Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 89

Thread: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

  1. #51
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    342
    Mood

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    What the heck...how did I get into this thread? I must have clicked the wrong link. Could somebody please link me back to the Dec 18 @Miami postgame thread where we are discussing more important things such as how we went 4-4 after our 16-1 start?
    Bring Danny off the bench

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry , but you are nuttier than a squirrel turd....
    No im just not on Lances "nutts" like most of this board. If he were not on a great team he would not be a player expected to sign for 10+ Million this offseason. Rather than lose him for nothing and not be able to replace his production due to the LT dealing for Rondo would allow us to re sign Granger.

    Rondo, PG, Granger, West, Hibbert, Hill, Scola, Mahinmi and maybe Solo Hill give us a team that can still contend for the next 4 seasons which is the duration of most of our core group.

    If we are able to sign Lance it virtually assures Granger is gone unless Lance takes a discount.



    make it about the idea, not the person, please


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:


  5. #53

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No im just not on Lances "nutts" like most of this board.
    I don't wanna trade Lance but I lol'd at this line. Really funny.

  6. #54
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Larry showed his hand on Lance last summer, he's not going anywhere "This will be you next year Lance standing up here next to your daddy"

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  8. #55
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    I will miss Danny. I mean talk about answering the call against Blake. First three possessions for Blake against The Captain one failed post up resulting in a pass out and then two straight possessions of Danny slapping the ball away from him.

    This team is bad. They are bullies. I love it.

    From West finally deciding to send the Griffin Force a message. To Paul basically deciding that any Clippers highlights would be playing a distant, distant second to his dunk. To Danny showing Blake that he wasn't going to back him down. We were just mean.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-20-2014 at 10:22 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  10. #56
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is my spirit animal

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  12. #57
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    With how tight this team is, especially the starting five....I dunno IF, IF, IF we win it all this year, I think the whole starting 5 gets commemorated in some way. Dunno if it's all retired jerseys or what, but it would seem fitting.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #58
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know the origin of this? It looks like an old MGM (Tom & Jerry) cartoon to me?

    I can add it as a new smilie, just not sure what the right name for it would be. I see the file is called 'stoge' so maybe that would work.
    Regardless of the file name, I think it's spelled "stogie."
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  15. #59
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is amazing.

    I mean here we have a guy who once flashed a choke sign at Lebron when he was an absolute unknown bench warmer.

    A guy who talks **** to literally everyone. A man who has humped his hips at opposing benches multiple times this season after making a big play.

    And yet he won't even JOKE about winning a game by 14 points after West got ejected.

    David West. Serious ****ing business.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  17. #60
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Testing:


  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  19. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,920

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is amazing.

    I mean here we have a guy who once flashed a choke sign at Lebron when he was an absolute unknown bench warmer.

    A guy who talks **** to literally everyone. A man who has humped his hips at opposing benches multiple times this season after making a big play.

    And yet he won't even JOKE about winning a game by 14 points after West got ejected.

    David West. Serious ****ing business.

    This is one guy we can not consider moving to free up salary space next summer. I can't believe anyone would even suggest it.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  21. #62
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is one guy we can not consider moving to free up salary space next summer. I can't believe anyone would even suggest it.

    Ill suggest it. Trust me I love lance, I have loved him since he was drafted, I loved the fact that he was finally able to find his spot in the nba. But here is the thing, YOU DO NOT OVERPAY ROLE PLAYERS. If your wanting to pay him you have to find a way to trade danny and george hill together for cap room.

    Without scola, lances assists go down dramatically. Without west and Hibbert his rebounds drop. Without 5 or 6 MAJOR scoring options he does not get to play 1 on 1 basketball. Lance is a part of the system, a system that makes him shine. His talents are superb but they are also replaceable. We cannot go back to a team without a bench. We saw what happened last year every time the 2nd unit would take the floor. Whatever lead we had was lost.... Personally I feel a discounted granger and scola are better options for this team then lance, its one or the other from what everyone says.

    I am sorry but I think he will fail if he is asked to be "the man" on another team.

  22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:


  23. #63
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,610

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ill suggest it. Trust me I love lance, I have loved him since he was drafted, I loved the fact that he was finally able to find his spot in the nba. But here is the thing, YOU DO NOT OVERPAY ROLE PLAYERS. If your wanting to pay him you have to find a way to trade danny and george hill together for cap room.

    Without scola, lances assists go down dramatically. Without west and Hibbert his rebounds drop. Without 5 or 6 MAJOR scoring options he does not get to play 1 on 1 basketball. Lance is a part of the system, a system that makes him shine. His talents are superb but they are also replaceable. We cannot go back to a team without a bench. We saw what happened last year every time the 2nd unit would take the floor. Whatever lead we had was lost.... Personally I feel a discounted granger and scola are better options for this team then lance, its one or the other from what everyone says.

    I am sorry but I think he will fail if he is asked to be "the man" on another team.
    I thanked this not because I absolutely agree with it, but you make a lot of really good points.

    I really thought your point about Lance being able to play 1 on 1 because of the other scorers was very salient.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  25. #64
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,610

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Testing:

    You do realize that this now just gives me the easy out of not having to type anything after a big win.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  26. #65
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    But that argument really isn't proven, is Lance's success a product of the offense or is Lance's ability causing good plays to happen?

    It is a two way street here. Scola, West, PG, Danny do not get the open jumpers if Lance isn't bring the whole of the opposing defense's attention to his ball handling.

    And remember, he's not being asked to be the man. He's being asked to be Lance next to Paul and Roy. The stew works and is tasty, so what if the price of the beef in it went up since the last time you made it, you don't switch it to chicken.

    Again, Lance's season this year, so far is more efficient than Paul's last year while arguably being just as productive. Now i'm not saying he's going to jump again and be Paul's equal, but I think we'd all agree that Paul last year is a pretty good compliment to Paul this year, and Lance is doing that while also shooting almost a full 10% better from the field than Paul did. And don't underestimate the jump in responsibility that Lance has seen this year, he is being asked to handle the ball way more than he ever was last year and has so far handled it extremely well.

    You don't punt on a guy who is averagring 14, 7, and 6 at 50% shooting.

    You know who I just described? Lance obviously, but it also is Andre Igoudala. I never see Iggy brought up as a Lance comp, but I think it's sound. Why don't you ask the Sixers and Nuggets how they've done since punting on a guy that some don't consider a key cog. Now look at how good Golden State is with Iggy. Iggy is what, maybe the 4th guy you think of on that Golden State team? Yet they were awful without him, and since he has returned they have arguably been the best team in the west.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-20-2014 at 02:19 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  28. #66
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that argument really isn't proven, is Lance's success a product of the offense or is Lance's ability causing good plays to happen?

    It is a two way street here. Scola, West, PG, Danny do not get the open jumpers if Lance isn't bring the whole of the opposing defense's attention to his ball handling.

    And remember, he's not being asked to be the man. He's being asked to be Lance next to Paul and Roy. The stew works and is tasty, so what if the price of the beef in it went up since the last time you made it, you don't switch it to chicken.

    Again, Lance's season this year, so far is more efficient than Paul's last year while arguably being just as productive. Now i'm not saying he's going to jump again and be Paul's equal, but I think we'd all agree that Paul last year is a pretty good compliment to Paul this year, and Lance is doing that while also shooting almost a full 10% better from the field than Paul did. And don't underestimate the jump in responsibility that Lance has seen this year, he is being asked to handle the ball way more than he ever was last year and has so far handled it extremely well.

    You don't punt on a guy who is averagring 14, 7, and 6 at 50% shooting.

    You know who I just described? Lance obviously, but it also is Andre Igoudala. I never see Iggy brought up as a Lance comp, but I think it's sound. Why don't you ask the Sixers and Nuggets how they've done since punting on a guy that some don't consider a key cog. Now look at how good Golden State is with Iggy. Iggy is what, maybe the 4th guy you think of on that Golden State team? Yet they were awful without him, and since he has returned they have arguably been the best team in the west.

    When I think of lance I think more of the spurs and how they are able to find guys of questionable talent and make them look like stars.

    OKC was just fine when they let harden go.

    If you overpay a role player it will cripple you for years to come.

  29. #67
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I think of lance I think more of the spurs and how they are able to find guys of questionable talent and make them look like stars.

    OKC was just fine when they let harden go.

    If you overpay a role player it will cripple you for years to come.
    You consider Harden a role player?

    Also, I used to doubt Lance as much as anyone, but what's questionable about him more? He celebrates too much? The guy hasn't had any sort of a notable run in since two years ago in May when he flashed the choke sign at Lebron, and it seems sort of hypocritical to get that upset with him for that considering the most beloved athlete in Pacers history did way worse than that on more than one occassion.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do realize that this now just gives me the easy out of not having to type anything after a big win.
    Yeah, but that makes you a Red Auerbach, doesn't it? I thought you hated everything in green, except Leprechans.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

    RWB

  33. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but that makes you a Red Auerbach, doesn't it? I thought you hated everything in green, except Leprechans.
    I was thinking the exact same thing and also thinking wow I'm getting old.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  34. #70
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    It is interesting to think that West and Hibbert allow for Lance to grab those boards because they box out their men. And I agree that Scola gets better rebounds because Ian seals his man really well. I think that is the reason why Tyler's rebound rate went up.

    But Lance on any other team would still have shooters. Put him on the Hawks and he has shooters. Put him on the Lakers and he has shooters. As long as Lance has shooters he can get the space. That is why I don't think he is a good fit next to Rose and Butler.

    Lance is apart of the system and that system has allow him to flourish. But its not like he will go back to being two years ago Lance if he plays for the Hawks.

    Your players are more valuable to you than to others. Sometimes you have to pay to keep the players that help make the system click. We never really recovered offensively when Miller signed with the Kings.

    Was Brad Miller worth that money? No?

    Was he worth it to make our offense that much better? yes
    The system needs Lance as much as Lance needs the system.

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  36. #71
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that argument really isn't proven, is Lance's success a product of the offense or is Lance's ability causing good plays to happen?

    It is a two way street here. Scola, West, PG, Danny do not get the open jumpers if Lance isn't bring the whole of the opposing defense's attention to his ball handling.

    And remember, he's not being asked to be the man. He's being asked to be Lance next to Paul and Roy. The stew works and is tasty, so what if the price of the beef in it went up since the last time you made it, you don't switch it to chicken.

    Again, Lance's season this year, so far is more efficient than Paul's last year while arguably being just as productive. Now i'm not saying he's going to jump again and be Paul's equal, but I think we'd all agree that Paul last year is a pretty good compliment to Paul this year, and Lance is doing that while also shooting almost a full 10% better from the field than Paul did. And don't underestimate the jump in responsibility that Lance has seen this year, he is being asked to handle the ball way more than he ever was last year and has so far handled it extremely well.

    You don't punt on a guy who is averagring 14, 7, and 6 at 50% shooting.

    You know who I just described? Lance obviously, but it also is Andre Igoudala. I never see Iggy brought up as a Lance comp, but I think it's sound. Why don't you ask the Sixers and Nuggets how they've done since punting on a guy that some don't consider a key cog. Now look at how good Golden State is with Iggy. Iggy is what, maybe the 4th guy you think of on that Golden State team? Yet they were awful without him, and since he has returned they have arguably been the best team in the west.
    Guess I'm a little confused on the AI2 comparison....Golden State was awful without him? they finished 6th in the West last year at 47-35 and lost in the 2nd round to San Antonio...not sure thats the definition of awful...especially when u consider Bogut only played 32 games last year and has already played 41 this year...I think AI2 is a good fit on that Warriors team since they lacked defense at the forward and guard spot, but to say hes been this huge difference maker is not really that accurate...that and I think he and Lance have little in common and are about as different a player as 2 guys can be...

    There are, however, probably quite a few more similarities with Harden

  37. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    418

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Lance is a gym rat with lots and lots of desire.
    I said this last year: "He will be better next year".

    I'll say it again.

    Next year his shot will be a little better, his decision making will continue to improve.

    Sign Lance. Hib, PG and Lance will be our big three for several years.

    We can pick up ring chasers cheaply to fill out the bench.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:


  39. #73
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Meant the Warriors this year without Iggy's well rounded game while he was hurt. With him they look like they go for 60 wins. Without him more like 45ish.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  41. #74
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    A healthy Bogut may get them to the WCF. A healthy A12 may get them out of the WCFs. A12 is still recovering from that injury. So I agree he isn't the sole reason why the Warriors are much stronger. I think Barnes could fill that role much better than anyone filling Boguts. Or anyone on the Pacers filling Lance's role.

    Lance is nothing like Harden. He is a much better defender. And a much worse shooter. Lance is a better rebounder. And Harden is more controlled in transition. Harden has a shifty quickness. Lance has straightline quickness and brawn. His strength is mainly in his lower body. Harden has it in his chest and shoulders.

  42. #75
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meant the Warriors this year without Iggy's well rounded game while he was hurt. With him they look like they go for 60 wins. Without him more like 45ish.
    Without him and Jack, yes I agree. Without AI12, Jack, and Bogut they are sad. Without AI12 and with Bogut and Jack, they were better than a 45 win team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •