Thread: Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-extra-point/

“The extra point is almost automatic,” Goodell said. “I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (1,256-for-1,261, to be precise). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement with every play. There’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about. It’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six.”

Default Re: Roger Goodell: NFL will explore eliminating the extra point

How soon can Goodell be replaced?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I swear he just wants to make changes for the sake of change.

So not necessary

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

PATs help kickers' confidence?

On the other hand, how many injuries on PATs?

How many ways can they find the ruin the NFL.....jeez.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

The NFL cares so much about player safety and concussions. Not like they want to expand to 18 games and "evaluate" instituting a rewarding 100% effort play.

This won't ever happen so who cares, but the hypocrisy is hilarious.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Extra points are a massive waste of time for everyone.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it's that bad. The proposal mentioned above is not bad either. Makes sense. Will you be pissed off if they eliminate them and instead reward 7 points right away?
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People actually care about the extra point? It is such a boring play that is just an automatic point for the team. There were only 5 misses all season in over 1200 extra points this season. If they got rid of the extra point and made everyone just go for two I would be a little sad because I would miss my bathroom/drink break, but at least it would make it more interesting.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People actually care about the extra point? It is such a boring play that is just an automatic point for the team. There were only 5 misses all season in over 1200 extra points this season. If they got rid of the extra point and made everyone just go for two I would be a little sad because I would miss my bathroom/drink break, but at least it would make it more interesting.

It just seems kind of pointless to make the change I mean some things are best left the way they are unless they are just going to give an automatic 7 after a touchdown.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I would agree it's small potatoes, but if we take tradition out of the equation let's look at the pros and cons:

Pros to keeping
    Five games that are affected a little bit by a missed extra point
    The ability to fake an extra point and try a two point conversion (happens very occasionally)

Pros to changing
    Almost every game is 5 to 10 minutes shorter
    Marginal injury benefit (Gronkowski of course was hurt on an extra point, wasn't a Colts lineman hurt on an extra point against Denver this year?)

I'd rather have the second grouping, but the pros and cons are all so tiny that I don't really care one way or the other. Eliminating the extra point wouldn't really change the sport at all. Moving it back as some have suggested as an alternative would change it quite a bit because then some teams would start going for more two point conversions.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

I think the extra point is a waste of time, and it is also silly to worry much about changing a waste of time.

I do hate extra points though, just another 2 or 3 minutes of downtime between the TD and the KO.

Just make them automatic and make 2 pt conversions into 1 pt conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    I would agree it's small potatoes, but if we take tradition out of the equation let's look at the pros and cons:

Pros to keeping
    Five games that are affected a little bit by a missed extra point
    The ability to fake an extra point and try a two point conversion (happens very occasionally)

Pros to changing
    Almost every game is 5 to 10 minutes shorter
    Marginal injury benefit (Gronkowski of course was hurt on an extra point, wasn't a Colts lineman hurt on an extra point against Denver this year?)

I'd rather have the second grouping, but the pros and cons are all so tiny that I don't really care one way or the other. Eliminating the extra point wouldn't really change the sport at all. Moving it back as some have suggested as an alternative would change it quite a bit because then some teams would start going for more two point conversions.
    Pretty much sums it up. If they are worried about injuries, just put the long snapper, holder and kicker out there. That way it isn't technically automatic, but there is no chance for injuries.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 01-21-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The NFL cares so much about player safety and concussions. Not like they want to expand to 18 games and "evaluate" instituting a rewarding 100% effort play.

This won't ever happen so who cares, but the hypocrisy is hilarious.
    Players hypocrisy is much much funnier. They ***** and moan about safety rules, and then sue the league for being unsafe. They stop with the lawsuits, you'll see the NFL stop with the rule changes. The NFL is trying to save their money.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    They ***** and moan about safety rules
    they do? you're really gonna put on a cape for the NFL brass on this? they didn't sue the league for being "unsafe," that's a gross misrepresentation of the lawsuits.

I say make PATS one play from the two yard line for one point. No kicks or 2 pointers.

not gonna happen. they always say some dumb **** like this just for the sake of saying it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    they do? you're really gonna put on a cape for the NFL brass on this? they didn't sue the league for being "unsafe," that's a gross misrepresentation of the lawsuits.
    I'm not an NFL brass fan, nor a NFLPA fan.

But I'm not misrepresenting it.
    More than 4,500 former athletes -- some suffering from dementia, depression or Alzheimer's that they blamed on blows to the head -- had sued the league, accusing it of concealing the dangers of concussions and rushing injured players back onto the field while glorifying and profiting from the kind of bone-jarring hits that make for spectacular highlight-reel footage.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ncussions-suit

And yet you have the players union battling the NFL when they hand out fines/suspensions for illegal hits , like James Harrison.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ension-stands/

So when the NFL puts rules in place so they don't glorify the bone-jarring hits, they get told how they're ruining the league, how players can't play with such a small target area, etc. Basically, players want the NFL to pick up the tab on injuries while not bending their behavior to lower the possibilty of injuries. Either they're (NLFPA) for allowing players to play the way they want, or they're for player safety. Can't have it both ways.

The funniest part is that the NFLPA thinks fining players who disregard the concussion protocol is out of bounds. Their solution? Fine the teams. Personal responsibility has been completely lost.

But this is for another day. The only thing I like about the proposal is the saving of 10-15mins, but that's small peanuts.
    Last edited by Since86; 01-22-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm not an NFL brass fan, nor a NFLPA fan.

But I'm not misrepresenting it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ncussions-suit

And yet you have the players union battling the NFL when they hand out fines/suspensions for illegal hits , like James Harrison.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ension-stands/

So when the NFL puts rules in place so they don't glorify the bone-jarring hits, they get told how they're ruining the league, how players can't play with such a small target area, etc. Basically, players want the NFL to pick up the tab on injuries while not bening their behavior to lower the possibilty of injuries.

When you're young, you want to play and get paid. When you're old, you want to still get paid. Hence the lawsuits.

I'm not saying that I don't feel sorry for these older players who have serious problems, but I doubt that a single one of them would have stopped playing even if they knew the risks. Even with all of the risks that we know today, do you ever see a highly touted college player who is about to get drafted decide to quit the game and forfeit the money? Of course not. When you're young, you want to play and make the money. You'll worry about other stuff later on.

Even though I'm not a fan of Goodell, I do understand that the league had to do something when it was getting it's *** sued all over the place.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    As someone who watched the XFL... That rule would be bad.

For example if both teams scored two touchdowns and one of the teams missed the conversions, they would be down another touchdown...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

See the problem I have with this is, sure it almost automatic. But only because when its not teams just go for two. In really crappy weather such as the Lions/Eagles game they didn't attempt a single one IIRC

Maybe Goodell could look at some other plays in football and see what their success rate is. Then give the team the option of calling those plays, telling the ref, and then take an automatic gain on the play rather than actually play the down and gamble the play will go for more than the average.

Or maybe we can have offensive and defensive team captains that will tell the ref their play call before the play.

You know... If the PAT is too automatic for Goodell's senses then why not do something to simply make it more difficult and less automatic? Give teams a reason to consider a 2pt try versus a PAT kick. Of course you have to be careful, you want the 2pt try to be riskier. You don't want to make teams decide the 2pointer is the better option than a 1 pointer.... Much like the dreaded debate about whether it's acceptable to shoot 33.3% from 3 versus 50% from 2 in basketball.

Honestly... the PAT SHOULD be almost automatic. That's why there's a risk going for 2 versus taking the safer 1pt play. You make the PAT anything less than almost automatic and all of a sudden the 2 point try starts looking better to teams. OTOH, when the argument is that a PAT kick is ALMOST automatic is pretty much kills the argument itself. 'Almost' isn't 'automatic'!

Just 'giving' teams that 1 point avoids the scenario of having the PAT be difficult to the point of making the risk of a 2 pointer look better, but then requires a team to take points off the board to go for 2. That just seems odd.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

When a touchdown is scored we now have...

automatic review
    extra point, with 99.6% success rate
    commercial break
    kickoff that will be a touchback, most likely
    another commercial break

then football begins again, after the 10 minutes of nothingness

So I would be OK making some modifications to shorten that interval or to make something in there worth watching.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Maybe Goodell could look at some other plays in football and see what their success rate is. Then give the team the option of calling those plays, telling the ref, and then take an automatic gain on the play rather than actually play the down and gamble the play will go for more than the average.

Or maybe we can have offensive and defensive team captains that will tell the ref their play call before the play.

You know... If the PAT is too automatic for Goodell's senses then why not do something to simply make it more difficult and less automatic? Give teams a reason to consider a 2pt try versus a PAT kick. Of course you have to be careful, you want the 2pt try to be riskier. You don't want to make teams decide the 2pointer is the better option than a 1 pointer.... Much like the dreaded debate about whether it's acceptable to shoot 33.3% from 3 versus 50% from 2 in basketball.

Honestly... the PAT SHOULD be almost automatic. That's why there's a risk going for 2 versus taking the safer 1pt play. You make the PAT anything less than almost automatic and all of a sudden the 2 point try starts looking better to teams. OTOH, when the argument is that a PAT kick is ALMOST automatic is pretty much kills the argument itself. 'Almost' isn't 'automatic'!

Just 'giving' teams that 1 point avoids the scenario of having the PAT be difficult to the point of making the risk of a 2 pointer look better, but then requires a team to take points off the board to go for 2. That just seems odd.
    Agreed

or make the PAT harder (move it back to the 30 yard line). Lord knows, the Redskins would never kick a PAT. Im not sure we can make one past 10 yards....

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    When a touchdown is scored we now have...

automatic review
    extra point, with 99.6% success rate
    commercial break
    kickoff that will be a touchback, most likely
    another commercial break

then football begins again, after the 10 minutes of nothingness

So I would be OK making some modifications to shorten that interval or to make something in there worth watching.
    You just convinced the NFL not to do this.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: