Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should lance calm down with the theatrics?

Default Re: Should lance calm down with the theatrics?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't that a little dance? Air-hump seems to be a perverted sense that someone is being sexually offensive in some way. I just saw a typical hip shimmy, like a shoulder shimmy.
    I recall it being a thrusting motion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Lance's "theatrics" is a part of what makes Lance special. Much like Reggie Miller, certain players express themselves in a theatrical way. It's how what gets them going.

As long as he isn't receiving technicals, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way Lance reacts after making big plays.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If it was too much, then don't you think that Vogel, Bird, and his highly respected teammates would have told him to tone it down by now? They clearly haven't. They understand that's part of who Born Ready is. He's proven so far that he can do it without taking it too far. The team understands that he's just a better player when he does that kind of stuff, just like Reggie as Ace mentioned above. He's helping the Pacers win a lot of games, so let him continue to do the things that fuel him.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Personally i love it. You can tell it gives him a ton of confidence. But Vogel should probably hammer it down a bit, just to show the other players that nobody is getting any special treatment, and that its not okay to act like a knucklehead on the reg.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If it was too much, then don't you think that Vogel, Bird, and his highly respected teammates would have told him to tone it down by now? They clearly haven't. They understand that's part of who Born Ready is. He's proven so far that he can do it without taking it too far. The team understands that he's just a better player when he does that kind of stuff, just like Reggie as Ace mentioned above. He's helping the Pacers win a lot of games, so let him continue to do the things that fuel him.
    I could have sworn a read a post game comment from Frank where he didn't come right out and say he didn't like it, but more that we could do without some of it. Or maybe he was talking more about getting back on defense.

I would guess Frank would rather Lance not.

Bird stopped Mark Jackson from doing his shimmy, so I would guess he'd rather lance stop also.

in one of the last interviews with Bird he says Lance should drop it pretty quick and Vogel has indeed said that he does not "appreciate" it and he don't want to see it anymore, he did pipe down but last night was a resurrection

i prefer him to leave the antics out of it, he WILL run into a player who will take a 3 game suspension toi drive the message home and we may be without him for a while, no one likes to be shown up that way, certainly not ball players who's rep is their income.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Yeah, my biggest worry isn't Lance losing control as much as it is him ticking off the wrong guy who wants to take a shot at him in the heat of the moment.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

While we are all watching the Lance Show, Lance is too...starring, directing and watching with glee. It's part of the total package. I'd be afraid to make him stop for fear of losing the sheer brilliance of the game.

If you fear failure, you may not accomplish much. Perennial assist leader John Stockton's turnover numbers were consistently higher than Lance's, at this point.

Lance said the dance was taught to him and his whole family by his grandmother. He is obviously not (in his mind) air humping. What we see, on the other hand, gets filtered through our brains. Middle America may not be ready for grandma's dance. Elvis had the same problem.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No way, it is funny and it gets him and the whole team going. Absolutely love it.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

16. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Lance said the dance was taught to him and his whole family by his grandmother. He is obviously not (in his mind) air humping. What we see, on the other hand, gets filtered through our brains. Middle America may not be ready for grandma's dance. Elvis had the same problem.
    Um... yeah, right. I have a funny feeling he did it with a little more ... enthusiasm
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I like the swagger. This team is badass and he lets everyone know it. I thought the dougie tease last night was hilarious. He was about to bust out some serious dance moves after that and 1 and he appeared to change his mind. Maybe he thought that's just a bit too much.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Can't remember where I read it but they asked JR Smith about it and he said "that's east coast basketball"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    My concern is that some of the theatrics can lead to bad ballplaying. I've commented about the one-handed ball fakes, but the no-look passes often don't take into account changes in coverage, the driving into 3 guys at the rim and leaping to make a flashy pass could get him into a lot of trouble (as we've seen from other ballhandlers).
    That's why we have a coach.

I like that he's having fun and that it gets the team hyped, but if there's one thing I'm afraid of it's Lance's theatrics getting some superstar pissed and he ends up dropping 35 in the second half and winning the game for the opposition. Other than that, I love it.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A couple things came to mind for me. First off, some of the plays I almost want to fail in the regular season so he doesn't try them in the playoffs, mainly the one where he was dribbling a ton and threw the crazy pass to George for a dunk. It's not a play you can use in the playoffs that's an easy turnover and fast break against the Heat. Second thing is, the Pacers are in the perfect situation for Lance; he's kind of the knucklehead on the team, the on the edge of crazy guy, it's ok and almost needed to have 1 of those guys, you can't have more than 1 though, we all know that from the Brawl.

Lance is a little crazy with the dribbling sometimes when it isn't necessary but I guess that's a part of Lance when he's on. I could see post-all star break the refs calling traveling or carrying calls on Lance if he continues some of the stuff.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

I am one of the minority that doesn't like the theatrics....I understand enthusiasm when Lance completes a play and he does whatever he does....what I don't like is the fancy and flashly stuff that BillS highlighted.

I completely agree what able says about Lance.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, my biggest worry isn't Lance losing control as much as it is him ticking off the wrong guy who wants to take a shot at him in the heat of the moment.
    This. That's my only concern as well.

Both Lance and PG are very young guys. Heck, Lance is 2 months younger than me. I like seeing them having fun and celebrating after exciting plays. Exuberance is a characteristic of youth after all.

Fans of opposing teams do not like it but they're not supposed to like it either.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I wish I had time to go through a game film, pull out all the things that make me crazy when Lance does them even when they work, and post the resulting video to a thread asking people to help me get over them making me crazy (or else help me articulate why they aren't necessarily the right thing to do). I admit I am a fundamental play-within-yourself-and-the-team typical old-school Indiana basketball fan, and I need to understand if these things make me nuts just because they are flashy and the exact opposite of old-school rather than breaking fundamentals, or if I am correct in thinking they create flaws.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

said this before and gonna say it again. i don't like that kind of behaviour on other teams, don't like it on mine either.

stay classy when you lose. stay classy when you win. this is my opinion.

and from a player's point of view you are playing for a contender now and clearly enjoying it. this is nba. you can be on one of those awful teams may be just in a couple of years. i doubt he would be fine with it if someone from the winning team disrespect him like that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wish I had time to go through a game film, pull out all the things that make me crazy when Lance does them even when they work, and post the resulting video to a thread asking people to help me get over them making me crazy (or else help me articulate why they aren't necessarily the right thing to do). I admit I am a fundamental play-within-yourself-and-the-team typical old-school Indiana basketball fan, and I need to understand if these things make me nuts just because they are flashy and the exact opposite of old-school rather than breaking fundamentals, or if I am correct in thinking they create flaws.
    Conan is sitting here with me right now, and he approves of the Lance Dance. He says the lamentation of the women should come from the enemy's baggage train, not our own.

On a more serious note, what did you think of the 'Showtime Lakers', Bill?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

No, that was a lot more than a shimmy. My dog Jack doesn't love Unclebuck as much as Lance loved that air.
    So, you saw Lance screwing the air...you aren't right dude.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Lance was just on with JMV and said it wasn't a hump.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I recall it being a thrusting motion.
    So a hip thrusting motion must mean he is "air-humping" (as you put it)...wow!

I see it as a quick celebrating dance, not humping the air like a perv as some of you do.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I know some of us on here are old school, but, guys, Michael Jackson mainstreamed that move about 30 years ago.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

37. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

You know...whatever we think about it, Herb Simon ought to love it.