Kevin Durant are 2 guards...

    Also, we're arguing style of play decides what position you play (not what your coach says you're playing at the start of the game lol). So since the Dunking Dutchman loved to face up and shoot 20 foot jumpers he was a powerforward too right??

    Stop. Stupid argument.

    Anywho, moving on.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  21. #15
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Well aren't you just a joy mattie
    DG for 3

  22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,891

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Lol so angry. And last I saw PG and Durant are voted in as forwards.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,538

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol so angry. And last I saw PG and Durant are voted in as forwards.
    And last I checked Duncan is the Spurs starting center... so we agree.

    Back to the topic on hand- The media is dumb.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  26. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by lolwuttermelons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Embiid, Okafor, Towns Jr, etc. entering the league in the next couple of years, I think the C position will be in good hands
    How you gonna leave Turner off that list. I also believe Cliff Alexander plays some C at the NBA level. Both Turner and Alexander are physical beasts. Okafor is just skilled love watching that kid play most skilled C I have ever watched at his current age.


    I agree Duncan is a center. He can guard Cs so I would list him as such.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,891

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And last I checked Duncan is the Spurs starting center... so we agree.

    Back to the topic on hand- The media is dumb.
    Only because every team lists center rather than 3 forwards. Was JO a center in Indiana? No, but he played "center" at times because that's how the NBA has teams list line ups.

  29. #20
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    There is talk that Lebron could start at center during the ASG. So put him on your list of good centers, too.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  30. #21
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except they aren't, but I appreciate your misguided input. :-)
    Remember that time you were trying to be a condescending *** and it backfired when everyone proved you wrong?

    Good times.

  31. #22

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could have the opinion that Barrack Obama is the Prime Minister of England but it doesn't make it true. I accept your opinion for what it is: WRONG.

    :-)
    No idea what your problem is, but you think they are centers, I think they are PF's. Can they play center? Yes. What is their natural position? Power forward. Sorry if you disagree, but apparently your opinion is the only valid one so no point in arguing

  32. #23
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,191

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Gasol is definitely a power forward. Please don't be an *** about your opinion. You clearly disagree, but that doesn't mean you're right.
    Last edited by boombaby1987; 01-21-2014 at 02:38 AM.
    @qandrews9428

  33. #24
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,542

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    This is why I hate that there has to be a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C on the court no matter if you have five C's or 5 PG's. Sometimes teams play 3 guards and 2 forwards. Sometimes they play 2 centers, 2 point guards, and a small forward. When Granger is in there as the "power forward" he isn't playing power forward, he is still playing small forward, just he isn't the only small forward on the court for the Pacers. The current all-star ballot is a good example of why I have never liked the distinction of back-court and front-court, as the front-court includes a back-court player. Wing and post is a much better distinction if you have to limit it to two positions. If I had my way the five standard positions would be point guard, small wing, big wing, high post, and low post.


    Anyways I agree Seth. Duncan is a PF/C tweener. He can fall into either category. I personally think he is more of a C than a PF though. Either way, he is a post player.

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,523

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Most teams now don't even have centers"

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup.

    Players evolve thru out there careers, it's a bit ridiculous when fans can't see this.

    Larry Bird changed positions. Tyson Chandler. Kevin Durant. Tim Duncan. There is a long list tho I don't feel like going over them all...
    Danny Granger and Paul George has changed positions as well. It honestly happens a lot. It's natural.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •