Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we talking too much?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are we talking too much?

Everywhere you turn you hear how much we want HCA. Every game you watch you see Lance or PG thumping their chest. Personally I love it, but are we rubbing our opponents the wrong way? When i visit other teams message board we are hated, I know everyone is gonna say who cares but you have to wonder if we're going about things the wrong way.

http://nba.si.com/2014/01/16/paul-ge...urt-advantage/

Also are we looking too much ahead to the Heat, kind of dismissing other opponents similar to the Knicks last season?

These are some of the ways I think we can go about things differently;

1) when asked about the heat simply say we'll focus/ answer that when the time comes. Avoid giving the champs bulletin material at all cost. Show the necessary respect due

2) Just play ball, wanting hca should have never been mentioned, that should have remained a private goal , it makes us as a team seem uncertain of our abilities on the road. As charles mentioned last night champs win on the road, we have to do that, and if we are relying on winning every home game we are in for a rude awakening.

These are just topics for debate, Im in noway trying to come across as a classact or trying to rain on our parade, just curious of your views
    Impossible Is Nothing

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are we talking too much?

They think we're talking too much because, not being one of the Big Six teams, we aren't allowed.

In all honesty, we really aren't saying any other up-and-coming contender team doesn't say in their breakout year. As much as you'd like to trot out the "we have private goals but we aren't sharing them, we just we play well" kinds of answers, reporters just aren't going to let you get away with responses like that. If you stick to them, then sooner or later they stop writing about you at all other than to show your score (maybe).

As Oscar Wilde once said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about". If the worst they can say about us is that we've articulated our goals and we keep talking about them, so be it. Much better than the Heat saying "we don't care about the Pacers" and clearly prevaricating.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as they continue talking about what they're doing, and their goals, and stay away from talking about other teams/players, there isn't a problem.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I don't give a **** if we're hated. Why should I care if other teams fans don't like how our team celebrates?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance is coming dangerously close to disprespecting the opponents at times...and probably crosses over that line every once in a while....i think that will always be a concern with him...at least for the forseeable future...it seems to be who he is to a great degree...now i have no doubt that without the influence of Larry Bird and David West it wouldve been way way way worse and he wouldve probably been in fights on the court and what have you....and hopefully as he continues his stellar maturation process it will become less of a fear....we've come a long ways from the choke sign...but...

if youre gonna talk, just back it up...would i prefer less talking and letting the play do the talking? maybe...would i prefer less posing from Paul? yes...but probably moreso because i saw what that morphed into with JO and i despised that versus what Paul is actually doing now...if Paul never does any more than what hes doing right now, then that would probably be fine...but JO started the same way...and it progressed....because it seems that is how it typically goes...more posing, more talking to the refs and complaining...but as long as Larry, David West and even Frank are around, I trust them to keep it at the level its at now...because any further and I think it becomes a problem and not a good one...theres a fine line....Larry spent his whole career walking that fine line pretty well...and I know he despised JO's antics....so as long as David West and Larry Bird are around to keep them in line and as long as the two of them continue to listen then we will likely be ok...god forbid they ever stop listening though...though if that were ever the case I'm sure they would be shipped out immediately-regardless of how good they are....as long as Larry has any say in it...

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...would i prefer less talking and letting the play do the talking? maybe...would i prefer less posing from Paul? yes...but probably moreso because i saw what that morphed into with JO and i despised that versus what Paul is actually doing now...if Paul never does any more than what hes doing right now, then that would probably be fine...but JO started the same way...and it progressed....because it seems that is how it typically goes...more posing, more talking to the refs and complaining.......Larry spent his whole career walking that fine line pretty well...and I know he despised JO's antics....
    Amen to all that. You have stated exactly the way I feel about it. I HATE the chest thumping/posing/screaming crap. Just act like you've done it before, and play the darned game. You can pound your chest and yell all you want.........AFTER you win the title. Until then you've done nothing to get so self congratulatory about.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Just because they're speaking, doesn't mean they're saying the wrong things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

As long as they aren't being egotistical I don't care what they say. Those who hate they are talking would just find something else to hate if they weren't talking. The thing about the internet is it allows those with extreme views to be able to find other people with similar views, and no matter how small the group actually is they are able to concentrate it somewhere were others will see creating an inflated sense of reality. Those guys hate us because we are good, and that is all. The fact this is what they are choosing to hate on is a compliment to how well this team is playing, and that this team is playing basketball the right way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Amen to all that. You have stated exactly the way I feel about it. I HATE the chest thumping/posing/screaming crap. Just act like you've done it before, and play the darned game. You can pound your chest and yell all you want.........AFTER you win the title. Until then you've done nothing to get so self congratulatory about.
    I have a huge problem with this. These guys love basketball. When they make a good play of course they are going to show emotion! Don't sit here and tell me that you don't want our guys to show emotion. If they want to beat their chest and yell, then do it. its part of the game and don't even think about removing it
    Welcome back George Hill!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Hell no, this team is humble and on a mission. They are focused on a goal and letting everyone know about it when asked. Pacers are simply stating the obvious in a professional, humble way.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I have a huge problem with this. These guys love basketball. When they make a good play of course they are going to show emotion! Don't sit here and tell me that you don't want our guys to show emotion. If they want to beat their chest and yell, then do it. its part of the game and don't even think about removing it
    I think I mostly agree with this. Don't cross the line into taunting, and don't act like winning every game is the NBA Championship, but no reason at all not to celebrate a win or a great play - as long as it doesn't istract from the next game or getting back on defense. I think even DWest has said celebrate for a while then calm down and get ready for the next game.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

No. What is wrong with some of you? lol. We barely lose games and we still have to find something to complain about. Since when is saying "We want home court advantage in the playoffs. It will increase or chances of winning the championship" an awful thing?

Since when is celebrating during a big run (Like most players do!) such an awful thing?

This stuff is petty.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm not asking them to not show any emotion, but don't taunt the other team and act silly in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    No. What is wrong with some of you? lol. We barely lose games and we still have to find something to complain about. Since when is saying "We want home court advantage in the playoffs. It will increase or chances of winning the championship" an awful thing?

Since when is celebrating during a big run (Like most players do!) such an awful thing?

This stuff is petty.
    There's something to be said for wanting not to become the people we despise. If we hate Miami for being arrogant and showboating, then it was nothing but sour grapes if we celebrate the same thing in ourselves.
    BillS

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I don't feel like you can talk to much in the NBA. The NBA rewards personality. Out there individuals. People who are out there and exciting without shooting up strip clubs are people they can market. Which means those players get the calls and the benefit of the doubt.

Stern and Silver must be happy that these guys aren't going about this quietly, actually has people talking about us amongst other fanbases helping to build interest for any potential finals run.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    There's something to be said for wanting not to become the people we despise. If we hate Miami for being arrogant and showboating, then it was nothing but sour grapes if we celebrate the same thing in ourselves.
    When the Pacers declare themselves the 5 time defending champion, before they ever play a game, then they'll be the Miami Heat. Until then, the comparison falls flat.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I don't like a lot of Lance's oncourt antics. And Paul George should tone it down a notch.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't like a lot of Lance's oncourt antics.
    I love them, and the crowd loves them. Which is all that matters, as long as he isn't doing anything fine worthy
    Welcome back George Hill!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

If we eliminate Miami in the playoffs this year, Lance will probably walk over to their bench and moon the entire team.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

BKK

Aren't there different ways to show emotion? I am not a fan of going to the opposing team's bench and doing all sorts of weird gestures. show emotion in a respectful way to your opponent with your teammates and the home crowd.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I love them, and the crowd loves them. Which is all that matters, as long as he isn't doing anything fine worthy
    Well I am part of the crowd and I don't love them. do I count? And I am sure there are other members of the crowd that would just rather Lance toned it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If we're all being honest with ourselves, yes, it is sour grapes. Celebrations and confident statements are never a problem until it's another team that's doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Well I am part of the crowd and I don't love them. do I count? And I am sure there are other members of the crowd that would just rather Lance toned it down a bit.
    I don't think Lance can. He seems to play better when he is so jazzed that he can't control himself. Its almost when he tries to calm down and control the antics, his game suffers. Thats something he needs to work on for sure.

But at the moment he doesn't appear able to tone down his attitude without toning down his effort.

When you go to a game live, you really get a sense of who the fan favorites are. Lance just gets insanely big ovations from the crowd. Last night on the monitor, there was a young kid in a customized Pacers # 1 jersey that said "Born Ready" on the back. The crowd loved it. Later on, the crowd got very excited when they showed Lance on the monitor and announced his career high.

Then there are moments like this:

Lance entertains people. He talks a lot, but he backs it up the court. What are other teams going to do about it? Miami is the only team in the East who can beat us. A team like New York has no choice but to sit back and watch Lance completely clown on him. He's a personality and he's very entertaining. That's what you pay to watch. I trust him not to cross the line because he has showed incredible maturity, plus he has great teammates, Bird, and Vogel....all of whom will keep him in line.

Lance's antics are different than what Reggie used to do, but it's the same sort of theme: Taunting the opponent while putting on a show and backing it up on the court. The fans around here love it. Since Reggie retired, Lance is easily one of the most popular players amongst the Fieldhouse crowd.

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

are we confusing what lance does when the play is happening on the court? I love every minute of that and I'll cheer for that all day. But that is different from the after the play stuff he does that I think is going to far. I will not cheer for that at all.