Thread: CBS discussing potentially major changes to NFL pregame show

Default CBS discussing potentially major changes to NFL pregame show

http://thebiglead.com/2014/01/15/cbs...-pregame-show/

CBS, disappointed that its NFL pregame show fell further behind rival Fox in the ratings this season, is internally discussing major changes to the show, multiple sources tell The Big Lead. FOX NFL Sunday had its best season ever, averaging 4.8 million viewers in 2013, while The NFL Today on CBS was a distant 2nd at 3.3 million viewers. A CBS spokesperson had no comment this week when asked about the following changes that the network is considering. It’s unclear which – if any – of these will actually happen, but sources say the following is being discussed:

• Bringing in recently-retired tight end Tony Gonzalez to replace Shannon Sharpe. Gonzalez and CBS have been in talks about joining the show, but he’s West Coast-based, and the show is out of New York. Gonzalez is wrestling with the idea of weekly travel during the season. FOX’s show is based in LA and appears to be an ideal fit, but it can’t offer him a spot because it isn’t going to tinker with the show’s chemistry. Given the option of Fox Sports 1 or NFL Today on CBS, what would you do? The other issue is that Gonzalez and Sharpe or apparently close friends. Another option: Simply adding Gonzalez. But is six people on the set too many?

• Replacing Dan Marino. There was plenty of scuttlebutt last year that Marino would be replaced after the “love child” stories hit the press. CBS, the most conservative of the networks, didn’t make a move. The problem with replacing Marino this year? There aren’t any star QBs retiring to take his spot. Unless …

* The other name to watch is Peyton Manning. While there are no indications that Manning will retire if he wins a second Super Bowl, CBS privately has discussed the idea of pitching Manning a dual role: a spot on the new CBS College Football Saturday set and a spot on The NFL Today. Manning will be immensely coveted by all the networks whenever he retires, and his background in the SEC playing for Tennessee, plus the fact he spent his entire career in the AFC, are no-brainers for CBS.

* One source said that CBS had been hoping to land Rex Ryan if the Jets had fired their coach. He was a perfect fit for CBS – proximity to New York, knowledge of the AFC, and his blustery nature. But the Jets retained Ryan, reportedly on a 1-year deal. There’s a chance both Ryan and Manning would be available after the 2014 season. Or neither could be. Then is CBS stuck with the same group for two more years?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CBS discussing potentially major changes to NFL pregame show

IMO, the ratings discrepancy between FOX and CBS is because the NFC has most of the big market teams, therefore FOX benefits in the ratings. Personally, I just flip it on early to whatever channel the Colts are on. So 14 times a year that is CBS, and twice a year it is FOX. If I were say a Niners fan, it would be the opposite. I have a feeling that most people are like that.

NFC big markets: The most popular NY team, Philadelphia, Dallas (huge national following too), Washington, Chicago, San Francisco (large national presence too), Green Bay (huge national following).

AFC big markets: Stepchild NY team, Boston (decent national following), Miami (how many people there care though?), Pittsburgh (huge national following), Houston (franchise has no history though), and I guess you could say that Denver is big since they are the only big city in the region, plus that team has a bit of a national following.

It's not even close. The NFC encompasses virtually all of the major US markets. They also have virtually all of the teams with the huge national followings aside from Pitt. FOX will always have an advantage because they carry the Conference with the mega markets. Trading Shannon Sharpe for Tony Gonzalez isn't going to fix anything. FOX securing the NFC package in the mid 90's was absolutely brilliant.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Honestly, I just watch ESPN Sunday NFL countdown. ESPN does a lot of stupid things and I can't stand them, but their NFL coverage and team I think is the best of the 4 networks.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I just watch ESPN Sunday NFL countdown. ESPN does a lot of stupid things and I can't stand them, but their NFL coverage and team I think is the best of the 4 networks.
    I always turn ESPN on at 10 and like their program, but I'm usually ready for a change by noon. Noon is when I change the channel and get into Colts mode.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If it's a 1:05 kickoff, I turn the TV on at 1:04.

I don't care for any of those pregame shows - or the people on them. And how does anyone understand what Sharpe is saying anyway ??

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its kinda like ESPN vs TNT for basketball. Fox is just more entertaining.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

I don't care for any of those pregame shows - or the people on them. And how does anyone understand what Sharpe is saying anyway ??
    Most of it is background noise for me to be honest I mean it kills time till kickoff it goes by fast.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is what I do. I cannot stand any of the pregame shows and I just check my fantasy team about a half hour before kickoff.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me too, although I don't cut it that close, I like to get settled in before the game actually starts. Usually the only time I will tune into pregame stuff is when I have nothing to do that I can finish before the game starts, which is never for the NFL (church), and rare for the Pacers (maybe once every ten games or so).

Whoa I've heard rumors but I didn't think they were actually going to do it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...tony-gonzalez/

CBS Dumps Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, Adds Tony Gonzalez

CBS Sports has finally overhauled its NFL pregame show.

CBS announced Tuesday that Tony Gonzalez has joined “The NFL Today” as an analyst, working alongside James Brown, Bill Cowher, and Boomer Esiason. The Big Lead first reported CBS’ flirtation with Gonzalez.

CBS also announced the departures of Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, wishing them “the best” as “they pursue other professional opportunities” (CBS, 2/18). Marino and Sharpe both had long tenures at CBS, the former joining the network in 2002 and the latter in 2004.

Gonzalez is the first addition to the CBS pregame show since Cowher joined the cast in 2007. Meanwhile, Marino and Sharpe are the first departures since Greg Gumbel was replaced by Brown in 2006.

Sports Logo

Good riddance to Sharpe, that marble mouth sucked. Marino was OK usually though. Jeff Saturday's not on any of ESPN's pregame stuff is he? Somebody's gonna poach him if he isn't soon, he's been really good in the Sportscenter stuff I've seen him on.

So they're getting rid of two and only adding one, yet they expect it to help their ratings? I get dumping Sharpe for Gonzalez, but the move to get rid of Marino is a bit perplexing. He's not the greatest analyst ever, but he is decent at it and has a lot of clout since he is one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. I just don't get how trading Sharpe and Marino for Tony Gonzalez, someone who has never done this before, is going to fix anything. Maybe they will be adding someone else who hasn't been announced yet?

Regardless, I don't think this will change anything. Like I said earlier in the thread, FOX has the NFC, which contains most of the large market and popular teams. FOX will always hold a ratings advantage over CBS because of this. I'm guessing that a huge percentage of people are like myself and simply turn on the TV to whatever channel their favorite team is on. I like the FOX pregame show, but the Colts are usually on CBS so I turn it on CBS early by default since they are the ones who will be talking about the Colts upcoming game.

I'm curious why they fired Marino though I mean who are they going to replace him with?

If it was over the love child scandal they would've fired him last year why wait till now?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm curious why they fired Marino though I mean who are they going to replace him with?

If it was over the love child scandal they would've fired him last year why wait till now?
    You have to think that they have their eye on someone else. I don't see how anyone could think that trading Sharpe and Marino for Gonzalez is going to be some magical ratings cure all. It just makes no sense.

It would really be funny if Gonzo decided to play again and they lost two people for nothing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Fox is just more entertaining.

A few things I don't like about CBS
    1) Their jokes are way too corny and mostly unfunny
    2) I get sick of regardless how awful the Steelers are, Cowher still picks them to win, and tries desperately to convince everyone WHY they will win.
    3) Shannon Sharpe acting like certain things would/wouldn't happen if he were in that lockerroom and just his overall condenscending upon others.

A few reasons why I like FOX
    1) Both FOX and CBS analysts are knowledgable....but FOX knows their stuff, and they have fun with it.
    2) Unlike Cowher, these guys aren't bias about picking against their old teams.
    3) I was never a big, big fan of Frank Caliendo, but some of his old pick segments were funny...and Riggle's had some hilarious pick segments that's had me rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You have to think that they have their eye on someone else. I don't see how anyone could think that trading Sharpe and Marino for Gonzalez is going to be some magical ratings cure all. It just makes no sense.

It would really be funny if Gonzo decided to play again and they lost two people for nothing.
    It could a total revamp of the format to the point they want fewer voices giving more time to existing voices or to utilize the time differently... Maybe more time for clips or filmed reports or something.

Or heck... Just a way to do the show cheaper. Maybe the ratings won't matter as much if they can really cut costs on the show while not harming ratings?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

They may not need to add another they will have 4 people which should be enough: J.B., Cowher, Boomer and Tony G

This could be interesting

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-today-in-2014

Bart Scott joins CBS Sports' 'The NFL Today' in 2014

Former Ravens and Jets linebacker Bart Scott will join The NFL Today in 2014, CBS Sports announced Monday. Scott spent Sundays last season on CBS Sports Network's The Other Pregame Show (TOPS).

"Bart joining The NFL Today is a natural progression from his outstanding work during his first season on TOPS," said CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus. "Bart brings a dynamic personality and unique perspective as a recently retired player providing strong opinions on all the hot-button issues on a weekly basis. We are confident he will continue to bring that perspective and those opinions to The NFL Today."

Scott and former Falcons tight end and future first ballot Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez will be the two new faces on set. They will join James Brown, Boomer Esiason, Bill Cowher and insider Jason La Canfora, while Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe are departing the Sunday pregame show.

"Having just stepped off the playing field, Tony brings a fresh and insightful perspective," McManus said of Gonzalez last week. "As a future Hall of Famer, we are excited for him to share his knowledge, experiences and opinions with our viewers. Tony was one of the most respected and hardworking players in the NFL and a tremendous teammate. We look forward to him bringing these attributes to CBS Sports."

Scott's NFL career spanned 11 seasons, including a four-year stint with the Jets that coincided with Rex Ryan's arrival and ended in 2012.