Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz: Bynum Worth the Risk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kravitz: Bynum Worth the Risk

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...bynum/4550043/
    By: Bob Kravitz

Its mostly the same things that have been said here, but still an interesting read. A few nice quotes from Larry as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz: Bynum Worth the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...bynum/4550043/
    By: Bob Kravitz

Its mostly the same things that have been said here, but still an interesting read. A few nice quotes from Larry as well.
    Nothing new here....Kravitz does bring up a valid point that the Heat aren't built to compete with size and that the Pacers would greatly benefit from having him in the lineup....but this is true for every Team that wants to face the Heat in the ECF or in the Finals.. I think it's Bynum's a "nice to have"...but more of a fantasy IMHO.

I will only highlight the part that most here would care about...but pretty much knew already:

That's all rumor,'' Larry Bird told The Indianapolis Star's Candace Buckner when asked about Bynum. "But I'm going to do what I think is going to make us better. I live this. The moves I make might be the wrong moves, but whoever it is, if I think it's going to make us better, I'll bring him in. That's what I get paid to do.''
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

im behind whatever Bird decides

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wouldn't mind bringing him in on a low contract offer.

He has played horrible, and will never be the same guy, he is depressed about his situation and it showed in his game. I think him getting rest, and being a back up will be fine, let him go against Oden, drain some of his energy so he won't have as much to get physical with Roy.

Also I think he really has not had much to get excited about playing in Cleveland, they aren't going anywhere, I think his play would be better here, but who knows what will happen.
    Why so SERIOUS

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

In legend we trust

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm all for it now
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he were a valuable asset, he wouldn't have been traded and released multiple times. I get it, you get the guy cheap and at low risk. But if he is shooting three pointers and taking plays off, frankly, I'd rather have Ian. Ian plays every minute he's on the court. He's a good rim protector and rebounder. Obviously, he's an offensive black hole.

But I am for whatever Larry Bird decides. And I think he will decide not to sign Bynum, the fact is we've been in the personality management business before, and I think this team has all the personality management it needs with some of the young players.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

**** off Kravitz.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kidthecat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    If he were a valuable asset, he wouldn't have been traded and released multiple times. I get it, you get the guy cheap and at low risk. But if he is shooting three pointers and taking plays off, frankly, I'd rather have Ian. Ian plays every minute he's on the court. He's a good rim protector and rebounder. Obviously, he's an offensive black hole.

But I am for whatever Larry Bird decides. And I think he will decide not to sign Bynum, the fact is we've been in the personality management business before, and I think this team has all the personality management it needs with some of the young players.

I'd say sign him just to keep him from Miami. But he can still play. If he shows good in practice and stuff then yeah.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My favorite part is where he says Pacers should get rid of Mahinmi. Let me get this straight. You want to give up a player who has proven he can play significant b/u minutes? Even better to take a chance on a guy who its not guaranteed he will even see the floor each game. That's all I needed to hear. No Thank You.

He's not going to be worth the $$ he will want considering a desperate team will most likely end up overpaying for him.
    I Bleed Blue

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

I just wish Bynum would land somewhere so the speculation ends. With that said, Miami just cleared a roster spot getting rid of Joel Anthony. I would imagine that was to make room for Bynum and if he goes to Miami I would not at all be surprised. Guys with attitudes tend to collect down there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I just wish Bynum would land somewhere so the speculation ends. With that said, Miami just cleared a roster spot getting rid of Joel Anthony. I would imagine that was to make room for Bynum and if he goes to Miami I would not at all be surprised. Guys with attitudes tend to collect down there.
    They actually don't have a roster spot available (they got Toney Douglas in that trade). They'd have to release somebody, and I don't know if they want to eat a contract to get Bynum when they already have Oden. They could still make a trade to get that roster spot, but it doesn't make sense to me to have both Bynum and Oden when you're getting them to play against one team.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    They actually don't have a roster spot available (they got Toney Douglas in that trade). They'd have to release somebody, and I don't know if they want to eat a contract to get Bynum when they already have Oden. They could still make a trade to get that roster spot, but it doesn't make sense to me to have both Bynum and Oden when you're getting them to play against one team.
    They would cut somebody. I can see them stocking bigs like that. Much depends on how they feel about Oden and how much Bynum wants.

Sports Logo

If it would mean dumping Mahinmi I would be completely opposed to picking him up. But picking him up for cheap as the last roster spot for when Hibbert is in foul trouble and Mahinmi needs some rest sure.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Bynum would be better than Mahimi. I like Ian, but having a starting calibur center come off the bench would be huge
    David "And One" West

Scola, Danny, possibly CJ could start on several teams. Bynum would be the fourth "starter" off the bench
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Bynum would be better than Mahimi. I like Ian, but having a starting calibur center come off the bench would be huge
    Is Bynum still a starting quality center? Has he shown that at any time in the last three years?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Bynum hasnt even looked like a back up caliber center in quite some time.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Is Bynum still a starting quality center? Has he shown that at any time in the last three years?
    He had by far the best season of his career in 11-12. Then the injury hit before last season.

If Bynum is likely to be what Kravitz advertises, there is a long list of teams that would need him more than the Pacers. More need equals a better contract.

If Bynum's recent play is a better measure, he's not worth bothering with.

So the only scenario where we get him is that Bird believes in Bynum and most other GM's don't. I think Kravitz is bored. He needs a roto team.

By the way, it's kind of amazing that it's come to this for Bynum. He once had a staggering amount of game and looked to be the center that supplanted Dwight as the best in the game.
    Last edited by danman; 01-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    They would cut somebody. I can see them stocking bigs like that. Much depends on how they feel about Oden and how much Bynum wants.
    Bynum is going to go somewhere where he will be guaranteed minutes....either as a Backup or Starter while looking for a team that will make the Playoffs. He wont go somewhere where he will be sitting on the bench in a suit. $$$ isnt a real factor....what matters to him is exposure to show that he can still play. Teams like the Hawks and Net can offer all of that....whereas Indy nor Miami can only provide Playoff exposure...neither can offer him guaranteed minutes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    What Andrew Bynum are you watching? Tell me 1 team he would start for, I'll wait.
    I Bleed Blue

Mood

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CreekShow View Post
    What Andrew Bynum are you watching? Tell me 1 team he would start for, I'll wait.
    Hawks.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Also think he could start for the Pelicans without Anderson and the Nets.