Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Knicks Postgame Thread: Utter Destruction

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Knicks Postgame Thread: Utter Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OMG! That might be the most clever thing I've ever read. Wow. I'm reading that imagining the father is Stephen A. Smith. It takes on another level of hilarity when read that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    If he repeats what he's always done during his career, he'll be peaking toward the end of the season. He's been getting a lot of his points from mid range, and the FT line. Once he gets that 3 point shooting touch back I could see his scoring average move close to the 11-12 pt mark. (right now he's averaging just under 10) This would equal "UH OH" for the rest of the league.
    I partially agree. I definitely agree that he's rounding into form, and that having a strong DG off the bench is a major uh-oh for the rest of the league. But I don't think double-digit scoring is that big a deal.

I've said this since before the season started, and I'll stick with it: on a team with so many scoring options, ppg is absolutely meaningless. Danny's ppg would already be well into double digits if he wasn't making such an effort to facilitate. A much better gauge of each player's offense will be their shooting percentages. We want to see high-efficiency shots from every player on the floor. If you look at Danny's game logs for the past 10 games, you see 4 games above 50%, 2 games in the 40s, 3 games in the 30s, and one below 30%. I'd much rather see him improve his percentages than his overall ppg. And I'm VERY happy that Danny seems very focused on making the best basketball play, even if it doesn't end up giving him a point.

Heck, Danny had 4 assists last night. That's the same as Lance. Not bad for a guy that supposedly "can't pass."
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-17-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Having Danny out there has really stabilized our 2nd unit. He's getting good shots out of the flow of the offense, and if he doesn't have it--he's making good passes to the open guy.

The most surprising thing has been his ability to defend. Obviously he's guarding backups for the most part, but even when he's had to guard starters, he's been able to be adequate, and has gotten his fair share of blocks, steals and deflections.

If he repeats what he's always done during his career, he'll be peaking toward the end of the season. He's been getting a lot of his points from mid range, and the FT line. Once he gets that 3 point shooting touch back I could see his scoring average move close to the 11-12 pt mark. (right now he's averaging just under 10) This would equal "UH OH" for the rest of the league.
    Surprising to who??

Whether it be his first season in the league or his last playoff run, I think any objective individual could clearly see Danny was an above average NBA defender

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we can hold on to the number 1 seed, I'm beginning to think that the only way Miami beats us if Lebron has a truly historic Jordan-esque performance against us. That's certainly possible, but it's going to be difficult for him to do. Last year he averaged 29 PPG against us in the playoffs. That's obviously great, but I think it's going to take more than that this year. He didn't hit 40 in any of the games against us last year. I think he's going to need a couple of 40 point games this go around.

This Pacer team obviously has a bright future, but we gotta play as if there is no tomorrow. So far we have been doing that with our pedal to the metal approach this year. The Westbrook and Rose injuries were a cold reminder that playoff dreams can be squashed in an instant. At 31-7, we are in the driver's seat and have a golden opportunity to truly achieve something special. This may be the best Pacer team we ever have since the financial situation could make things difficult beyond this year. Add that to the fact that Miami is extra vulnerable after going to the Finals for 3 straight years, and the time is now. There's a reason that no one has made The Finals 4 straight years since the Celtics did it in the mid 80's. It's just an absurdly thing to do. The Heat are human and there is just no way that they aren't feeling the fatigue of the last 3 NBA Finals runs. We gotta take advantage of their vulnerability.

We know we have the physical tools and talent to win it all. It's just going to come down to mental execution.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I partially agree. I definitely agree that he's rounding into form, and that having a strong DG off the bench is a major uh-oh for the rest of the league. But I don't think double-digit scoring is that big a deal.

I've said this since before the season started, and I'll stick with it: on a team with so many scoring options, ppg is absolutely meaningless. Danny's ppg would already be well into double digits if he wasn't making such an effort to facilitate. A much better gauge of each player's offense will be their shooting percentages. We want to see high-efficiency shots from every player on the floor. If you look at Danny's game logs for the past 10 games, you see 4 games above 50%, 2 games in the 40s, 3 games in the 30s, and one below 30%. I'd much rather see him improve his percentages than his overall ppg. And I'm VERY happy that Danny seems very focused on making the best basketball play, even if it doesn't end up giving him a point.

Heck, Danny had 4 assists last night. That's the same as Lance. Not bad for a guy that supposedly "can't pass."
    Of our bench players, I think Scola has been the most consistent thus far. But, I believe Granger will be there well before the regular season ends.

What I see from this team is that we have at least 8 players who could provide 25 points in extended minutes in any given game.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Of our bench players, I think Scola has been the most consistent thus far. But, I believe Granger will be there well before the regular season ends.

What I see from this team is that we have at least 8 players who could provide 25 points in extended minutes in any given game.

I won't quibble over the 25 point total, but your overall point is 100% correct. and there is no other team that could say that 8 players could score any where close to 20 or more. Although maybe the Clippers might have close to that many.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    For those of you that think George Hill will be traded I would offer you this...George Hill is Paul George's best friend and neighbor...he is considered by the team and his teammates to be a leader and spokesman...to think he will be traded is simply not understanding the innerworkings and chemistry that this team is based on and how Larry has bulit this team and why its so successful...

I agree. Along with Vogel taking over, the additions of West and Hill in 2011 were the biggest reasons that this team became a true winner. West and Hill changed the culture of the team and taught the young guys how to be winners in the NBA. Hill was still pretty young himself when he came here, but he had spent three years in a world class Spurs organization, which would be like spending ten years some place else. Hill was taught by Pop, Duncan, Parker, and Manu, then he took those traits here. As you mention, he is also best friends with the star on the team. Hill is super important to this team chemistry and is a very good basketball player. He's been overshadowed by what PG and Lance have done this year, but that doesn't make him any less of a player.

I remember how bad the team looked in Game 5 against NY last year without Hill. We're obviously a deeper team this year because of Lance's explosion, DG's return, and CJ, but I still think that we'd miss Hill big time.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Surprising to who??

Whether it be his first season in the league or his last playoff run, I think any objective individual could clearly see Danny was an above average NBA defender
    I think it is more that the first place limitations from the injury would show up is in Danny's defense. After the slow return it is a bit surprising that he's done so well so quickly, even against backups for the most part. That said, I think he broke even when he was forced to be on Melo last night (he got waxed a couple of times and forced Melo into bad shots a couple of others).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think it is more that the first place limitations from the injury would show up is in Danny's defense. After the slow return it is a bit surprising that he's done so well so quickly, even against backups for the most part. That said, I think he broke even when he was forced to be on Melo last night (he got waxed a couple of times and forced Melo into bad shots a couple of others).
    Danny is a fairly cerebral player and though speed and leaping ability have never been his strongpoints I still would stay hes physically gifted...and that combined with his understated competitiveness/tenacity has made him capable of being a very good defender in this league...Melo can get the best of anyone and I believe Paul is on record as saying Melo is his toughest cover...because of his physicality and girth...its no secret that guys like Melo and Lebron-guys who are powerful & ultraphysical-tend to give the most fits to Paul...Paul counteracts both with speed and wingspan...whereas Danny has a decent wingspan and is able to be a bit more physical with them and battle them in the block than Paul is...Danny is certainly not the defender Paul is overall, but this one difference is just another reason that Danny is such a wonderful complement to Paul...and then you have Lance that is probably in between the two...which again makes them one helluva 3 man wing rotation...as we are beginning to see...and why we should all be excited if/when Danny gets back to 100% and all 3 are running on all cylinders...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

I believe Paul has a 6'11" wingspan (or at least he did when he was a rookie, maybe it got wider when he grew taller) and Danny has a 7'2" wingspan. Actually, I think Lance has a 6'11" wingspan himself, which is great.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Surprising to who??

Merely surprising given his health situation. When your knees/legs are acting up, defense is normally the first thing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post

Ha, that was a fun read. I do miss the feeling we had last year when we beat them in the playoffs. They were the 54 win team and we were the young underdog in the eyes of the national media. It was awesome to play spoiler to the dream NY-Miami match-up that the NBA elite were obviously hoping for. It's amazing how quickly things change in a year. Now it's just sad to watch the Knicks play against us. They are so completely outmatched and don't have a single advantage over us.

The crowd was great last. Playing the Knicks always seems to amp the crowd up.

Is it just me or have the Knicks NEVER recovered from Roy blocking Melo last year in the playoffs? It's like it he took a part of their soul..... and then took another part when Melo tried to dunk on him again last night.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Is it just me or have the Knicks NEVER recovered from Roy blocking Melo last year in the playoffs? It's like it he took a part of their soul..... and then took another part when Melo tried to dunk on him again last night.

Yeah, I think that series gave them a permanent hangover that they might not ever recover from. Going into that series, they obviously were feeling good about themselves since they won 54 games, were red hot down the stretch, slayed the Celtics, and had home court against us. I'm sure they were feeling that an ECF's match-up against Miami was their destiny. But then we stole that Game 1 at MSG and they never recovered. We just kept punching them and punching them in the three games at Indy. Their body language at the end of that series was that of a defeated team. I think it's pretty clear that it carried over to this season. They know they aren't a true contender for the NBA Finals or even the ECF's. They also know that they aren't going to get any better with this crew and that last year was their peak.

one thing I noticed about David West, I can't remember exactly when it was but jr smith and him were next to each other on the free throw line. He leaned into jr and said something to him and patted him on the back. Then jr said something back and again west leaned in and said something and patted him on the head. I know it's a player on another team but that was just cool to see west be a leader in general to guys that may not be on the right path.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    one thing I noticed about David West, I can't remember exactly when it was but jr smith and him were next to each other on the free throw line. He leaned into jr and said something to him and patted him on the back. Then jr said something back and again west leaned in and said something and patted him on the head. I know it's a player on another team but that was just cool to see west be a leader in general to guys that may not be on the right path.
    Or he could have been saying "Don't even look at my kicks fool...good boy! (pat pat pat).
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

But he is absolutely killing it here. Lance is hot and cold, but when he's hot, he's HOT.
    Did you just disagree with yourself, Ace?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I believe Paul has a 6'11" wingspan (or at least he did when he was a rookie, maybe it got wider when he grew taller) and Danny has a 7'2" wingspan. Actually, I think Lance has a 6'11" wingspan himself, which is great.
    Wow I had no idea. Very surprising that Danny has a longer wing span than Paul and actually quit a bit longer at that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

According to DX:

Paul George has a 6'11.25" wingspan.

Danny Granger has a 7'1.5" wingspan.

Lance Stephenson has a 6'10.5" wingspan.

Our whole team has great size and wingspan. In fact, I'll quote myself from last year's Defensive Pacer of the Year thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...-Of-the-Year):

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    And he is right. Our whole team is tall and long (yeah, I know, that's what she said ). It's true.

Seriously, let's take a look:

Roy Hibbert: 7'2 ft, 7'4 (?) wingspan (not sure about that, couldn't find a definite source)

David West: 6'9 ft, 7'4 wingspan

Paul George: 6'10 (or 6'9) ft, 6'11 wingspan

Lance Stephenson: 6'6 ft, 6'10 wingspan

George Hill: 6'2 ft, 6'9 wingspan

----

Ian Mahinmi: 6'11 ft, 7'7 wingspan

Tyler Hansbrough: 6'9 ft, 6'11 wingspan

Gerald Green: 6'7 ft, 6'10 wingspan

Orlando Johnson: 6'5 ft, 6'11 (!!!) wingspan

DJ Augustin: 5'11 (or 6'0 ft), 6'3 wingspan

Jeff Pendergraph: 6'10 ft, 7'1 wingspan
    Tyler, Gerald, Jeff and DJ are out and here are the numbers of our new members:

Luis Scola: 6'9 ft, I have no idea about his wingspan (he has a site but his wingpsan is not stated there)

CJ Watson: 6'1.75" ft, 6'6 wingspan

Chris Copeland: 6'9 ft, I have no idea about his wingpsan either (although it seems to be around 6'10 or 6'11)

Solomon Hill: 6'7 ft, 6'9 wingspan

Rasual Butler: 6'7.5" ft, 7'0 wingspan

Donald Sloan: 6'3 ft, 6'5 wingspan

We basically upgraded our length this off-season as well simply by switching DJ with CJ and Sloan.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Surprising to who??

Agreed. I've yet to be "impressed" with Danny's defense. I mean, he's obviously been willing and reasonably solid. Right now, he's no worse than the guys whose minutes he's taken. But I think he can get better. H
    e's still a half-step slow from where he'll end up.

I see him continuing to improve on the defensive end.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Nice to see Luis have such great team spirit and esprit de corpse there.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

"Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'm betting Danny also has a wider body and shoulders than Paul, and Paul may have longer arms. So when you see them out there playing it seems like Paul would have a wider wingspan, when in actuality Danny has the wide wingspan.

Lance is just has freakishly long arms, and it plays a big part in him being able to make plays around the rim like he does.

Sports Logo

Here's another interesting stat about this game.

Chris Copeland had the same amount of rebounds that Lance did (4). Both of them had more rebounds than West (3). That's a bit weird but it's nice to see Cope grab some boards

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014