Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: My sonís first Pacers game was ruined by carousing bozo

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My sonís first Pacers game was ruined by carousing bozo

Well when I take my son to the game I'm very aware of the people around me.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're implying I would fall on her?
    No I think you might try to defend Donnie and she might take exception to it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Many of you are acting like it is impossible to determine if a guy is drunk or not. Well this incident happended right before halftime, so they have been sitting behind you for over an hour, so you know if they have been drinking and if they are getting drunk and you know how they have been acting because you hear a lot of what the people directly behind you say. You also by this time an hour into the game have a very good idea who the guy is.

If I am sitting there with my kid and the guy is behind me there with his wife or children, doesn't appear to be drinking at all, then I would think it is an accident. if he has already made 5 beer runs down the steps and is getting louder and louder, then yes I would be much quicker to step in and handle the situation. My point is you get a very good feel for the people sitting directly in front of you and directly behind you. usually takes 10 minutes or so to have it nailed
    OK so if you should eb able to figure it out don't you take her inability to figure it out then as a sign the guy was not drunk?

Really, we had no good answer. Everyone who has heard the story immediately says, ďthe guy was drunk.Ē To be honest, checking the guyís inebriation status was not top of our mind.
    Maybe the guy was drunk I don't know but the writer admits she didn't know, and she admits she wasn't interested in an apology. I understand her being upset, I don't understand the desire to write an article about it.

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the people two rows behind me (remember, the row directly behind the writer was empty) unless they are really loud and obnoxious. If that's the case, then sure, you're right. But I'm usually looking down, not up.
    If those people sitting behind you had been traipsing up and down the aisle bringing back beer all night you would've noticed. You've been sitting in front row tell the crowd to stand up t-shirt cannon heaven for so long you've forgotten what it's like.

Anywho, the kid had some vague recollection of them wrestling. I have no idea how the parents have no idea.
    Last edited by MagicRat; 01-16-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Also let's talk about this quote

The most frustrating thing, as my son quickly deduced, was that this all could have been avoided, had the guy and his friend used some commonsense. Nor is it the first time this season that an innocent fan has been wounded by another ticket holder.
    After saying this is not the first time this season an innocent fan has been wounded...she goes from talking about the Pacers to....the Colts? Do they share the same season now? That is some wiley writing I tell you what.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think anyone is questioning how to tell if people are drunk. The problem is thinking that the proper way to handle the situation, is to get phsyical. It could very easily end up with you falling on someone else's kid.
    Again I don't think this is the proper way to handle it but the reactive way I am when it comes to small kids getting hurt by irresponsible people.

Heck I could say I am the freakin Pope and I would baptize him right then and there in a beer vat but I would be lying to you.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 01-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I can share another reason I'm a bit on the guy's side. The game against the Nets I got tickets for our whole family to go to the game. It was pretty much sold out by the time we knew they'd all be here, so I had to get some of the tickets about halfway up section 223. I got a custom jersey for my grandson, and it was delivered to me about the middle of the second quarter. I headed up to give it to him.

They were sitting in the middle seats of the row, and I had to sidle across a bunch of people to get to them during a timeout. The people in the intervening seats tried to move but there was still very little room for my feet to move past. As I got to my family, I tripped over one guys leg and came within an inch of pitching down into the seats below me. One guy had to grab me to keep me from falling. If I'd had a drink in my hand instead of a jersey, it would have been all over the place.

I'd had a beer at that point. I don't think I was drunk, I was certainly able to maneuver every other place I'd had to go that night, but those seats can be downright dangerous getting into and out of.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    If you got a dollar for everytime a kid got knocked over in a mall, wouldn't you just run around knocking over every kid you saw, screaming "trader joe gots to get paid!"
    ...still making me chuckle...

I'm not proud of that, I'm just sayin'...

I guess I can share another reason I'm a bit on the guy's side. The game against the Nets I got tickets for our whole family to go to the game. It was pretty much sold out by the time we knew they'd all be here, so I had to get some of the tickets about halfway up section 223. I got a custom jersey for my grandson, and it was delivered to me about the middle of the second quarter. I headed up to give it to him.

They were sitting in the middle seats of the row, and I had to sidle across a bunch of people to get to them during a timeout. The people in the intervening seats tried to move but there was still very little room for my feet to move past. As I got to my family, I tripped over one guys leg and came within an inch of pitching down into the seats below me. One guy had to grab me to keep me from falling. If I'd had a drink in my hand instead of a jersey, it would have been all over the place.

I'd had a beer at that point. I don't think I was drunk, I was certainly able to maneuver every other place I'd had to go that night, but those seats can be downright dangerous getting into and out of.
    That is a good point. I have tripped while trying to cross in front of people at Pacers games, Movie theaters........bottom line I think is none of us know what happended here as I don't think we have much trust in the writer to have an unbiased perspective

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

That is a good point. I have tripped while trying to cross in front of people at Pacers games, Movie theaters........bottom line I think is none of us know what happended here as I don't think we have much trust in the writer to have an unbiased perspective
    And she should be biased, I just think it was really amateur and unprofessional by both her and the star to write a whole article about the event. I honestly don't have any problem with how she reacted in the heat of the moment, but I feel like she should have taken a step back before writing the article.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yep. I've had a woman fall on top of me while in the upper level. She was a larger woman and she slipped while trying to slide over to her seat. I don't think she was drunk, she just fell because it is tight up there.

I've had a drunk slam into me while running down the sidewalk. I don't blame the city of Indianapolis for that. I'm not avoiding all sidewalks because of it either. Things happen. That's life. This woman's child is going to get hurt. He is going to get hurt because of somebody else. That doesn't mean you go out and write an article blaming people for it. Accidents happen.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

I've probably almost fell at least once at every game I have ever gone to. Granted I have a bum knee. But what if that were the case with this guy? Would all this vitreous hate turn to sympathy?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    I've probably almost fell at least once at every game I have ever gone to. Granted I have a bum knee. But what if that were the case with this guy? Would all this vitreous hate turn to sympathy?
    It might be time to apply for those special seats if you have fallen nearly every time you have gone. I know if I had a choice to watch a game I would much rather be in the handicap row than up in the nose bleeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    It might be time to apply for those special seats if you have fallen nearly every time you have gone. I know if I had a choice to watch a game I would much rather be in the handicap row than up in the nose bleeds.
    Reread what I wrote

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Accidents and drunkenness both happen all the times at Pacers games.

We had beer spilled all over the back of us on Tuesday night in the Club Level by the obnoxiously drunk guys in the row behind us. Had my niece or nephew been with me, I probably would have alerted the usher. Their language was pretty offensive and I am not at all easily offended. The staff/ushers do a great job of dealing with things like this, but they can't see everything.

I have been to hundreds of games. I have accidentally fallen twice. It's pretty easy to do. Accidents happen.

Saying all of that, I think it's pretty ridiculous that this had to be published by the Star. It seems more like a Facebook/Tumblr rant than anything.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Reread what I wrote
    I think it was a serious helpful suggestion. The handicapped seats aren't just for wheelchairs, and if you have a bad knee that makes it even harder for you to get around in the narrow seats you should take advantage of it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

I think it was a serious helpful suggestion. The handicapped seats aren't just for wheelchairs, and if you have a bad knee that makes it even harder for you to get around in the narrow seats you should take advantage of it.
    Doctors and Insurance companies argue that my knee is bad so I doubt I could swing it. When it comes to how your body feels, you can not begin to imagine how many peoples opinions are more respected.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Doctors and Insurance companies argue that my knee is bad so I doubt I could swing it. When it comes to how your body feels, you can not begin to imagine how many peoples opinions are more respected.
    They don't ask many questions. As long as the seat is available, you can request it.
    BillS

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

I actually spoke with the author the other day. She seems like a parent who constantly shelters her child and never lets him see sunlight without her always watching him.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Maybe the guy was drunk I don't know but the writer admits she didn't know, and she admits she wasn't interested in an apology. I understand her being upset, I don't understand the desire to write an article about it.
    Because she just happens to work for The Star, there was an opening and she knew this would spark interest.

Undefeated

Hadn't thought of it that way. Probably doesn't deserve to be, but I blame the idiot bozo who fell on the kid.
    Why? I see someone fall down the stairs at Bankers life pretty much every game. I've seen numerous people fall down onto people below. It has nothing to do with being drunk, and everything to do with the incredibly steep stairs. Mostly I've seen sober women fall (wearing heels) but I've seen just about every demographic lose it on those stairs. Hell, I have a friend who won't even sit in the upper deck because it's to steep and gives him vertigo.

Also, the lady who wrote this story is rude and obnoxious. She immediately judges the people involved, ignores their apologies, and blames everyone without taking into account any circumstances. She is essentially making the world a worse place for everyone involved. She needs to grow up and realize that accidents happen. If she can't do that, then she should just stay at home. Imagine what she would write about the person who spins out on ice and crashes into her car with her son in the back??
    Danger Zone

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I actually spoke with the author the other day. She seems like a parent who constantly shelters her child and never lets him see sunlight without her always watching him.
    Poor kid is now getting punished because of an accident that he didn't even cause. She is like the Pacer Game Nazi. "No Pacers for you!"

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Helicopter Mom
    BillS

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

The reason for the article and the style of the writing makes perfect sense now.

I find it strange that she is thinking about why did it happen. As if it was on purpose or some plot against her and her family. Seems like a strange question. Either it was an accident, or the guy was being a jerk. Forget it and move on. And how can you be sure it won't happen again. Well chances are it won't. but that is life