Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulls Eye Lance Stephenson?

Default Re: Bulls Eye Lance Stephenson?

If there's not any lingering concerns about Lance's maturity in the FO and how that will continue to integrate with the team, then they will do what it takes to keep him. He helps the team win and he's a fan favorite. He also is the piece making the team a one of a select few teams who could legitimately be expected to win the championship.

You don't let that situation be weakened if you're actually interested in remaining among the elite of the elite.

If they think he's a ticking time bomb then that changes things.... But I don't get the feeling they think he's a ticking time bomb. He might still have some growing up to do to better focus his energies and emotions but he's not Artest crazy either.

If the team does let him go I don't think it's a given they re-sign Granger either. It's Lance they will be worried about replacing first and foremost and Granger is not a suitable replacement for Lance. IMO.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Man seeing Lance walk would be hard enough. But seeing him go to the Bulls would be even worse...:x
    On the Lance bandwagon

I know it's a business and no matter how much you like a team or management, money always talks.

But I haven't felt the way I do about Lance's FA status with any other player.

I don't feel like Lance has any interest in another team. These are his guys. He wants to run with THIS team. His boss loves him. His teammates love him.

We will offer him a fair deal and I think he stays without much concern.

Other players we/other teams have had can say the right thing: "I love this team. I want to stay" and proceed to dart the next day. I truly don't think Lance is like that.

It's just a feeling, but a weird feeling at that
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge_24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't see Lance and Rose working well with each other. If Stephenson developed an even better jumper? Rose and Stephenson would be so deadly.
    You can't? Oh my goodness would they be scary in transition.

I wonder if the team might look to move George Hill to make room for Lance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Impossible Is Nothing

I could see the Bulls being able to sell Lance on this. Bring into the stadium, turn the lights off, play the music, Jordan montage on the video mixed with the idea he can be the "next" one. Sell him on DRose and him being the best backcourt in the league. Tell him he can be the man, show him the money. Warn him about being a "role palyer" for Indiana vs the king of Chicago. Scares me, because I could completely see this happening and him lapping it up. I wish Carmello on them instead, that would take care of Lance going there and make them not a viable contender.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is also from the Knicks board

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=24&t=1297716

Here are some post.

Re: OT: bulls target melo/james,Stephenson plan b.
    by ibraheim718 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Lance is pretty much the perfect backcourt running mate for Rose.. what Rose lacks in playmaking ability Lance can supplement quite nicely. Stephenson has always had the talent what was missing was the maturity.. and while he may act out a little bit he doesn't go too far anymore. I think this is a terrific plan B for Chicago.. sign a player right before he's about to elevate his game to the next level.

RE: OT: BULLS TARGET MELO/JAMES,STEPHENSON PLAN B.
    by blueNorange on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:57 pm

stephenson is soooo overrated, he's playing under a coach who's a disciplinarian.

quote me on this, the second stephenson signs a big deal and is 'the man'(in his mind) he'll be the same punk that threw his step dad down the stairs.

by ibraheim718 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:01 pm

blueNorange wrote:
    stephenson is soooo overrated, he's playing under a coach who's a disciplinarian.

quote me on this, the second stephenson signs a big deal and is 'the man'(in his mind) he'll be the same punk that threw his step dad down the stairs.

You don't think Thibs is a disciplinarian?

And how do you overrate 13/7/5 as the 4th option on offense?

by Pharmcat on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 pm

the fact that stepehnson is on bulls FA radar shows how much of a talent he is and how valuable he can be

total shame walsh passed up on him

Pharmcat
    Global Mod

And1: 512

by Marty McFly on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
    the fact that stepehnson is on bulls FA radar shows how much of a talent he is and how valuable he can be

total shame walsh passed up on him

how many times are you going to repeat this? yeah, walsh shat the bed a lot, but indiana is not nyc. lance would be jr smith 2.0 in a knick uniform right now.

This post made me laugh

by j4remi on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm

My hope is that the Bulls overpay Stephenson to pry him from Indy weakening the Pacers and limiting the Bulls future prospects...But I can't picture Stephenson leaving Indy without a big raise, that team is perfect for him.

I'd love Stephenson on the Knicks tbh...but I wouldn't trust him to stay focused under this
    by j4remi on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm

My hope is that the Bulls overpay Stephenson to pry him from Indy weakening the Pacers and limiting the Bulls future prospects...But I can't picture Stephenson leaving Indy without a big raise, that team is perfect for him.

I'd love Stephenson on the Knicks tbh...but I wouldn't trust him to stay focused under this management.

by AmazingJason on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:11 pm

Lance Stephenson is essentially LeBron James but three inches shorter.

by frizzledizzle on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 am

SuperflyKnick wrote:
    I don't get how the hell is Stevenson plan B after Lebron and Carmelo ? I mean that's like saying ok if I dont get Jordan or Dominique I'll just settle with V maxwell

He's 23 and Kings fans think he's better than Tyreke Evans. Look how much Evans got paid... Stephenson's not putting up huge numbers in the points category, but he's also on a team where he doesn't have to. Everyone but Paul George averages 13 points or less while Paul George averages like 23. Pacers continue to win.

In other words... a lot of people think Stephenson can do more if he kept the ball in his hands and was relied on to do more. He's a team player who fills the stat sheet in every area rather than keep the ball in his hands.

Honestly, he's a mini Lebron. Obviously he's not Lebron, but he's huge for a shooting guard, has the handles and passing ability of point guard, has learned how to shoot and he's hard stop when he drives to the basket. He's so powerful and fast that he usually finishes when he drives to the basket, even if it requires a trick shot.

If you watch him... his stats are a little misleading. He's a better scorer than 13 points. He just doesn't need to score more than that most of the time. The other night against the Kings, he had 13 points in the first half. He didn't score the rest of the game and the Pacers were up by about 30 in the final minutes. He's just a team player.
    Last edited by Romsey31; 01-16-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    Impossible Is Nothing

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we need to contract Lance on the spring. Do what we did with Paul, don't let free agency happen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of teams with $$ will be looking at Lance this summer. We need to pay him whatever it takes
    David "And One" West

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

First, it was DWest and we got him over the Celtics, then it was Hibbert and we retained him from the Blazers. Then, the Lakers was drooling over Paul George and for some reason thought they had a chance, but he's still a Pacers. Of course Hill was prolly wanted by several FO's, but everyone knew he was untouchable. Now we are to Lance and many are wanting, but I think Lance has seen what Larry is about and in Larry he trust. It's stability and Lance will want to continue riding the Pacers train.

It's so awesome for the league and fans around the world to want our starting line up, BUT THEY CAN'T HAVE THEM!!
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 01-16-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Other teams will be willing to overpay for Lance because not only will they be adding a budding young talent, but they would also be sticking it to the Pacers. If you're the Bulls, then it would definitely be worth overpaying him because it would sting the Pacers big time.

The Pacers have no choice, IMHO. You gotta pay the cat whatever it takes. He's too important on the court and I think he has become one of the most important players to the fans. He gets huge ovations and loves interacting with the crowd. After all of the money we shelled out to garbage like Murph/Dun/Ford/Tinsley, it would be pretty hard to accept them letting Lance go. When push comes to shove, I think they will pay him. If they can't re-sign him because of $, then I'd just go back to Florida if I were Bird.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I think we need to contract Lance on the spring. Do what we did with Paul, don't let free agency happen.
    To late, FA will happen.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless his agent is certifiably cognitively damaged, this won't happen.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    A lot of teams with $$ will be looking at Lance this summer. We need to pay him whatever it takes
    I want to keep Lance at a fair price but Lance is not on the level of pay him whatever it takes. Hibbert will be opt out again the following summer and we need to take that attitude with him while saving the money to be able to do it. Right now I think Larry can move enough payroll to pay Lance 8 mil. I'm of the opinion that if it takes 10 mil or more to keep him then we need to let him walk. I don't want to give up George Hill or jepordize being able to keep Hibbert in order to keep Lance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a second round draft pick and wasn't eligible for a big contract extension because his rookie salary is so low. He'll be an unrestricted FA on July 1. He'll be hard to keep without going into the luxury tax - especially after he makes the All-Star Team, is voted the Most Improved Player, the Pacers defeat the Miami Heat in the playoffs, and win their first NBA Championship.

That's a recipe for a near max contract. Example A - Jalen Rose. Example B - Danny Granger. Less complete players who have never won any playoffs series made big paydays last summer. Example A - Tyreke Evans. Example B - Monta Ellis.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I want to keep Lance at a fair price but Lance is not on the level of pay him whatever it takes. Hibbert will be opt out again the following summer and we need to take that attitude with him while saving the money to be able to do it. Right now I think Larry can move enough payroll to pay Lance 8 mil. I'm of the opinion that if it takes 10 mil or more to keep him then we need to let him walk. I don't want to give up George Hill or jepordize being able to keep Hibbert in order to keep Lance.
    If average players like Tyreke Evans get 10 million, than Lance will get at least 10
    David "And One" West

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    They won't. They have at least 1 first round rookie, cap holds, and they plan to sign Mirotic. Possibly two picks (Charlotte's). Even if they renounced all picks (obviously won't happen) and left Mirotic in Europe (probably won't happen, since they'd be left with just Gibson and Noah at big men spots), they'd have some 12 mil in cap space. More likely they'll have around mid level.
    No guarantee that they can get Mirotic to come over. And even if they did, they can free up some more money by moving guys like Dunleavy and Snell (Teague is already an obvious dump). I would if I were them - I think Lance would be a very good fit on the Bulls. I've said before that they're my nightmare scenario in terms of keeping Lance.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I know it's a business and no matter how much you like a team or management, money always talks.

But I haven't felt the way I do about Lance's FA status with any other player.

I don't feel like Lance has any interest in another team. These are his guys. He wants to run with THIS team. His boss loves him. His teammates love him.

We will offer him a fair deal and I think he stays without much concern.

Other players we/other teams have had can say the right thing: "I love this team. I want to stay" and proceed to dart the next day. I truly don't think Lance is like that.

It's just a feeling, but a weird feeling at that
    My guess is that he will have some loyalty to Bird and the Pacers. I said it before....if the difference between the Pacers offer and the best Offer by another Team is $1 mil a year ( probably some offer of $9 mil a year / $36 mil contract offer over $8 mil a year / $32 mil Contract offer )....I think that Loyalty and a chance to play for a near Elite Team wins the day. But if we are talking about $2 to 3 mil a year ( probably some offer closer to $10 to 11 mil a year / $40 mil contract offer compared to a $8 mil a year / $32 mil Contract offer ), I think that $$$ wins the day.

Keep in mind...Lance has invested 3+ years of his career here playing on a 2nd Round Rookie Contract. He's earned his stripes and what appears to be a contract for an above Average Starting SG....I would hate it if he left for more $$$ but honestly, I couldn't blame him. He's earned it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Lance's situation isn't the same as PG24's situation....since his extension wouldn't be the same as what PG24 could get ( cuz he's on a 2nd round rookie contract ). Even I know that it would be stupid for Lance to take the first offer from the Pacers without finding out his true Market Value. He's a UFA...which means that he can see what his market value is and can decide where he wants to go ( regardless of what the Pacers offer ) but that also means that the Pacers can offer a comprable contract in a 5 year contract ( thus having a smaller impact on the Salary Cap .... ie, $44 mil offer / $11 mil a year / 4 year contract compared to a $44 mil offer / $8.5 mil a year / 5 year contract ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo

No Bulls, just no!

It's too early to worry about these things but Lance is a key piece to our team, championship or bust, I hope they'll be able to keep Lance.
    No matter how good you are, there's still a lot of luck involved. - Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    He'll be hard to keep without going into the luxury tax - especially after he makes the All-Star Team, is voted the Most Improved Player, the Pacers defeat the Miami Heat in the playoffs, and win their first NBA Championship.
    I like that line of thinking . If that happens, especially the last one, they'll go into the luxury tax to keep the band together, I have zero doubts. Funny thing, all those things are possible, makes me scared to even think it.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Lance's situation isn't the same as PG24's situation....since his extension wouldn't be the same as what PG24 could get ( cuz he's on a 2nd round rookie contract ). Even I know that it would be stupid for Lance to take the first offer from the Pacers without finding out his true Market Value. He's a UFA...which means that he can see what his market value is and can decide where he wants to go ( regardless of what the Pacers offer ) but that also means that the Pacers can offer a comprable contract in a 5 year contract ( thus having a smaller impact on the Salary Cap .... ie, $44 mil offer / $11 mil a year / 4 year contract compared to a $44 mil offer / $8.5 mil a year / 5 year contract ).
    I was wondering if the extra year/bigger percent raises (home team advantage deal) were in play in Lance's case with him being a second rounder.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    If average players like Tyreke Evans get 10 million, than Lance will get at least 10
    This x1000!
    Look around the NBA and check the contract amount on alot of these players. There's many players out there getting "WTF" type money.

I'm not paying Lance whatever it takes, but at the same time, I'd give him a competitive offer. If the offer is close, I think he may take a bit of a discount to stay with the Pacers.