Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My sonís first Pacers game was ruined by carousing bozo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My sonís first Pacers game was ruined by carousing bozo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous. The man could have just fallen trying to get back to his seat. (Ushering by other people in their seats doesn't always leave much room). Yet, she is blaming Pacer games? It's too bad her son got hurt... but was this story worth writing an article over? Nope.
    When a person's kid get hurts all rationality goes out the window. The fact that Indy Star ran this article when it is clearly fielded by emotion and not rational thought just speaks volumes about their quality.

I've taken my daughter to a few games this year and have never been slightly concerned about her safety. Just be aware of your surroundings (like anywhere). If someone seems drunk they shouldn't be hard to avoid. If they are sitting near you, have an usher address the issue. If a drunk person falls on your kid, understand that shoot happens (very rarely) and enjoy the free tickets I'm sure you can get if it's that big of a deal. If it happened to us I'm sure my wife might have a few words for the person but it would never stop us from attending games.

photo (1).JPG

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RandyWrinkles For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1) I hope you guys responding to me actually have a young son. Your perspective will change a lot.
    2) I don't know if the guy was drunk. But let's be real. You guys know what was probly goin' on.
    3) You knock my son's tooth out on his first trip to see his favorite team, one of two things are going to happen: 1) if you aren't visibly drunk and it truly appears to be accidental, I'll let you by with a light scolding. 2) if you've been tipping back a few and you fell on my son because you're feeling good, you are going to get a large earful from me.

If you don't like that, then this is what I suggest for you --- I suggest you don't get drunk and fall on my son and knock his tooth out. I don't know what else to tell ya. Lol.

I'm going to defend my son.

That said, I've taken my boy to Pacer games, and I've never had an incident or felt threatened.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    When a person's kid get hurts all rationality goes out the window. The fact that Indy Star ran this article when it is clearly fielded by emotion and not rational thought just speaks volumes about their quality.

Exactly. No one is saying that the lady shouldn't be upset. Seeing your 7 year old get hurt would upset any parent. But her whole dramatic article makes it seem like taking a young kid to a Pacer game is risking their safety. It was just a freak accident that could happen in any public place. I know that most people aren't silly enough to think that a Pacer game is a dangerous spot for a kid, but I still don't like how the hometown newspaper is allowing such a dramatic over-the-top article to be on the front page of the their website. The Pacers struggled with attendance for years and have just finally turned the corner with the community, so an article like this doesn't do them any good. I know that this won't deter people from going to games, but it's still pretty unnecessary to print this. It's not like Boomer and the Power Pack started beating her kid up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    1) I hope you guys responding to me actually have a young son. Your perspective will change a lot.
    2) I don't know if the guy was drunk. But let's be real. You guys know what was probly goin' on.
    3) You knock my son's tooth out on his first trip to see his favorite team, one of two things are going to happen: 1) if you aren't visibly drunk and it truly appears to be accidental, I'll let you by with a light scolding. 2) if you've been tipping back a few and you fell on my son because you're feeling good, you are going to get a large earful from me.

If you don't like that, then this is what I suggest for you --- I suggest you don't get drunk and fall on my son and knock his tooth out. I don't know what else to tell ya. Lol.

That said, I've taken my boy to Pacer games, and I've never had an incident or felt threatened.
    I think a lot of people would agree with you that you handle it on site. You don't go using the Indianapolis Star as your own personal platform to further scold the guy that reportedly apologized, and then also act like going to Pacer games is like going to an "eyes wide shut" party.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 01-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't take that from the article. I took it as someone just *****ing about someone's carelessness. I think some of you are taking this article as some attack on the Pacers environment...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I've taken my kids to countless Pacers game and never had any sort of issue.

I've taken them to one Padres game in San Diego and some carousing bozo came running up from a lower section, barfed in the aisle right next to us, turned around and left. My youngest was closest to the aisle, but luckily was sitting cross legged in his seat and avoided the splatter.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I didn't take that from the article. I took it as someone just *****ing about someone's carelessness. I think some of you are taking this article as some attack on the Pacers environment...

People have warned us that Pacers games can turn into bacchanalias, suggesting they’re not places for kids.

Pretty over the top, IMHO.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

There is no reason for this to be anything more than a Facebook post. That's what I don't like.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    People have warned us that Pacers games can turn into bacchanalias, suggesting they’re not places for kids.

Pretty over the top, IMHO.
    Sure, it's over the top, but it's not exactly an attack either. The entire article is a *****-fest, and I've stated that I agree that the story isn't newsworthy, but some of the feedback this lady seems to be getting is pretty calloused. Words of advice --- don't come between a momma bear and her cub. As much as you might dislike the theory, that's how they are. And ya know what? It's a good thing.

Sure, it's over the top, but it's not exactly an attack either. The entire article is a *****-fest, and I've stated that I agree that the story isn't newsworthy, but some of the feedback this lady seems to be getting is pretty calloused. Words of advice --- don't come between a momma bear and her cub. As much as you might dislike the theory, that's how they are. And ya know what? It's a good thing.
    I'm not as irritated at the lady as much as I am at The $tar. I expect the lady to be emotional after her son got hurt, but the newspaper should be a bit more rational when deciding whether or not to run it on their front page.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    with AT&T Park for Giants games being in second.
    I saw a Giants-Cubs game at that park in 2008. Fantastic ballpark. Definitely one of the greatest sports venues I've ever been to. The picturesque location on the bay is unparalleled.

At last night's IU game, a drunk fan fell into my wife and sent her over the seats in front of her. It messed up her leg pretty bad. Luckily for that guy (and probably for me) I wasn't there, but that kind of stuff infuriates me.

But if a drunk guy landed on my son during a Pacers game.....

Having said that, there's been an anti-Pacers feel to the IndyStar since at least 2004, and this article does nothing to change that. I understand the Star wants to beef up it's amount of content, but putting a lower-quality article on the front page is really going out of the way. I don't know how else it can be interpreted.
    Last edited by imawhat; 01-16-2014 at 12:30 AM.

I understand being mad, but the hyperbole about the crowd was a bit much. Furthermore, it's the Star's decision to call this newsworthy is what bothers me. There is no reason to run this story. It's not like security didn't respond, it's not like the Pacers are at fault. This is a personal matter, and it has no business being in a newspaper, especially the only daily paper in a fairly large city. It's easy to interpret this as a subtle attack on the Pacers. The Star and some local people in general search for faults with the team and organization.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I just can't imagine The $tar ever running an article implying that Colts games aren't a place for kids. Blue the Colt could beat up one of the kickoff kids, but that still wouldn't be enough for them to run an article like this.

For a long time, the Pacers definitely reaped what they sewed when it came to bad front page headlines. But this was just a silly thing to run when the team is doing so well and the fans are back. They Pacers don't deserve even the slightest bit of negativity right now.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-16-2014 at 12:48 AM.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If I had a son, and a bozo landed on him, I certainly would be pissed, especially if the guy was horseplaying around or drunk. I'd probably give him an earful. However, it's not front page of the city's newspaper worthy. It's no different then getting in a car wreck. Should we avoid the roads because accidents happen? I'm sorry that this mom and her son had a bad experience, but flukes happen everywhere. If you are worried about it so much, then you're probably worried about living in general.

As for bad sports fan experiences, my dad took my brother and I to a preseason Colts-Bengals game in the RCA Dome early 90's. We were in the mid-tier of the stands, and I remember seeing two drunk guys (one a Colts' fan, the other a Bengals) beat each other up while the loser ended up with a bloodied face and throwing up hot dogs and beer in the aisle. Pretty unpleasant experience and overshadowed the game, but contrary to some people's belief, I wasn't scarred for life.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

If this had happened at a Colts game, would it be a story in the Star?

I think it's a fair question.

Edit: Sollozzo basically beat me to it.
    Last edited by rabid; 01-16-2014 at 01:41 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the kid is a drama queen its quite obvious where he gets it from...Theres definitely an underlying agenda here....Whether the parents are Bulls or Heat Fans or they werent happy with someones response to the situation at BLF or Larry Bird dumped their aunt when the two were dating in HS...but there is obviously more to this than meets the eye...

Only been to a few Pacer games, the worst I ever had to deal with was some annoying Bobcats fans who kept shouting "Rio" (this was less than a week after the incident) at Stephen Jackson. Also they kept screaming for Adam Morrison to look at them.

Now at the Indy 500...well nothing as bad as the article but I did almost get doused with beer by a wayward toss of a half full can. I was pretty annoyed, I mean, it was about 9 am at the time.

Let's face it though, there's plenty of bozos out there an beer and sports can be a powerful inhibition destroyer. Stuff can and does happen.
    Last edited by Ransom; 01-16-2014 at 02:49 AM.

If she can safely assume this guy was a drunk bozo, than i'll safely assume dad must of been on a beer run, because he sure as hell wasnt there helping mom with the kids ( which i'm also safely assuming since assumptions are flying around ).

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

As someone who responds to this type of thing for a living, parents tend to be EXTREMELY dramatic when their kid gets hurt.

As someone mentioned earlier, I doubt blood was "gushing" from this child's mouth. I can't count the number of times my dispatch has told us "Parents are advising there is blood everywhere", only for us to find a very minor injury.

Sorry her son got hurt and she had a bad time, but past experience has me skeptical of the alleged bloodbath in her child's mouth
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I raised 5 kids (3 girls, 2 boys) and lost the oldest boy at the age of 20. Hope that's enough credentials for my response.

All I can say is that "defending" involves being aware of what is going on around your kids, not just reacting after the fact. I'm sure as a parent you're VERY aware of that, it just doesn't come across that way.

I'd also be wondering:

- If the boy lost his baby tooth from someone falling against his face, that seems a little odd unless there was a belt buckle or hard wallet involved - especially since the guy fell from behind and above. He is 7 - that's when teeth are falling out like drunks from the rafters . Clearly there had been at least one Tooth Fairy incident in the past to confirm this.

- If the boy lost his tooth hitting the back of the seat, why was he facing that way? I know my kids were always trying to get knees up facing backwards to look around when at the games, was this just an accident of timing?

- "A giggle erupted from the mass" - this boy wasn't traumatized by the guy falling on him. That was fun! He was upset that he couldn't find his tooth. Had he found his tooth, it would have been all laughs and sunshine and roses and guess what the Tooth Fairy will leave tonight.

In any event, for those asking why people are interpreting this as a slam against the Pacers, look at this quote:

"People have warned us that Pacers games can turn into bacchanalias, suggesting they’re not places for kids."

The article seems meant to say, "hey, they're right" - even using a Colts game incident to make it sound like this happens All The Time.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A *****-fest has no place in what is supposed to be respectable journalism. I think most people's frustration at this is towards the Indy Star because this article should never have been posted. It just shows either Indy Star has an agenda or their quality is crap.

This articles serves no purpose at all. What is the point of her article? One incident magically makes the Pacer game unfriendly for families? What about all the other families that went there that night and had a great time? What about the time I took my nephews there and had a great time there? This is a Facebook post and nothing more, but because of her connections it gets posted.

I understand being upset at the time, but after the smoke clears and your kid is fine rational thought should return and see this as nothing more than an isolated incident that was probably just an accident.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dudes, I understand this, I've already stated it multiple times that this didn't need to be a published article. I completely agree. What I took issue to were people's responses saying the lady's actual response to the guy and the situation was handled poorly BY HER.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I raised 5 kids (3 girls, 2 boys) and lost the oldest boy at the age of 20. Hope that's enough credentials for my response.

All I can say is that "defending" involves being aware of what is going on around your kids, not just reacting after the fact. I'm sure as a parent you're VERY aware of that, it just doesn't come across that way.

I'd also be wondering:

- If the boy lost his baby tooth from someone falling against his face, that seems a little odd unless there was a belt buckle or hard wallet involved - especially since the guy fell from behind and above. He is 7 - that's when teeth are falling out like drunks from the rafters . Clearly there had been at least one Tooth Fairy incident in the past to confirm this.

- If the boy lost his tooth hitting the back of the seat, why was he facing that way? I know my kids were always trying to get knees up facing backwards to look around when at the games, was this just an accident of timing?

- "A giggle erupted from the mass" - this boy wasn't traumatized by the guy falling on him. That was fun! He was upset that he couldn't find his tooth. Had he found his tooth, it would have been all laughs and sunshine and roses and guess what the Tooth Fairy will leave tonight.

In any event, for those asking why people are interpreting this as a slam against the Pacers, look at this quote:

"People have warned us that Pacers games can turn into bacchanalias, suggesting they’re not places for kids."

The article seems meant to say, "hey, they're right" - even using a Colts game incident to make it sound like this happens All The Time.
    You're over-thinking this with all the scenarios. This isn't Law And Order. If you don't think I'm not "aware" of what's goin on around me, you are extremely funny. It doesn't matter if I'm aware or not. If a guy falls down from who knows how many rows and lands on my son, knocks his tooth out, stands up, says, "Gee", and then completely disappears with no other interaction, he's not getting the benefit of the doubt.

If I had fallen and landed on another person's child, I would've immediately become profusely apologetic, and then I would've stayed around for however long it required to make sure the kid was alright, the situation was under control and then I'd probly go buy the kid a souvenir. This guy said, "Gee", and poofed.

How his tooth got knocked out is irrelevant. Let's just say there was an impact of some variety, one hard enough to knock a tooth out. Going into the why's and how's and where's and was he facing backwards ---- doesn't matter. The kid was in his seat, next to his mom, and had his tooth knocked out.

What's weird to me is that you're almost defending this (likely drunk) dude instead of this 7-year old kid at his first Pacer game who unfortunately will probly never forget this. You're making all kinds of assumptions about this guy and the situation instead of just calling it for what it is --- he fell on a kid and knocked his tooth out. Then he poofed.

I wouldn't be happy about this, as a father. If you would've handled this differently, I don't know what else to tell ya. That is your own prerogative. The "giggle" thing for me isn't enough for me to say, "Hey, you know what pal? My son giggled after you knocked his tooth out, so... we're good, man. Don't worry about it." To me, this article wasn't about "how dangerous it is" at a Pacer game, rather than just a commentary on lack of conduct by some people.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.