Thread: Vince carter had a front row seat for the "Miracle on Hudson" plane crash

Default Vince carter had a front row seat for the "Miracle on Hudson" plane crash

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...n-plane-crash/

The Extra Pass: Vince Carter had a front row seat for the “Miracle on Hudson” plane crash

LOS ANGELES — “They have to be shooting a movie or something.”

That was Vince Carter’s first thought.

Five years ago yesterday, the morning of Jan. 15, 2009, Carter woke up in the bedroom of his home in Edgewater New Jersey, and was lazily sitting on his bed just looking out the window of his home with a view of the Hudson River, when into his peripheral vision he sees a plane flying entirely too low and looking like it was going down.

That turned out to be US Airways Flight 1549 out of LaGuardia Airport — the “Miracle on the Hudson” plane. It had taken off like thousands of other flights out of that airport when a couple geese flew in front of the plane, got sucked into the engines and sent the plane down. Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger III became a national hero that day for safely landing the plane on the water in a way that all of the 155 passengers and crew survived.

Carter had no idea what he was witnessing at first.

“I was sitting in my bedroom looking out the window, and all of a sudden, like not a minute later a freakin’ plane lands in the Hudson,” Carter said before his current team the Mavericks took on the Los Angeles Clippers Wednesday night.

“I was sitting in my bed and it was literally right outside my window,” Carter said. “So when the plane lands, I see the current turning the plane, I see the door open and the first two people jump out, and it was cold that day, and they start swimming, swimming, then they turn around because it’s a little too cold and the next thing you know everybody is on the wing.”

Within a couple minutes Carter was outside talking to his neighbors, they heard the sirens of the first responders racing to the scene, and they saw the rescue efforts first hand as ferries started to swing by and pick up the stranded passengers.

You can put Carter in the Sullenberger fan club, one a lot of people were in after that day.

“When it hit the water it was a smooth landing, like he was landing on a runway…” Carter said while using his hands to show how it came in relatively parallel to the Hudson, like a seaplane landing. “He put it right down, smooth. I mean of course that big ol’ plane hitting the water was loud, there was a ‘boom’ but the plane was intact. It was amazing.”

Carter called the Nets’ trainer and said he was going to be a little late to shootaround that day, and this was a pretty good excuse. Carter said he tried to offer tickets to Sullenberger for the game that night, but as you might imagine by that point the pilot had a few other things going on.

“I was in awe that it happened and I got to witness it.”

So how did that impact a guy whose job has him flying around 100 times a year?

“You’re a little leery of course when you get on planes,” he said with a laugh. “I’m like, ‘he’s not flying? I’m nervous.’ It was just amazing, he saved a lot of lives.”

—Kurt Helin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vince carter had a front row seat for the "Miracle on Hudson" plane crash

As a pilot myself I know first hand What capt sully and crew did was nothing short of amazing, many before have tried and failed killing scores in the process. His previous glider training sure did come in handy that day. That crew of 1549 deserves all the praise they get for a job well done.
    Impossible Is Nothing

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vince carter had a front row seat for the "Miracle on Hudson" plane crash

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a pilot myself I know first hand What capt sully and crew did was nothing short of amazing, many before have tried and failed killing scores in the process. His previous glider training sure did come in handy that day. That crew of 1549 deserves all the praise they get for a job well done.
    By chance, I was reading about this landing on Wikipedia the other day. What is "glider training?"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    By chance, I was reading about this landing on Wikipedia the other day. What is "glider training?"
    I think it is "training flying a glider". HTH. HAND.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

^ OK, I guess I should have asked, what is a "glider?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

^ OK, I guess I should have asked, what is a "glider?"
    It's a plane without an engine. It gets pulled by another plane to take off, then you ride the wind.

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I work in the industry as well and Romsey is right. The crew of 1549 deserve every ounce of praise they get. Getting that bird down safely and getting the passengers out calmly and safely was a tremendous job.

Watching that plane land on the Hudson was amazing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's a plane without an engine. It gets pulled by another plane to take off, then you ride the wind.

Oh my god why would you get in/build something like this? It's like purposely making a boat with a hole in its hull.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh my god why would you get in/build something like this? It's like purposely making a boat with a hole in its hull.
    Lmao , that's funny
    Impossible Is Nothing