Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 89

Thread: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

  1. #26

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    if we win a title, does Granger get his jersey retired with everything he's done for our franchise?

  2. #27
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if we win a title, does Granger get his jersey retired with everything he's done for our franchise?
    If he stays, maybe.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love David West but I don't think he gets his number retired. As others have said, the standards are set very high. The one thing I do know is that *if* the Pacers do win a championship, I'll never be able to look at that banner and not think of DWest. Since he's arrived here the Pacers attitude changed. We've became bullies and this year I think we really are the beasts of the east (or is it beasts of the least??).


    My favorite DWest memory is after won in Miami in game 2 a couple years ago and he was yelling at the younger guys to stop celebrating. That was the day I really appreciated West for more than his basketball ability.
    X2.

    I also remember during some press conferences (after we had one either the first or second series last year) when he was happy, but very even tempered.
    He just seems to be that "grow up" that keeps every one else in check.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,959

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    If there was a Pacers' ring of honor, I think guys like David West and Granger would make it. I just don't see them getting their jersey's retired though. West won't have the longevity here, and I think Granger comes up a little short. Still both have been terrific for the franchise. My guess is #24 is the next one we get to see hang in the rafters.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  7. #30

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there was a Pacers' ring of honor, I think guys like David West and Granger would make it. I just don't see them getting their jersey's retired though. West won't have the longevity here, and I think Granger comes up a little short. Still both have been terrific for the franchise. My guess is #24 is the next one we get to see hang in the rafters.
    Didn't Paul George tweet something about changing numbers or did he go back on that?

  8. #31
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've became bullies and this year I think we really are the beasts of the east (or is it beasts of the least??).
    The Creme Brulee of the NBA?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  10. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,858
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Of course the Clippers aren't on the Pacers level without CP3. They probably aren't on our level with him, but to soon to know. That team has been injury riddled all year.

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    In hindsight, I'm glad DWest got tossed for this game. IMO, that greatly reduces the chances of additional punishment by the league.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  14. #34

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    The Clippers still need an upgrade at small forward, I don't think Dudley and Barnes can get it done

  15. #35
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,620

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know the origin of this? It looks like an old MGM (Tom & Jerry) cartoon to me?

    I can add it as a new smilie, just not sure what the right name for it would be. I see the file is called 'stoge' so maybe that would work.
    MGM for sure, Tom & Jerry maybe. But my guess is that this is something by Tex Avery and therefor I would bet it's an old Droopy Dog cartoon.

    With that being said if I were voting I would just call it "money".


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  17. #36
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course the Clippers aren't on the Pacers level without CP3. They probably aren't on our level with him, but to soon to know. That team has been injury riddled all year.
    Yeah, plus they were on the second night of a road-road back to back (and it showed in the second half). I've never considered this recent incarnation of the Clippers to be contenders (though their offensive and defensive ratings suggest otherwise), but we didn't really learn anything about them yesterday.

  18. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    At this junction, not taking into consideration possible future accomplishments, the only player who should even be mentioned with retiring a number is Danny, and even that is a stretch. It would be nice to have a Ring of Honor type of thing for players like West, Granger, Foster, Davis, etc. Honor the players who brought a lot and meant a lot to the team, but don't meet the high standards of their numbers being retired.

    As far as the future goes I could easily see Hibbert and Paul having their numbers retired.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  20. #38
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,236

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this junction, not taking into consideration possible future accomplishments, the only player who should even be mentioned with retiring a number is Danny, and even that is a stretch. It would be nice to have a Ring of Honor type of thing for players like West, Granger, Foster, Davis, etc. Honor the players who brought a lot and meant a lot to the team, but don't meet the high standards of their numbers being retired.

    As far as the future goes I could easily see Hibbert and Paul having their numbers retired.
    I agree. He would fit in a ring of honor of some sort. If Danny is gone after this year, there is no possible way his number is retired. He's not a key contributor this year and if he's gone he primarily played on sub .500 teams. I expect him to go down as one of the better Pacers though, a notch above Chuck Person and a notch below Reggie.

  21. #39
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,330

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't Paul George tweet something about changing numbers or did he go back on that?
    Number change isn't happening.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  23. #40

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    West only got fined 15k, no suspension

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  25. #41
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    The "Ring of Honor" is actually called a "Championship Ring."

    I totally support each member of this year's team getting one.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  27. #42
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    If this team wins a title, I think several players end up getting their numbers retired. Its not just a championship. Its the first NBA championship for the organization. That's extra special.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  29. #43
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    title (whether we win next year is not important).

    If the Pacers win a title this year and are once again one of the top teams all of next season and get to the finals does David West have his number retired as a Pacer?
    Hard to say with David, I would say no. Because of the fact he did not play the majority of his career here.


    I was just thinking the other day if Larry Bird will be honored in the same manner Bobby 'Slick" Leonard has been recognized.

  30. #44
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Lance is definitely going to get paid. If it did not affect our team chemistry this season I would deal Lance and Cope to Boston for Rondo and draft picks.

    It would allow us to re sign Granger I believe. In my estimation Rondo/Granger > Lance (paying Lance 12M+).

    Financially long term it gives us a better team for the next few seasons. Best we may be able to hope for is a S&T w Lance this offseason.

  31. #45
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Bwahahaha!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornrows
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Lance Stephenson enjoyed talking to the media about his game and chippy play with various Clippers, but turned serious and stone-faced when asked if he or any teammates joked around with David West after rolling past the Clippers without him. "No," Stephenson said, shaking his head as he actually looked toward West's locker as if to make sure the locker room regulator wasn't hearing him speak. "I don't mess with West," Stephenson concluded.
    http://www.indycornrows.com/2014/1/1...-dunk-nba-2014
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  32. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  33. #46
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. He would fit in a ring of honor of some sort. If Danny is gone after this year, there is no possible way his number is retired. He's not a key contributor this year and if he's gone he primarily played on sub .500 teams. I expect him to go down as one of the better Pacers though, a notch above Chuck Person and a notch below Reggie.
    A championship speaks alot though. If he were to have some memorable moments during our title run, combined with being high up on numerous categories on the pacers all time list I could see it. If chuck won a ship with is he'd have his number retired too. He hasn't, understandably, shot lights out yet but I do see him as a key contributor, his presence has been putting our bench over the top from decent to pretty great since he's returned. Imo if he stays healthy the bench will be even better as time goes on. By minutes played per game he's our sixth man which is a key contributor imo.

  34. #47
    Member Mr.Hinds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt DWest gets his jersey retired here, but he seems like a guy that could very easily get a job with the franchise after retiring. Coaching staff, broadcast, player development, anything.
    This. I'm 95% sure West sticks around Indianapolis after his playing days are over. As tough as it is to get a jersey hung in the rafters, it is that easy to get a job with this franchise. Baring someone who went into the stands in Detroit. Clark Kellog like role perchance? I don't know if West has any X's and O's background to enjoy coaching. I'd imagine his player management skills are phenomenal.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

    ~Ahmad Rashad~

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Hinds For This Useful Post:


  36. #48

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hinds View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This. I'm 95% sure West sticks around Indianapolis after his playing days are over. As tough as it is to get a jersey hung in the rafters, it is that easy to get a job with this franchise. Baring someone who went into the stands in Detroit. Clark Kellog like role perchance? I don't know if West has any X's and O's background to enjoy coaching. I'd imagine his player management skills are phenomenal.
    From player's comments I think West has interests outside of Basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if he left to go into another field.

  37. #49
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,558
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    I agree that Larry Bird should be honored with a "jersey retirement" for what he has done to dismantle and rebuild the franchise. Beyond what Mel and Herb Simon (Mel having already received the honor posthumously), and the tireless role Slick Leonard (who also has received this honor) has played with the franchise for so many years, I don't believe anyone else has made as significant a contribution to the organization as Larry Bird has. He should be next to be honored in this fashion.

    I like the concept of the Ring of Honor like the Colts do.

    Maybe something like hanging the jersey banners around the perimeter of the Entry Pavilion rotunda of some of the more elite fan favorites that just don't quite make the grade of jersey retirement status? Not nearly as high as being in the rafters, mind you, more like at a level just above the main concourse.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  39. #50
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,733

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: A league of our own, Clippers just not on the same level

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that Larry Bird should be honored with a "jersey retirement" for what he has done to dismantle and rebuild the franchise. Beyond what Mel and Herb Simon (Mel having already received the honor posthumously), and the tireless role Slick Leonard (who also has received this honor) has played with the franchise for so many years, I don't believe anyone else has made as significant a contribution to the organization as Larry Bird has. He should be next to be honored in this fashion.
    With Bird, there's also the fact that he coached the franchise to it's first (and so far only) NBA Finals appearance. We made the ECF's in all three years that he coached.

    Bird is definitely one of the most important non-players in franchise history. His moves from 2008-present literally saved the franchise.

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •